Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whos the Best Athlete of Their time?

Started by ArchitectHog, January 26, 2007, 08:56:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchitectHog

All things considered, who would you consider the best overall player?
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

HogNuttz

Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Jim Brown or Bo Jackson

I dont know if many people know this but a lot of people consider Jim Brown as the best Lacrosse Player to ever live, thats right i said Lacrosse

kuhog

Wilt Chamberlain & Jim Thorpe - two of the best athletes during their time. I know Jordan, Jackson, Brown and a few others can be mentioned, but Chamberlain & Thorpe were dominant in many various sports.

holman24

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on January 26, 2007, 09:03:19 am
Bo Jackson!

Most defintely. A unbelievable performer on the gridiron and diamond. Ah, what could've been...
Go away, batin'

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BILLYBOB

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

ArchitectHog

The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

cosmodrum

Quote from: kuhog on January 26, 2007, 09:23:00 am
Wilt Chamberlain & Jim Thorpe - two of the best athletes during their time. I know Jordan, Jackson, Brown and a few others can be mentioned, but Chamberlain & Thorpe were dominant in many various sports.

Good point. Unlike Bo Jackson, however, they weren't dominant in two of the four so-called "major" sports in America. That is, Football, Baseball, basketball, and hockey. Not to my knowledge, at least.
Go away, batin'

ArchitectHog

Quote from: BILLYBOB on January 26, 2007, 09:30:33 am
Ali

you think that Tyson could have beaten him in his prime. Guess we'll never know

razorson

Theolesnort

Quote from: razorson on January 26, 2007, 09:32:48 am
Jim Thorpe could do it all.
For his time Thorpe was so far in front of his contemporaries he was like a superman.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Mister_BS

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 26, 2007, 09:31:54 am

Good point. Unlike Bo Jackson, however, they weren't dominant in two of the four so-called "major" sports in America. That is, Football, Baseball, basketball, and hockey. Not to my knowledge, at least.
Jim Thorpe played baseball for John McGraw's New York Giants. Thorpe also won the decathlon AND pentathlon (no longer a men's Olympic event) in the 1912 Olympics, a feat not accomplished before or since.

So, to argue your line of thinking, Bo was never dominant on the world's biggest stage: the Olympic Games.

Thorpe was the best college football player before pro football began. He led a small unknown school to wins against the top powers of the day. and he was the first marqee man in the NFL.

Thorpe was chosen the greatest athlete of the first half-century.

Bo was phenomenal but didn't dominate his era the way Thorpe did. Case closed.

Mister_BS

Quote from: R_Chi_TeKHoG on January 26, 2007, 09:32:39 am
Ali

no way, no how, at no time. not unless it was tyson in his prime and ali on the verge of retirement

ali was the best combination of size and speed, ability to take a punch, deliver a flurry or a big blow, along with intelligence of any boxer ever

Woopsie

Dave Winfield,

Most of you know him by his hall of fame baseball career.  However is is one of two athletes to ever be drafted in three different pro sports and the only one to be drafted in four!!!

he was drafted by the

San Diego Padres
Minnesota Vikings (despite not playing college football)
Utah Stars (ABA)
Atlanta Hawks (NBA)

The padres also placed him directly into the Majors with no minor league stint.  That is truly rare in the modern era. 

He has to at least be  given some consideration.

hogfan064

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 26, 2007, 09:56:35 am
Ali

no way, no how, at no time. not unless it was tyson in his prime and ali on the verge of retirement

ali was the best combination of size and speed, ability to take a punch, deliver a flurry or a big blow, along with intelligence of any boxer ever

Ali was amazing.  I honestly believe that man could've been a all pro RB in the NFL.  He was just that great of an athlete and so ahead of his time in the way he spoke and thought. 

I'd have to go with Ali or Jackson as best athlete ever.   

hogfan064

Quote from: Woopsie on January 26, 2007, 10:08:51 am
Dave Winfield,

Most of you know him by his hall of fame baseball career.  However is is one of two athletes to ever be drafted in three different pro sports and the only one to be drafted in four!!!

he was drafted by the

San Diego Padres
Minnesota Vikings (despite not playing college football)
Utah Stars (ABA)
Atlanta Hawks (NBA)

The padres also placed him directly into the Majors with no minor league stint.  That is truly rare in the modern era. 

He has to at least be  given some consideration.

Good call.  I forget about him.

TushCrush

Ali

Ali would've put the big hurt on Tyson ... no doubt about it. Tyson can't hold a candle to Ali.

oldfart

he was apparently a monster lacrosse player. who would stand in the way of jim brown with a stick in his hand??

Quote from: Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on January 26, 2007, 09:13:14 am
Jim Brown or Bo Jackson

I dont know if many people know this but a lot of people consider Jim Brown as the best Lacrosse Player to ever live, thats right i said Lacrosse

TushCrush

Ali

Word ...

oldfart

wilt was a great track athlete.  he tried the discus but could not stay in that ring during the toss because of his long legs... 

Calvin N Hawgs

StoernerJonesFan

Matt Jones...

No, I'm just kidding.  I'm playing favorites.

My real choice:
Mitch Mustain.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 26, 2007, 09:54:39 am
Quote from: cosmodrum on January 26, 2007, 09:31:54 am

Jim Thorpe played baseball for John McGraw's New York Giants. Thorpe also won the decathlon AND pentathlon (no longer a men's Olympic event) in the 1912 Olympics, a feat not accomplished before or since.

