Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC looks weak this year

Started by jman, September 24, 2006, 12:11:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mightybulldogs12

last week the big twelve got swept by the pac 10. The big twelve is horrible.

jman

Well I ain't going to insult you like some did but what ever credibility you had as a poster with me just flew out the window. ???
[/quote]

Well, I'm not worried about credibility with you or anyone for that fact.  this is a board full of personal opinions and very few facts.  Therefore I can make the same reply to you because your nor no one elses "opinion" is any better than mine.

BattleHawg

Quote from: cmevere1027 on September 24, 2006, 01:41:10 pm
hey jman your a dumbass, are you freakin kiddin me

these types of posts will be deleted... STOP the name-calling guys.

just chill some people, we are going to have differing opins on the board, if u disagree, either do not post in the thread, or post a disagreeing statement w/out the namecalling.

BH

jman

The truth is, SEC fans are arrogant and think they have better football than anyone.  Right now, OHio ST. and Michigan would walk away with both divisions of the SEC.  Texas would finish 2nd along with USC.  We dont have one single team that can beat those teams and thats a fact!!!  Only two times the SEC won the BCS was 1998 when tennessee played florida st. which was down and had no chance at the vols.  The much more deserving and biggest threat to Tenn was Ohio st. who somehow got snubbed.  2003, LSU beat an average Oklahoma team with home field advantage in the superdome in new orleans.  Auburn 2 years ago, I agree should have been given the shot at USC instead of Oklahoma, still auburn loses that game by 21 or more.   SEC is weak and getting weaker each year.  LSU went to Va. tech a few years back and got spanked like 28-7.  You guys call that power???  You've got to be kidding me!  Georgia gets spanked by west virginia and a bunch of freshmen in the sugar bowl last year???  SEC used to be the best, but not anymore.

kuhog

September 24, 2006, 06:34:39 pm #54 Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 06:36:53 pm by kuhog
Listen people, there are plenty of very respectable conferences across the nation. There is no doubt in my mind that the SEC is currently the best conference. However, to say the SEC is head & shoulders above every other conference is somewhat naive. I realize we are all partial to the SEC since the Razorbacks are one of the members. But if you look at other programs across the country without being bias, you will see that there are some darn good conferences not named the "SEC".

I'm going to give credit where credit is due. There are couple of conferences nipping at the heels of the SEC. Look at the Big 10. I felt last year they were the best conference. This year is still too early, but they look pretty impressive again.

donthaveone

I'll play along.

4 of the top 10, 5 of the top 15 and 7 of the top 28 are SEC schools. Nobody is close. Games you must have missed. AU-40 Wash St.-10, UT-35 Cal-18 (both pac-10 teams are 3-1 and 1-0 in conference play). LSU-48 Arizona-3. MSU (2nd worst SEC team) beat UAB last night in Birmingham. The SEC has 3 NC contenders (AU, LSU, UF), UGA is a solid top ten team even with a FR. QB. UT is a solid top 15 team, dispite the injury bug. Bama and Arkansas should finish in the top 25. Vandy could easily go 5-3  with a big 12 schedule. Carolina has the Ole Ball Coach and UK and the MIssissippi Schools stink, I will give you that.

The Big 10 as usual, is Ohio St and Miiicheegan. Ohio St will pop Iowa by 30 this saturday and remove all doubt. With UT and OU having issues at QB, neither of them are NC timber and the rest of that league would be a 7-point underdog to TCU. ACC (living in ATL, I know it well). The 2 monsters have no offense (UM and FSU). Clemson, Va-Tech and G-Tech are the class of that league and they want no part of the SEC's top 4. Teams that have claimed victory over the ACC this year. Richmond (1-AA), Rutgers (twice), Akron, Western Michigan, and Southern Miss. ACC teams have needed 4 OT's to turn away Wyoming and BYU and their was also an embarassing near loss to FIU.
Look above for the Pac-10 breakdown. Its USC and her 9 little sisters. The Big East has 2 good teams (L-Ville and WVU) and than crap.

Everyone in America's (except you) Conference Breakdown.

1. SEC
2. Big-10
3. Pac-10
4. Big-12
5. ACC
6. Big East

Theolesnort

Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 06:24:20 pm
Well I ain't going to insult you like some did but what ever credibility you had as a poster with me just flew out the window. ???

