Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lets move Hogs to easier conference!

Started by BartIV, January 25, 2007, 11:05:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GWFan

January 26, 2007, 03:34:12 am #50 Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 03:44:09 am by GWFan
Move to an easier conference?  Why not just hire Gus and his HUNH spread and win here in the SEC?   ;-)

atekido

could you imagine Gus and Mitch at south carolina with spurrier.  passing all day long lol.

jbcarol

Quote from: oldfart on January 25, 2007, 02:10:29 pm
we get an equal share in all the bowl pools.  six or seven SEC teams go to bowls each year. In other podunk conferences only one or at the most two go, usually to a low paying bowl..  so even if we are a pissant team in the SEC we get more money than winning in a podunk conference...

Quote from: BartIV on January 25, 2007, 11:36:27 am
I think Arkansas could make more money winning with a lesser conference. Arkansas makes more money filling seats and merchandise. Winning fills seats and sells merchandise. How does Arkansas get more money playing in the SEC? Does the SEC dole out money to teams?

Absolutely correct.  The revenue sharing in the SEC is what would keep a Vandy who does not even have a dedicated athletic department viable.  With nine SEC football teams in bowls this year it was only better. 

The situation is also a part of my theory for why SEC football officiating seems biased toward the schools centered in the deep south and including Tennessee and Florida.  If the traditional schools win and get to the better bowls it seems like all schools get a better cut and the refs have been given their instructions.  The most blatant example of this was Vanderbilt at Florida in 2005.

They had a back and forth shoot out going.  Jay Cutler's father is in the stands at Ben Hill Griffith doing the Gator Chomp while his wife is trying to restrain him as they are surrounded by Gator fans.  Cutler threw a touchdown pass late in regulation that put Vandy down one with little time left.  They would go for two and try to end it right there.  As the Vandy receiver was politely tossing the ball back to the ref, it appeared that he gave an ever-so-slight flex of his right pectoral muscle.  In the next split second I feared for his future eyesight as yellow flags with ball bearings were hurled in the direction of his head from every direction.  The Ohio State celebration after their first touchdown vs. Florida this was not.  Vandy had to kick a 35-yard extra point and then lost in OT.

I just about quit on SEC football that night.  Then I remembered a fact.  If Vandy even makes a bowl it is Music City at best given they had got this win at Florida.  If Florida loses this game , they drop in the bowl picture costing the SEC millions.  From a revenue standpoint, the officials may have made money even for Vanderbilt with their ridiculous intervention in a great game.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BUCCANEER FAN on January 25, 2007, 11:06:51 pm
If memory serves, arkansas was given an invitation to join the big 12 in late 1989, and later the sec in early 1990 i believe. I was hoping arkansas would join the big 12 myself, because i see that arkansas would have succeeded more in high winning seasons,and the Big 12  is my favorite conference in college football.The sec may be a money maker but its the hardest conference to win a title and extremely hard to win against pure talent that will run you over on any given day, you have to be your best every week.I think broyles needed to think what he was getting into before he took this invite by being smart and join the big 12 , it would have been the smarter move to make. :razorback:
I agree and I could see more games since I live south of DFW!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jim

So it sounds like, bottom line, let's focus on the money and worry about competing later.  Get as much green in the bank as we can and then, if we get around to it, we'll see about fielding a team that has a shot at something in the BCS.

We were blessed that lightning struck Fayetteville in 2006.  However, with the clouds that seem to be hovering over the corner of Razorback Road and Maple, I'm skeptical that our chances of being hit again will ever be that good.

jbcarol

January 26, 2007, 10:47:35 am #55 Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 11:23:02 am by jbcarol
Quote from: Jim on January 26, 2007, 09:34:25 am
So it sounds like, bottom line, let's focus on the money and worry about competing later.  Get as much green in the bank as we can and then, if we get around to it, we'll see about fielding a team that has a shot at something in the BCS.

