Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama Football, the 800 lb gorilla

Started by mikeirwin, September 24, 2006, 02:19:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

September 24, 2006, 02:19:57 am Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 02:22:16 am by mikeirwin
Or so they think.
We have a live hookup in the southeast tunnel of RRS.
We've used it for 5 years and never had a problem.
Today some Alabama weight room tough guy came out of the locker room before the game and demanded that we remove our equipment.
Now that stuff was up against the east wall of the tunnel and occupied a space no more than 2 1/2 feet square. There was a good 12 feet of clearance between our stuff and the other wall.
When my guy hesitated the Bama tough guy said, FINE. KEEP IT THERE. BUT WE DONT COME OUT TO PLAY THIS GAME UNTIL YOUR STUFF IS GONE.
My guy called me in the press box and explained the situation. Rather than create a scene I told him to clear the equipment.
The whole thing was a power play.
Two years ago that same tough guy kicked The entire Arkansas grounds crew out of the stadium before a Friday walk through even though they were still getting the field ready for the next day. Mike Shula then proceeded to stage a full scale practice on the game field tearing big chunks out of it in the process.
Let me say that it is customary if a visiting team is going to actually workout on Friday that they use the opposing team's practice field.
I know of no other D-1 school that acts like the 'Bama people do.
Well okay one.
Last year Auburn completely trashed the visiting locker room after they beat the Hogs in RRS.
The workers in charge of cleaning it up said they had never seen an opposing team leave such a mess behind.

hogs25

I don't get it.  What difference does it make?  I would've found him after the game and said ha ha ...ha.......ha ha then hall arse.

mikeirwin

The difference it makes is that it makes watching them lose a lot more fun.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 24, 2006, 02:30:11 am

Virtual +1

fortcityhog

the state of alabama ive noticed is one of the in-hospitable staes ive ever been in.  bama just has no "act right."  they're going home wanting to die though so there is some internal satisfaction that i get when you share that posting!!!! LOL thanks mike!  by the way saw you at the game and you need to support the HOGS BABY!!! c'mon man!!! whoo pig sooie!!!!     looked like a stud support'n the CH 5 high dollar camera though!!! LOL    keep it real!

mikeirwin

I lived in Alabama for 2 years.
I always felt like an outsider.
That's in direct contrast to when I moved to Arkansas in 1975.
I immediately felt like I was at home.

fortcityhog

BOOO BAMA!!!!!    im just out on BAMA... they're rude in the parking lot on thier way home!!! maybe cuz i ran up on them flaging my HOGS shirt saying "roll tide, roll home, thanks for the W"

WHOO PIG SOOIE. 

i got the bird from two different older ladies!!! that was hilarios... they cant park either!!!

rest up and take it to auburn!!!! we all need the rest!!!!

pbjones81

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 24, 2006, 02:30:11 am

yes it does.....i dont get it with the bama fans....why the attitude like theyre better than everyone?  they need to do a self check because a very unorganized arkansas team just beat them.  I love it.

dana caldwell

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 24, 2006, 02:19:57 am
Or so they think.
Today some Alabama weight room tough guy came out of the locker room before the game and demanded that we remove our equipment.
Now that stuff was up against the east wall of the tunnel and occupied a space no more than 2 1/2 feet square. There was a good 12 feet of clearance between our stuff and the other wall.
When my guy hesitated the Bama tough guy said, FINE. KEEP IT THERE. BUT WE DONT COME OUT TO PLAY THIS GAME UNTIL YOUR STUFF IS GONE.
My guy called me in the press box and explained the situation. Rather than create a scene I told him to clear the equipment.
Two years ago that same tough guy kicked The entire Arkansas grounds crew out of the stadium before a Friday walk through even though they were still getting the field ready for the next day. Mike Shula then proceeded to stage a full scale practice on the game field tearing big chunks out of it in the process.
Let me say that it is customary if a visiting team is going to actually workout on Friday that they use the opposing team's practice field.
Well okay one.
Last year Auburn completely trashed the visiting locker room after they beat the Hogs in RRS.
The workers in charge of cleaning it up said they had never seen an opposing team leave such a mess behind.

