Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are poisoning the water we drink. . .

Started by Feralhog, September 21, 2006, 06:47:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Queen Hog on September 21, 2006, 07:57:57 pm
The way I see it is...you are either a HOG fan or you are not.  There are a lot of whiners  :'( on this board who profess to be HOG fans.  What happens if Nutt does get fired and we don't go 11 - 0 next year?  Does it start all over again?  Get over it.  Support the HOGS.  They are OUR team.  They need our support. 

Go HOGS~
Beat Bama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :razorback: :P
Queen, I'm sure you are a loyal Hog fan of the first water.  But, to say that I and others like me are not Hog fans because we are tired of losing, tired of mediocrity at best...well, that is just garbage.  I have tried to respectfully disagree with you over this issue before, but I'm really pretty dang tired of having my fanhood questioned because I won't just shut up and toe the company line.  I live and breathe this football team.  I bleed every time they lose.  I am embarrassed by our Head Coach, and want him replaced.  I still support the Hogs, and still spend my hard earned cash on them.  So get off your high horse and stop telling me I'm not a fan...and I won't call you out for blindly following a loser.

Pork Twain

September 21, 2006, 09:00:32 pm #101 Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 09:24:10 pm by BeoPig
Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 21, 2006, 01:06:09 pm
Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on September 21, 2006, 01:04:55 pm
Quote from: jackwalker on September 21, 2006, 12:57:17 pm
2004 was not close. Neither was 2003.

More of the series has been close than not during Nutt's tenure, though. Wins and close contests shown below. Not trying to toot any moral victory horns as a loss is a loss, but saying we couldn't beat them several years in a row doesn't make much sense. It's not like they have dominated us over the last ten years.

2005 -- 19-17 LSU
2002 -- 21-20 Ark
2001 -- 38-41 LSU
2000 -- 14-3 Ark
1998 -- 41-14 Ark

did we not play LSU in '99 or in '03 or in '04?
We play LSU EVERY year as our last SEC game since HDN cannot get us to the SECCG.  I wonder what happened at LSU around 2000 timeframe???  Did they get a new coach???  How were they before that?  How was Florida before Spurrier?  How was Georgia before Richt?  How was Aub before TT?  How has our coach done???
2005 -- 19-17 LSU (Peach Bowl)
2004 -- 43-14 LSU (Capitol One Bowl)
2003 -- 55-24 LSU (Sugar Bowl)
2002 -- 21-20 Ark (Cotton Bowl)
2001 -- 38-41 LSU (Peach Bowl)
2000 -- 14-3 Ark
1999 -- 35-10 LSU
1998 -- 41-14 Ark

Notice a trend with Alabama???  They have a bad year, they have a bowl year, they have a 10 win season.  Arkansas is mediocre for 6 years and then has two bad years.  I would like to point out to you all that Alabama and Auburn both had worse NCAA penalties in that time and look where they are compared to us.
98    7-5       Med (Music City Bowl)
99    10-3     Good (Orange Bowl)
00    3-8       Bad
01    7-5       Med (Independence Bowl)
02    10-3     Good
03    4-9       Bad
04    6-6       Med  (Music City Bowl)
05    10-2     Good (Cotton Bowl)

Until we get a coach in here that gives a Shiite about recruiting and gears his staff towards getting the best players on campus, recruiting coordinator, we will never compete in the SEC.  During his stretch of 6 mediocre bowl games how many freakin' excuses did we give HDN for not getting us to the big bowls??? 

The rest of the SEC doesn't make excuses for their coaches.  They either win or they are gone...

I have problem with posts being deleted as long as you promise to delete every thread that is started saying how great Nutt is.  He needs to prove that on the field.

