Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Malzahn ever get it done?

Started by Adam Stokes, September 23, 2006, 04:20:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Stokes

People have been complaining about our defense, but it looks to me that it is our offense that has truly been struggling.  Gus has done a horrible job calling plays, and needs to discipline our guys so they get less penalties.  Three points at half?  Twenty points against Utah State?  I think someone is a little over rated.  Our offense has not been getting it done.  Anyone with the best QB out of high school and the best RB tandem in the nation should be able to average better than 20 points a game. 

Albert Einswine

In the first quarter in the red zone,  those runs on first and second down were pure Nutt.  I suspect that the whole game is Nutt.   Gus's formations,  but Dale says when to call a run and when to call a pass.  This doesn't seem like Gus's rhythm.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Adam Stokes

Of course you suspect Nutt.  If the offense ever messes up you blame Nutt, even when Gus calls the plays.  If Gus has full control of the offense he'd say screw nutt and run his own offense.  Does that mean Gus has not called out of the I-formation all year?  It is Gus's offense from here on out and he is responsible for the success/failures of it.  If he can't get it done send him back to high school.

ThisTeetsTaken

Gus is having to overhaul the offense on the fly.  With this offense, it's like trying to teach a one legged man the two-step.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Albert Einswine

Quote from: ajs15razorman on September 23, 2006, 04:25:15 pm
  Of course you suspect Nutt.  If the offense ever messes up you blame Nutt, even when Gus calls the plays.  If Gus has full control of the offense he'd say screw nutt and run his own offense.  Does that mean Gus has not called out of the I-formation all year?  It is Gus's offense from here on out and he is responsible for the success/failures of it.  If he can't get it done send him back to high school.

Listen sonny boy,  I've been watching Nutt crawl into his shell since you were 8 years old.  All responsibility falls on the guy in charge and our man Dale is a natural meddler so anything bad that happens is especially his responsibility.

Nevertheless,  I'm happy we won no matter how much unbelievable luck it took for us to win.

Woooooooo Pig Soooooooooooooooooie!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

football17

Gus is an offensive genius... give him time and he will make a name for himself across college football.. it's just a matter of time.

Cavehog

I'll take Gus in his infancy over HDN in his "prime" anyday.
If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.

Stamford Hog

That tight end in slow motion parallel to the line of scrimmage with the stretch play is pure Nutt.  Not sure how many times I saw it tonight, but it was several.  I cringe every time I see that formation because I know exactly what is about to happen.  Usually a run for 2 yards.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 23, 2006, 04:23:01 pm
In the first quarter in the red zone,  those runs on first and second down were pure Nutt.  I suspect that the whole game is Nutt.   Gus's formations,  but Dale says when to call a run and when to call a pass.  This doesn't seem like Gus's rhythm.
We looked like we were running Gus' offense as seen by Houston Dale.  Spread formation, but running plays mixed with screens and passes in the flat.  Very conservative even if it was the spread offense.

PigPusher

September 23, 2006, 07:49:26 pm #9 Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 08:38:06 pm by PigPusher
Quote from: ajs15razorman on September 23, 2006, 04:20:01 pm
  People have been complaining about our defense, but it looks to me that it is our offense that has truly been struggling.  Gus has done a horrible job calling plays, and needs to discipline our guys so they get less penalties.  Three points at half?  Twenty points against Utah State?  I think someone is a little over rated.  Our offense has not been getting it done.  Anyone with the best QB out of high school and the best RB tandem in the nation should be able to average better than 20 points a game. 

Yes!!
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Dugann

This is a very sad thread... i mean my gosh
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Cavehog

I think GM has shown remarkable patience with HDN thus far in the season.  Bringing him around slowly, getting him used to winning on the road, winning close games, throwing the ball on first down.  Let's be patient folks HDN has a long way to go, give him some time.
If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.

PigPusher

Quote from: Cavehog on September 23, 2006, 07:52:57 pm
I think GM has shown remarkable patience with HDN thus far in the season.  Bringing him around slowly, getting him used to winning on the road, winning close games, throwing the ball on first down.  Let's be patient folks HDN has a long way to go, give him some time.

Reads like one of Jay Leno's bombers.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

HogFaninGA

I hope you are as hard on Nutt as you are on Gus.  Gus has been here less than a year and Nutt has been it what? 8+ years.  Give me a break.

PigKahuna

Anyone who thinks Malzahn isn't calling plays just refuses to believe it out of stubborness.  There is no proof whatsoever to the contrary.

quest4excellence

I must be going crazy!  Can't we like both Nutt and Malzahn?  Malzahn is calling the plays, its will take a little more then 3 weeks for the players to take it all in.  I'm so tired of people hinting of a conspiracy.  "Nutt is calling plays out of Malzahn's formation"  That is absolutely crazy.