what a jerk. i hope u issued a complaint and it will be followed up.

u know well what we've had to put up with on the road in the past -- gaining sideline access two mins late and having to kneel on the wet grass at LSU two or three years back leaps to mind -- but u shouldn't have to take crap from roadies in RRS.

and that shula sure is arrogant. karma will tackle him, methinks.

moehog

September 24, 2006, 05:52:18 am #9 Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 05:58:37 am by moehog
I agree. Until you have lived there you don't know how arrogant they are. I was born/raised a Razorback. Moved to west Tennessee and then to Alabama. I was there for 3 long years. Now back in West Tennessee near family. Fans in Alabama and Tennessee are similar. They never get beat. They were cheated. I was there during Bill Curry years. He was a good man but they hated him, even when he was 10-0 going into Auburn. He was not Bear's boy. They said it was because he couldn't beat Auburn is why he was let go. Shula hasn't either but he is adored because he is one of theirs.

Copy of a post on another board for an example:

Do you really believe you won the Game? 

Reality is Bama outgained you by 120 total yards and led in time of possession by 12 minutes. If you watched the same game I did then you saw you were clearly the worse team by far. If Bama had a field goal kicker you ass would be grass. Enjoy while you can cause Auburn is gonna hand you you ass and NUTT is a complete joke!
"There is no hope for the satisfied man."

Brand X Hog Fan

Never have liked anything to do with Suckabama and this just reinforces that opinion. I hope yesterday's game begins a long era of dominion over those clowns. Mike, thanks for being the better man on the equipment issue.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

moehog

Seems I am wrong about them loving Shula. Been reading their boards.
By the way, they lost because of play calling, according to most...Shula's offense. Not running Radar's plays because those weren't the plays he ran at Tulsa... Playing not to lose and not playing to win...Sounds familiar.
"There is no hope for the satisfied man."

brooks74

Quote from: moehog on September 24, 2006, 05:52:18 am
I agree. Until you have lived there you don't know how arrogant they are. I was born/raised a Razorback. Moved to west Tennessee and then to Alabama. I was there for 3 long years. Now back in West Tennessee near family. Fans in Alabama and Tennessee are similar. They never get beat. They were cheated. I was there during Bill Curry years. He was a good man but they hated him, even when he was 10-0 going into Auburn. He was not Bear's boy. They said it was because he couldn't beat Auburn is why he was let go. Shula hasn't either but he is adored because he is one of theirs.

Reality is Bama outgained you by 120 total yards and led in time of possession by 12 minutes. If you watched the same game I did then you saw you were clearly the worse team by far. If Bama had a field goal kicker you ass would be grass. Enjoy while you can cause Auburn is gonna hand you you ass and NUTT is a complete joke!

One word for that Bama fan, "SCOREBOARD!"

jresrev

I think it's safe to say BOOO HOOOOOO BAMA

hoggerdinger

I remember going to a Little Rock game years ago and Bama won.  I was walking to the car with my family and the arse hole Bama fans drove by flipping us off and cursing.  I'll never forget that.
To me this game is one of the biggest games for us to win for that reason alone.

hogfancb

I was born and raised in North Little Rock and moved to Alabama in 1996 and the majority of the Alabama fans are jerks.  Most of the Auburn fans are respectful.  I can't wait til Monday to see all the Alabama fans at work.  They talked crap to me all last week.

hoggerdinger

Quote from: hogfancb on September 24, 2006, 08:27:48 am
I was born and raised in North Little Rock and moved to Alabama in 1996 and the majority of the Alabama fans are jerks.  Most of the Auburn fans are respectful.  I can't wait til Monday to see all the Alabama fans at work.  They talked crap to me all last week.
Stand tall.  They can say we won because of this and that....Tell em a win is a win.

wooo

I was watching a game this year with Auburn, probably the Auburn/LSU game. At the end of the game Tuberville starts walking across the field- Alabama State trooper by his side. He takes off his sun glasses and hands them to the state trooper- like the state trooper was little biootch. Kinda aggravated me a little

Allister Fiend

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 24, 2006, 02:45:24 am

I've lived in Bama for 11 years and I still don't feel welcome here! I really miss Arkansas.