Well, I'm not worried about credibility with you or anyone for that fact.  this is a board full of personal opinions and very few facts.  Therefore I can make the same reply to you because your nor no one elses "opinion" is any better than mine.
[/quote] Yes young grasshopper the only trouble with opinions is that everyone has one. Learn from your elders do good research for instance which conference has the most NFL players and which puts the most in in most years. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Many of these so called powers would have a hard time playing a SEC schedule and surviving much less winning big. USC wouid probably be an exception. LSU can pretty well match USC in talent. USC has better coaching. Florida, Auburn, Tenn, Georgia and in years past Alabama have awesome talent. No other conference comes close in sheer talent. Some of the other conferences catch up with cutting edge offensive coaching but that is another story. Defense is a SEC staple.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

GAMECOCKBOY

bottom like the sec is the best conference...big 12 has nothing on the sec...
MESS WITH THE FEATHERS U SHALL GET SPURED!!!

GOOO GAMECOCKS!!!

kitshicker

jman, you forgot c-usa in the top 5........sarcasm intended

Hawgasaurus

Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 03:08:49 pm
OU has a self image problem.  When they play UAB and teams of that stature, they often have huge let downs because they look down their nose at UAB and say, "you dont deserve to be on the same field as us", OU is cocky and so is stoops.  I persoanlly cant stand them.  But OU would bring the boots and kick us around.  Part of my evaluation isnt that OU is that much better than us but that arkansas has the "deer in the headlights syndrome".  Any big game, against a good team, we choke.  Couple OU wanting to beat our ass and arkansas's mentality and there you go, huge blowout and easy win for OU.  It sucks, I hate it, but thats the way it is.

Now use this same trend of logic with the Georgia / Colorado game... Or do you only argue points that fit your point of view?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

Landonhog

Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 12:11:51 pm
Everyone says the SEC is the toughest conference this year, but I'm not thinking that way. 

Florida, Tenn and Gerogia couldnt win any major conference this year.  Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucy and Vanderbilt are more pretenders than contenders.  Ole Miss, Miss St., South Carolina are horrible.  Auburn and LSU are serious players but Auburn already put a chink in LSU's armour.  

Georgia barely coming back against the 0-3 buffalos of colorado should show where the SEC really is.  Right now, probably the 5th best conference.

#1  Big 10

#2  Big 12

#3  ACC

#4  PAC 10

#5  SEC

SHAMEFUL!!!

I'm shocked it took you 600 posts to completely discredit any football knowledge you might have...  Thanks for stamping yourself as "football illiterate".  This will save me time in the future!  Thanks for playing!

HognotinMemphis

SEC is weak. Why? Because the weak teams are not just weak, they are beyond weak. Ole Miss and Miss St are at the very bottom. Vandy, KY, SC, Bama and the Hogs are right behind them.  LSU and Auburn are the class of the SEC and nationally competitive with any other team in the country. Fla, GA and TN are top 25 but are certainly not BCS material.

This is shaping up to be the weakest SEC in years and the difference in talent between the top and the bottom is the greatest it's been since Arkansas joined.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

kuhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 25, 2006, 09:13:40 am
SEC is weak. Why? Because the weak teams are not just weak, they are beyond weak. Ole Miss and Miss St are at the very bottom. Vandy, KY, SC, Bama and the Hogs are right behind them.  LSU and Auburn are the class of the SEC and nationally competitive with any other team in the country. Fla, GA and TN are top 25 but are certainly not BCS material.

This is shaping up to be the weakest SEC in years and the difference in talent between the top and the bottom is the greatest it's been since Arkansas joined.

I tend to agree.

311Hog

Wow, some of you dont know a single thing about college football.  The Georgia/Colorado game was a fluke.  Try this phrase on for size.

"TRUE FRESHMAN QUARTERBACK"

Let that one sink in for you ok?  There will be games where your team struggles if you are starting a true freshman QB no matter how good a player he is or will be.

Landonhog

Quote from: 311Hog on September 25, 2006, 09:36:06 am
Wow, some of you dont know a single thing about college football.  The Georgia/Colorado game was a fluke.  Try this phrase on for size.

"TRUE FRESHMAN QUARTERBACK"

Let that one sink in for you ok?  There will be games where your team struggles if you are starting a true freshman QB no matter how good a player he is or will be.

How many Big XII teams could throw in their 3rd string QB in the fourth quarter and let him march down the field a couple times to win the game...  Apparently GA can....

