Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC looks weak this year

Started by jman, September 24, 2006, 12:11:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jman

Everyone says the SEC is the toughest conference this year, but I'm not thinking that way. 

Florida, Tenn and Gerogia couldnt win any major conference this year.  Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucy and Vanderbilt are more pretenders than contenders.  Ole Miss, Miss St., South Carolina are horrible.  Auburn and LSU are serious players but Auburn already put a chink in LSU's armour.   

Georgia barely coming back against the 0-3 buffalos of colorado should show where the SEC really is.  Right now, probably the 5th best conference.

#1  Big 10

#2  Big 12

#3  ACC

#4  PAC 10

#5  SEC

SHAMEFUL!!!

HighOnHogs

arkjay19

Gotta love sarcasm on the board.  Great sarcastic post jman, hilarious.

HoopS

Patch

jman, HiM has already claimed the title of official $hi# starter. Please find another message board personality that hasn't been taken yet. I'd suggest Official Message Board Magician, and now would be a great time for your grand finale disappearance trick.

Please, no one else respond to jman,aka Houdini. He's just trying to stir the pot. 

501Ben

the reason its hard for SEC teams to be serious contenders is because we do play in the toughest conference and its extremely hard to come out of SEC conference play with a perfect record.

mossfan3

Going into yesterday the SEC made up 1/3 of the top 15 in the country.  Yeah it's really a weak year this year.  Yeah right.

FAT HOG

Quote from: mossfan3 on September 24, 2006, 01:05:21 pm
Going into yesterday the SEC made up 1/3 of the top 15 in the country.  Yeah it's really a weak year this year.  Yeah right.

jman

Quote from: Patch on September 24, 2006, 12:29:23 pm
jman, HiM has already claimed the title of official $hi# starter. Please find another message board personality that hasn't been taken yet. I'd suggest Official Message Board Magician, and now would be a great time for your grand finale disappearance trick.

Please, no one else respond to jman,aka Houdini. He's just trying to stir the pot. 

5th place may be stretching things, but I do think the SEC is down this year.  Most can see that you sir are the one stirring the pot.  but I shall not accept your flame war invitation.  You have a nice day.

HoopS

To put the big 12 ahead of us is just stupid.

jman

September 24, 2006, 01:12:14 pm #10 Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 01:14:57 pm by jman
Quote from: mossfan3 on September 24, 2006, 01:05:21 pm

play on the field speaks volumes over rankings anyday.  Georgia?  supposed to be a power team in the SEC, can barely handle the lowly buffs between the hedges?  TEnn, barely surrvives Air force.  Ark, blown out by USC, barely gets by utah st. , vandy and probably the worst alabama team in 40 years.  Florida hasnt looked impressive over anyone yet.  Auburn and LSU are the only good teams.

jman

Quote from: HoopSlap on September 24, 2006, 01:11:55 pm

Not when possibly their worst team this year, the colorado buffalo's go to a top ranked SEC team like georgia and basically whip the bulldogs for 3 1/2 quarters.  Georgia looked horrible against a horrible team.   Big 12 is better than the SEC this year.

mossfan3

So you think the ACC and the Pac 10(bka as USC and the Trojanairres) are better than the SEC?  I guess we will just have to disagree on this one.

jman

Quote from: mossfan3 on September 24, 2006, 01:14:52 pm
So you think the ACC and the Pac 10(bka as USC and the Trojanairres) are better than the SEC?  I guess we will just have to disagree on this one.

We have many schools with hiding behind past great tradition this year.  LSU and Auburn are all we have to offer. Neither one could go undefeated in the Big10 or Big12 or ACC this year.

HoopS

I'll play.  Oklagoma beat UAB 24 - 17...Miss State beat the same team 16 - 10.  Tech barely escaped UTEP.  Ok St lost last night to Houston.  A&M lucked out to beat Army, who ASU beat.  Colorado played it's game of the year and still lost.  Kansas, KState and Baylor.  Need I really even say anything about them?

jman

I hate oklahoma but they would beat the hogs something like 42-10 if we played them.

mossfan3

Find a new thread guys.  You can't reason with some people.

HogHeathen

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 12:11:51 pm
Everyone says the SEC is the toughest conference this year, but I'm not thinking that way. 

Florida, Tenn and Gerogia couldnt win any major conference this year.  Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucy and Vanderbilt are more pretenders than contenders.  Ole Miss, Miss St., South Carolina are horrible.  Auburn and LSU are serious players but Auburn already put a chink in LSU's armour.  

Georgia barely coming back against the 0-3 buffalos of colorado should show where the SEC really is.  Right now, probably the 5th best conference.

#1  Big 10

#2  Big 12

#3  ACC

#4  PAC 10

#5  SEC

SHAMEFUL!!!

Crack Kills!

killamon

Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 01:14:22 pm

Not when possibly their worst team this year, the colorado buffalo's go to a top ranked SEC team like georgia and basically whip the bulldogs for 3 1/2 quarters.  Georgia looked horrible against a horrible team.   Big 12 is better than the SEC this year.

big 12 is better??? you sir, are an idiot...

