Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn gets his QB

Started by g-townhog, January 30, 2007, 01:20:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog_fan

Quote from: spacityleopard on January 30, 2007, 02:58:05 pm
I thought this was a Razorback message board, not a Tulsa recruiting board.

Don't like it? Feel free to leave.

HoggieStyle

spacityleopard

And you are who to tell  me to leave?

cessna8667

hog caller

boise states QB was A NO STAR. HE SAID  HIS TEAM TOLD HIM THEY HAD THE CONFIDENCE IN HIMTO WIN THE GAME FOR THEM

HoopS

Quote from: frankwilliams on January 30, 2007, 02:53:05 pm
Quote from: HoopSlap on January 30, 2007, 01:41:27 pm
I haven't seen any of our recruits mentioning Dale as the S.E.C CotY as a reason to come here.    Strange.   They will learn soon enough about how credible that award really is.   

That's not true. Go read the comments of every commit and see what they say. Stop making statements without truly knowing the facts.

You guys were all over HDN because he brought this kid in who didn't have any offers, now it's the end of the world because Gus gets a commitment from him? That's idiotic.

How can you tell me what is and isn't true when I clearly said, "I haven't seen"?   Maybe you have seen it, but I tell you what Frank, I just scrolled through several pages of TRG's recruiting interviews and Houston Nutt being the SEC CotY was not mentioned once... that I read.  Maybe it is slapped all over every interview Otis does.   I wouldn't doubt it.  But my eyes haven't seen it once.  Since you feel the need to tell me to "stop making statements without truly knowing the facts", please  show me the facts.   If you show me where any single one of our commits comments on the fact that Houston was the Coach of the Year, I will go back and edit my post.   

As for the "You guys" part, I assume you mean Darksiders and maybe I berated the heck out of Nutt for bringing him in, but I don't remember that.  Nevertheless, I did say that it will be interesting to see which coach can develop the QB's better.  Gus or us.  I also noted that because some people, not sure if you did or not, some people said that all Gus had gotten in this QB is one that no other schools offered schollies to while the ones we got were offered by others.  Well, seems like the ones we get should be better than his, right?  That will take a couple years, maybe more to prove out.  My money is on Gus.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: abostian on January 30, 2007, 01:41:54 pm
How incredible of a story would it be for Tulsa to actually be in a BCS game in 2 years?

Close to impossible..

dp14

Interesting that a High School kid chose to go play for the National OC of the year and we chose to let him go.

HoopS

Quote from: opineonswine on January 30, 2007, 03:45:40 pm
Quote from: fu-man-soo on January 30, 2007, 01:22:26 pm
we chose joe chiasson over him, i guess we will see.

How do you know WE CHOSE.  Maybe Mike, obviously astute QB, didn't want to play pee wee ball for Nutt.

exactly.   Thanks to Frank, I went back and read some stuff.  This is the guy that sent us tape and we lost it so he had to send it again.  I'm sure that impressed the kid.   Here's another tidbit, seems many thought he was a lock for UNC since Davis was there.   

donthaveone

Quote from: opineonswine on January 30, 2007, 03:45:40 pm
Quote from: fu-man-soo on January 30, 2007, 01:22:26 pm
we chose joe chiasson over him, i guess we will see.

How do you know WE CHOSE.  Maybe Mike, obviously astute QB, didn't want to play pee wee ball for Nutt.

Maybe he was "astute" enough to know that UA had 2 Qb commits and that the UA had not and most likely was not going to offer mr "astute" a scholarship?

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: joebut18 on January 30, 2007, 02:04:38 pm
Quote from: PulledPork on January 30, 2007, 01:47:56 pm
Quote from: brodie_hawg on January 30, 2007, 01:45:03 pm
He might have been looked at by those other schools but from what I remember, he did not have offers.  Joe Chaisson did have early offers from Tenn and LSU but they backed away when he did not want to commit early.  So, I think we chose the better of the two.
anyone willing to make a bet who has the better numbers in 4yrs?

Pulled out...

