Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are poisoning the water we drink. . .

Started by Feralhog, September 21, 2006, 06:47:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Feralhog

September 21, 2006, 06:47:50 am Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 07:06:54 am by Feralhog
Like Biggus posted the other day, whatever happens, happens.  One thing I've noticed among fans in the SEC is that most of them are pumpers for their team.  Spend some time on the TTFourm.com like I have and you'll see fans talking SEC Championships, and imo Bama has about as much chance winning the SEC this year as Arkansas. 

But reading that board something that should be obvious occurred to me.  At this point anything can happen. If you look at our schedule, the only seemingly invincible team in the West is Auburn, and imo we catch a HUGE break by having 2 weeks to prepare for them.   

A win Saturday could do several things, the least of which is Gus becoming more settled with himself and  and the other coaches.  Look, some of these coaches may have big egos, but Gus made some really nice calls last Saturday and you know some of his skeptics recognized those calls. 

Could hog fans be poisoning their own water?  We are looking for things to gripe about when Markuson reaching out to Gus after the game, is met with extreme skepticism.  We are looking for things to gripe about if we go ape because the staff celebrates a win over Vanderbilt.  In light of the pressure these guys were under to win, it's hard to imagine a different reaction by the coaches, and in the heat of the moment, I doubt Markuson had the forethought to take advantage of a Kodak moment, and hug Gus.

We should be happy to see signs that MM and GM are starting to show one another respect.  We should be happy the coaches are reacting to wins like they're important.  We should be happy that we are 1-0 in the SEC.  We should be happy that our schedule is favorable, even against our toughest opponent.   

We big bad Arkansas fans want to make sure the whole college football world knows that we are objective fans.  I'm starting to wonder if what's going on with our fans is objective or just stupid.  Why is it that fans from Alabama are completely alright with a 3 point win against Vanderbilt at home, and Arkansas fans moan?  Is it objectivity or could it be that Bama fans understand the SEC a bit better?

So by damn, I'm taking off my dark helmet, for now.  If the season goes into the tank, and the powers that be don't take action, then I'm done anyway.  For now, I'm gonna give this team time to grow, the coaches a chance to come together, and hope for a hogs win against Bama on Saturday.

And one last thing.  You want to gripe about calls or what took place in the game, that's one thing,  and the stuff that's already up will be grandfathered in, but from this point on, posts just looking for stuff to bitch about will end up in the trash, at least when I'm on the board.  There's enough things to be critical of as it is.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

MikeL

I've been saying this all along, that we should let the team work out the difficulties and see what can happen.  That made me a N-hugger at the time, but there's just no reason to post stuff like "hope we lose so we can fire Nutt".  That's just hawgwash...  I agree, that if things don't look good at the end of the season, something should be done, but we're in the season now, come out and support the Hawgs - All of 'em!   

Go Hogs!  It's SlamaBama time!

oldbooniehog

Here is why Bama fans are alright with a three-point win over Vandy and Hog fans moan and gripe about a two-pont win over Vandy.

Bama has not been as far down for as long as Arkansas.

Bama won a National Championship as late as the 1990s when Arkansas was struggling to three and four-win seasons, and losing at home to Division I-AA The Citadel.

Bama has been to and won SEC championship games since 1990.

Bama has won major televised games against nationally ranked opponents a lot more often than Arkansas has over the last few years.

Bama has beaten Florida recently, whereas Arkansas never has beaten Florida once since joining the SEC.

Alabama has finished the season ranked in the AP Top 25 9 different times since 1990. Arkansas has done it only twice.

That's why.

Bama fans are a lot more optimistic because their football history since 1990 has given them a lot more reasons to be optimistic.

Hog fans aren't evil. Hog fans aren't deluded. Hog fans aren't ignorant about football.

Hog fans are just worn out and tired with all the losing and all the excuse-making for that losing.

Hog fans are tired and frustrated, and have darned good reason to be tired and frustrated.

They are tired of the program being in such a state that a two-point road win over Vandy is seen as a huge, important, watershed victory, and not seen as just a minor bump on the road of an otherwise successful and winning season.

oldbooniehog

EastexHawg

Bama was 10-2 last year.  Arkansas was 4-7.  That may have something to do with the dispositions of the two teams' respective fans.  I also don't recall Bama losing 70-17 or 50-14 recently.  And while they have played close games with Vandy sometimes...when was the last time Vandy beat them? 

I'm having a hard time throwing in with Nutt and his coaching staff.  At the same time, I'm trying not to be too negative on the board.  I guess that's why I have found myself posting less in the last couple of weeks.