We were blessed that lightning struck Fayetteville in 2006.  However, with the clouds that seem to be hovering over the corner of Razorback Road and Maple, I'm skeptical that our chances of being hit again will ever be that good.

Great post!  Let's say forget your filthy money.  What is the best fit for the SEC schools on the outside looking in?

Vanderbilt -- Ivy League
Kentucky  -- ACC  (they advertise they have more shoreline than Florida with their TVA lakes)
South Carolina - Big East or ACC (may have burned that bridge)
Arkansas -- Is it really the Big 12?

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BartIV on January 25, 2007, 11:05:04 am
This is the answer to our problem, we are in a conference we can't win in. Lets move Arkansas to a no name conference (maybe USA so we can show Gus Malzahn we can compete with the likes of Tulsa).
Imagine it, we win almost all our games, 10-3 or 11-2 every season, maybe even a 13-0 season. Then we can play Boise State in a BCS bowl game. Where we would lose, but we still have our 13-1 season.
We'll make it to the Memphis Liberty Bowl every year, playing the worst team in the SEC, that will show them.  Its perfect. No Arkansans can complain about winning every year.

I say lets get out of this too competitive conference and head to the promise land.
We just need to figure out what conference we can compete in.

Might as well since they are already recruiting mostly against CUSA schools for signees.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

razorpimp

wimpy bully says: "If you can't beat 'em, then find easier targets"

HawgWyld

Quote from: atekido on January 26, 2007, 03:29:55 am
exactly.  im guessing you guys who want to be in another conference never was into sports as kids or your not very competitive.

id rather go down as a team that could atleast hold its own in the SEC than labled as a team that got wins but because it was in a lesser conference.
Not all of us are of the "we can't compete in the SEC" mindset. Frankly, we shouldn't have joined the SEC in the first place. Why? Probably because we're not located in the Southeast and would probably be better off competing with teams in the same geographical area of the country. And that would be the Big 12.

Arkansas has never been a good fit in the SEC and probably will never be. Winning and losing has nothing to do with it as Arkansas could produce a winning team if the Athletic Department would get it's s*** together and hire someone with both the commitment and the skills to put together a winning team.

T-hawg

Quote from: BartIV on January 25, 2007, 11:55:17 am
Big 12 is perfect. We can play with Texas because of that whole rivalry thing that Arkansans love and Texas could care less about.
Oklahoma is on a downfall I feel, so I think we can take them.
Then we can begin to recruit from Texas again.
We would be in the running for a BCS game every year, thats "my Opinion".

What he said.

I would be tickled hog red if we went to the Big 12. Really wouldn't care if we went north or south. The road trips are closer, we recruit more from these areas. The Big 12 Championship is closer. From a fans point of view, it just makes sense. And who says that if we leave, we can never play SEC teams anymore? Hell, we have been playing Ole Miss since Frank was cutting teeth. The thought of the SEC being the best place to play is a farce. USC, Texas, Michigan, Ohio St, Oklahoma (not recently) are all doing fine without the SEC. We can too. I just think we could be more successful on a more consistent basis. You always want to play in the toughest conference, but I think success will be few and far between.

T-hawg out...
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

Hazegray1972

Had somthing on a board awhile back called:

The Magnolia League.

Duke, Vandy, Tulane, Wake, Rutgers, Army, Navy....

You get the picture? 

Jim

Quote from: Pork Salad Annie on January 25, 2007, 02:39:59 pm
Sadly, don't laugh at this one.

Jim Lindsey has already mentioned to some other BOT members that he would like to see us move to the Big-12, that the SEC is just too tough for Arkansas.

What??  How do you know this?  Hmmmm.....

Rev. Hog

thats what is happening... we getting ready to move to the Sun-Belt, thats why were playing them for non-conference games.... makes perfect sense

311Hog

why dont we make it to where other teams can only play 9 players to our 12 maybe then they wont be moving so fast it messes us up.

atekido

if we moved to the Sun-belt i would stop watching.  the hawgs would forever be known as the program that couldnt cut it in the SEC.

i gurantee you the players would rather play in the SEC.  and thats all that matters.  something you people without competiveness will never understand.

