Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Malzahn ever get it done?

Started by Adam Stokes, September 23, 2006, 04:20:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: brooks74 on September 23, 2006, 10:13:10 pm
Gus was up against a very experienced and very, very good D-coordinator tonight!  I will never understand why we let Kines leave.  Gus is working on a huge learning curve and, in my opinion, make adjustments as he learns what works and what doesn't. 

And today he was limited by the fact that the passing game was not clicking.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: Rzrbckr on September 23, 2006, 09:54:04 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 09:47:04 pm
Quote from: idochog on September 23, 2006, 09:44:26 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on September 23, 2006, 08:44:04 pm
Gus was responsible for today's offense.  Stop trying to blame Houston.  I've wanted Nutt gone for years, but this gimmick offense is on Gus.  We were successful with DMac and FJ-not the fake reverse gimmick offense.

I would be interested for you to prove how you know it is all gus w/ no interference from HDN.

Do you attend the weekly coaches meeting which is where HDN said what plays are ran and what arent.

You are sorry for attacking the new coach when you dont have all the facts and not attacking HDN when you 8+ yrs of crap.

Actually, that burden of proof is upon you. As OC, the offense is presumed to be his. It is up to you to prove the interference becaue the evidence is (as oc) Gus has the offense.You have to disprove the evidence.
Evidence you want. Go back and watch films of Gus' Springdale and Shiloh games. You will see the difference.

That is college coaching?

jamie72921

Cutcliffe 3-1, Malzahn 3-1. Scoreboard Dali.
Bless your heart

brooks74

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 10:17:53 pm
Quote from: Rzrbckr on September 23, 2006, 09:50:17 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 09:21:48 pm
Quote from: strawhog on September 23, 2006, 09:19:47 pm
why dont you lay off and quit trying to start trouble.  Hogs won chill out for a night.

Because our offense looked like crap.  If HDN was still his own OC, I have a hunch you would be joining me in criticising this performance. Why is it "trouble" anyway?
Once again, just like with your ROJO comments. Nutt had 8 years Gus has had 4 games with a head coach that's been overriding his decisions. I can tell you that when Gus' team is inside the 30 2nd and1 he is not going to run the ball like we did today. He will be passing for the endzone.

Cutcliffe has had four games and seems to have been much more successful.

And Cutcliffe was at Tennesee under Fulmer for years before taking a head job, then came back.  Completely different set of circumstances. 

silvertip

Quote from: Stamford Hog on September 23, 2006, 07:45:43 pm
That tight end in slow motion parallel to the line of scrimmage with the stretch play is pure Nutt.  Not sure how many times I saw it tonight, but it was several.  I cringe every time I see that formation because I know exactly what is about to happen.  Usually a run for 2 yards.

You're right. They ran it tonight, to the right, with that big ole boy Petrus(?) and you could tell where the play was going. DMac off right tackle for 2 yds.

HawgPyle

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 09:04:37 pm
I "think" you are right. But there are many on this board ready to brand him the savior when his offense is mediocre at best. Cutcliffe, meanwhile, seems to have NO PROBLEM installing his new offense in Tennessee. Nor Wittke in Arizona.

I don't really follow the logic here.  We're trying to transform from an I based, simple offense to a more complex offense.  It's going to hurt.  Cutcliffe is bringing nothing new to Tennessee except exectution and teaching, which are the things we lack.  Our lack of execution falls on the coaches, Malzahn included.  Cutcliffe is also working with a more experienced offense and he has a proven track record of knowing what he's doing with QB's.  Like brooks74 said above...bit of a different set of circumstances.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: brooks74 on September 23, 2006, 10:20:55 pm
why dont you lay off and quit trying to start trouble.  Hogs won chill out for a night.

Because our offense looked like crap.  If HDN was still his own OC, I have a hunch you would be joining me in criticising this performance. Why is it "trouble" anyway?
Once again, just like with your ROJO comments. Nutt had 8 years Gus has had 4 games with a head coach that's been overriding his decisions. I can tell you that when Gus' team is inside the 30 2nd and1 he is not going to run the ball like we did today. He will be passing for the endzone.