Idahog

This thread has my vote for most ignorant thread this year ever.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

jman

It amazes me that so many are offended by the SEC being down this year.  You guys must really love the auburns and alabamas to defend it to the point that you would make personal comments to me.  When people get stirred up like this, its because someone said something everyone knows is true but no one wants to talk about.  Anyway, thanks for all your kind comments, they are the nicest things anyone has to said to me today.

arkjay19

Replacing the two worst teams in the ACC with Louisville and West Virginia.
Maybe putting Notre Dame into the Big 10(11) and having a conference championship game.

These are the only two scenarios that could create a conference that could even approach the talent level and competetiveness of the SEC.

The Big East, Pact-10, and Big 12 will never even be able to compare to the SEC(luckily for USC and Texas).  And of course none of the mid-majors could play with the bottom of the SEC.

Sao Ming

And yet the last few National Champions have come from:

Big 12
Pac 10
Pac 10/SEC
Big 10
Big East
Big 12
ACC
etc.

jman

Quote from: Sao Ming on September 24, 2006, 02:22:57 pm

Big 12
Pac 10
Pac 10/SEC
Big 10
Big East
Big 12
ACC
etc.

proves the SEC top teams usually cant beat top teams from the other conferences.

SpareRib

Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 02:27:47 pm

Big 12
Pac 10
Pac 10/SEC
Big 10
Big East
Big 12
ACC
etc.

proves the SEC top teams usually cant beat top teams from the other conferences.

I haven't researched it, but could it also prove that the SEC devours its own?  It's real tough to go undefeated in this conference.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Sao Ming

The SEC and the SECCG devours it's own for sure.  Good point.

SpareRib

Quote from: Sao Ming on September 24, 2006, 02:33:52 pm
The SEC and the SECCG devours it's own for sure.  Good point.

Hey Sao - I'm probably gonna be sorry I asked, but what is the SECCG?
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Sao Ming

SEC championship game.  No harm no foul man.

SpareRib

Quote from: Sao Ming on September 24, 2006, 02:44:14 pm
SEC championship game.  No harm no foul man.

Man, I knew I'd be sorry.

Sao Ming

LOL - don't sweat that one for sure.  I recently had to breakdown and ask what the BOT was.  Felt reaaalllly remedial when the answer came.

SpareRib

Quote from: Sao Ming on September 24, 2006, 02:58:27 pm
LOL - don't sweat that one for sure.  I recently had to breakdown and ask what the BOT was.  Felt reaaalllly remedial when the answer came.

What's the BOT?  Just tell me while no one else is looking.

Sao Ming

BGizzle23

This thread is halarious!! The Big 12?? I think most high school teams around here could compete in the Big 12 North. You can't judge that by one Georgia-Colorado game. Besides Georgia probably was overlooking the Buffs. If they played 10 times, Georgia would probably win em all. Put Arkansas in the big 12. north OR south and their record would be a lot better than it is playing in the SEC. We'll see come bowl time j-man.  You seriously think OU would beat us that bad?? I am not saying we are a good football team by any means but c'mon. What about when OU barely beat UAB a couple weeks back. Does that make you think that UAB's conference is better than the Big 12?? Remember when we played OU in the Cotton Bowl a few years back. They were defending natn'l champs. They beat us 10-3 with a GREAT defense. All I heard was how they were going to beat us so bad and so on. We see teams on or better than OU week in and week out in the SEC. I am not saying we would beat OU but it would probably be a lot closer than you think. Many analysts have stated the SEC is the best in the country this year, including Beano Cook who never gives the SEC props when the credit is due. You will see as the season goes on that the SEC is as strong as ever.

Sao Ming

Quote from: CabotHog on September 24, 2006, 02:59:55 pm
Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 02:27:47 pm

Big 12
Pac 10
Pac 10/SEC
Big 10
Big East
Big 12
ACC
etc.

You are more negative than us darksiders.

Another good point Cabot.

Thing is, when we get there, the SEC reps usually win the thing.  ALA, TENN, FLA, LSU all within the past 15 years.  I really think had AUB played SC and not OKLA we could add them to the list.