HawgWyld

Quote from: atekido on January 26, 2007, 03:20:43 pm
if we moved to the Sun-belt i would stop watching.  the hawgs would forever be known as the program that couldnt cut it in the SEC.

i gurantee you the players would rather play in the SEC.  and thats all that matters.  something you people without competiveness will never understand.

How did we go from a discussion of moving to the Big 12 to a suggestion that Arkansas should move to the Sunbelt conference? There's a huge difference between the Big 12 and the Sunbelt.

jde86ice

I think Arkansas could make more money winning with a lesser conference. Arkansas makes more money filling seats and merchandise. Winning fills seats and sells merchandise. How does Arkansas get more money playing in the SEC? Does the SEC dole out money to teams?

The bowl money that is paid out to every SEC team is consolidated and dispursed evenly to all the SEC teams. 9 SEC teams played in bowl games, the most of any conference. AR got 1/12 of the total bowl compensation for all those bowls. We got millions last year and didn't even play in a bowl!

Steef

Quote from: HawgWyld on January 26, 2007, 04:40:18 pm
Quote from: atekido on January 26, 2007, 03:20:43 pm

How did we go from a discussion of moving to the Big 12 to a suggestion that Arkansas should move to the Sunbelt conference? There's a huge difference between the Big 12 and the Sunbelt.

The difference being...we're playing most of the Sunbelt next year. Almost as many Sunbelt-ers as SEC.

We are accepting the mediocrity.

We should be indignant, and demand that UA Admin. expect SEC standards every year.

Whoops! There goes HDN for the hills.

Snarlton

The subject header of this thread on the front page of MMQB looks like a broken down refrigerator out on the front lawn with weeds growing high around it.  Why don't you edit this thread and give it a new subject header like "That Boneheaded Post I Made A Couple Of Days Ago".

jde86ice

The difference being...we're playing most of the Sunbelt next year. Almost as many Sunbelt-ers as SEC.

We should be indignant, and demand that UA Admin. expect SEC standards every year.

[/quote]

I am not defending Nutt first and foremost! Playing weak non-conference games is a must for SEC teams. Besides FL vs FL ST, there aren't any GREAT non-conference games for most SEC teams. The conference is too deep. Yeah, AR's Non-conf. games might as well be a bye weeks, but we have the luxury/curse of playing in the SEC. Other conferences have to play tough non-conference games just to get respect. USC played ND & Neb. I guarantee you that they would play those games if their conference included FL, LSU, Tenn, AUB, AR, GA, ect.  Point of the post: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH PLAYING GIVE-ME NON-CONF. GAMES IN THE SEC!

sickemsmokey10

You guys are getting worse than Bama fans

secfan30

Quote from: elkhog on January 25, 2007, 11:39:24 am
Please don't give them any ideas.  I can honestly see this happening with JFB at the wheel. 

Is he not the reason we are in the SEC? Not really wanting to defend anyone, but at least he had the foresight to see the SWC was falling apart and got us out of there. The Big 12 is a more natural fit, but the SEC is just fine.

NuttinItUp

SuthrnFballer15

Why would we want to sacrifice being in the SEC just so we can win a few more games and go to a better bowl game only to play an SEC team in the end. There are teams worse off than us in the SEC.
"If you're attitude is 'I was good yesterday,' you can't do that at Arkansas. Whoever your opponent is, it's a big game. Everything is up for grabs." - Coach Pelphrey

"I'm not really good at being a shifty kind of guy who likes to make moves -- I like to be a straight-line guy and run over somebody if I can."
-Peyton Hillis

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

redbarn

if DMac were to get injured, what kind of season do you think we would have from that point on .
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