Queen -- You show your mental capacity when you judge us as fans without knowing anything about any of us.  Saying that not supporting Nutt is not supporting the Hogs is just plain silly.  I don't care a lot for Judas in the Bible but I still support Christianity...  Nutt is NOT the Hogs.  He just happens to be a part of them.  I support the guys that are on the field with Hogs on their Helmets.  They are the ones giving their all for the team.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

clemensrules01

Quote from: Bogghawg on September 21, 2006, 07:42:10 am
Quote from: Feralhog on September 21, 2006, 06:47:50 am
Like Biggus posted the other day, whatever happens, happens.  One thing I've noticed among fans in the SEC is that most of them are pumpers for their team.  Spend some time on the TTFourm.com like I have and you'll see fans talking SEC Championships, and imo Bama has about as much chance winning the SEC this year as Arkansas. 

But reading that board something that should be obvious occurred to me.  At this point anything can happen. If you look at our schedule, the only seemingly invincible team in the West is Auburn, and imo we catch a HUGE break by having 2 weeks to prepare for them.   

A win Saturday could do several things, the least of which is Gus becoming more settled with himself and  and the other coaches.  Look, some of these coaches may have big egos, but Gus made some really nice calls last Saturday and you know some of his skeptics recognized those calls. 

Could hog fans be poisoning their own water?  We are looking for things to gripe about when Markuson reaching out to Gus after the game, is met with extreme skepticism.  We are looking for things to gripe about if we go ape because the staff celebrates a win over Vanderbilt.  In light of the pressure these guys were under to win, it's hard to imagine a different reaction by the coaches, and in the heat of the moment, I doubt Markuson had the forethought to take advantage of a Kodak moment, and hug Gus.

We should be happy to see signs that MM and GM are starting to show one another respect.  We should be happy the coaches are reacting to wins like they're important.  We should be happy that we are 1-0 in the SEC.  We should be happy that our schedule is favorable, even against our toughest opponent.   

We big bad Arkansas fans want to make sure the whole college football world knows that we are objective fans.  I'm starting to wonder if what's going on with our fans is objective or just stupid.  Why is it that fans from Alabama are completely alright with a 3 point win against Vanderbilt at home, and Arkansas fans moan?  Is it objectivity or could it be that Bama fans understand the SEC a bit better?

So by damn, I'm taking off my dark helmet, for now.  If the season goes into the tank, and the powers that be don’t take action, then I’m done anyway.  For now, I'm gonna give this team time to grow, the coaches a chance to come together, and hope for a hogs win against Bama on Saturday.

And one last thing.  You want to gripe about calls or what took place in the game, that's one thing,  and the stuff that's already up will be grandfathered in, but from this point on, posts just looking for stuff to bitch about will end up in the trash, at least when I'm on the board.  There's enough things to be critical of as it is.

This is the most reasonable, well articulated post on this board in months.
i agree. you have my vote for post of the month.

EastexHawg

I like Gus and think he will be a fine college coach, but if we can get a top notch head coach and he wants to bring his own offensive coordinator with him...I am willing to let Gus go.  If that is the price we pay for getting rid of Nutt and bringing in a great coach, so be it.

Oklahawg

If I read another poster trotting out win/loss records under HDN, etc., I'm going to puke. Folks, if it hasn't mattered yet what proof do you have that it will matter at some point in the near future?

I hired a new staff member last winter. It took a LONG time for us to develop a chemistry for working side-by-side and to acquire a rhthym for our teamwork. Toss the USC game out the window--it didn't matter. It was destined to be a woodshed experience regardless.

I know this about coaching:
1. At some point pride kicks in and, no matter how much resignation or defeat you feel internally, you fight like hell.
2. You never give up until the bitter end. Its not the bitter end.
3. It doesn't take much momentum to swing things, hard, in your favor. Ask Tommy Tuberville. Hell, ask Mike Dubose or Mike Shula...both of whom have benefited from fortunate timing.

There are a handful on here who are over the top: you can't bitch about the glass being half-empty AND complain about the glass not being half-full AND go postal over having too big a glass AND stink of animosity over the fact that someone else's glass is magically able to hold more than UA's glass. Pick one, focus and be the resident "guru" on that topic.