4thdownnutt

next time call Herring and let our jawing DB's handle it --  after all Alabama USED to be the SEC darlings.

mikeirwin

September 24, 2006, 09:51:03 am #20 Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 10:05:45 am by mikeirwin
Quote from: dana caldwell on September 24, 2006, 05:41:31 am

what a jerk. i hope u issued a complaint and it will be followed up.

u know well what we've had to put up with on the road in the past -- gaining sideline access two mins late and having to kneel on the wet grass at LSU two or three years back leaps to mind -- but u shouldn't have to take crap from roadies in RRS.

and that shula sure is arrogant. karma will tackle him, methinks.
Dana the 'Bama broadcast media is about to go to war with the football program.
They have an interview room at Bryant Denny Stadium where all the press conferences and post game stuff is done.  I'm sure you're familiar with it. The 'Bama TV stations put in some live hookups so they would not have to bring a TV truck in everytime they wanted to feed video or go live. Apparently Larry White informed those people that they have to remove their equipment after allowing them to install it at considerable expense.
As you know there is a constant battle at some schools between the media and the SID office.
They see themselves as media cops. They think we have to be controlled or we will get out of hand.

j_frank_not_broyles

Quote from: wooo on September 24, 2006, 08:44:48 am
I was watching a game this year with Auburn, probably the Auburn/LSU game. At the end of the game Tuberville starts walking across the field- Alabama State trooper by his side. He takes off his sun glasses and hands them to the state trooper- like the state trooper was little biootch. Kinda aggravated me a little

Maybe TT left his at home, borrowed the troopers shades, and was giving them back.

Nutts and Bolts

After college I was transfered to (I could actually pick where i wanted to live so I picked Leesburg, Ga..) and I covered parts of Alabama, Ga. and the Panhandle of Fl.  I had 6 stores in Alabama alone and Tuscaloosa was one of them...  I hated that mobile home infested place.  Florida and Ga people were saints compared to Buma people..
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

BleedRazrBackRed

Could you imagine the media uproar if we managed to knock off Auburn? WOW.

101st Hogborne

Mike,
Didn't I hear you on the radio say one time that you were stationed at Mother Rucker? I was there 3 times over my 22 years and it was tough duty for a Hog Fan. What did you do in the Army?

Hogs4Ever

Yes, that makes this WIN all the more sweeter.  Eat it 'Bama!  LOL

wincrimson

Wow. I hate to hear that, mike.

Not all of us are pricks. I can assure you of that.

mikeirwin

Quote from: 101st Hogborne on September 24, 2006, 11:01:05 am

Mike,
Didn't I hear you on the radio say one time that you were stationed at Mother Rucker? I was there 3 times over my 22 years and it was tough duty for a Hog Fan. What did you do in the Army?
I worked in the post public information office. Mostly I did stories for the Ft. Rucker newspaper. This was back during the Viet Nam war. I got to interview a bunch of helicopter pilots and their crews. Those guys were something else. Talk about nads. No telling how many lives those Wobblies saved.
That was the good part of the job. The bad part was when I had to go over to the commanding General's office and do stories like when his wife won the Christmas door decorating contest.

mikeirwin

Quote from: wincrimson on September 24, 2006, 11:21:38 am
Wow. I hate to hear that, mike.

