Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Malzahn ever get it done?

Started by Adam Stokes, September 23, 2006, 04:20:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fu-man-soo

i had a similar post that was put in the trash can?

Shoatly

Quote from: nwarazfan on September 23, 2006, 08:47:36 pm
Quote from: DickSonstreetDFW on September 23, 2006, 08:46:38 pm
Quote from: ajs15razorman on September 23, 2006, 04:20:01 pm
  People have been complaining about our defense, but it looks to me that it is our offense that has truly been struggling.  Gus has done a horrible job calling plays, and needs to discipline our guys so they get less penalties.  Three points at half?  Twenty points against Utah State?  I think someone is a little over rated.  Our offense has not been getting it done.  Anyone with the best QB out of high school and the best RB tandem in the nation should be able to average better than 20 points a game. 

Jeez.  We have an OC who was coaching in high school last year, and a true freshman QB.  I think GM gets a little slack this season. 

If you're concerned about discipline, please note HDN teams have ALWAYS lacked discipline, on and off the field.

slack?  Coaches should come in ready to coach at this level.  It isn't the Southland Conference. 

Like Nutt, for example?  We've given him all the time he needs and he has conclusively demonstrated that he isn't D1 material.  MM had an off game, but it looked like we ran a lot of those 1 and 2 receiver plays that Nutt has been running for years now.  MM still made a nice throw in OT to win it.  It is still a win.  And I still want Nutt gone.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 09:04:37 pm
Quote from: football17 on September 23, 2006, 08:59:05 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 08:56:08 pm
Quote from: football17 on September 23, 2006, 08:50:35 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 08:48:43 pm
Quote from: football17 on September 23, 2006, 07:41:18 pm
Gus is an offensive genius... give him time and he will make a name for himself across college football.. it's just a matter of time.

Show me proof where he has been successful on the college level?

Re-read that post.. it says "in time" ...

Well heck, HDN will learn how to coach "in time".
Shibest will learn to coach special teams "in time"
Johnson could learn to throw a fade pass "in time"

Given an infinate number of years, HDN would win a NC. However, I am not prepared to wait that long. I wanted Nutt fired in 2002. Gus gets no favoritism from me. If he was from Waco, you would be burning effigies of him by now.

I agree, Nutt and Co. needs to go.. but not Gus... just wait and see...
Gus is an offensive genius... give him time and he will make a name for himself across college football.. it's just a matter of time.

Given an infinate number of years, HDN would win a NC. However, I am not prepared to wait that long. I wanted Nutt fired in 2002. Gus gets no favoritism from me. If he was from Waco, you would be burning effigies of him by now.

I agree with you totally, except in your criticism of Gus... this is only his fourth college game he's ever coached in... just wait and see...

I "think" you are right. But there are many on this board ready to brand him the savior when his offense is mediocre at best. Cutcliffe, meanwhile, seems to have NO PROBLEM installing his new offense in Tennessee. Nor Wittke in Arizona.
I am not sure Gus is the savior of this program.  I am not even sure he is a D-1 OC.  But, Cutcliffe and Wittke don't have Houston Dale watering down the offense.  They are able to put their O in place and run it, come Hell or high water.  I want Gus to have a reasonable chance to install his O without interference.  If he has that, and it doesn't look good...Then fire his arse.

football17

I agree with you totally, except in your criticism of Gus... this is only his fourth college game he's ever coached in... just wait and see...

I "think" you are right. But there are many on this board ready to brand him the savior when his offense is mediocre at best. Cutcliffe, meanwhile, seems to have NO PROBLEM installing his new offense in Tennessee. Nor Wittke in Arizona.

I'm sure they dont have their head coach interferring either...

PigPusher

I don't understand why the Mods are leaving this up. The trash can is full of posts with a lot better reason to exit than this one and they got trashed.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

pigfoot

[/quote]

And I still want Nutt gone.
[/quote]

You and a host of others !  But he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  The more we win, the longer he will be around.  And we're not nearly through winning.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

HawgPilot

Quote from: ajs15razorman on September 23, 2006, 04:25:15 pm
  Of course you suspect Nutt.  If the offense ever messes up you blame Nutt, even when Gus calls the plays.  If Gus has full control of the offense he'd say screw nutt and run his own offense.  Does that mean Gus has not called out of the I-formation all year?  It is Gus's offense from here on out and he is responsible for the success/failures of it.  If he can't get it done send him back to high school.