Suupid bet...you're talking apples and oranges...Hogs don't play a pass-oriented offense.  But I will make a bet on who gets more TV exposure, who plays in more prominent bowl games and who has gained better experience playing against top talent vs. playing ECU and SMU. Get over Gus
I'd be willing to bet he plays in a BCS bowl and Chaisson doesn't (unless he transfers, of course).
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

ceegar

I want Nutt gone.  Let me get that out there.  Why did Johnson not go to UNC.  I guess Gus out recruited Butch.  If we would have offered this kid and Chaisson went to TU then our 2 star guy (Johnson) would have been bashed but since its the other way around our 3 star guy (Chaisson) is not worth the scholie.  I am so confused.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

jhog

Quote from: dp14 on January 30, 2007, 03:47:06 pm
Interesting that a High School kid chose to go play for the National OC of the year and we chose to let him go.
Quote from: dp14 on January 30, 2007, 03:47:06 pm

I thought Gus and Mitch were going to UNC with Butch?  What happened?

ceegar

Oh yea.  I used to live in Tulsa and still pull for the Canes but you may be waiting a long time for a BCS birth.  They would have to go undefeated to be in one.  None of their previous coaches have been able to do it and some of them have moved on to bigger jobs.  But I forgot Gus wasnt there.  My bad.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

Mr. Hog

Wow.  Has anyone from HDN's regime said that we're hoping to contend for a BCS game in a couple
of years?  I don't think I've heard anyone mention that...     Good for Gus...

HEC...I haven't heard Frank or Nutt say anything in a month, That's the problem....They think id they don't address the issues, it will go away...NOT !!!!!!
Go Hogs Go!

vol_in_ar

What do you Arkansas fans care that he signed a 2 star QB....He has to sign someone.

HoopS

Quote from: vol_in_ar on January 30, 2007, 04:11:38 pm
What do you Arkansas fans care that he signed a 2 star QB....He has to sign someone.

Not long ago, we were recruiting this very kid. 

vol_in_ar

Wow
It is bad, if your fighting over a 2-star with Tulsa..

stan the man

Tulsa being in a BCS game is about as likely as Arkansas being in one.  Neither will be and certainly not as long as Nutt and Broyles are still here.

HoopS

Quote from: vol_in_ar on January 30, 2007, 04:15:33 pm
Wow

well, it is debatable if we were still after him or not.... we have 2 commitments already.    Still, we were looking at him at one point.  It's hard to know who got the better talent, but I know who has the better coach.

joebut18

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on January 30, 2007, 03:59:12 pm
Quote from: joebut18 on January 30, 2007, 02:04:38 pm
He might have been looked at by those other schools but from what I remember, he did not have offers.  Joe Chaisson did have early offers from Tenn and LSU but they backed away when he did not want to commit early.  So, I think we chose the better of the two.

Pulled out...

Suupid bet...you're talking apples and oranges...Hogs don't play a pass-oriented offense.  But I will make a bet on who gets more TV exposure, who plays in more prominent bowl games and who has gained better experience playing against top talent vs. playing ECU and SMU. Get over Gus
I'd be willing to bet he plays in a BCS bowl and Chaisson doesn't (unless he transfers, of course).

Easy money.  Let me know next time you play poker. 

Marshfieldhog

I don't care how many stars our players have..bottom line is our coach is a one star and that's the problem.

tbob

I'm not a Hugger but I am getting really fed up with all the Gusloving going on. Michael Johnson suddenly becomes the second coming of Mitch Mustain because he signs with Tulsa? I wish Malazan luck and good wishes but this is the Arkansas board not the Tulsa Hurricane CUSA board. Both Chaisson and N. Dick were more highly regarded than Johnson who had a grand total of one scholarship offer from a Div. 1 team, Tulsa. Now Irwin talks about having Johnson on Press Row???? Who gives a flip if some qb from North Carolina decides to go to Tulsa? We don't have any spots available for qbs and if Johnson WERE offered by the Hawgs and didn't want to come, who cares? We are having a solid recruiting, not spectacular but by Arkansas standards over the last 10 years very solid. If we could get a few more players to commit like William Cole we will be just fine. I found it interesting that a Vol fan hits the nail on the head when he asks why we care about Johnson going to Tulsa. If Butch Davis thought he was such a prize prospect, why didn't he offer and pull out all the stops to land him since he was from NC? This is all much ado about nothing. Dudley Dawson said the one consistent thing he has heard from the players is that they don't begrudge M,W and M leaving but that they have something to prove next year to everyone who is ignoring the guys coming back and they are dedicating themselves to making 2007 a banner year. Let's support Mac, Monk, Luigis, Robinson, Felix and all the players who WANT to be Hawgs and bleed Razorback Red instead of second rate qb prospects and guys who didn't want to be on the bus.