And Cutcliffe was at Tennesee under Fulmer for years before taking a head job, then came back.  Completely different set of circumstances. 

Not really. None of the players Cutcliffe coached was still there. It is also a completely different system. It is exactly the same situation - except Cutcliffe is not from Springdale.

brooks74

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 10:24:41 pm
Quote from: brooks74 on September 23, 2006, 10:20:55 pm

Not really. None of the players Cutcliffe coached was still there. It is also a completely different system. It is exactly the same situation - except Cutcliffe is not from Springdale.

No it is not the exact same situation.  Cutcliffe is a prove D-1 offensive coordinator that already understands the SEC and SEC defenses.  How do you know it is a completely different system, were you in the coaches meetings in Knoxville this past off-season?

jamie72921

I think I have figured out what Dali is saying. If Nutt had hired a coordinator with college experience we would be 3-1 today. Instead he hired Malzahn out of high school and we are ONLY 3-1 today.
Bless your heart

cubman

anybody who has seen gus coach and read his book know this is not close to 100% gus ball.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 23, 2006, 10:27:51 pm
I think I have figured out what Dali is saying. If Nutt had hired a coordinator with college experience we would be 3-1 today. Instead he hired Malzahn out of high school and we are ONLY 3-1 today.

Actually, we might be 4-0.

cardinalhawg

Quote from: Cavehog on September 23, 2006, 08:10:59 pm
No way Nutt called that last pass.  Without GM we're 1-3 and playing with an interim coach.

We could just as easily be 3-1 with Johnson at QB, Dick at QB or with Nutt calling the plays.  I want to see Malzahn's offense develop and Mustain get better, but right now we have three wins over teams which were very beatable.  Instead of the close losses this year, we are getting some close wins, and like last year at times, it sometimes comes down to luck and failures in the kicking game.

Malzahn's ability to get the offense going and the team scoring more points will be more crucial in the upcoming games than it has been to this point.  So far, we have been able to hold the opponents down (besides USC) to a low enough score to win, where as last year, both Vandy and Bama were better.  It isn't that our offense is clicking better, it is that those teams are not as good this year.

jamie72921

He would have had to hire a new D coordinator to get to 4-0. Oh and some new players on that side of the ball as well. No way do win at Vandy or today if Nutt is still calling the plays. NO WAY! Where have you been the last 8 years?
Bless your heart

HawgPyle

I'm not from Springdale either.  That system at Tennessee is not completely different.  Really...I hadn't noticed that the players that are there now weren't there when Cutcliffe was originally at UT, I never pay attention to the calender or the Ole Miss Rebels.  But UT does have a Junior QB that's started off and on since he was a freshman and has shown talent, and inconsistency, since day one.  Guess which problem Cutcliffe has fixed?  And as much as I dislike Fulmer, UT has a head coach, something we haven't had in years.  I'll go vomit now.

Hong Kong Sooey

September 23, 2006, 10:39:39 pm #114 Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 11:10:14 pm by Hong Kong Sooey

jamie72921

Here are the facts. Both the guy who threw the ball on the winning touchdown and the guy who caught the ball on that play would have been playing somewhere else today if Malzahn weren't coordinator here. Munch on that Dali.
Bless your heart

HatfieldHog

Malzahn's scheme is limitless.  It will work!  And it will work well.  The problem with the offense today, was Mitch Mustain.  Today, Mitch played like he is a true freshman.  He threw into coverages, and floated the ball too much. 

Gentleman, Mitch is gonna have to learn to set his feet and put something on the ball, "When under Pressure."  He will learn it, but today
he was a True Freshman, trying to play in the SEC!

We Won!           See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

cardinalhawg

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 23, 2006, 10:08:49 pm
Gus isn't above criticism, but didn't call a bad game today either. If you are looking for a coordinator who called a bad game, look at Herring he's called 4 in a row now.

Herring actually had a good game plan which was to stop the run and pressure the QB.  We did get beat with the pass on plays, but it wasn't like Shula was wanting to resort to the pass.  We stopped what they wanted to do, and got enough pressure on the QB, including the turnover, in order to help win the game.  I though the defense responded well in terms of stepping up against the run, it is just we have to learn how to put out a more balanced defensive effort.