JohnRedkorn

QuoteOklahoma is on a downfall I feel, so I think we can take them

A feeling or just hope? Anyway I'm a relocated OU fan who has learned to love the Hogs too. I know I'm rare around these parts. I've said this for years tho, kick Baylor out of the Big XII and invite in Arkansas. Think about the great matchups...The old SWC foes Texas & A&M, border battles with OU, OSU, & Mizzou. It's not like the BIG XII is a step down from the SEC or anything, there's still HUGE $$$ and HUGE TV contracts. I'd also prefer road games in Lubbock, Stillwater, or Lawrence to Baton Rogue, Tuscaloosa, or Knoxville any day. Also the road trips for fans would be WAY more reasonable than Columbia, SC.

xteri

The Big12 issue will never die. It must, therefore, be inevitable.

worthy

The one-eyed man will always rule in the land of the blind...but that will not fix our probelms.

Going to a weaker conference is not the answer.  If our goal is to win another National Championship anytime soon, it won't happen in a weaker conference.  Bottom line is, you still have to win against your major contenders and the BCS game (which I think if we even made it to that big game, we'd still fall flat on our faces).  Even our weaker schedule next year will be hard enough to get national attention to get in that final game.  We'll have to win them all.  I would also rather finish 2nd or 3rd in the SEC yearly and have a decent shot at a BCS game than have to play the Cinderella role of West Virginia, Louisville, or Boise State once in a while.  Administration and leadership still remain to the problem here, not the conference. 

BUCCANEER FAN

Quote from: atekido on January 26, 2007, 01:03:37 am
We belong in the SEC.  im glad we came here.  screw all you cry-babies that wanna be in a weaker conference.  thats just pathetic.  to say we arent good enough is moronic.  and ill put money on the bank we run another 10+ wins this season also.
We belong in the SEC.  im glad we came here.  screw all you cry-babies that wanna be in a weaker conference.  thats just pathetic.  to say we arent good enough is moronic.  and ill put money on the bank we run another 10+ wins this season also.
------------
Wow another 10 win season, no sec championship or nc since we joined the sec. Look at the fan support arkansas will have at games throughout the big 12 because its closer to home? I dont care if the big 12 is a "weaker conference", there have been nc teams in the big 12 and they are competative every year.More than what arkansas is accomplishing in the sec, you might be able to establish a better running game in the big 12 , it sure won't happen in the sec.

If you haven't noticed, the sec is, or is over 100 years old, they have been thrown everything in those 100 years,arkansas isnt using anything they havent rolled over in the past.At least in the big 12 you have a chance to beat some teams and win conference championships and national titles.I would like for arkansas to play a sec school in a bowl game, and whip them a new set of lugg-nutts because you got fans and you got confidence, that goes along way in the big 12!!!

Go Big 12!!!!

Note: I wish i was whineing, but i have more fun stating the factful truth and theres nothing pathetic about it!!!

BUCCANEER FAN

Quote from: worthy on January 28, 2007, 07:06:31 am
The one-eyed man will always rule in the land of the blind...but that will not fix our probelms.

Going to a weaker conference is not the answer.  If our goal is to win another National Championship anytime soon, it won't happen in a weaker conference.  Bottom line is, you still have to win against your major contenders and the BCS game (which I think if we even made it to that big game, we'd still fall flat on our faces).  Even our weaker schedule next year will be hard enough to get national attention to get in that final game.  We'll have to win them all.  I would also rather finish 2nd or 3rd in the SEC yearly and have a decent shot at a BCS game than have to play the Cinderella role of West Virginia, Louisville, or Boise State once in a while.  Administration and leadership still remain to the problem here, not the conference. 
Quote from: worthy on January 28, 2007, 07:06:31 am

Its hard to play in a bcs bowl game if we never get there in the sec, look at vandy and kentucky and other mississippi schools thats been in the sec for decades and still nothing.The power teams in the sec, have got the entire conference figured out, you got to play on a super level every week,and we dont have the fan base to support the hogs at opponent games and we got bad playcalling.Everyone thinks that the sec is a walk-over, it isnt!!! The sec maybe a powerful conference, but what good will it do if you cant advance huh?