SpareRib

Quote from: Sao Ming on September 24, 2006, 03:00:14 pm
Board of Trustees

Thanks - You know, I retired from a career in medical sales and my wife retired from the finance area at Fedex.  I had a head full of medical acronyms and she had a bunch from the flight industry ... It's a wonder we were ever able to communicate.

jman

OU has a self image problem.  When they play UAB and teams of that stature, they often have huge let downs because they look down their nose at UAB and say, "you dont deserve to be on the same field as us", OU is cocky and so is stoops.  I persoanlly cant stand them.  But OU would bring the boots and kick us around.  Part of my evaluation isnt that OU is that much better than us but that arkansas has the "deer in the headlights syndrome".  Any big game, against a good team, we choke.  Couple OU wanting to beat our ass and arkansas's mentality and there you go, huge blowout and easy win for OU.  It sucks, I hate it, but thats the way it is.

silverhawg

really now...all these super conferences are weak...each one has 2 or 3 good teams, then a bunch of middle teams, then some bad teams...its this way year in and year out...I say line up all the teams in your conference, play em all & the team with the best record at the end of the season goes on to play the winners in the other conferences in a type of playoff bowl...never gonna happen...too much cash involved...so you guys can just keep comparing apples and oranges with no real way to discern which conference is better...stats don'r tell the whole story and really when ark was in the swc..all I heard washow tough it was, now we are in the sec and sure its tough, but so is the big 12, 10 etall...give it up boys, whoever you like is always gonna be #1 to you & no one else....I just hope the hogs get it together before Auburn...and thank god we don't have Tiffin as a kicker!

arkjay19

Big 12
Pac 10
Pac 10/SEC
Big 10
Big East
Big 12
ACC
etc.

This type of thought makes me kinda want Auburn or Florida to run the table just to get into the NC game.  Auburn or Florida could beat WV, USC, Ohio State, Texas, Louisville, and other teams that get more respect just because their records are better in weaker conferences.  Even Georgia, Tennessee, and LSU could beat most of those teams.  It was a joke when Auburn got left out of the NC game.

hogfan4life56

#1  Big 10

#2  Big 12

#3  ACC

#4  PAC 10

#5  SEC

SHAMEFUL!!!

i hope your kidding, dang you cant be positive about anything.   

hogfan4life56

Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 01:54:26 pm
It amazes me that so many are offended by the SEC being down this year.  You guys must really love the auburns and alabamas to defend it to the point that you would make personal comments to me.  When people get stirred up like this, its because someone said something everyone knows is true but no one wants to talk about.  Anyway, thanks for all your kind comments, they are the nicest things anyone has to said to me today.

no its because it's crazy, i want some of that stuff your smoking.

Theolesnort

#1  Big 10

#2  Big 12

#3  ACC

#4  PAC 10

#5  SEC

SHAMEFUL!!!

Well I ain't going to insult you like some did but what ever credibility you had as a poster with me just flew out the window. ???
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

brooks74

Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 01:21:29 pm
I hate oklahoma but they would beat the hogs something like 42-10 if we played them.

So, because the one of the top 2 teams in the Big 12 can beat a middle of the pack team in the SEC, that makes the Big 12 better than the SEC?  Nice reasoning there buddy!  OU would get hammered by LSU, Auburn, Florida and be beat soundly by Tennessee and Georgia.  Those defenses would shut down Peterson.  Texas and OU are the only two Big 12 schools that could compete in the SEC.  ATM, KSU, KU, Baylor, Tech, etc etc would all be at the level of UK, MSU, Ole Miss and Vandy.

Count_Porkula

Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 01:21:29 pm

If MM played like he did yesterday, we wouldn't score a point and they hang about 70 on us.

TXrazorback

#1  Big 10

#2  Big 12

#3  ACC

#4  PAC 10

#5  SEC

SHAMEFUL!!!

Somebody might want to do a little research before they post rather than shooting from the hip.  I am suprised this did not end up in the trash can.  Please come up with a logical argument.  Is it possible that GA was not mentally prepared to play an 0-3 Colorado?  I for one think it would be extremely difficult to "get up" for a game against a team that lost to a division I-AA team.

Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

dishhog10

#1  Big 10

#2  Big 12

#3  ACC

#4  PAC 10

#5  SEC

SHAMEFUL!!!

Your not so bright.   
Lets band together and back BP

doo-ran

To put the big 12 ahead of anything is just stupid.

doo-ran

Quote from: arkhog9 on September 24, 2006, 03:17:44 pm

Big 12
Pac 10
Pac 10/SEC
Big 10
Big East
Big 12
ACC
etc.

This type of thought makes me kinda want Auburn or Florida to run the table just to get into the NC game.  Auburn or Florida could beat WV, USC, Ohio State, Texas, Louisville, and other teams that get more respect just because their records are better in weaker conferences.  Even Georgia, Tennessee, and LSU could beat most of those teams.  It was a joke when Auburn got left out of the NC game.
I agree, but Louisville is darn tough. That's where the best Kentucky players want to go. Also, greater Louisville has over 1 million in population. There are simply a lot of players there. They are just getting tougher and tougher. I went to the game last year when they annihilated Rutgers. The environment was unbelievable. A couple of weeks ago there was a thread talking about swagger. Attend a Louisville game...they have it for sure. They are truly the "Beast of the Least" Could Auburn and Florida beat them? Sure, but they could also beat them maybe just not as easy as Miami. 8)

Immensehog

Ole Miss would finish 4th in the Big 12.
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

doo-ran

Quote from: Immensehog on September 24, 2006, 06:07:19 pm
Ole Miss would finish 4th in the Big 12.
Cabot could finish 4th in the Big 12.