You are an idiot.  Plain and simple.  Read Gus' book and you will be ashamed you even made this post.

nwarazfan

Quote from: HawgPilot on September 23, 2006, 09:14:51 pm
  Of course you suspect Nutt.  If the offense ever messes up you blame Nutt, even when Gus calls the plays.  If Gus has full control of the offense he'd say screw nutt and run his own offense.  Does that mean Gus has not called out of the I-formation all year?  It is Gus's offense from here on out and he is responsible for the success/failures of it.  If he can't get it done send him back to high school.

You are an idiot.  Plain and simple.  Read Gus' book and you will be ashamed you even made this post.

Is that book with the childrens books?

jamie72921

This is retarded. Malzahn went head to head with one of the top Defensive coordinators in the country today. He didn't win every time, but my gosh didn't you notice him outscheme Kines on our last TD drive of regulation? Only a FOOL would have missed that. Also, it is tough for an offense to get in rhythm when the D can't get themselves off the field. Twice in the firs half the offense flipped the field and made Bama start inside its own 10 and the D let them move and score. The D has 9 returners. The offense is the young unit. The D isn't helping the offense although they had a big TD today.
Bless your heart

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 23, 2006, 09:07:54 pm

I am not sure Gus is the savior of this program.  I am not even sure he is a D-1 OC.  But, Cutcliffe and Wittke don't have Houston Dale watering down the offense.  They are able to put their O in place and run it, come Hell or high water.  I want Gus to have a reasonable chance to install his O without interference.  If he has that, and it doesn't look good...Then fire his arse.

There was no evidence of that happening today. This was Gus' show IMO.

strawhog

why dont you lay off and quit trying to start trouble.  Hogs won chill out for a night.

PigPusher

Its just their little egos talking jamie.  I doubt if most of the grumpers really do care one way or the other about our Hogs.  Its just a little oneups manship game that will go one and one.  Most have never gone to a game or attended the U of A.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: strawhog on September 23, 2006, 09:19:47 pm
why dont you lay off and quit trying to start trouble.  Hogs won chill out for a night.

Because our offense looked like crap.  If HDN was still his own OC, I have a hunch you would be joining me in criticising this performance. Why is it "trouble" anyway?

strawhog

Lets just say I vote 1 for you starting trouble.  Lets see who else agrees.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: strawhog on September 23, 2006, 09:23:12 pm
Lets just say I vote 1 for you starting trouble.  Lets see who else agrees.

A slam thread? You are actually going to convert this into a slam thread?

How old are you?

strawhog

[/quote]

How old are you?
[/quote]
You converted this into a slam thread the minute you started spewing the I love Nutt Crap

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: strawhog on September 23, 2006, 09:27:37 pm

How old are you?
[/quote]
You converted this into a slam thread the minute you started spewing the I love Nutt Crap
[/quote]

When did I say I love Nutt?

Golfer

Quote from: hog caller on September 23, 2006, 08:03:25 pm
did you notice Nutt on the sideline facing Gus and telling him what plays to run. we are fooling ourselves to think he will turn Gus loose.

How could you tell he was telling hin what play to run? Were you able to hear the conversation?

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 09:18:39 pm

I'm not so sure about that Sal.  As I have noted on several other threads (possibly this one, I don't want to look through it all again), every single time we had a sucessfull running play we followed it up with 2 more to the same hole and punted.  Wasn't always the same formation, but it was the same mind at work.  Gus was brought here (we hope this was why he was brought in anyway) because he is a creative offensive mind.  I believe there is ample video evidence of this in Shiloh and Springdale game tapes.  Does that creative offensive mind attack the same spot in the same manner 3 times in a row just because the first worked?  Next, the pass plays may have been out of the spread formation for a large part of the game, but the patterns were straight out of the Houston Dale 2 man pass patterns for Dummies book.  We didn't try a double move all night.  The only routes we hit for significant gains all afternoon (excluding screens) were break offs by the indiviual reciever.  Monk did it early for a nice gain, and Cleveland did it for the game winner.   These things give me no confidence that what we saw was Gus' O today. 

brooks74

Gus has coached 4 college games.  If you thought the Hogs, make that any team, can bring in a new OC, a new QB, playing 3-4 true freshman on a regular basis, and everything would be clicking 4 games into the season, that shows your lack of football knowledge.  We got lucky tonight that Bama has a field goal kicker that is worse than ours, and we survived our true freshman QB having a very true freshman like night.  Our passing game tonight struggled putting it nicely and we got a win.  I'll take a W anytime we play this bad. 