CSNuts

Quote from: jde86ice on January 26, 2007, 05:01:25 pm
Quote from: steefhog on January 26, 2007, 04:49:49 pm

I am not defending Nutt first and foremost! Playing weak non-conference games is a must for SEC teams. Besides FL vs FL ST, there aren't any GREAT non-conference games for most SEC teams. The conference is too deep. Yeah, AR's Non-conf. games might as well be a bye weeks, but we have the luxury/curse of playing in the SEC. Other conferences have to play tough non-conference games just to get respect. USC played ND & Neb. I guarantee you that they would play those games if their conference included FL, LSU, Tenn, AUB, AR, GA, ect.  Point of the post: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH PLAYING GIVE-ME NON-CONF. GAMES IN THE SEC!

Good point and I'll add that Florida has 3 Sun Belt games as well,  Western Kentucky, Troy and Florida Int'l.  Does that mean they suck too?  I mean after all, they are playing 2 of the teams we are playing, they swap North Texas for our Tenn-Chat and FL St for our So Con team...  Hmm, if we add ASU does that make us equal?  Or did ASU move up, I don't follow them much...

Bohawg

We've shown we can compete in this league from a talent standpoint  even with second rate coaches (after Nolan stopped working).  If we would get some quality coaches we can compete consistently.  Don't know if we'll ever get quality men for football and basketball but hopefully will when Frank finally exits.  I'm for staying in the best conference in the land.  Oh yeah, this is one area where Frank did do good, getting us in the SEC.

See I am objective.  Gave the one who stuck around way too long some credit for that move.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BartIV on January 25, 2007, 11:05:04 am
This is the answer to our problem, we are in a conference we can't win in. Lets move Arkansas to a no name conference (maybe USA so we can show Gus Malzahn we can compete with the likes of Tulsa).
Imagine it, we win almost all our games, 10-3 or 11-2 every season, maybe even a 13-0 season. Then we can play Boise State in a BCS bowl game. Where we would lose, but we still have our 13-1 season.
We'll make it to the Memphis Liberty Bowl every year, playing the worst team in the SEC, that will show them.  Its perfect. No Arkansans can complain about winning every year.

I say lets get out of this too competitive conference and head to the promise land.
We just need to figure out what conference we can compete in.

Well, Frank has already said that we are no better than average in the SEC and won't be any better than that in the future except for once every five years or so. He has already said that we can't attract a quality HC as well. Let's move to the Ohio Valley Conference in I-AA. I bet he can win more games there.
Go Hogs Go!

RhodeHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 28, 2007, 09:10:58 am
Well, Frank has already said that we are no better than average in the SEC and won't be any better than that in the future except for once every five years or so. He has already said that we can't attract a quality HC as well. Let's move to the Ohio Valley Conference in I-AA. I bet he can win more games there.

I was thinking the same thing.  Broyles said that we'll always be 7th or 8th in the SEC, so why wouldn't he move us?  If a good AD truly thought that, he would move us to a weaker conference. 

Oh yeah, he doesn't care about winning, he only cares about the $$$!

jpsand

January 28, 2007, 09:46:52 am #84 Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 09:58:33 am by jpsand
Quote from: jde86ice on January 26, 2007, 04:46:23 pm

The bowl money that is paid out to every SEC team is consolidated and dispursed evenly to all the SEC teams. 9 SEC teams played in bowl games, the most of any conference. AR got 1/12 of the total bowl compensation for all those bowls. We got millions last year and didn't even play in a bowl!

We are a member of the premier conference in the nation and most universities would kill to be in our place.  It is true that ticket sales are the biggest revenue generators but the hogs get 7,000,000 per year in ncaa distributions.  Conference USA teams and Sun Belt teams get a fraction of that amount. This is great Web site to look at the budgets of the different schools.

http://www2.indystar.com/NCAA_financial_reports/

Just saw something on this site.  The Univ. of Alabama has 14,000,0000 in donations and the hogs have 477,000.

vol_in_ar

You can't be serious, you just won the SEC west, and played in the Championship game...