Marshfieldhog

I love Gus Malzahn..Go Tulsa!

rlamb

Yea Duggan, one could shake that head like one of those ghosts from "House on
Haunted Hill" and it still wouldn't do justice to the insanity which is Nuttless' recruiting & Program!!

Pigmund Freud

I find it remarkable that Nutt Huggers automatically claim Dmac's endorsement for whatever they say, in this argument or any other,  apparently from some kind of cave man logic ,"uh... Nutt run ball..Dmac run ball ...Dmac  must like Nutt!..Dmac on our side! " This is profoundly irritating. I suspect he only cares that he has open holes to run through.  Gus' innovations helped open those holes. They shut again after Nutt took the offense back. It's as simple as that.  But
Dmac , as far as I know , hasn't declared himself a hugger, except to stay on the team.

mikeirwin

Quote from: formerhoglover on January 30, 2007, 04:38:42 pm
I find it remarkable that Nutt Huggers automatically claim Dmac's endorsement for whatever they say, in this argument or any other,  apparently from some kind of cave man logic ,"uh... Nutt run ball..Dmac run ball ...Dmac  must like Nutt!..Dmac on our side! " This is profoundly irritating. I suspect he only cares that he has open holes to run through.  Gus innovations helped open those holes. They shut again after Nutt took the offense back. It's as simple as that.  But
Dmac , as far as I know , hasn't declared himself a hugger, except to stay on the team.
Mc Fadden said last summer that he could not wait to play for Gus. He said he was looking forward to catching the football and he felt like Gus's offense would open up more holes for him. He was smiling when he said it.
I still have his comments on tape in my office.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: HoopSlap on January 30, 2007, 04:21:21 pm
Quote from: vol_in_ar on January 30, 2007, 04:15:33 pm
Wow

well, it is debatable if we were still after him or not.... we have 2 commitments already.    Still, we were looking at him at one point.  It's hard to know who got the better talent, but I know who has the better coach.

This is the root of our problem on the hill today...... Coaching!

tbob

Aren't Malzahn and Alex Wood getting a free pass for their inability to develop Casey Dick and Mitch Mustain last season. Yes MM was a freshman and Dick just a soph but can anyone say they truly "developed" and became better qbs from the beginning until the end of the season? We ranked last in the SEC in qb effectiveness last season and had it not been for Felix and DMac we would have been battling it out with MSU for worst offensive team in the league.

tbob

Aren't Malzahn and Alex Wood getting a free pass for their inability to develop Casey Dick and Mitch Mustain last season. Yes MM was a freshman and Dick just a soph but can anyone say they truly "developed" and became better qbs from the beginning until the end of the season? We ranked last in the SEC in qb effectiveness last season and had it not been for Felix and DMac we would have been battling it out with MSU for worst offensive team in the league.

silvertip

Quote from: tbob on January 30, 2007, 04:28:38 pm

... We are having a solid recruiting, not spectacular but by Arkansas standards over the last 10 years very solid..."

Please fill me in with some facts that make you think this is a "very solid" recruiting year, by Arkansas standards over the last ten years.

It is easy for me to look at Hog recruiting classes since '02, on rivals.com, and conclude that this might turn out to be the worst since before '02.

And please, if all you have is quotes by Dudley, Odus, or Clay...forget it.

HoopS

Quote from: tbob on January 30, 2007, 04:49:02 pm

Without Peyton Manning, the Colts would be battling the Houston Texans for one of the weakest offenses around... WTH?   How many qb's have we "developed" with Nutt around?   

birdhawg

I don't even know where to start on this deal. Mike, I'm not trying to be disrespectful here, but why do we Hog fans care about talking to someone who committed to Tulsa? I mean if your gonna do that why not talk to someone who signed with USC? or Texas? Let's really talk to some high profile guys. Second of all I'm sick of you hypocrites rallying for Gus, you guys are nothing but a bunch of marks for Malzahn! Here we have two pages of crap about them signing a two star guy but I bet there isn't 40 posts about us getting a 4* DE today, and BTW both of our qb committs are higher rated than this guy.

You guys really need to examine where your loyalties lie.  Some of you think it's gonna be funny to keep up with how this qb does here and that one does there, my question is are you serious?! I for one wish you jerks would just leave! Go start an I LOVE MALZAHN, AND MUSTAIN website and have a great life. I'm gonna root for the Hogs and quit bitching whether I like Nutt and Broyles or not! And for the record I don't!