Rzrbckr

I think what you need to understand is that Gus can call the plays but that doesn't mean that nutt is not telling him what to call at times.

Rzrbckr

Quote from: brooks74 on September 23, 2006, 09:36:59 pm
Gus has coached 4 college games.  If you thought the Hogs, make that any team, can bring in a new OC, a new QB, playing 3-4 true freshman on a regular basis, and everything would be clicking 4 games into the season, that shows your lack of football knowledge.  We got lucky tonight that Bama has a field goal kicker that is worse than ours, and we survived our true freshman QB having a very true freshman like night.  Our passing game tonight struggled putting it nicely and we got a win.  I'll take a W anytime we play this bad. 
Yes   GO HOGS GO

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 23, 2006, 09:36:35 pm

I'm not so sure about that Sal.  As I have noted on several other threads (possibly this one, I don't want to look through it all again), every single time we had a sucessfull running play we followed it up with 2 more to the same hole and punted.  Wasn't always the same formation, but it was the same mind at work.  Gus was brought here (we hope this was why he was brought in anyway) because he is a creative offensive mind.  I believe there is ample video evidence of this in Shiloh and Springdale game tapes.  Does that creative offensive mind attack the same spot in the same manner 3 times in a row just because the first worked?  Next, the pass plays may have been out of the spread formation for a large part of the game, but the patterns were straight out of the Houston Dale 2 man pass patterns for Dummies book.  We didn't try a double move all night.  The only routes we hit for significant gains all afternoon (excluding screens) were break offs by the indiviual reciever.  Monk did it early for a nice gain, and Cleveland did it for the game winner.   These things give me no confidence that what we saw was Gus' O today. 

good points. But neither of us know for sure and that is my general position. We are all speculatve here. I do try to be honest of that.  Here is what I do know. #1: there are more successful OC's implementing new offenses around the SEC and D-1 football this year. Cutcliffe is the obvious example. Second, Mustain thre into double coverage sixteen times before I quit counting. In 20 consecutive plays, he checked off the receiver exactly zero times. My problem is not with Gus and Mitch. My problem is with fans that are allowing excessively generous to them. This is a problem for several reasons. #1: it is unfair to other players and coaches. #2: their popularity is based in locality, not observation. #3: If they don't meet the EXCESSIVELY HIGH expectations, they are gonna fail in the eyes of the entire program and that will be VERY bad for them.

idochog

Quote from: nwarazfan on September 23, 2006, 08:44:04 pm
Gus was responsible for today's offense.  Stop trying to blame Houston.  I've wanted Nutt gone for years, but this gimmick offense is on Gus.  We were successful with DMac and FJ-not the fake reverse gimmick offense.

I would be interested for you to prove how you know it is all gus w/ no interference from HDN.

Do you attend the weekly coaches meeting which is where HDN said what plays are ran and what arent.

You are sorry for attacking the new coach when you dont have all the facts and not attacking HDN when you 8+ yrs of crap.
I love Jesus!

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: idochog on September 23, 2006, 09:44:26 pm
Gus was responsible for today's offense.  Stop trying to blame Houston.  I've wanted Nutt gone for years, but this gimmick offense is on Gus.  We were successful with DMac and FJ-not the fake reverse gimmick offense.

I would be interested for you to prove how you know it is all gus w/ no interference from HDN.

Do you attend the weekly coaches meeting which is where HDN said what plays are ran and what arent.

You are sorry for attacking the new coach when you dont have all the facts and not attacking HDN when you 8+ yrs of crap.

Actually, that burden of proof is upon you. As OC, the offense is presumed to be his. It is up to you to prove the interference becaue the evidence is (as oc) Gus has the offense.You have to disprove the evidence.

jamie72921

Salvaboar 3-1 with Gus and Mitch.