HogNuttz

Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 01:12:14 pm
Quote from: mossfan3 on September 24, 2006, 01:05:21 pm
Going into yesterday the SEC made up 1/3 of the top 15 in the country.  Yeah it's really a weak year this year.  Yeah right.

play on the field speaks volumes over rankings anyday.  Georgia?  supposed to be a power team in the SEC, can barely handle the lowly buffs between the hedges?  TEnn, barely surrvives Air force.  Ark, blown out by USC, barely gets by utah st. , vandy and probably the worst alabama team in 40 years.  Florida hasnt looked impressive over anyone yet.  Auburn and LSU are the only good teams.

SEC teams don't look steallar when they play other SEC teams.  We beat the darn out of each other.  Florida beat Tenn, who beat the tar out of a ranked PAC 10 team.  Lots of teams are having let downs this year.  Ohio State hasn't looked good until the 4th quarter and they are supposed to be the #1 team in the country.  USC didn't look good this weekend, etc, etc...
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

HogNuttz

September 25, 2006, 10:01:14 am #66 Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 10:06:39 am by HogNuttz
Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 25, 2006, 09:13:40 am

When the Big 12 was supposedly the best football conference a few years ago, they had Texas and OU at the top and that was basically it. Ok St. was decent. Baylor and Kansas were horrid and I don't know that the Big 12 north had a ranked team.  I think Iowa St. was good one of those years and may have spent a decent portion of the season ranked.  This years SEC conference is no worse than the Big 12 was in those years they were supposedly the best.  We have 1/3 of the top 15, two other teams getting votes, and Vandy, the annual doormat damn near beat both of those teams.  3 teams ranked in the east and 2 in the west with 2 more getting votes.  You pick any conference you want and I'll show you a few teams that suck arse this year.  All that being said, I feel the SEC is the best conference for football, THIS YEAR, however the Mississippi sisters are so bad they make your eyes bleed watching them.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

John Futrall

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 24, 2006, 01:33:46 pm
Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 12:11:51 pm
Everyone says the SEC is the toughest conference this year, but I'm not thinking that way. 

Florida, Tenn and Gerogia couldnt win any major conference this year.  Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucy and Vanderbilt are more pretenders than contenders.  Ole Miss, Miss St., South Carolina are horrible.  Auburn and LSU are serious players but Auburn already put a chink in LSU's armour.  

Georgia barely coming back against the 0-3 buffalos of colorado should show where the SEC really is.  Right now, probably the 5th best conference.

#1  Big 10

#2  Big 12

#3  ACC

#4  PAC 10

#5  SEC

SHAMEFUL!!!

Crack Kills!

Is that avatar from Hell, MI?  I've been there, and it's actually kinda creepy.

HoopS

Colorado came into this game with nothing to lose.  They played their best game of the season, to this point, and still lost.  Remember, Colorado hired Dan Hawkins whose Boise State team played Georgia last season.  He had plenty of film to study and obviously did his homework.  I will also go on the record and say Georgia will be hard pressed to finish 3rd in the East.  Something to keep an eye on is the QB situation there.  Cox was in for what, 3 series and had them at the goal each time.  I would imagine Stafford will not be starting next time they play.   

roothog

Just one week snapshot of the Big XII
Toledo 37 Kansas 31
Iowa 27 Iowa St 17
Oregon 34 Oklahoma 33
TCU 12 Tx Tech 3
Arizona St 21 Colorado 3
USC 28 Nebraska 10
Tx A&M 28 Army 24 - Army should have won this game BTW.
Same week Georgia stomped UAB 34-0. Oklahoma escaped against UAB 24-17.
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIIEEE

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Porkaholic on September 24, 2006, 02:31:50 pm
Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 02:27:47 pm
Quote from: Sao Ming on September 24, 2006, 02:22:57 pm
And yet the last few National Champions have come from:

Big 12
Pac 10
Pac 10/SEC
Big 10
Big East
Big 12
ACC
etc.

proves the SEC top teams usually cant beat top teams from the other conferences.

I haven't researched it, but could it also prove that the SEC devours its own?  It's real tough to go undefeated in this conference.

And even when you do you may not get a shot, depending on where you were ranked at the beginning of the year.

jamie72921

September 25, 2006, 10:38:55 am #71 Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 10:40:27 am by jamie72921
The ACC is way down this year. How do you have them rated ahead of the SEC. The SEC is lacking in second tier talent this year because we and Alabama suck. Auburn, LSU, Florida, Tenn., and Georgia can play with anyone. By the way there wasn't a split national championship between the Pac 10 and SEC. LSU won the BCS which is the only national championship these days. The other is just a pole and no such award is given.
Bless your heart