Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who thinks we are their biggest rival?

Started by blue, January 28, 2007, 09:04:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

red_powerade

Arkansas State we don't even have to play against each other....

preach33

I would have to say UL Monroe - since HDN has been here - we need that rivalry game bad - used to be Texas to soem degree. Maybe we need to pick a fight with U of Memphis

DeltaBoy

Ole Miss and MSU Football
LSU and Kentucky BB
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LunaticRed

vol_in_ar

Quote from: jbcarol on January 29, 2007, 06:02:41 am
Quote from: vol_in_ar on January 29, 2007, 05:57:49 am
I would say Ole Miss, but you have to remember the Egg Bowl.

When Mr. jb asked his buddy the Vol Fan about the old beer barrel rivalry with KY at the end of the year -- Well after he got through laughing he said the KY and Vandy games may have felt like rivalries on one side but for UT it was chalk it up two wins at the end of the season.  What rivalry?  I loved that :)

True
It use to be Alabama, but now it's more Florida and GA.  That might change if Saban turns Bama around.

311Hog

RedSatinHog

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 29, 2007, 07:45:23 am
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on January 29, 2007, 07:36:10 am
Absolutely no one else regards the U of A as their biggest game in any sport.

For Ole Miss, it's Mississippi State.

For Mississippi State, it's Ole Miss.

For Kentucky, it's Louisville, then Tennessee.

For Alabama, their big game is Auburn, and vice versa.

For Georgia, it is a toss-up between GT and Florida.

For Florida, it's FSU.

For Tennessee, it's Florida.

For South Carolina, it's Clemson.

For LSU, it's Alabama.

I don't know if Vandy even has a rival.

Texas never viewed us as even their No. 2 rival.  For them, it's A&M, then OU.

Vandy has Tennessee

Yeah, I guess that would make sense, but it really doesn't seem like the folks at Vandy are as concerned with beating the Vols as they are with actually expecting their "athletes" to finish their degrees.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Rsvlhog

In basketball I thought that Texas was somewhat of a rival. Especially when they had ole Tommy Penders. Man that guy hated losing to us. I still laugh thinking about when Nolan walked off the court in protest and then came back when it went into overtime and we beat them and Nolan said later after the game he had to take a dump. Mayberry hit that amazing three and Penders got red in the face with his honky afro he had going man those were the days.
Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

budcampbellfan

You want a hot rivalry you gotta beat somebody as often as they beat you in big games where championships are on the line.  Otherwise forget it.  We ain't there and haven't been for decades. 

Obviously there has to be a change of attitude in this state and our university athletic administrators.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Pigskin_Porker

Quote from: budcampbellfan on January 29, 2007, 10:27:37 pm
You want a hot rivalry you gotta beat somebody as often as they beat you in big games where championships are on the line.  Otherwise forget it.  We ain't there and haven't been for decades. 

Obviously there has to be a change of attitude in this state and our university athletic administrators.

Sad isn't it . . .
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

cosmodrum

Quote from: blue on January 28, 2007, 09:04:10 pm
I hear people talk about all of our rivals. Who circles Arkansas as their biggest win?

Nobody. We are a joke to everybody but us.
Go away, batin'

Pork Authority

Quote from: blue on January 28, 2007, 09:04:10 pm
I hear people talk about all of our rivals. Who circles Arkansas as their biggest win?

I've have to say Ft Smith High has been waiting for a chance at payback since 1902.

Arkansas Student

I'm gonna go with ULM. Who else gives them any attention besides us?
"Go-Hogs-Go-Hogs-Halt-Kick-Swtich-WHOOP-Boom!" no longer truly exists.

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: atekido on January 28, 2007, 09:19:46 pm
i wish we would have kept playing USC as first game.  i think that would have turned into a HUGE rivalry.
With a humongoloid lopsided total score! I mean, in 2 tries they beat us down 120-31! Multiply that by 10 and you get 1200-310. That's what I call a good old-fashion man-raping.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

jbcarol

I think there is some geographic isolation mixed with moving to a conference that has old blood centered in Alabama and Georgia.  For example when the SEC split divisions Auburn and Georgia were holding out for fear they might have to end their annual football rival.  So they put in a compromise that there would be one team in the other division that you permanently play.  Who's Arkansas' rival?  You may know but was that a traditional rival?  So Auburn was real smart?  They play the west each year, they are guaranteed to play Georgia and in the other games there's a chance it could be Florida or Tennessee.  Another way would be forget rival and let's get Vandy or Kentucky as that permanent opponent.

Fans of Kentucky basketball who are holding on and cannot let go of the '90's and therefore they can't let go of Arkansas.  Too many great regular season and SEC Tourney games.  They may not know as much about the 'Hogs this year (they are about to find out) but they will want to tune in on LFS.

Arkansas - LSU football is a thanksgiving weekend tradition for some of us way out of the state as well.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hogfan064

The kids growing up today will help Arkansas out with the intensity of its SEC rivalries.  In 40 years from now when all the SWC folks have died off or are to old to care then you will see SEC fans hating Arkansas even more.  Frank of course will be celebrating his 90th year with the Hogs at this time.

hogfan064

Quote from: Arkansas Student on January 29, 2007, 10:43:43 pm
I'm gonna go with ULM. Who else gives them any attention besides us?

ULL and La Tech

Pigmund Freud

I don't know.. a couple of years ago, I heard chuckles try to engage a Texas fan in this same argument (We were Too a rival!) , and finally the Texas guy said, in exasperation, "OK ...in 1969 you were a rival, the rest of the time you were Baylor to us !"

Unfortunately, with hindsight, I think that's closer to the truth, except maybe during the 60's when Ar/Tx were 5 and 5 or so.

I always liked to believe that when other teams were forced to think about us, that they had a sense of dread , like " uh oh, these guys can come down out of the hills and beat you at any time ". But it hasn't been like that in the SEC. No one could fear something so predictable as our coaching plan.

HoopS

RAZORBART

La. monroe in football since we play them every year and it is always a home game for them that would constitute an instate rivalary ?

Basketball I would say SE Mo. or Stephan F. austin or some of those big powerhouses we schedule every year.