Last season with your coordinator what was our record. We are right on track with my expectations based on our talent. What gives? You just don't like Malzahn do you.
Bless your heart

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 09:43:11 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 23, 2006, 09:36:35 pm

I'm not so sure about that Sal.  As I have noted on several other threads (possibly this one, I don't want to look through it all again), every single time we had a sucessfull running play we followed it up with 2 more to the same hole and punted.  Wasn't always the same formation, but it was the same mind at work.  Gus was brought here (we hope this was why he was brought in anyway) because he is a creative offensive mind.  I believe there is ample video evidence of this in Shiloh and Springdale game tapes.  Does that creative offensive mind attack the same spot in the same manner 3 times in a row just because the first worked?  Next, the pass plays may have been out of the spread formation for a large part of the game, but the patterns were straight out of the Houston Dale 2 man pass patterns for Dummies book.  We didn't try a double move all night.  The only routes we hit for significant gains all afternoon (excluding screens) were break offs by the indiviual reciever.  Monk did it early for a nice gain, and Cleveland did it for the game winner.   These things give me no confidence that what we saw was Gus' O today. 

good points. But neither of us know for sure and that is my general position. We are all speculatve here. I do try to be honest of that.  Here is what I do know. #1: there are more successful OC's implementing new offenses around the SEC and D-1 football this year. Cutcliffe is the obvious example. Second, Mustain thre into double coverage sixteen times before I quit counting. In 20 consecutive plays, he checked off the receiver exactly zero times. My problem is not with Gus and Mitch. My problem is with fans that are allowing excessively generous to them. This is a problem for several reasons. #1: it is unfair to other players and coaches. #2: their popularity is based in locality, not observation. #3: If they don't meet the EXCESSIVELY HIGH expectations, they are gonna fail in the eyes of the entire program and that will be VERY bad for them.
I'm certainly not saying MM and GM were spectacular today.  I believe that once we named Mitch the starter, we have to let him play through it every week, barring injury of course.  RE: Gus, I am obviously speculating.  I know what I see, but I don't know what it means.  I know I have been able to call Houston's plays based on formation and situation since 1998.  I know Houston is so predictable that it is ludicrous.  I know Gus has a reputation as an innovator.  I don't know who was calling plays today.  But, I know who it looke like.

Rzrbckr

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 09:21:48 pm

Because our offense looked like crap.  If HDN was still his own OC, I have a hunch you would be joining me in criticising this performance. Why is it "trouble" anyway?
Once again, just like with your ROJO comments. Nutt had 8 years Gus has had 4 games with a head coach that's been overriding his decisions. I can tell you that when Gus' team is inside the 30 2nd and1 he is not going to run the ball like we did today. He will be passing for the endzone.

idochog

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 23, 2006, 09:49:24 pm

Last season with your coordinator what was our record. We are right on track with my expectations based on our talent. What gives? You just don't like Malzahn do you.

AMEN brother, 1st time since 1998 that HDN has started 2-0 and Gus is doing it w/ a frosh QB and a frosh TE and implementing a new offense.
I love Jesus!

nwarazfan

September 23, 2006, 09:53:25 pm #79 Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 09:56:44 pm by nwarazfan
Quote from: idochog on September 23, 2006, 09:51:43 pm

AMEN brother, 1st time since 1998 that HDN has started 2-0 and Gus is doing it w/ a frosh QB and a frosh TE and implementing a new offense.

Wrong.  Nutt was not 'our' coord. 

idochog

You can tell who the huggers are, they are going way out of the way to bash Gus at every turn
I love Jesus!

Rzrbckr

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 09:47:04 pm

Actually, that burden of proof is upon you. As OC, the offense is presumed to be his. It is up to you to prove the interference becaue the evidence is (as oc) Gus has the offense.You have to disprove the evidence.
Evidence you want. Go back and watch films of Gus' Springdale and Shiloh games. You will see the difference.

nwarazfan

Incorrect premise.  We have not supported Nutt and are not Huggers.  Gus had a bad game today with only a few exceptions.  Just reality.

strawhog

Quote from: nwarazfan on September 23, 2006, 09:55:38 pm

Incorrect premise.  We have not supported Nutt and are not Huggers.  Gus had a bad game today with only a few exceptions.  Just reality.
Just reality all of the hugging gets old

nwarazfan

Quote from: Rzrbckr on September 23, 2006, 09:54:04 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 09:47:04 pm

Evidence you want. Go back and watch films of Gus' Springdale and Shiloh games. You will see the difference.

I don't need film.  I saw the gimmicks today.