Feralhog

Quote from: oldbooniehog on September 21, 2006, 07:17:21 am
Here is why Bama fans are alright with a three-point win over Vandy and Hog fans moan and gripe about a two-pont win over Vandy.

Bama has not been as far down for as long as Arkansas.

Bama won a National Championship as late as the 1990s when Arkansas was struggling to three and four-win seasons, and losing at home to Division I-AA The Citadel.

Bama has been to and won SEC championship games since 1990.

Bama has won major televised games against nationally ranked opponents a lot more often than Arkansas has over the last few years.

Bama has beaten Florida recently, whereas Arkansas never has beaten Florida once since joining the SEC.

Alabama has finished the season ranked in the AP Top 25 9 different times since 1990. Arkansas has done it only twice.

That's why.

Bama fans are a lot more optimistic because their football history since 1990 has given them a lot more reasons to be optimistic.

Hog fans aren't evil. Hog fans aren't deluded. Hog fans aren't ignorant about football.

Hog fans are just worn out and tired with all the losing and all the excuse-making for that losing.

Hog fans are tired and frustrated, and have darned good reason to be tired and frustrated.

They are tired of the program being in such a state that a two-point road win over Vandy is seen as a huge, important, watershed victory, and not seen as just a minor bump on the road of an otherwise successful and winning season.

oldbooniehog

You think I don't already know all this stuff?  Do you understand that what you posted gets posted dozens of times daily?  The hogs are showing some signs of being a solid team.  I'll not kick them under the bus, simply because of my skepticism of Nutt.  At this point, there's not a legitimate cause for this over the top criticism, which is skeptical of things that are positive. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

EastexHawg

BTW, I am convinced that if we all decide to be good fans, support the team and its coaches no matter what, and stop voicing our displeasure and disgust...Nutt's return next year will be a sure thing.  Broyles and/or Lindsey will have the ammunition they need for another "5%" argument, and we'll be right back in the same situation next year that we are in this year...just as we are in the same situation this year as we were last year...

I have a hard time deciding to just go along with the power brokers and stop the "revolution" just when it seems that our collective voices may be finally getting through...regardless of how many times Marie Antoinette says I need to just be a good boy and eat my cake.

oldbooniehog

Here's what I know, FeralHog.

You are frustrated, too.

And your frustration is coming out right now.

And you are expressing your frustration by talking about the negative fans, and threatening to close threads that are just "looking for something to gripe about" in your opinion.

In your original post, you speculated on why Arkansas fans were being so negative.

I told you why.

But then, you respond by saying you already know all the reasons why fans are negative, and that you get told the reasons why every single day.

This frustration and fatigue is affecting every one Even you, FeralHog.

But it won't get any better at all until the Hogs show actual, real results on the field.

And that's where I'm at now.

I refuse to get excited and positive about anything related to Arkansas football until I see real, actual measurable results on the field. (And no, a two-point win over Vandy isn't what I'm talking about, either)

Too many times over the past 16 years, I've drunk the Red Kool-Aid and got excited about the potential and the promise of things to come.

And you know what? The potential was never realized, and the things didn't come.

What has come is losing seasons and 0-for-4 Octobers and stompings on national TV.

For me, it's all hype and smoke and mirrors and pie-in-the-sky until I see actual results on the field.

oldbooniehog

Michaelt

September 21, 2006, 07:39:33 am #7 Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 07:42:54 am by ballhog24
Quote from: EastexHawg on September 21, 2006, 07:26:37 am
Bama was 10-2 last year.  Arkansas was 4-7.  That may have something to do with the dispositions of the two teams' respective fans.  I also don't recall Bama losing 70-17 or 50-14 recently.  And while they have played close games with Vandy sometimes...when was the last time Vandy beat them? 

I'm having a hard time throwing in with Nutt and his coaching staff.  At the same time, I'm trying not to be too negative on the board.  I guess that's why I have found myself posting less in the last couple of weeks.
umm, who would Bama have lost 70-17 and 50-14 last year, or this year?

Middle Tenn St.
Southern Miss.
Utah State

Their best quality win was over Florida, they lose two in a row to Auburn and LSU...
with that schedule last year, 10-2 seemed like an easy skate for them....hard to compare that one.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Feralhog on September 21, 2006, 06:47:50 am
Like Biggus posted the other day, whatever happens, happens.  One thing I've noticed among fans in the SEC is that most of them are pumpers for their team.  Spend some time on the TTFourm.com like I have and you'll see fans talking SEC Championships, and imo Bama has about as much chance winning the SEC this year as Arkansas. 

But reading that board something that should be obvious occurred to me.  At this point anything can happen. If you look at our schedule, the only seemingly invincible team in the West is Auburn, and imo we catch a HUGE break by having 2 weeks to prepare for them.   