Pigmund Freud

Can't defend losing your 5-star recruits and an innovative coach? Yell.. yeah, that's the ticket , just yell at us jerks who don't care about the program.

86jacketstchamps

I cannot wait to hear the spin on this, here is a QB that we needed, this according the DTS and Otis.  I can see it now, this recruit will end up being very overated before it is all said and done.  They will rake him over the coals.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: SuperHog on January 30, 2007, 01:23:42 pm
I hope that kid goes to TU and throws for 10,000 yds under Gus.

Me too and I hope Gus gets everyone he goes after. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

joebut18

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 30, 2007, 05:38:38 pm
Quote from: SuperHog on January 30, 2007, 01:23:42 pm
I hope that kid goes to TU and throws for 10,000 yds under Gus.

Me too and I hope Gus gets everyone he goes after. 

I hope he gets you to convert from a hog fan to a golden whatever fan, too.

missippihog

This has to do with Razorback sports how?

razorhog52

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 30, 2007, 02:12:17 pm
Quote from: donthaveone on January 30, 2007, 02:07:21 pm
Quote from: EastexHawg on January 30, 2007, 01:58:37 pm
And which of Nutt's current QBs either had, when he signed with Arkansas...or has currently, as a 2007 recruit...offers from other big time, BCS conference programs?

RJ (Nebraska, KSU) and Chaisson (Mizzou, A&M)

In the first place, RJ is not a QB.  In the second place, I have never seen anything to indicate that Nebraska actually offered him.

I guess I missed the part about A&M offering Chaisson.  Do you have a link?

Here is a free rivals article about RoJo having Nebraska, Arkansas, and Kansas St. in his top 3. If you don't have a premium membership you can't read the other articles about his offers. If you really care, sign up for a free 7 day trial.
http://arkansas.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1033&CID=143981

Here is an article about Chaisson and his offers from LSU, Tennessee, Missouri, Baylor, and Iowa St. This was early in the process and many schools dropped him after they got committments from other QB's

http://arkansas.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1033&CID=537264

pigfeet

Quote from: g-townhog on January 30, 2007, 01:20:50 pm

Durham (NC) Hillside quarterback Mike Johnson received an in-home visit over the weekend from Tulsa Co-Offensive Coordinator Gus Malzahn. Johnson says he is very impressed with the new direction of the Golden Hurricane program, which caused him to give a verbal commitment last night.

Mike Johnson committed to Tulsa
"I actually told him a couple days ago, but it just kind of became official today," Johnson said Sunday night. "Coach Malzahn came and visited, and he offered last week. We had a nice talk, and everything went real well."

Johnson made waves during his senior season, which caught the eye of many college programs, including Miami, Ohio State, Michigan State and North Carolina. Arkansas, where Malzahn coached last year, was also in the mix and hosted Johnson on a visit in December. That is when the 6-foot-1 and 210-pound field general struck up a relationship with the former Razorback offensive coordinator.

"We started to have a little bit of a relationship when I went down to Arkansas," Johnson explained. "He's the national offensive coordinator of the year. Who better to learn from right now? And he's also going to be the quarterbacks coach."

"The style of offense he's going to bring to Tulsa is going to be fun and exciting to watch over the next couple of years. Coach Malzahn has high hopes. He tells me they have high expectations the next couple of years."

Johnson will take an official visit to Tulsa this weekend. He is excited about his college choice and looks forward to joining a successful program.

"They've been to bowl games three times out of the last four years," he stated. "They're a program on the rise, and they're looking to contend for a BCS bowl game as early as next year, really."

As a senior last year, Johnson completed 65-percent of his passes for 3,142 yards and 27 touchdowns.

I'm happy for the kid. He chose wise going to play for Gus and not messing with the MSM.

Frank and Swine

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 30, 2007, 01:51:22 pm

Pulled out...

Tulsa doesn't play in the SEC so its not a fair comparison.  If the kid throws for 500 yards a game against Rice, SMU, Tulane, ECU, and the rest of CUSA its not that big a deal.

That's probably what Oklahoma was thinking prior to their bowl game this year.

razorhog52

Quote from: pigfeet on January 30, 2007, 06:03:00 pm
Quote from: g-townhog on January 30, 2007, 01:20:50 pm

Durham (NC) Hillside quarterback Mike Johnson received an in-home visit over the weekend from Tulsa Co-Offensive Coordinator Gus Malzahn. Johnson says he is very impressed with the new direction of the Golden Hurricane program, which caused him to give a verbal commitment last night.