Buck Ocean

QuoteThis is the answer to our problem, we are in a conference we can't win in. Lets move Arkansas to a no name conference (maybe USA so we can show Gus Malzahn we can compete with the likes of Tulsa).

scram.  beat it.
Think like a Jedi

Kevin

ohio valley!! we could play SEMO and Murray State every year!!
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

slowride

I just can't see us doing better in the Big 12 South.  I think we would be rolled by Texas and OU most every year.  We would split with the likes of Texas A&M, OSU, and Tech.  The years we play Nebraska we would probably split.  They lost to Auburn in the Cotton bowl but only because of turnovers.  The Huskers ran up and down the field on Auburn.  If we did manage to make it to the Championship game, we would probably lose then too just like this year.  Then, we would lose our bowl game.  Just like this year.  If we are going to move to another conference, let's move to one where we know we can win.  Let's move to CUSA or the Mid-American Conference.  We would be able to win 10 or 11 games every year and then probably our bowl game too.  We don't need to be in a BCS conference.  What has it done for us other than put a little bit more money in the bank.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: slowride on January 28, 2007, 11:45:24 am
I just can't see us doing better in the Big 12 South.  I think we would be rolled by Texas and OU most every year.  We would split with the likes of Texas A&M, OSU, and Tech.  The years we play Nebraska we would probably split.  They lost to Auburn in the Cotton bowl but only because of turnovers.  The Huskers ran up and down the field on Auburn.  If we did manage to make it to the Championship game, we would probably lose then too just like this year.  Then, we would lose our bowl game.  Just like this year.  If we are going to move to another conference, let's move to one where we know we can win.  Let's move to CUSA or the Mid-American Conference.  We would be able to win 10 or 11 games every year and then probably our bowl game too.  We don't need to be in a BCS conference.  What has it done for us other than put a little bit more money in the bank.

I agree, but "money in the bank" is the entire premise.
Go Hogs Go!

HawgWyld

January 28, 2007, 11:55:22 am #90 Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:58:33 am by HawgWyld
Quote from: jpsand on January 28, 2007, 09:46:52 am
Quote from: jde86ice on January 26, 2007, 04:46:23 pm

We are a member of the premier conference in the nation and most universities would kill to be in our place.  It is true that ticket sales are the biggest revenue generators but the hogs get 7,000,000 per year in ncaa distributions.  Conference USA teams and Sun Belt teams get a fraction of that amount. This is great Web site to look at the budgets of the different schools.

http://www2.indystar.com/NCAA_financial_reports/

Just saw something on this site.  The Univ. of Alabama has 14,000,0000 in donations and the hogs have 477,000.
Very interesting. Let's take a look at what that reveals about a few teams:
University of Arkansas:  $6,980,048 in NCAA/Conference distributions in football, $2,736,478 in basketball
University of Texas: $7,099,874 in NCAA/Conference distributions in football, $3,920,042 in basketball
Texas A&M: $7,552,987 in NCAA/Conference distributions in football, $2,629,803 in basketball
University of Missouri: $5,892,711 in NCAA/Conference distributions in football, $1,551,711 in basketball
Iowa State: $4,467,589 in NCAA/Conference distributions in football, $2,458,993 in basketball

Uh oh! Looks like those Big 12 teams get a good chunk from NCAA distributions, too! My, my, my.

By the way, the "Conference USA" argument falls flat. The only viable alternative to the SEC is joining the Big 12 -- a conference where there is money to be made, a natural rivalry for the Razorbacks and a bunch of teams that are located in the same part of the nation as Arkansas (i.e., Arkansas is not in the Southeastern part of the country). Why aren't we over there again?

vol_in_ar

Because your in the SEC, a conference you just played in the Championship game.