A win Saturday could do several things, the least of which is Gus becoming more settled with himself and  and the other coaches.  Look, some of these coaches may have big egos, but Gus made some really nice calls last Saturday and you know some of his skeptics recognized those calls. 

Could hog fans be poisoning their own water?  We are looking for things to gripe about when Markuson reaching out to Gus after the game, is met with extreme skepticism.  We are looking for things to gripe about if we go ape because the staff celebrates a win over Vanderbilt.  In light of the pressure these guys were under to win, it's hard to imagine a different reaction by the coaches, and in the heat of the moment, I doubt Markuson had the forethought to take advantage of a Kodak moment, and hug Gus.

We should be happy to see signs that MM and GM are starting to show one another respect.  We should be happy the coaches are reacting to wins like they're important.  We should be happy that we are 1-0 in the SEC.  We should be happy that our schedule is favorable, even against our toughest opponent.   

We big bad Arkansas fans want to make sure the whole college football world knows that we are objective fans.  I'm starting to wonder if what's going on with our fans is objective or just stupid.  Why is it that fans from Alabama are completely alright with a 3 point win against Vanderbilt at home, and Arkansas fans moan?  Is it objectivity or could it be that Bama fans understand the SEC a bit better?

So by damn, I'm taking off my dark helmet, for now.  If the season goes into the tank, and the powers that be don’t take action, then I’m done anyway.  For now, I'm gonna give this team time to grow, the coaches a chance to come together, and hope for a hogs win against Bama on Saturday.

And one last thing.  You want to gripe about calls or what took place in the game, that's one thing,  and the stuff that's already up will be grandfathered in, but from this point on, posts just looking for stuff to bitch about will end up in the trash, at least when I'm on the board.  There's enough things to be critical of as it is.

Another lecture.......Shame on you.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Bogghawg

So by damn, I'm taking off my dark helmet, for now.  If the season goes into the tank, and the powers that be don’t take action, then I’m done anyway.  For now, I'm gonna give this team time to grow, the coaches a chance to come together, and hope for a hogs win against Bama on Saturday.

This is the most reasonable, well articulated post on this board in months.
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

Pork Twain

Quote from: oldbooniehog on September 21, 2006, 07:39:00 am
Here's what I know, FeralHog.

You are frustrated, too.

And your frustration is coming out right now.

And you are expressing your frustration by talking about the negative fans, and threatening to close threads that are just "looking for something to gripe about" in your opinion.

In your original post, you speculated on why Arkansas fans were being so negative.

I told you why.

But then, you respond by saying you already know all the reasons why fans are negative, and that you get told the reasons why every single day.

This frustration and fatigue is affecting every one Even you, FeralHog.

But it won't get any better at all until the Hogs show actual, real results on the field.

And that's where I'm at now.

I refuse to get excited and positive about anything related to Arkansas football until I see real, actual measurable results on the field. (And no, a two-point win over Vandy isn't what I'm talking about, either)

Too many times over the past 16 years, I've drunk the Red Kool-Aid and got excited about the potential and the promise of things to come.

And you know what? The potential was never realized, and the things didn't come.

What has come is losing seasons and 0-for-4 Octobers and stompings on national TV.

For me, it's all hype and smoke and mirrors and pie-in-the-sky until I see actual results on the field.

oldbooniehog

And it all starts at the top. To be critical of fans because they are critical of HDN after his 8+ years of failure just doesn't make any sense to me.  You sound like my mom used to sound when I got tired of giving my dad chances to put the bottle down and be a real dad.  There comes a time that you just have to step back and look at things realistically.  HDN has not ever gotten it done at the UofA and shows no signs of getting it done.  There have been a ton of excuses made but they always lead to the same results.

Our players give all they have every game but without the proper direction it is just more of the same.  We can score points but the DC that HDN hired allows the other team to score more points.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: ballhog24 on September 21, 2006, 07:39:33 am
Quote from: EastexHawg on September 21, 2006, 07:26:37 am

umm, who would Bama have lost 70-17 and 50-14 last year, or this year?

Middle Tenn St.
Southern Miss.
Utah State

Their best quality win was over Florida, they lose two in a row to Auburn and LSU...
with that schedule last year, 10-2 seemed like an easy skate for them....hard to compare that one.
So you think the Hogs SHOULD have finished with the record they did the last couple of years???  The point is that for the most part Bama wins the games it should.  That is coaching.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

arkjay19

If you look at our schedule, the only seemingly invincible team in the West is Auburn, and imo we catch a HUGE break by having 2 weeks to prepare for them.