Mike Johnson committed to Tulsa
"I actually told him a couple days ago, but it just kind of became official today," Johnson said Sunday night. "Coach Malzahn came and visited, and he offered last week. We had a nice talk, and everything went real well."

Johnson made waves during his senior season, which caught the eye of many college programs, including Miami, Ohio State, Michigan State and North Carolina. Arkansas, where Malzahn coached last year, was also in the mix and hosted Johnson on a visit in December. That is when the 6-foot-1 and 210-pound field general struck up a relationship with the former Razorback offensive coordinator.

"We started to have a little bit of a relationship when I went down to Arkansas," Johnson explained. "He's the national offensive coordinator of the year. Who better to learn from right now? And he's also going to be the quarterbacks coach."

"The style of offense he's going to bring to Tulsa is going to be fun and exciting to watch over the next couple of years. Coach Malzahn has high hopes. He tells me they have high expectations the next couple of years."

Johnson will take an official visit to Tulsa this weekend. He is excited about his college choice and looks forward to joining a successful program.

"They've been to bowl games three times out of the last four years," he stated. "They're a program on the rise, and they're looking to contend for a BCS bowl game as early as next year, really."

As a senior last year, Johnson completed 65-percent of his passes for 3,142 yards and 27 touchdowns.

I'm happy for the kid. He chose wise going to play for Gus and not messing with the MSM.

He didn't have a choice. He chose to go to the place that offered him a scholarship. If he wanted to go to Arkansas, it would of had to of been as a walk on.

rude1

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 30, 2007, 01:31:14 pm
Mike Johnson can't be very good.  In addition to Tulsa, he was only recruited by Miami, Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan State, and North Carolina (according to Rivals). 

The really good QBs are the ones HDN steals away from Baylor, Indiana, Iowa State, Missouri, Houston, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Rice, SMU, Texas State, and UTEP.
It's the age old recruiting trick. When you sign a kid, you mention all the big boys who sent out letters to the kid, but you neglect to mention how many of those schools actually OFFERED. I can't say what the kid will ultimately be. I think it's a bit premature to think this kid, who wasn't highly rated is some kind of coo by Gus.
Seriously, I have no idea how good Mike Johnson is...and how his talent level compares to Nutt's QB recruits.  I do, however, have a good idea that he will get much better coaching from Gus Malzahn at Tulsa than he would have gotten from Nutt's Academy of QB Development at Arkansas.

Paulie Walnuts

I don't see any sources cited here, and he hasn't actually signed him yet. So wouldn't this fall under the category of "rumors?"

Sao Ming

Quote from: mikeirwin on January 30, 2007, 01:27:58 pm
We talked to him on Press Row.
I think we'll try to have him on again.

Why?  Are you going to ask him why all of the other programs did not offer him?  Nonetheless, please post when yo have him on...that one I will not miss.  Why it's important, is beyond me.

donthaveone

Quote from: Sao Ming on January 30, 2007, 06:46:00 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on January 30, 2007, 01:27:58 pm
We talked to him on Press Row.
I think we'll try to have him on again.

Why?  Are you going to ask him why all of the other programs did not offer him?  Nonetheless, please post when yo have him on...that one I will not miss.  Why it's important, is beyond me.

Man crush.

deshahawg

The funny thing about that post is that TULSA will be competing for a BCS game next year. I doubt I'll see that in my lifetime.

Dwight_K_Shrute

What I'm really looking forward to is reading Hogville next football season.  I hope Hog game and Tulsa game are on at the same time.  If Tulsa is having success and we are getting stuffed on our 15 run up the middle on 3rd and whatever in a row, the meltdown will go thermo-nuclear and be entertaining as hell.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

donthaveone

Quote from: deshahawg on January 30, 2007, 07:46:13 pm
The funny thing about that post is that TULSA will be competing for a BCS game next year. I doubt I'll see that in my lifetime.

Boy, you really went out on a limb there. The funny thing is that about 80-100 teams WILL BE COMPETING for a BCS game. And Tulsa is not in that group.

Temprees

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 30, 2007, 01:51:22 pm

Pulled out...

Tulsa doesn't play in the SEC so its not a fair comparison.  If the kid throws for 500 yards a game against Rice, SMU, Tulane, ECU, and the rest of CUSA its not that big a deal.
That's the same thing that some said about Tavarious Jackson, when he was piling up passing yards at lowly Alabama State.