Not all of us are pricks. I can assure you of that.
Well it's no big deal. Just thought I'd mention it.
When the Hogs were first in the SEC I didn't have any problem covering Bama games.
I think it's a function of the head coach. Gene Stallings looked grumpy as hell but he was actually a class act.
Then Dubose came along and petty things starting popping up.
The SID is a part of it too.
Every SID in America should be forced to spend a couple of months learning their jobs under Charlie Fiss, the Cotton Bowl media director. That guy understands the value of good PR. He's the best in the business.

Oliverhogman

Mike,
Why didn't you just tell "Muscle Man".  I do not care whether you come out and play the game or not.  But since I know the equipment being there bothers you. The equipment will stay there.

Quit being the "nice guy".  LOL!!

geoffhog

I used to deliver ceiling tiles all over the southeast and Alabama is definitely the least hospitable place in the region. Grown men were constantly trying to start stuff with me because I wore an Arkansas cap. Its like they took it as a personal insult. They are now the SEC team I love to beat and yesterday was great. They can't stand it because we've played them so well over the years.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

Hogphilia

Quote from: moehog on September 24, 2006, 05:52:18 am

Unfortunately, I agree totally with that Bama post.   Especially the part about our coach being a joke.  (Although their OC, Rader, is even a bigger idiot).

werehog

Like many, probably most Southern families, I have relatives spread all over the 11 states of the Old Confederacy plus Missouri. I grew up in Arkansas (born in Florida and now live in Southern California) but have many relative spread from Texas to Tennessee and Alabama plus and aunt in Corinth, Ms., and numerous relatives in Louisiana in Plaquermine Parish where the Mississppi meets the Gulf (some of them are refugees temporarily living in Mississippi). We try to keep in light when we talk sports or politics. I haven't notice people from Alabama being particulary arrogant or obtuse but I'll take your word for it Mike. North Carolina is my least favorite Southern state. What we can point to this year is scoreboard -- a one point victory is still a triumph in anyone's ledger.

rlamb

It was back about 5-6 years ago and listening to DriveTime and some
traveling salesman, it sounded like, arrogant and older probably in his
60's or so had called in.  At that time, Bazzall was Rainwater's running mate and the guy started out saying that his beloved Tide had won 14
National Championships and what the heck were we hanging out that banner from 64' when they had won the title that year?

He called us a bunch of hillbilly ridgerunners and didn't deserve to be
hanging out that banner. (we all know we rightfully deserved that title
if the polls had stayed open as the only unbeaten major that year, we would have been unnaminous undisputed National champs)  Anyway, Bazzel and Rainwater were taken aback with that guy's arrogance and still tried to be hospitable to him but finally Bazzall said that we had been doing a pretty good job of beating their ar*es since we had been in the mighty SEC!!  He hung up then.

I thinkl a lot of the rude treatment exists because we have been beating them as regular as any team in the SEC from 92' and they can't stand it. Look at this,

1.  8-7 us against them since 92' counting the forfeit in 93'.
2.  During that time they haven't been exactly a "weak sister" in
the SEC as they've won a National Title and 3-4 SEC championships
during that era.  The historic KINGS of college football JUST CAN'T
STAND THAT!!!!!!!!!
3.   I wonder if they ever dwell on the possibility of Bear Bryant noT going from Fordyce to Bama to play & Coach HERE &where we might have been today IF THAT HAD HAPPENED.
4.   If Frank had of hired Jimmy Johnson in 76' or 83" or Barry Switzer anytime. Or Joe Gibbs.  We might be talking about those 9-10 former National Championshils, not them.

Tideboy

Or so they think.
Well okay one.

Mr. Irwin, I hate that that happened, but I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.  There have been a few instances in our SID that have irritated many of us since Coach Stallings retired.  I'm going to forward this to a couple of contacts that can get this to the AD level (Mal Moore).  It may not result in anything, but I will have the satisfaction of knowing that it has been pushed up to the people that can (and should) make a difference.