We had quite a few months to prepare for USC too.

But I do agree with a lot of your post.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: arkhog9 on September 21, 2006, 08:03:18 am
If you look at our schedule, the only seemingly invincible team in the West is Auburn, and imo we catch a HUGE break by having 2 weeks to prepare for them.

We had quite a few months to prepare for USC too.

But I do agree with a lot of your post.

Historically, the Hogs have not done well after an off week.  It could be very ugly.

Hawgon

September 21, 2006, 08:11:19 am #14 Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 08:25:39 am by Hawgon
It is very simple.  Arkansas fans are tired of the same crap year after year.  I refuse to be positive about any of this.

There is a very simple fix.  Change the head coach.  After that, you will probably see at least three or four years of irrational optimism by all the fans.  The biggest optimists will probably be the former darksiders.

It is not the fans' fault after nine years of this crap. 

It is really funny that after several years of alleged irrelevence that just when this board and others appear to be really bringing some heat and making a difference, we have moderators getting on here an telling us to tone it down.  I agree with whoever said that nothing will ever change if  we do that.

Feralhog

September 21, 2006, 08:12:27 am #15 Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 08:16:55 am by Feralhog
Quote from: EastexHawg on September 21, 2006, 07:36:20 am
BTW, I am convinced that if we all decide to be good fans, support the team and its coaches no matter what, and stop voicing our displeasure and disgust...Nutt's return next year will be a sure thing.  Broyles and/or Lindsey will have the ammunition they need for another "5%" argument, and we'll be right back in the same situation next year that we are in this year...just as we are in the same situation this year as we were last year...

I have a hard time deciding to just go along with the power brokers and stop the "revolution" just when it seems that our collective voices may be finally getting through...regardless of how many times Marie Antoinette says I need to just be a good boy and eat my cake.

Eastex, you know where I stand.  There's probably not many on this board that I respect more than you, and I can honestly say I can't think of one post you've made that I wasn't completely on board with. Last year you said enough was enough.   I've made up my mind that this is my all or nothing year.   

If I look at what's going on objectively, which I admit is hard, there are some positives, and ignoring some of the things that point toward a team and staff coming together serves no purpose at all.  I'm sick of my attitude where everything that happens, has me looking for the cloud's black lining.  So my approach the rest of the way is, BY CHOICE, to wipe the slate clean and polish up my hog colored glasses.  The positives are there, and it's impossible to predict with absolute certainty anything at this point, and I maintain wherever we view is with this team, right now, (be it positive or negative) it's more of a conscience choice than anything else.

Feralhog

September 21, 2006, 08:15:30 am #16 Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 08:18:15 am by Feralhog
Quote from: Hawgon on September 21, 2006, 08:11:19 am
It is very simple.  Arkansas fans are tired of the same crap year after year.  I refuse to be positive about any of this.

There is a very simple fix.  Change the head coach.  After that, you will probably see at least three or four years of irrational optimism by all the fans.  The biggest optimists will probably be the former darksiders.

It is really funny that after several years of alleged irrelevence that just when this board and others appear to be really bringing some heat and making a difference, we have moderators getting on hear an telling us to tone it down.  I agree with whoever said that nothing will ever change if  we do that.

Nobody is telling you to tone it down, but dredging up quotes that happened ten Friken years ago, just to stir the Calderon is ABSOLUTE BS!  Bitching when something good happens is absolute BS.  If this is the kind of GDAMN board you guys want, then  I'm the hell out of here.

007 License To Squeal

It is really funny that after several years of alleged irrelevence that just when this board and others appear to be really bringing some heat and making a difference, we have moderators getting on hear an telling us to tone it down.  I agree with whoever said that nothing will ever change if  we do that.

You're right.  A change at the HC level would bring ALL the fans together for years.  But, because we love our program, we keep buying tickets. I'm afraid that is all Broyles care about.
This mediocrity HAS to end.....and SOMEONE has to strike the match that lights the fire under Frank's arse.

Hawgon

Quote from: Feralhog on September 21, 2006, 08:15:30 am

Nobody is telling you to tone it down, but dredging up quotes that happened ten Friken years ago, just to stir the Calderon is ABSOLUTE BS!  Bitching when something good happens is absolute BS.  If this is the kind of GDAMN board you guys want, then  I'm the hell out of here.

Who dredged up a quote from ten years ago?  Not I, certainly.  You still don't get it.  Nothing good will happen under HDN.  It won't, it can't.  A good win will be followed by a head scratching loss and dissappointing season.  People are tired of it.  Bitching about it is the last step before most of us just give up and quit following the hogs.