Hong Kong Sooey

Incorrect premise.  We have not supported and Nutt and are not Huggers.  Gus had a bad game today with only a few exceptions.  Just reality.
Someone had a bad day as a playcaller today.  I see no evidence it was Gus.  I have no proof it was Houston.  OTOH, you have no proof who it was either.  I think the evidence I posted is certainly enough reason for doubt.  And, I know you are far from a hugger.

brooks74

We ran one "gimmick" play tonight and it worked.  We pulled out a win.

strawhog

Quote from: brooks74 on September 23, 2006, 09:58:22 pm
We ran one "gimmick" play tonight and it worked.  We pulled out a win.
That sure beat run run run punt

jamie72921

Nutt is your coordinator boys. You wanted a guy with college level experience. Nutt fits your profile while Gus doesn't. Therefore, Nutt was YOUR coordinator. I"ll be sticking with Gus.
Bless your heart

pigg soup

idochog

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 23, 2006, 09:57:53 pm

Incorrect premise.  We have not supported and Nutt and are not Huggers.  Gus had a bad game today with only a few exceptions.  Just reality.
Someone had a bad day as a playcaller today.  I see no evidence it was Gus.  I have no proof it was Houston.  OTOH, you have no proof who it was either.  I think the evidence I posted is certainly enough reason for doubt.  And, I know you are far from a hugger.

Fact of the matter is these guys are looking for a reason to bash Gus when the blame is all on HDN for the poor recruiting, the Reggie Herring hire and retaining crap asst coaches like Markuson, Shibest, Ealy, Vaughn, Allen.
I love Jesus!

mossfan3

fu-man-soo

nwarazfan

Quote from: idochog on September 23, 2006, 10:01:03 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 23, 2006, 09:57:53 pm

Fact of the matter is these guys are looking for a reason to bash Gus when the blame is all on HDN for the poor recruiting, the Reggie Herring hire and retaining crap asst coaches like Markuson, Shibest, Ealy, Vaughn, Allen.

I agree with all of your assessments except Gus is not above criticism when he calls games like he did today.

jamie72921

Gus isn't above criticism, but didn't call a bad game today either. If you are looking for a coordinator who called a bad game, look at Herring he's called 4 in a row now.
Bless your heart

brooks74

Gus was up against a very experienced and very, very good D-coordinator tonight!  I will never understand why we let Kines leave.  Gus is working on a huge learning curve and, in my opinion, make adjustments as he learns what works and what doesn't. 

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: HogFaninGA on September 23, 2006, 08:13:17 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 23, 2006, 08:12:32 pm
Quote from: HogFaninGA on September 23, 2006, 08:09:15 pm
Gus might be calling the plays, but he is from a limited playbook.
Gus is calling the plays, if by "calling the plays" you mean physically relaying them in.  Dale is utilizing his "Ultimate Veto" early and often.  As stated above, todays O looked like what Dale would imaging Gus' O to look like.  There were moments, like the OT TD that looked like real spread football, but by and large, it looked like the "I" run from the spread.

I agree Hong kong--we are on the same page

I have no doubt the playbook is limited, but how much of that is due to the staff trying to find the balance between the strength of our running game (which may go better with the I) and the passing game (Mustain seems to throw better out of the spread)?

So far as going back to the "I run from the spread": Mustain had a bad day--completed like 33% of his passes with 3 picks. Some of his misses were not really even close. I thought they  had to go with the run more.

Hopefully over the next two weeks the playbook will expand, and I feel confident Mustain will learn from his mistakes. Even making mistakes he also makes good things happen--he makes plays. The good news is we still won with a limited playbook and subpar game from our QB. A lot of learning can happen over the next month, win or lose at Auburn.

Bustahog

I am a Gus lover and Springdale 4 supporter and will be the first to say that tonight's game was definitely a learning experience.  The main difference between this poor offensive game and Nutt's pathetic games over the years, is he won tonight.  Gus and MM will do nothing but get better.

Fire Nutt!!!!

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: Rzrbckr on September 23, 2006, 09:50:17 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 09:21:48 pm

Once again, just like with your ROJO comments. Nutt had 8 years Gus has had 4 games with a head coach that's been overriding his decisions. I can tell you that when Gus' team is inside the 30 2nd and1 he is not going to run the ball like we did today. He will be passing for the endzone.

Cutcliffe has had four games and seems to have been much more successful.