I hope y'all won't judge us all by the contact of a few.  Take it to theWar Buzzards.  Good luck the rest of the way.   
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/Tideboy/tideboy1.jpg

"For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another" (Job 19:25–27).

Allister Fiend

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 24, 2006, 11:23:07 am
Quote from: 101st Hogborne on September 24, 2006, 11:01:05 am

Mike,
I worked in the post public information office. Mostly I did stories for the Ft. Rucker newspaper. This was back during the Viet Nam war. I got to interview a bunch of helicopter pilots and their crews. Those guys were something else. Talk about nads. No telling how many lives those Wobblies saved.
That was the good part of the job. The bad part was when I had to go over to the commanding General's office and do stories like when his wife won the Christmas door decorating contest.

Mike, was that the "Army Flier" you worked at by chance? If so, it's a VERY small world!!

Allister Fiend

Mike, was that the "Army Flier" you worked at by chance? If so, it's a VERY small world!!

Tideboy

Or so they think.
Well okay one.

Mr. Irwin, I hate that that happened, but I appreciate you mentioning it.  I am going to forward this to a couple of contacts that will get it to our AD's (Mal Moore) attention.  Don't know if anything will be done about it, but there have been several incidents regarding our SID since Coach Stallings retirement that have irritated our alums and fans, and I think our AD needs to know about it.

Please don't judge the majority by the actions of a few...  Good luck against the War Buzzards.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/Tideboy/tideboy1.jpg

"For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another" (Job 19:25–27).

pignatious

I think Tuberville really enjoys rubbing it in Broyles and Arkansas fans faces that he is not the head coach here and he beats us in Fayetteville. In '03 the Auburn players were pointing into the stands and laughing at the fans who remained after the game in RRS. Classless. If they are trashing our locker rooms that doesn't surprise me. He should have more control over his team, or he is letting them do that.
Freedom is never free.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Allister Fiend on September 24, 2006, 04:16:45 pm
Yes that was it.
I remember that we always printed too many copies. They would send three of us out in a pickup the day the paper was printed.
We would pull the previous week's papers out of the rack and put in the fresh ones. When you are bringing back five or six papers from each rack to me you are printing too many. But I never could get them to listen.
More waste of the taxpayer's money.

101st Hogborne

Quote from: rlamb on September 24, 2006, 02:16:21 pm
It was back about 5-6 years ago and listening to DriveTime and some
traveling salesman, it sounded like, arrogant and older probably in his
60's or so had called in.  At that time, Bazzall was Rainwater's running mate and the guy started out saying that his beloved Tide had won 14
National Championships and what the heck were we hanging out that banner from 64' when they had won the title that year?

He called us a bunch of hillbilly ridgerunners and didn't deserve to be
hanging out that banner. (we all know we rightfully deserved that title
if the polls had stayed open as the only unbeaten major that year, we would have been unnaminous undisputed National champs)  Anyway, Bazzel and Rainwater were taken aback with that guy's arrogance and still tried to be hospitable to him but finally Bazzall said that we had been doing a pretty good job of beating their ar*es since we had been in the mighty SEC!!  He hung up then.

I thinkl a lot of the rude treatment exists because we have been beating them as regular as any team in the SEC from 92' and they can't stand it. Look at this,

1.  8-7 us against them since 92' counting the forfeit in 93'.
2.  During that time they haven't been exactly a "weak sister" in
the SEC as they've won a National Title and 3-4 SEC championships
during that era.  The historic KINGS of college football JUST CAN'T
STAND THAT!!!!!!!!!
3.   I wonder if they ever dwell on the possibility of Bear Bryant noT going from Fordyce to Bama to play & Coach HERE &where we might have been today IF THAT HAD HAPPENED.
4.   If Frank had of hired Jimmy Johnson in 76' or 83" or Barry Switzer anytime. Or Joe Gibbs.  We might be talking about those 9-10 former National Championshils, not them.