Once again, the negativity is not our fault.  There is a simple cure that would excite everyone about the program again.  Agree or disagree, but don't imply that those who are tired of the same old same old and refuse to buy that same used car year after year are somehow worse fans or irrational. 

Feralhog

Quote from: Hawgon on September 21, 2006, 08:24:57 am

Who dredged up a quote from ten years ago?  Not I, certainly.  You still don't get it.  Nothing good will happen under HDN.  It won't, it can't.  A good win will be followed by a head scratching loss and dissappointing season.  People are tired of it.  Bitching about it is the last step before most of us just give up and quit following the hogs.

Once again, the negativity is not our fault.  There is a simple cure that would excite everyone about the program again.  Agree or disagree, but don't imply that those who are tired of the same old same old and refuse to buy that same used car year after year are somehow worse fans or irrational. 

Oh, I don't get it.  Yeah right.  Because I've chosen to wait and see if this team and coaches continue to jell, all the sudden I no longer get it.  Ok dokie

007 License To Squeal

Nobody is telling you to tone it down.....

Why are some people afraid to demand excellence from Nutt?  My boss certainly expects that level of performance from me.  If I was successful with only half of the projects I undertake, I'd be let loose(yes, it is spelled correctly) immediately.  I certainly wouldn't be allowed to go for 9 years at 50%.  It is well past time for action. Nutt needs to sent packing today!

HognotinMemphis

September 21, 2006, 08:34:08 am #21 Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 08:37:49 am by HoginMemphis
I can respond with a reason that Bama fans are a little more content that Hog fans seem to be this year: Bama had a 10 win season last year. Hogs haven't had a 10 win season since the '80's. And last year, they had a 7 loss year.

So, that could have something to do with Bama fans having a bit more patience and being okay with a 3 point win over Vandy for now.

On the other hand, how many head coaches has Bama had in the last 9 years? How many head coaches has Arkansas had in that time?

P.S. After posting and reading rest of the thread, I see a couple others beat me to the same point I make. Also, after the Hogs lose to Bama, Feral will be back to his normal negative on Nutt self.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hawgon

Quote from: Feralhog on September 21, 2006, 08:31:04 am

Oh, I don't get it.  Yeah right.  Because I've chosen to wait and see if this team and coaches continue to jell, all the sudden I no longer get it.  Ok dokie

They won't jell, HDN will screw it up.  I have absolute faith in that.  And by the way, what is jell?  Is the seven, eight, or nine wins or higher.  I'll go on the record and say that I want HDN fired no matter what his record is.  I will also acknowledge that if he wins nine or more that it isn't going to happen and probably shouldn't.  Just don't get on here and tell me or anyone else that this team has jelled when we win eight games because I could coach this team to eight wins with this schedule.

MikeL

Chances that changing our coach will make Arkansas a NC contender (1 of every 5 years, even) are slim to none.  We cannot realistically compete recruiting-wise against schools with the lure of Florida, with tradition like Notre Dame, with the size of Texas, or with the weather and size of California.  Heck, those schools hardly can do this on a consistent basis.  You guys are setting yourselves up if you believe bringing in a high quality proven coach is going to bring us to prominence.  

We will be the underdog in most of our big games, and that's what makes it so exciting to see us win.  It's what made the Texas game so big every year in the SWC...  All I hope for year-in-year-out is to be good enough to compete.  If we can win a big game or two, then yes, we can contend, as we did in the SWC.  However, the SEC has at least 4 Texas-type schools in an average year, beating 2/4 is a reasonable goal for us.

Does this mean I think HDN is the guy?  Probably not, but don't tell me that bringing in a proven winner will put us there, there are many more obstacles than just that.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: MikeL on September 21, 2006, 08:42:28 am
Chances that changing our coach will make Arkansas a NC contender (1 of every 5 years, even) are slim to none.  We cannot realistically compete recruiting-wise against schools with the lure of Florida, with tradition like Notre Dame, with the size of Texas, or with the weather and size of California.  Heck, those schools hardly can do this on a consistent basis.  You guys are setting yourselves up if you believe bringing in a high quality proven coach is going to bring us to prominence.  

We will be the underdog in most of our big games, and that's what makes it so exciting to see us win.  It's what made the Texas game so big every year in the SWC...  All I hope for year-in-year-out is to be good enough to compete.  If we can win a big game or two, then yes, we can contend, as we did in the SWC.  However, the SEC has at least 4 Texas-type schools in an average year, beating 2/4 is a reasonable goal for us.

Does this mean I think HDN is the guy?  Probably not, but don't tell me that bringing in a proven winner will put us there, there are many more obstacles than just that.

I think your expectations are too low.