Don't be surprised: we are as likely to lay an egg Saturday as we are to piece it all together and start a big swing in momentum. As in big wins. Bama is a big-name that just might be down far enough for this bunch to step up and play opportunist. Win big and you'll likely be ranked headed to Auburn. Two weeks to learn more of the new system. Two weeks to use the momentum to recruit. Two weeks to let the slappies fade away.

Folks, 6-2 going to November is reasonable. Its rankable. It means a lot of ESPN chatter. Optimism and vindication are powerful, powerful medicines.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pork Twain

September 21, 2006, 09:29:17 pm #105 Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 09:36:29 pm by BeoPig
Quote from: Oklahawg on September 21, 2006, 09:23:12 pm
If I read another poster trotting out win/loss records under HDN, etc., I'm going to puke. Folks, if it hasn't mattered yet what proof do you have that it will matter at some point in the near future?

I hired a new staff member last winter. It took a LONG time for us to develop a chemistry for working side-by-side and to acquire a rhthym for our teamwork. Toss the USC game out the window--it didn't matter. It was destined to be a woodshed experience regardless.

I know this about coaching:
1. At some point pride kicks in and, no matter how much resignation or defeat you feel internally, you fight like hell.
2. You never give up until the bitter end. Its not the bitter end.
3. It doesn't take much momentum to swing things, hard, in your favor. Ask Tommy Tuberville. Hell, ask Mike Dubose or Mike Shula...both of whom have benefited from fortunate timing.

There are a handful on here who are over the top: you can't bitch about the glass being half-empty AND complain about the glass not being half-full AND go postal over having too big a glass AND stink of animosity over the fact that someone else's glass is magically able to hold more than UA's glass. Pick one, focus and be the resident "guru" on that topic.

Don't be surprised: we are as likely to lay an egg Saturday as we are to piece it all together and start a big swing in momentum. As in big wins. Bama is a big-name that just might be down far enough for this bunch to step up and play opportunist. Win big and you'll likely be ranked headed to Auburn. Two weeks to learn more of the new system. Two weeks to use the momentum to recruit. Two weeks to let the slappies fade away.

Folks, 6-2 going to November is reasonable. Its rankable. It means a lot of ESPN chatter. Optimism and vindication are powerful, powerful medicines.
I hope like hell you are right but 8+ year s of HDN has made me very leery of ever getting my hopes up.  I want to know what it feels like to be expected to win big games, not to feel lucky to escape with a win.

HDN needs to prove he can be a winner in the SEC on a consistent basis.  How long should it take? 

HDN's ability to win as a head coach in the SEC reminds me of a saying my dad used to have.  If it smells like shat, feels like shat and tastes like shat then it is probably shat.  For the last 8+ years his ability to win in the SEC on a consistent basis feels, smells and tastes like shat.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Corganist

September 21, 2006, 09:41:54 pm #106 Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 09:44:16 pm by Corganist
Quote from: EastexHawg on September 21, 2006, 12:13:35 pm

How many coaches has Bama had during that time? 

That is one of the differences between Alabama and us.  They expect and demand a winner.  If the coach isn't winning, and winning big, he is gone.

And yet, for all that expectation and the demand for a "winner" they've won as many games over the past 8 years as we have. And from what I can see, they're still not sure if they've found a winner in Shula.

I'm near the end of my rope with Nutt just as much as the next guy, but I'm not so sure that the problems the Arkansas program has had are because we as fans aren't demanding enough. Wins come when the right coach gets the right pieces in place at the right time....not when the fans demand them. Nutt may not be the guy to get those pieces in place, but I don't think that the level of our demand for wins is going to affect that one iota. That doesn't mean we need to be complacent by any means, but this notion that louder complaining = faster action is a little misplaced I think. Sometimes instant gratification isn't as gratifying as it could be.