Word to ya motha! -Vanilla Ice

BlackKnightHogFan

Do you watch football?  Did you see the Georgia game.  They have struggled all year on offense, since they started their Freshman Phenom.  Today they almost lost to Colorado at HOME!!!  Mitch struggled all game and yet we pulled out a win with a much stronger opponent.  When it counted Mitch and Gus' offense pulled through.  Maybe you should post less and read more!
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Member #:  9524

hog caller

did you notice Nutt on the sideline facing Gus and telling him what plays to run. we are fooling ourselves to think he will turn Gus loose.

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: hog caller on September 23, 2006, 08:03:25 pm
did you notice Nutt on the sideline facing Gus and telling him what plays to run. we are fooling ourselves to think he will turn Gus loose.

Yes but when it counted Nutt ran Gus' plays.  I don't see how you can watch the touchdown pass and say that was Nutts' offense.  We would have not won that game if Nutt was calling the plays...don't you agree?
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

HogFaninGA

Gus might be calling the plays, but he is from a limited playbook.

Cavehog

No way Nutt called that last pass.  Without GM we're 1-3 and playing with an interim coach.

strawhog

Quote from: Cavehog on September 23, 2006, 08:10:59 pm
No way Nutt called that last pass.  Without GM we're 1-3 and playing with an interim coach.
You better listen to my man cavehog he knows what he's talking about

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: HogFaninGA on September 23, 2006, 08:09:15 pm
Gus is calling the plays, if by "calling the plays" you mean physically relaying them in.  Dale is utilizing his "Ultimate Veto" early and often.  As stated above, todays O looked like what Dale would imaging Gus' O to look like.  There were moments, like the OT TD that looked like real spread football, but by and large, it looked like the "I" run from the spread.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

September 23, 2006, 08:12:50 pm #23 Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 09:34:55 am by notshavintilnuttgo

Sorry..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

HogFaninGA

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 23, 2006, 08:12:32 pm
Quote from: HogFaninGA on September 23, 2006, 08:09:15 pm
Gus is calling the plays, if by "calling the plays" you mean physically relaying them in.  Dale is utilizing his "Ultimate Veto" early and often.  As stated above, todays O looked like what Dale would imaging Gus' O to look like.  There were moments, like the OT TD that looked like real spread football, but by and large, it looked like the "I" run from the spread.

I agree Hong kong--we are on the same page

leggman131652002

If Gus is as smart as u guys think he is ..then yes he is calling the strecth play to DMAC..that is the smart thing to do when u have the best RB in the nation!!!

pbjones81

Mitch and Gus are both in their learning curves, and theyre winning while doing so.....Thats the part that matters. 

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: Cavehog on September 23, 2006, 08:10:59 pm

Agreed!!!

Tomhog™

Changing offensive philosophies takes time.  This year is the 'feel around' year for Gus.  Urban didn't have great success at Florida with the transition.  I expected struggles on offense.  Just didn't expect al the defensive letdowns...

Cavehog

Quote from: razorfront on September 23, 2006, 08:26:56 pm
It doesn't really matter who called the last pass play - BC didn't run the route called -  he said that he saw the end zone open and went for it when he was supposed to do a 5 out - and MM found him - I'd say the encouragement is that those boys will eventually figure out how to do it regardless of what's called

So kids right out of HIGH SCHOOL can play this game?  Then I bet a coach right out of high school could coach it!  HDN for AD . . . it's our only hope now.

Dumb ole famrboy

The strength of this team is at tailback and it goes much deeper than D-Mac and Felix Jones. All seem to have good hands receiving coming out of the backfield. Why not exploit it with a two tailback offensive set. Sort of a HUNH hybrid Veer. With the talent level of our backs - linebackers and corners would have to play both backs honest instead of keying on one. Leaving Monk, D Williams, Cleveland and crew defensed with soft zones and man coverage. A simple shift from this formation gives you a single back set. Just my rambling thought for the day.

waterhogg

The only way Malzahn wil get it done is when HDfrickinN takes his hand out of the game and starts being a cheerleader and only a cheerleader where he needs to be.

strawhog

Quote from: Cavehog on September 23, 2006, 08:31:35 pm
It doesn't really matter who called the last pass play - BC didn't run the route called -  he said that he saw the end zone open and went for it when he was supposed to do a 5 out - and MM found him - I'd say the encouragement is that those boys will eventually figure out how to do it regardless of what's called