So, to argue your line of thinking, Bo was never dominant on the world's biggest stage: the Olympic Games.

Thorpe was the best college football player before pro football began. He led a small unknown school to wins against the top powers of the day. and he was the first marqee man in the NFL.

Thorpe was chosen the greatest athlete of the first half-century.

Bo was phenomenal but didn't dominate his era the way Thorpe did. Case closed.

Bo's career was cut short, so as far as dominance in an era is concerned, we'll never know. That being said, I had no idea Thorpe played for McGraw. And you bring up a good point regarding the Olympics.
Go away, batin'

Mister_BS

Quote from: oldfart on January 26, 2007, 10:28:50 am
wilt was a great track athlete.  he tried the discus but could not stay in that ring during the toss because of his long legs... 

I think Wilt held the Big 8 record in the 400-yard dash for many years. He was a phenomenal track athlete

bearcathog

January 26, 2007, 10:49:14 am #29 Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 11:18:56 am by bearcathog
"Babe" Didrikson Zaharis-voted 10th greatest althlete of all time-dominant in track & field/basketball/golf

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00014147.html
"Never Trust a Bunny" Wolf to Twitchy

arktennis

Roger Federer. Nobody totally dominates the field like this guy does. He has beaten the other Top 10 players 6-0 at least once and has dominated every tournament for years now.  In his prime, playing well, nobody else in the world can come close to touching him and they all know and admit it.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: R_Chi_TeKHoG on January 26, 2007, 08:56:41 am
All things considered, who would you consider the best overall player?

Jim Thorpe or Bo Jackson.

ALthough Barry Sanders was scary......REALLY scary.

Silver Hog

PennHOG

Quote from: arktennis on January 26, 2007, 10:52:30 am
Roger Federer. Nobody totally dominates the field like this guy does. He has beaten the other Top 10 players 6-0 at least once and has dominated every tournament for years now.  In his prime, playing well, nobody else in the world can come close to touching him and they all know and admit it.

I was thinking this too.  Pete Sampras and Andre Aggasi will be an after thought when Federer is all done.  He's the greatest to ever step on a tennis court.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Mister_BS

Quote from: swisshog on January 26, 2007, 11:01:26 am
Jesse Owesn
hard to argue with owens. he's probably in the top 5 of any credible list

BumpieJohnson

Dave Winfield, he also did not play in the minnor leagues

Mister_BS

Quote from: bearcathog on January 26, 2007, 10:49:14 am
"Babe" Didrikson Zaharis

out of the woods with that one. great pic, tho. a great track star, golfer and played hoops, i think. the first woman to play in a men's PGA (redundant, I know) event.

Babe Ruth is another great choice that I don't think has made this discussion yet. He was a terrific athlete: an above-average outfielder until about 1930 when he was mid-30s and overweight, a good baserunner and a guy who probably would've made the Hall of Fame as a pitcher if he hadn't become the MOST DOMINANT hitter of his generation and all time

John Futrall

Of their time? Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, Ali, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong

Of ALL time? Ali, Jordan, Babe Ruth

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Quote from: mikeyg31 on January 26, 2007, 11:22:11 am

I get tired of the Ali argument, without his political side he would never be mentioned.

TushCrush

Quote from: Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on January 26, 2007, 11:39:59 am

I get tired of the Ali argument, without his political side he would never be mentioned.

Yeah right. You got it ... he couldn't box. It was smoke and mirrors.
Although the Ali pick is intriquing, I would probably go Thorpe.

hogsNbeer

Of all time.....Mine has always been George "Babe" Ruth.....

Mister_BS

i disagree. he's still the only guy to reclaim the heavyweight crown twice, which does mean he lost it twice. But have you ever watched film of Ali before his 3.5 year hiatus? He was simply the best ever.

that said, he's in the top 10 of my list, at best, when discussing top athletes of all time

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 26, 2007, 11:57:07 am

i disagree. he's still the only guy to reclaim the heavyweight crown twice, which does mean he lost it twice. But have you ever watched film of Ali before his 3.5 year hiatus? He was simply the best ever.

that said, he's in the top 10 of my list, at best, when discussing top athletes of all time

Im not saying he isnt one of the greatest boxers of all time but i just think with out the politics surrounding him then he would just be mentioned in the same conversations as other great boxers. 

RBLtoHOG

In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

Dugann

Jim thorpe
babe ruth
ted williams
ali
jorden
tiger woods
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

hogfan064

Quote from: RBLtoHOG on January 26, 2007, 12:08:12 pm
Rocky Balboa

Debate over.  Rocky wins.

Forrest Gump has to be 2nd though.  Noone could stop that guy at Bama :)

ThisLittlePiggie

Ali

I guess it's a matter of opinion whether or not Cassius Clay aka Mohammed Ali could take a punch or not. From his speech and motor skills he may not have been taking those punches as well as it appeared at the time.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

January 26, 2007, 12:34:59 pm #48 Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 12:36:39 pm by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater
Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on January 26, 2007, 12:22:52 pm
Ali

I guess it's a matter of opinion whether or not Cassius Clay aka Mohammed Ali could take a punch or not. From his speech and motor skills he may not have been taking those punches as well as it appeared at the time.

The parkinson's causes that, his mind is still there so he isnt punch drunk. His doctors still dont know if boxing had anything to do with it. With that being said, im sure it didnt help.

MHHog

MJ and I'm not talking about Matt Jones.