Our defense has looked bad at times, but the bottom line is that the other teams outside of USC are not scoring much, and our offense isn't scoring much.  Sure, some of these other teams have had crucial penalities, and missed opportunities in the kicking, but it comes down to scoring and stopping the other team from scoring.

cardinalhawg

Quote from: HatfieldHog on September 23, 2006, 10:43:40 pm
Malzahn's scheme is limitless.  It will work!  And it will work well.  The problem with the offense today, was Mitch Mustain.  Today, Mitch played like he is a true freshman.  He threw into coverages, and floated the ball too much. 

Gentleman, Mitch is gonna have to learn to set his feet and put something on the ball, "When under Pressure."  He will learn it, but today

We Won!           See ya

It comes down to execution, and Mustain just didn't produce most of the day.  Hopefully the receiver will run better routes as well and hold on to the good passes he makes, but the overall passing game was just off, which largely was Mustain being off.

jamie72921

Hong Kong don't even start in on me. I didn't join this discussion until page 3 and it had already deteriorated. Also, you are no ray of sunshine or bastion of moderation yourself. Stick to the subject and look in the mirror.
Bless your heart

HatfieldHog

Malzahn's system is all about "Fit" and "Execution."  When we get both, it will be a work of art.

Did anyone see the Florida game tonight?  You got a glimpse of Tim Tebow running Urban Meyer's spread attack.  Mark my words, when this kid learns this and is experienced in it.  Florida will win the SEC with it, and probably a National Title.  Leak cannot run Meyer's system.  But Tebow can.  I certainly hope that they don't rotate back to play us anytime in the next 4 years.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 23, 2006, 10:36:08 pm
He would have had to hire a new D coordinator to get to 4-0. Oh and some new players on that side of the ball as well. No way do win at Vandy or today if Nutt is still calling the plays. NO WAY! Where have you been the last 8 years?

So, we can criticise the defensive players and the DC, but not Gus and Mitch?  Why not treat them all equally? I think all the staff should go.

jamie72921

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 23, 2006, 10:08:49 pm
Gus isn't above criticism, but didn't call a bad game today either. If you are looking for a coordinator who called a bad game, look at Herring he's called 4 in a row now.
Dali, don't even try the old Gus is above criticism thing with me. I have already covered that base bro.
Bless your heart

Choctaw Hog

I for one would would like to know when you are applying for the Offensive Coordinator position?  Obviously, you are far more qualified than anyone Arkansas has.  You are nothing more than a miserable, frustrated looser in life's lottery.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on September 23, 2006, 10:56:24 pm
I for one would would like to know when you are applying for the Offensive Coordinator position?  Obviously, you are far more qualified than anyone Arkansas has.  You are nothing more than a miserable, frustrated looser in life's lottery.

Did I say I could coach better? Nope. But I know mediocre success when I see it.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 10:52:47 pm

So, we can criticise the defensive players and the DC, but not Gus and Mitch?  Why not treat them all equally? I think all the staff should go.
I agree that they all should go for the most part.  But, because several people whose opinions I respect state that Gus will be a great D-1 HC someday, I would like to find a way to keep him on the staff as a QB or WR coach.  I think he has been put in a very difficult position and will have some growing pains, but want him to have them for Arkansas, not TAMU or North Carolina.  OTOH, if it is the only way we get rid of Houston...then FIRE GUS!!!

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on September 23, 2006, 10:56:24 pm
You know this how?  It seems to me that people who make their arguments through personal attacks have no argument to begin with.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 23, 2006, 10:58:18 pm

I agree that they all should go for the most part.  But, because several people whose opinions I respect state that Gus will be a great D-1 HC someday, I would like to find a way to keep him on the staff as a QB or WR coach.  I think he has been put in a very difficult position and will have some growing pains, but want him to have them for Arkansas, not TAMU or North Carolina.  OTOH, if it is the only way we get rid of Houston...then FIRE GUS!!!