So kids right out of HIGH SCHOOL can play this game?  Then I bet a coach right out of high school could coach it!  HDN for AD . . . it's our only hope now.
Cavehog I hope your joking about that AD crack

Hoggam's Razor

I hate it when people complain.

nwarazfan

Gus was responsible for today's offense.  Stop trying to blame Houston.  I've wanted Nutt gone for years, but this gimmick offense is on Gus.  We were successful with DMac and FJ-not the fake reverse gimmick offense.

strawhog

Quote from: waterhogg on September 23, 2006, 08:41:54 pm
The only way Malzahn wil get it done is when HDfrickinN takes his hand out of the game and starts being a cheerleader and only a cheerleader where he needs to be.
Right on brother

Hog Belly

Did ya see that game tonight? WE WON! For the love of god let it rest. Did you think his system would be like flipping a switch? Unbelievable

DickSonstreetDFW

Jeez.  We have an OC who was coaching in high school last year, and a true freshman QB.  I think GM gets a little slack this season. 

If you're concerned about discipline, please note HDN teams have ALWAYS lacked discipline, on and off the field.

nwarazfan

Quote from: DickSonstreetDFW on September 23, 2006, 08:46:38 pm

Jeez.  We have an OC who was coaching in high school last year, and a true freshman QB.  I think GM gets a little slack this season. 

If you're concerned about discipline, please note HDN teams have ALWAYS lacked discipline, on and off the field.

slack?  Coaches should come in ready to coach at this level.  It isn't the Southland Conference. 

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: football17 on September 23, 2006, 07:41:18 pm
Gus is an offensive genius... give him time and he will make a name for himself across college football.. it's just a matter of time.

Show me proof where he has been successful on the college level?

football17

Quote from: nwarazfan on September 23, 2006, 08:47:36 pm

slack?  Coaches should come in ready to coach at this level.  It isn't the Southland Conference. 

HEY NWARAZFAN...

What is it you have against GM and MM??? SOmething personal, obviously....

nwarazfan

Quote from: football17 on September 23, 2006, 08:49:10 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on September 23, 2006, 08:47:36 pm

HEY NWARAZFAN...

What is it you have against GM and MM??? SOmething personal, obviously....

Just trying to bring a little reality and balance to the board.  When someone performs poorly or well, I point it out.  No favorites here.

football17

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 08:48:43 pm

Re-read that post.. it says "in time" ...

Cavehog

Quote from: strawhog on September 23, 2006, 08:43:26 pm
Quote from: Cavehog on September 23, 2006, 08:31:35 pm

Ok, I take it back.  Bad Cavehog.

Cavehog I hope your joking about that AD crack

Cavehog

OK I take it back . . . baddddd Cavehog.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: football17 on September 23, 2006, 08:50:35 pm

Well heck, HDN will learn how to coach "in time".
Shibest will learn to coach special teams "in time"
Johnson could learn to throw a fade pass "in time"

Given an infinate number of years, HDN would win a NC. However, I am not prepared to wait that long. I wanted Nutt fired in 2002. Gus gets no favoritism from me. If he was from Waco, you would be burning effigies of him by now.

football17

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on September 23, 2006, 08:56:08 pm

Given an infinate number of years, HDN would win a NC. However, I am not prepared to wait that long. I wanted Nutt fired in 2002. Gus gets no favoritism from me. If he was from Waco, you would be burning effigies of him by now.

I agree, Nutt and Co. needs to go.. but not Gus... just wait and see...

I agree with you totally, except in your criticism of Gus... this is only his fourth college game he's ever coached in... just wait and see...

pigfoot

What's all the fuss about?  We won.
True, at times today our offense looked more like Springdale High School than a Division 1 team. But we won.
I've seen MM look bad before, and I've seen him look brilliant.  Today, he looked like what he is -- a Freshman QB.  But we won.
What difference does it really make who called the plays?  We won.
And, we won a game we probably should not have won.  But we did.
Bottom line:  We won.  Be proud.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

Cavehog

I liked how the announcers kept saying the bama quarterback had TWO springs to learn their offense and MM only had one.  Let's remember GM only had one also.  But what's HDN's excuse?  Or Reggie's?

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: football17 on September 23, 2006, 08:59:05 pm

I agree, Nutt and Co. needs to go.. but not Gus... just wait and see...

I agree with you totally, except in your criticism of Gus... this is only his fourth college game he's ever coached in... just wait and see...

I "think" you are right. But there are many on this board ready to brand him the savior when his offense is mediocre at best. Cutcliffe, meanwhile, seems to have NO PROBLEM installing his new offense in Tennessee. Nor Wittke in Arizona.