Feralhog

September 21, 2006, 08:49:30 am #26 Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 08:54:59 am by Feralhog
Quote from: Hawgon on September 21, 2006, 08:34:12 am
Quote from: Feralhog on September 21, 2006, 08:31:04 am

They won't jell, HDN will screw it up.  I have absolute faith in that.  And by the way, what is jell?  Is the seven, eight, or nine wins or higher.  I'll go on the record and say that I want HDN fired no matter what his record is.  I will also acknowledge that if he wins nine or more that it isn't going to happen and probably shouldn't.  Just don't get on here and tell me or anyone else that this team has jelled when we win eight games because I could coach this team to eight wins with this schedule.

That was my attitude before.  But I'll not ignore Shiite that seems to point in a positive direction.  I can choose to believe what happened between MM and GM was for the cameras or I can choose to believe that maybe some of the nice calls that Gus is making is starting to earn him some respect from other assistants.

I could give a rats ass what our record is this year.  I will give some wiggle room as far as Gus implementing his offense by stages, but by seasons end, I need to be convinced that Gus is in complete control of the offense, if he's not, the only way Nutt stays is if we win the SEC or go to a BCS bowl.  That is my criteria.

ClubChubby

Gotta keep up the pressure or things will never change. Recent history has proven that.

Inigo Montoya

If it makes everyone feel better I have noticed (and maybe others have to) that Hogville is a lot less negative right now than this same time last year.  That's gotta say something right?

Feralhog

Quote from: Inigo Montoya on September 21, 2006, 08:54:16 am
If it makes everyone feel better I have noticed (and maybe others have to) that Hogville is a lot less negative right now than this same time last year.  That's gotta say something right?

Of course Hogville was a pro Nutt board up until this time last year as well.  Maybe the rest of these frikers don't get the humor but I did.

Jam

Interesting prose, you obivously admit he has done something good....
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

SwinedMelon

some of you need to let go of your hate and realize that your passion to get rid of Nutt has overshaddowed your love of the Hogs... some of you have been drinking the kool-aid of other posters here on the ville... some of you are just not openminded... these are not good things. I commend Feral for having an open mind.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

Feralhog

Quote from: MikeL on September 21, 2006, 08:42:28 am

This is the kind of stuff that drives me up a friken wall.  Why the hell would anyone support a team believing it's impossible for them to be successful?  This to me is like playing golf after 8 years and still not being able to break 130.  Find something else to fill up your leisure.

gohogs3218

I think it is a sad day when the media has to report that our coaches "hugged" after a game. I don't want to hear all the personal feelings and emotional responses from our coaches. "My dad and Paul made the wind change." I want to hear about the actual game what we did well- what we are going to do to get better. Guess what? I am a girl and I want us to be tough and competitive on all levels of football. We need a new head coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: russellclaude on September 21, 2006, 09:01:03 am
some of you need to let go of your hate and realize that your passion to get rid of Nutt has overshaddowed your love of the Hogs... some of you have been drinking the kool-aid of other posters here on the ville... some of you are just not openminded... these are not good things. I commend Feral for having an open mind.

I think you are wrong.  My love of the PROGRAM overshadows my love for Nutt.  He's had 8 years.....It's time for change.

Feralhog

September 21, 2006, 09:05:20 am #35 Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 09:10:36 am by Feralhog
Quote from: gohogs3218 on September 21, 2006, 09:02:39 am
I think it is a sad day when the media has to report that our coaches "hugged" after a game. I don't want to hear all the personal feelings and emotional responses from our coaches. "My dad and Paul made the wind change." I want to hear about the actual game what we did well- what we are going to do to get better. Guess what? I am a girl and I want us to be tough and competitive on all levels of football. We need a new head coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't argue with this.  I agree.  But some of it is the media.  Sure the Nutt quote is just batty, but MM pulling Gus aside with a hug is hopefully a sign that Gus is earning some respect.   It's all about Gus for me right now, and my rationale is probably skewed a bit because of all my cynicism, but my hope is the staff will learn to trust Gus and and we reach a point that his input will be leaned upon very heavily.

MikeL

Quote from: Feralhog on September 21, 2006, 09:01:31 am

This is the kind of stuff that drives me up a friken wall.  Why the hell would anyone support a team believing it's impossible for them to be successful?  This to me is like playing golf after 8 years and still not being able to break 130.  Find something else to fill up your leisure.

It's called reality, folks.  You want to be the top team in the nation?  There's a LOT more to do than just get a good coach.  You have to be able to recruit the best players, which means you have to compete for them where they are - Texas, Lousiana, California, Florida, Georgia, and yes, sometimes even Arkansas.  

