Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most over rated college coach in America

Started by VolHogg, January 26, 2007, 03:55:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VolHogg

My pick is Houston Nutt.  Any other names that jump out at you?

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

PulledPork

King-Tusk

I doubt you'll get any other responses other than hdn.
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

Oliver

I doubt Houston can be overrated because nobody really holds him in that high of regard when it comes to talking about great coaches.

My pick is Jeff Tedford.  For all the hype this guy gets and as much talent as he has, they have never been to a BCS bowlgame.

WarEagle

I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

RhodeHog

cosmodrum

Quote from: WarEagle on January 26, 2007, 03:56:50 pm
Charlie Weis

Right on the money. I think he's a great coach, but far overrated, at least in terms of what he's done at ND. He's done a good job, but the media props this guy up like he's friggin Woody Hayes.
Go away, batin'

GBPackerFan

Charlie Weis
Absolutely.  Everyone is acting like this guy is Bill Belichick.

Bomis Hawg

John L. Smith.  Pumped up his resume then tanked after getting money and running from L'ville.
Les Miles.  Can recruit, but I don't think he's as good of a overall coach.  He can get quality assistants.
Frank Beamer.  Solid coach, but he doesn't have a good record against the elite that he's faced.
Ralph Friedgen.  Very good coordinator.  Had good seasons to start, not much since.

HoggieStyle

Wies, Nutt, Fulmer...personally, I think Tuberville is overrated.

hognelson

I think Les Miles is.  Has awesome assistants and gets awesome recruits there.

92VolGrad

I know yall dont like Fulmer  but come on, overrated he aint,  has almost a 80% winning percentage in the SEC over 15 years, not too shabby if you ask me.

Stella

mword

WBChogfan

Charlie Weis

Although it isn't all his fault--everything at ND is hyped beyond belief.

dirtydoghog

Les Miles - Before going to LSU, made his name by beating OU twice but never could beat Texas.
Charlie Weis - What really have you proved other than that you can help ND get bowl games they are not qualified for?

Rsvlhog

Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

kmoore

Fulmer, hands down. The biggest snake in the grass in college football!!!
GO HOGS!!!!!

bigyellowdog

Dennis Franchionne
Rick Neuheisel
Charlie Weiss
David Lee

StoernerJonesFan

HDN
Nutt
Houston
Houston Dale
Houston Dale Nutt
The Right Reverend

...and Les Miles

missippihog

Porquemada

The Ole Ball Coach, Jabba the Fulmer, Bob Stoops, and the Bowden boy that coaches Clemson. Speaking of Bowdens, why hasn't Terry ever coached again?  ???

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on January 26, 2007, 04:05:54 pm
John L. Smith.  Pumped up his resume then tanked after getting money and running from L'ville.
Les Miles.  Can recruit, but I don't think he's as good of a overall coach.  He can get quality assistants.
Frank Beamer.  Solid coach, but he doesn't have a good record against the elite that he's faced.
Ralph Friedgen.  Very good coordinator.  Had good seasons to start, not much since.

id say freidgen as well.  i would not include john l smith since he just got canned

Mark Martin Fan

Quote from: missippihog on January 26, 2007, 04:40:56 pm
Charlie Weis

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

I agree...we have the winner.  For somebody who is supposed to be so great, they haven't won a bowl game and stunk it up against top 20 competition.  They got hammered by LSU...much worse than we did...
Hog Fan for Life!!!!

Bomis Hawg

I didn't think about Smith getting canned.  He would've been on that list a year or two ago.  He took the money and ran away from L'ville.  Didn't get very far in the Big Ten.

When players are getting calls and texts on the sidelines about you leaving, that's not good.

allyoucaneatbuffet

HawgG

This is easy,

Basketball-Mark Gottfried-Numerous All SEC players in his 9 years and currently 4 first round NBA draft picks in the starting lineup.Where are the achievements with all that talent?

Football-Ron Zook-This guy is probably the best recruiter in college football but he up to this point has not had the success on the field.Take a look where his current class ranks at Illinois.They are ranked 12th by both Scout and Rivals.com coming off a 2 win season.The man can recruit.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

grizzlyhawg

fu-man-soo

boy, after looking at this list there must not be any good coaches.  if winning national championships doesnt make you a good coach what does?

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

aloha_kid

Quote from: Yindao on January 26, 2007, 03:56:02 pm
Fulmer

You gotta be kidding me.  His record speaks for itself.  How does a record of 128-37 (.776) make him overated?

PigSue-E

Charlie Weiss is overrated at the moment.  Give him  a couple of years some defensive talent and a decent DC and the tune, perhaps, will be different.  He's got a ton of talent waiting in the wings so time will tell.

LZH

Who's gonna be the first to say Gus?...c'mon Huggers, here's your chance...get some.

Porquemada

Quote from: aloha_kid on January 26, 2007, 05:20:26 pm
Fulmer

You gotta be kidding me.  His record speaks for itself.  How does a record of 128-37 (.776) make him overated?
Maybe he thought it said, "overweighted". Honest mistake.

Hugulus Hog

RumRunner

Pete Carroll.  Winning with the best team money can buy.  8)

Hogphilia

Les Miles is the worst.  Nuttboy comes in second.

scorekeeper

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

HOGSWEAT

Pete Carroll by far... the man has done practically nothing at USC... 

I mean the way people talk about him, you'd think he's won 2 national championships, finished in the top 10 5 times in a row, and had a top 5 recruiting class for the past 4 years.... what a joke...

MurrayStMafioso

I agree on Charlie Weis.

Another is Kirk Ferentz.  He's one of the top 3 coaching salaries in the nation.  Iowa's last two years are 7-5 and 6-7.  Not getting a return on their investment if you ask me.  Arkansas' recruiting class this year is also better than Iowa's according to rankings (and we all know how everyone feels about Arkansas' class).
"Give me one plausible scenario that allows the Hogs to play for the NC after getting our arses handed to us by USC on primetime national television.  You can't, because in order to believe Arkansas will play in the NC game requires a suspension of disbelief.  No team that loses to ANYONE by 36 points will EVER win a NC.  Anyone who believes differently is simply lying to themselves." Hong Kong Sooey

hognelson

Cornhogio

Quote from: Porquemada on January 26, 2007, 05:47:08 pm
Fulmer

ovuh weighted?  does danny nutt think we're ranked to high?  :D
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

Pigskin_Porker

"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

aloha_kid

Quote from: Porquemada on January 26, 2007, 05:47:08 pm
Fulmer

You got that one right ;)  I think maybe this thread should be most hated.  I mean really Saban, Fulmer, Miles (see how he does without Jimbo) etc are pretty good coaches.  Weiss on the other hand is WAY over rated.  After a coach has history that is the best way to tell if they are overated or not.  My reasoning is how well do you do with the players you recruited,not what you have left over from the last guy.  For instance HDN won with Fords recruits.  This year he may have 3 players go in the first 3 rounds of the NFL draft (based on Mels big board) and he wins only 10 games.... how does that happen?  Look at how many players from UA have been drafted or are currently playing in the NFL opposed to 10 years ago.  It looks like the players are there, the results aren't.