My FEELINGS are the same, actually. Dead-on in fact. However, I also realize their is no RATIONAL reason to be happy about our ofense to this point.

jamie72921

Funny coming from you Sooey. I haven't attacked anyone personally just pointed out facts and YOU are calling me out. Waiting for an apology though, but not holding my breath.
Bless your heart

dirtypig

Quote from: cardinalhawg on September 23, 2006, 10:33:52 pm
Quote from: Cavehog on September 23, 2006, 08:10:59 pm
No way Nutt called that last pass.  Without GM we're 1-3 and playing with an interim coach.

We could just as easily be 3-1 with Johnson at QB, Dick at QB or with Nutt calling the plays.  I want to see Malzahn's offense develop and Mustain get better, but right now we have three wins over teams which were very beatable.  Instead of the close losses this year, we are getting some close wins, and like last year at times, it sometimes comes down to luck and failures in the kicking game.

Malzahn's ability to get the offense going and the team scoring more points will be more crucial in the upcoming games than it has been to this point.  So far, we have been able to hold the opponents down (besides USC) to a low enough score to win, where as last year, both Vandy and Bama were better.  It isn't that our offense is clicking better, it is that those teams are not as good this year.

maniax22bolts20

Reason 1. We are 2-0 in SEC play  for the 1st time in 8 years. 2. We're 1-0 AT HOME in SEC play.

dirtypig

football17

this discussion is ridiculous... Gus just coached in his FOURTH college game EVER... he has a giddy head coach breathing down his neck and a true freshman at QB... will everyone just give Gus some time, geeze... absoultely ridiculous to be bashing Gus at this point....

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 11:00:55 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 23, 2006, 10:58:18 pm

My FEELINGS are the same, actually. Dead-on in fact. However, I also realize their is no RATIONAL reason to be happy about our ofense to this point.
Agreed, our offense has been bad for the most part.  Again, I suspect "Ultimate Veto Power" has something to do with that, but proof is hard to come by.  Mitch is a freshman, and he looks bad at times.  He also shows why he was so highly recruited at least once or twice a game.  I think he will get better as the season progresses, but may look worse.  He could play alot better vs Auburn and still look horrible.  Same with LSU.  But, once we named him the starter, then the starter he needs to be.  For better or worse.  He is the future.

Cold_Roses_80

You can say all you want about the offense, but the fact of the matter is, we have a true freshman QB.  Mitch for the most part had a lot of time to make checks get rid of the ball.  Mitch just made several bad decisions today and thats just the way it goes sometimes.

FAT HOG

First let me say to all the haters, the only thing that made the offense look bad today was the lack of experience of the golden child at QB if he does his job Gus's offense would be unquestioned.  I like Mitch, but get ready he aint there yet and he is going to make a perfectly called gamm look like sheit again before the end of the year he is still young.

Quote from: cubman on September 23, 2006, 10:32:10 pm
anybody who has seen gus coach and read his book know this is not close to 100% gus ball.

Gus is no idiot.  Let him spend a few more years with a running back like Mcfadden and if he writes another book I will bet you 100% Gus ball will not look like it did when he was at Springdale and the book wont sound the same either.  When you got a stud like him in the stable you got to turn him out to run Gus will never go all pass as long as he has a back like that count on it.

Choctaw Hog

of play call, coaching, etc. etc, etc., from people who have NEVER coached at any level much less D-1.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 23, 2006, 11:01:58 pm
Funny coming from you Sooey. I haven't attacked anyone personally just pointed out facts and YOU are calling me out. Waiting for an apology though, but not holding my breath.
Look at your PMs Jamie.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: Cold_Roses_80 on September 23, 2006, 11:07:15 pm
You can say all you want about the offense, but the fact of the matter is, we have a true freshman QB.  Mitch for the most part had a lot of time to make checks get rid of the ball.  Mitch just made several bad decisions today and thats just the way it goes sometimes.

He is also likely not our best option at QB, and that is our biggest problem. I believe Dick would have done much better. Mitch can grow on the bench like Booty did.