Having mentioned earlier that I lived there on and off beginning the first time in 86 and the last time in 04, the one thing you have to understand about Tide Fans is there entire identity evolves around being "A L A B A M A". Their lack of recent success has the older fans baffled as to why people don't kneel when they walk on the field. They're not all too different than us Hog Fans, being a state with no pro team except they have Auburn and we don't.

I use to joke with Tide fans saying that the State owed Arkansas an official Thank You for Bear. You'd be amazed at how many of them don't even know Bear is from Arkansas. They are some of the most arrogant fans I've ever encountered you can't convince them that the Glory Days are over.

Porkahontas

Simple.

Next time this happens. inform the referees and the Razorback coaching staff of what is going on and then report back to the Tide jackass that the game begins at 2:30 sharp and if they want to be girls about it and sit back in their locker room, the game can begin without them in the form of delay of games and repeated warnings from the referees.

When the national TV audience has to wait for the game to begin and the announcers state that it's a case of Bama being pricks about something petty, then the nation will get a sense of what they're all about.

What is the rules concerning a team doing that? Could they face ejections or penalties if they won't come out of the locker room over something like that?

hoggerdinger

Quote from: Porkahontas on September 24, 2006, 07:03:52 pm

Simple.

Next time this happens. inform the referees and the Razorback coaching staff of what is going on and then report back to the Tide jackass that the game begins at 2:30 sharp and if they want to be girls about it and sit back in their locker room, the game can begin without them in the form of delay of games and repeated warnings from the referees.

When the national TV audience has to wait for the game to begin and the announcers state that it's a case of Bama being pricks about something petty, then the nation will get a sense of what they're all about.

What is the rules concerning a team doing that? Could they face ejections or penalties if they won't come out of the locker room over something like that?
I'm glad we beat those booty holes.  If more hogs hit like BIG SAM we wouldn't have to worry about whipping them every year. 

Allister Fiend

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 24, 2006, 05:32:22 pm
Quote from: Allister Fiend on September 24, 2006, 04:16:45 pm
Yes that was it.
I remember that we always printed too many copies. They would send three of us out in a pickup the day the paper was printed.
We would pull the previous week's papers out of the rack and put in the fresh ones. When you are bringing back five or six papers from each rack to me you are printing too many. But I never could get them to listen.
More waste of the taxpayer's money.

Funny! I work for Media General, and up until a few months back, we handled the contract on that paper at Ft. Rucker. I believe The Montgomery Advertiser has it now. Poor saps. I'm at The Dothan Eagle just down the road.

filthyswine

Anyone else think that the 'Bama fans were obnoxious?  I was fed up with them before the game even started.  I asked some one-eyed guy about the elephant and his response was "Have you ever seen an elephant compared to a pig?  We're gonna kick ya'lls butts"  I really almost punched him.  I just wanted to know where they got the elephant from "Roll Tide".  I'm glad it was a long trip back to alabama for those redneck idiots.

CorningHog

I actually had some good conversations with the ones I ran into.  You can always find a few "loud mouthed" fans who take this stuff way too personal.

I told the ones I met after the game that it was a tough loss for them and that to be safe on the way home.  We could have just as easily been on the wrong side of the Win Loss column of this game.

Anyway, I will say that most everyone I met last year on the road game to Alabama in Tuscaloosa was very cordial and had a lot of class.  We talked football and it was nice to get to visit with people who are just as passionate and educated about their team just like most of the SEC schools.

I would not take that one instance as an indication of how all BAMA fans act.
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

RhodeHog

One rotten apple spoils the whole bunch.  I didn't notice anything rude or obnoxious.

mbgrulz

yeah, i love to watch a bunch of idiots who dont realize that bear bryant is long gone and they are  not even the best FB team in their state. they (along with us) are a second rate SEC team, who is not close to UF, LSU, or AU.

filthyswine

I'm sure that there are some good ones out there, but there were a lot of bad ones around me.  I must have been in the wrong section.