However, if I shoot a 130 in golf EVERY time I go out, but I have a lot of fun doing it, why do you care if I'm no good and why shouldn't I continue to do it?  

The UofA has a high handicap that one good coach and his staff are not going to be able to fix.  Even so, I love watching them play and I root for them to win.  We ARE the underdog, tell me the last time that we weren't against a top 10 team.  Tell me when the last time we were consistently in the top 10.  

If you set your expectations for this and we don't achieve it, you will never be happy.  Why would YOU want to participate in anything you are not having fun doing?  That is a better question.

Feralhog

Quote from: MikeL on September 21, 2006, 09:12:05 am
Quote from: Feralhog on September 21, 2006, 09:01:31 am

It's called reality, folks.  You want to be the top team in the nation?  There's a LOT more to do than just get a good coach.  You have to be able to recruit the best players, which means you have to compete for them where they are - Texas, Lousiana, California, Florida, Georgia, and yes, sometimes even Arkansas.  

However, if I shoot a 130 in golf EVERY time I go out, but I have a lot of fun doing it, why do you care if I'm no good and why shouldn't I continue to do it?  

The UofA has a high handicap that one good coach and his staff are not going to be able to fix.  Even so, I love watching them play and I root for them to win.  We ARE the underdog, tell me the last time that we weren't against a top 10 team.  Tell me when the last time we were consistently in the top 10.  

If you set your expectations for this and we don't achieve it, you will never be happy.  Why would YOU want to participate in anything you are not having fun doing?  That is a better question.

That's the difference between you and me.  It's not a social affair for me, and by God if you can recruit with a blue friken field and get a top twenty team, it proves the so called handicap you so eagerly embrace, is friken garbage.

ComeonHogs!!!

Negativism! it is so hard to quit. but you are right feral, Looking with hate at every turn is not healthy. I will stand back and let the team work it out on the field. this week and in two weeks against auburn should tell us all we need to know. I can wait until then.

WPS
State Pride!!!

MikeL

Quote from: Feralhog on September 21, 2006, 09:15:00 am
That's the difference between you and me.  It's not a social affair for me, and by God if you can recruit with a blue friken field and get a top twenty team, it proves the so called handicap you so eagerly embrace, is friken garbage.

Yes, and how consistently do we see that blue-field team in the top 20?  That's my point.  We can be good, and possibly even the best, just not consistently.  We do not have that type of lure for potential all-americans.  Would I love for them to be in the top 10 consistently?  Of course, my point, if you read it, is that in my lifetime, we have never been that consistent and have not shown any signs of getting there.  Expecting a coaching staff change, without other things changing as well, to bring our program to prominence, is unrealistic.  

Come up with some other changes that can actually get our program to the top in addition to just the coaching staff.  But if you're seeking one good year from the next coach who may be able to get us into a BCS game, then back to where we are now, I guess you should make that point more clearly.

williamsB

this is called eating your own. Who needs outside enemies when they can just watch as we gnaw on each other

TulsaFan

I'm with you for once, Feral.  Your original thoughts are what I've been trying to put into words to post. +1

MikeL

Quote from: williamsB on September 21, 2006, 09:21:53 am
this is called eating your own. Who needs outside enemies when they can just watch as we gnaw on each other

Actually, I agreed with Feralhog in the original post, he just didn't like my other post.  That's ok, I don't expect everyone to agree with me.  I present my side, that's all I can do.  

I'm a die-hard hog fan and want them to win the NC.  We can't do that tearing at the coaches in the midst of the season, but I believe it has lit a fire under them.  We'll see how good we really are this season and we can make some "recommendations" to the hill after that is all said and done, they are listening.

PulledPork

Feral,
In essence, I agree with you.  But I also compare this to, eating at a restaurant and everything is okay, except your steak.  The waiter was quick and responsive, the house salad was divine and the free appetizers were scrumptious and hit the spot!  But, damn it!  If only that steak wasn't burnt way beyond recognition......

Pulled out...

Con el Cerdos

Feral, I don't really know the board rules for admins, etc.  I've read your posts for awhile and certainly respect what you bring.  So, if you say you can delet a post just because YOU don't like it then so be it.

But let me remind you of another BB post sticked to the top of this board right now.  Paraphrased:  About how the two pay boards generally dictate the tone and content of their boards, and also how this board would never be a panderer or adhere to that type of behavior.  Well. . . . Which is it?

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: russellclaude on September 21, 2006, 09:01:03 am

And some of us just remember five or six of the last 8 years and believe enough is enough.  Personally, I don't have to read any of the boards, the milk-toasts, the really vile ones, nor this one to form an opinion. 