Hogphilia

Quote from: razorfront on September 23, 2006, 08:26:56 pm
It doesn't really matter who called the last pass play - BC didn't run the route called -  he said that he saw the end zone open and went for it when he was supposed to do a 5 out - and MM found him - I'd say the encouragement is that those boys will eventually figure out how to do it regardless of what's called

Those two "boys" that made the adjustment on the last play were taught by Mr. Gus Malzahn - you know the guy who publishes books on successful offenses?  The only thing that Dale did today was hamper our offensive flow with his constant interference - I sit not far behind the Ark. bench and witnessed it all afternoon.  

The other Dale accomplishment today was to frick up the final 3 minutes when we had a chance to drive and win the game.  Oh and he took care of managing the clock in those last 3 minutes.  AFter Bama missed the field goal - he lets 20 seconds tick off the clock before he wildly starts flinging his arms to call a time out.  Then after mis-managing the timeout, he proceeds to sit on the ball ....until he decides to try to advance it down field...then has to kick it to BAMA.....Absolutely amazing!

Hogphilia

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on September 23, 2006, 11:07:43 pm
of play call, coaching, etc. etc, etc., from people who have NEVER coached at any level much less D-1.

Then we are equal to HDN.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 23, 2006, 04:34:34 pm
Gus is having to overhaul the offense on the fly.  With this offense, it's like trying to teach a one legged man the two-step.

now that's funny!

At any rate, will you people have a little patience for Pete's sakes? Gud just got here 4 games ago! Let him recruit a little pass protection and let MM look at some SEC defense for a while and see if it gets better. The "O" has been getting a little more complex every week. Mitch had his shots today and made some bad decisions and a lot of over-throws. He's a TRUE FRESHMAN!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

dirtypig

Broke down Johnson, Limp Dick, or even Alex "I have a Big time daddy" would not get it done rather than our "Future" Stud. First and foremost you have to have a stud instead of a bunch of limp peckers in charge. Thats why we will hire Butch at the end of the season and we are starting a True freshman now. Second, did you not see the play at the end of the 4th quarter where "Malzahn" called the Springdale trick play instead of waiting for Paul Eels and Lord Nutt to make something happen. Gus is making stuff happen instead of bitting his nails and praying for something to happen. Next, how can you worthless old bastards dog on Mustain for not being up to par when he threw the game winning Touchdown!!! The difference b/w a Limp QB and a stud is he finds a way to win. Oh by the way, I'm not a hugger nor a darksider. I just tell it like it is!

pigture perfect

Quote from: HatfieldHog on September 23, 2006, 10:43:40 pm

We Won!           See ya
This is the gospel.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

cardinalhawg

Quote from: football17 on September 23, 2006, 11:04:52 pm
this discussion is ridiculous... Gus just coached in his FOURTH college game EVER... he has a giddy head coach breathing down his neck and a true freshman at QB... will everyone just give Gus some time, geeze... absoultely ridiculous to be bashing Gus at this point....

I believe in giving him time as well, along with having some patience with Mustain, but that does not mean they can't be questioned for playcalling and performance.  Just because some are critical does not mean they are ready to throw Malzahn and Mustain out the door, just as giving credit to Nutt doesn't mean that a poster is completely happy with Nutt either.  It seems there are too many extremes, where one is criticized for being critical of Malzahn or Mustain, or is criticized for giving Nutt in credit.  Nothing in moderation I guess.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 10:57:41 pm
Did I say I could coach better? Nope. But I know mediocre success when I see it.

Is mediocre success an oxymoron?...

Crappy success, mediocre success, or successful succcess--I'm just happy to have some success after the past two seasons. We're 3-1--we aren't Ohio State or USC, but we're 3-1.

Inigo Montoya

H&D

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 11:15:07 pm

He is also likely not our best option at QB, and that is our biggest problem. I believe Dick would have done much better. Mitch can grow on the bench like Booty did.

WOW you sound like a great judge of talent, Casey is better than Mitch LMAO, just LMAO
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: HawgsandDawgs on September 24, 2006, 01:23:13 am
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 11:15:07 pm

WOW you sound like a great judge of talent, Casey is better than Mitch LMAO, just LMAO

As of today, yes - I believe Dick is a better QB. Mitch may be more talented, but he is not there yet. I believe Dick is based upon last year's performance.