BUCCANEER FAN

January 28, 2007, 01:17:37 pm #92 Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 01:25:36 pm by BUCCANEER FAN
Quote from: atekido on January 26, 2007, 03:29:55 am
exactly.  im guessing you guys who want to be in another conference never was into sports as kids or your not very competitive.

id rather go down as a team that could atleast hold its own in the SEC than labled as a team that got wins but because it was in a lesser conference.

you can dilute your imagination all you want in being in a diff conference but the reality wouldnt be that the hawgs would be better.  And in no way would it benefit us.  playing vs lesser talent does not make you better.  it makes you weaker.

i do not want to be one of those teams that has the dilusion of being good because its in a weaker conference and has a better record more of the time and then faces an SEC team and get their A$$ HANDED TO THEM, and gets embarassed on national television. 

Hahaha, playing in a weaker conference makes you weaker? You got to be joking!!!! We won a National title in 1964 in a weaker conference SWC, and the big 12 has had national championships and they are a stronger conference than the SWC!!!! Its odd your stating that you would rather be in the sec, what good is it doing? Is winning the sec western divison going to be the only thing arkansas accomplishes in the sec? Look at South carolina that joined the same time arkansas did, and they have stever spurrier and former national champion,they are in the cellar just like arkansas is, and what about kentucky ,vanderbilt, the mississippi schools thats been in the program for decades? Im sorry, but the big 12 would have been the choice for alot of reasons.I wanted to go to the big 12 before arkansas even joined the sec, because its my favorite conference in all college football i was raised in big 12 country!!! 8)

jbcarol

It is very tough to make it thru the SEC in a position to qualify for the BCS championship.  There is too much emphasis on the losses regardless of the quality of the losses.  We were very close to having Ohio St. face Michigan this year and in that case we never would have known who the true champion was.  Some feel if you win the SEC you won the whole thing and the BCS is gravy.  That goes down better in years when the SEC may not be superior nationally.  There was a great welcome sign when UofL won the NCAA basketball tourney in '86 but had lost to Kentucky in the regular season.
"Welcome to Louisville, Home of the U of L Fightin' Cardinals, First in Nation, Second in State."

jbcarol

Or,  "Sometimes you feel like a Nutt, sometimes you don't"

BUCCANEER FAN

January 28, 2007, 01:45:11 pm #95 Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 01:55:25 pm by BUCCANEER FAN
What about Big 12, we would just have the hurdle of Oklahoma and Texas (i'm sure we could wiggle out of playing them, too w/JFB and JL at the helm).
-----------
Arkansas wouldnt have to just worry about Oklahoma and Texas, you got Nebraska-Oklahoma State-Colorado-Kansas State-Kansas-Iowa State-Missouri-Texas A&M-Texas Tech-Baylor, i mean most of these teams have stepped it up in the last few years and are very competative and can beat each other.These teams are not pushovers anymore things have changed here and are going to get better. :razorback:

BUCCANEER FAN

January 28, 2007, 02:17:01 pm #96 Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 02:49:00 pm by BUCCANEER FAN
[/quote]
-----------
If arkansas can't get to a bcs bowl game in the sec it won't matter, the chances in the big 12 are much better to getting to a bcs game, i would rather play a cinderella role and be the underdog (arkansas favors being the underdog)than just be an average team in the sec after the season is over even with a good team.Im not a fan of just watching the cellar teams in the sec lose every year and gain revenue from funds and maybe going to a bowl game, if thats what joining the sec is all about "the word money" then why bother staying in it when you can get revenue in the big 12 and win some games and respect for once. :razorback:

BUCCANEER FAN

January 28, 2007, 02:34:35 pm #97 Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 02:37:06 pm by BUCCANEER FAN
You really only need to hit Quote 1nc.  OK?
----------------------------

Will do, im not familiar with your quoting system so i will just paste my points of reference up there too make it easier.

Sorry about the quotes :razorback:

malzhanista

Why can't we just disband the athletic program altogether? No need to participate if we aren't serious about competing for championships.

Waste of time, money, and emotion.

HawgWyld

Quote from: hogapalooza on January 28, 2007, 02:50:11 pm
Sun Belt would give us a few more wins every year.
The Sun Belt already does give us a few more wins every year. ;)