I basically look at the results and under Nutt the on-filed performance and recruiting have been average to less than for most of his tenure.

Tusks

The reality is HDN hasn't finished ranked in the top 25 in 6 years.

I've got to take exception to posters that jump the Hogs from their current situation to national contender in one season.

I don't think that's what fans are looking for, at least not this one.  But there is NO REASON in the world that the Hogs shouldn't be a TOP 25 PROGRAM and finish in the top 25 5 out of 6 season or 6 our of 7.  I'll even hold back wanting a BCS bowl game.  Just finished RANKED not RANK and the fans would feel better.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

roothog

Feralhog that was one fine post. I was beginning to feel as though I was the only one who felt this way. I am new to this format of dialog and joined thinking that it would be a chance to discuss all things Razorback, once I began reading these posts I started to think this is not what I signed up for. I do not wear crimson colored glasses and have been disappointed with our past two seasons, but I truly believe great things can happen with the staff we have in place.

Two things have happened to contribute to the lack of quality depth we now face.
1. Negative recruiting due to the possibility of probation. If you are a recruit and have Spurrier, Fulmer, Meyer ...etc sitting in your living room asking you why would you choose Arkansas when they may be headed for probation, where would you go?
2.Actual lose of scholarships due to recruiting violations.

We are already behind the eight ball as far as recruiting goes we don't need any negativity surrounding our program to further hinder our efforts.

Two more points:
1.Second year DC, it takes a little time to install any system and bring in the players you need to run your system.
2.First year OC, right man for the job. Just needs time to earn respect and trust among peers.

I don't know exactly where I stand as far as HDN goes, but I believe we have to see where he and the new coaches can take us. I know how most of you feel due to the last few years but he didn't have the coaches he has now.
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIIEEE

krack1925

Is there are reason that fans are SO bitter this year.  I think we have the right to be.  Why are we So vocal?  It works.  You think MM would be the starter if the fans hadn't booed like crazy at the first game??  Hell, no.  We would have went 6 or 7 games then burned MM red shirt just like last year.  The reason Nutt looked so bad after that game is cause he knows JFB will not stand by and let the fans boo at every game.  I think Bama and Us are pretty even.  I worry that we might not match up well against them but I THINK we will.  If we lose, the fans will boo like crazy again.  Yeah, Frank has us by the short curlys and none of us will give up our tickets but we can boo the living hell out of the crap we see on the field. 

This is where someone tells me I shouldn't boo.  Normally I don't; I laugh at everyone else booing.  Thing is, what else can we do?  If the powers that be won't listen any other way then thekids will get booed and that sucks but I hope they keep in mind that we are not booing them. 

I wish there was a better way, but that is all we have.  We rumble the stands with our disapproval.  What else can we do?

Hawgon

Quote from: roothog on September 21, 2006, 09:47:41 am
Feralhog that was one fine post. I was beginning to feel as though I was the only one who felt this way. I am new to this format of dialog and joined thinking that it would be a chance to discuss all things Razorback, once I began reading these posts I started to think this is not what I signed up for. I do not wear crimson colored glasses and have been disappointed with our past two seasons, but I truly believe great things can happen with the staff we have in place.

Two things have happened to contribute to the lack of quality depth we now face.
1. Negative recruiting due to the possibility of probation. If you are a recruit and have Spurrier, Fulmer, Meyer ...etc sitting in your living room asking you why would you choose Arkansas when they may be headed for probation, where would you go?
2.Actual lose of scholarships due to recruiting violations.

We are already behind the eight ball as far as recruiting goes we don't need any negativity surrounding our program to further hinder our efforts.

Two more points:
1.Second year DC, it takes a little time to install any system and bring in the players you need to run your system.
2.First year OC, right man for the job. Just needs time to earn respect and trust among peers.

I don't know exactly where I stand as far as HDN goes, but I believe we have to see where he and the new coaches can take us. I know how most of you feel due to the last few years but he didn't have the coaches he has now.

You forgot to mention:

3.  Incredibly poor planning regarding the recruitment of positions and numbers of types of players;

4.  Lazy recruiting in that we don't contact the players often enough and get in on them too late;

5.  Amateurish recruiting in that Arkansas will send out recruiting materials that are Xeroxed while other schools send out glossy and professional looking pre-packaged recruiting materials designed to show off the best about the school, program, and area;

6.  Scared recruiting in that Arkansas does not pursue highly ranked recruits and try to compete against the big boys unless the recruit happens to be from Arkansas; and

7.   Doing an incredibly poor job of maintaining good relations with high school coaches in the state and in the region, to the point that some schools are "closed" to HDN and his staff as far as recruiting goes.