pigture perfect

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 21, 2006, 12:25:14 pm
Quote from: hogfan1 on September 21, 2006, 11:46:30 am
It was further up in this thread that someone mentioned how much better AL had been than AR recently.  For last year, that was definitly true.  Their defense was great last year, but I went back and looked at the records since 98 (since  Nutt got here since that seems to be the frame of reference for most everything about how bad the hogs are).  Here are the records:

AL        AR
98    7-5       9-3
99    10-3     8-4
00    3-8       6-6
01    7-5       7-5
02    10-3     9-5
03    4-9       9-4
04    6-6       5-6
05    10-2      4-7
Total 57-41    57-40

I am amazed how close the total numbers are.  Three years AR has had a better record and 4 years AL has had a better record, with one tie.  They had two years recently (03-04) that were very similar to our last two years.  The other thing that jumps out is that they have had three 10 win seasons and we have had none.  One final note is that Nutt is 4-4 against Bama.

I don't know that there are many conclusions that can be drawn from these numbers, other than we are about equal over this period of time, and how much difference a ten win season can make for the fans following two bad years.

BTW, I'm with Ferral on the original post.   

Bama has had higher highs than the Hogs which helps fans rationalize the lower lows, especially when they are not in consecutive seasons. And, when the Tide had a low, they fired their head coach.
The lows you speak of were not losing seasons, it was scandal. i.e Dubose and Price. Frenchy left cause he couldn't handle the pressure.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

krazyt401

I said it before and I'll say it agin we need to support our coaches and our players as much as possilbe then if things don't turn out too our liking then go head hunting but not GUS'S
razorback and cowboy fan

loserhog3-7

We are hunting and have been for several years. If you want to wait til the end of this season good for you. Not me. Fire Nutt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pork Twain

Quote from: krazyt401 on September 21, 2006, 09:48:37 pm
I said it before and I'll say it agin we need to support our coaches and our players as much as possilbe then if things don't turn out too our liking then go head hunting but not GUS'S
Is eight years not enough???  Things have ot turned out to a lot of people's liking so far.

hogman64

Who says fans from Alabama are completely alright with a 3 point win over Vandy? There is about as much  animosity toward Shula in Alabama as there is Nutt in Arkansas.. not  as much but it is probably close........I dont think that 3 point win was at all "completely alright" with their fans.........there was a caller on sports rap tonight just before it went off that said he listened to an Alabama sports call in show on the internet today and he said several callers were calling in saying they hoped  they lost to Arkansas so Shula would be fired........his point to Chuck was ...... you think Arkansas fans are being negative you should listen to the Alabama fans........

Queen Hog

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 21, 2006, 08:40:10 pm
Quote from: Queen Hog on September 21, 2006, 07:57:57 pm
The way I see it is...you are either a HOG fan or you are not.  There are a lot of whiners  :'( on this board who profess to be HOG fans.  What happens if Nutt does get fired and we don't go 11 - 0 next year?  Does it start all over again?  Get over it.  Support the HOGS.  They are OUR team.  They need our support. 

Go HOGS~
Beat Bama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :razorback: :P
Queen, I'm sure you are a loyal Hog fan of the first water.  But, to say that I and others like me are not Hog fans because we are tired of losing, tired of mediocrity at best...well, that is just garbage.  I have tried to respectfully disagree with you over this issue before, but I'm really pretty dang tired of having my fanhood questioned because I won't just shut up and toe the company line.  I live and breathe this football team.  I bleed every time they lose.  I am embarrassed by our Head Coach, and want him replaced.  I still support the Hogs, and still spend my hard earned cash on them.  So get off your high horse and stop telling me I'm not a fan...and I won't call you out for blindly following a loser.

Mr. Hooey,
That's my opinion.  It's a message board.  I can't get off my high horse because I'm only 4' 11" and couldn't get on it in the first place.  Let's kiss and make up and call the Hogs, ok?

Woooooooooooooo Piiggggggggggg Soooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeee!  Razorbacks!!!!!
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller