Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vandy at +6.5

Started by _Collin1, September 12, 2006, 11:17:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on September 12, 2006, 01:57:24 pm
Quote from: superhogfan on September 12, 2006, 01:50:05 pm
Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on September 12, 2006, 01:47:53 pm
Superhogfan, I know where you are coming from. BUT, I think this years Vandy defense is light years better than last years. Their offense isn't nearly as bad as everyone thinks as well. Our defense has yet to show they can stop a team 3 and out.
This will be a dog fight if we don't come to play.

I still think we win 28-17.

I have not heard of any offensive weapons Vandy has, are they under the radar?

Against Bama
Chris Nickson 15-23 140 yards passing, 11 carries 40 yards rushing. Probably the best offensive weapon they have. He threw two interceptions or Vandy would have beaten Bama. Considering our defense has yet to cause a TO I think we could be in trouble if we don't contain this guy. Note - Bama's defense looked like a normal Joe Kines defense, very good.

Conway, if this guy is Vandys best weapon and only rushed for 40 yards and passed
for just 140 yards Vandys in trouble.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TOM "tbw1"

Guv,

Have you happened to watch either of Vandy's games?

Their defense is what is worrying people on this board, not their offense.  Keep in mind this is Arkansas's first road trip, it is at 11:30 in the morning.  We are still trying to hybrid two offenses that don't click well together.  We have an offensive coordinator who is being asked to do something he has stated in the past won't work.  No one is mentioning Vandy's offense.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 12, 2006, 02:06:22 pm
Quote from: tbw1 on September 12, 2006, 01:42:46 pm
I would suggest to those who think turnovers made the difference that they go back and chart the game.  See what USC did on first and second down on a consistent basis that showed they were stronger and more well coached than Arkansas.  Then compare what Arkansas did to show they were stronger and more well coached than USC.

Don't just be an observer, become a student of the game

I suggest that you go watch the USC-Arkansas game film. Every time the Hogs turned
the ball over they had been moving the ball well just before (with the exception of MMs interception). I don't believe the Hogs would have won the game without the turnovers, but it would have been MUCH, MUCH CLOSER.

Are you saying that our defense would have stopped USC on longer drives?  This is the same defense that Utah State kept on the field the entire ball game.

It is not USC's fault that they did not have far to go on their scoring drives.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

artyhog

Many people posted on this board last week that they did not expect the Hogs to do many new things on offense against Utah St..  I was one that hoped that they would use as much as possible to get the Hogs ready for SEC play.  I was in the miniority.  The Hogs did enough to win.

So now, poster are upset that the Hogs did not use more of their playbook.  Vandy will not know which team to scheme against.  Utah St had a Jr QB who did a fair job against the Hogs.  Vandy has a new QB.  The Hogs will give him fits this weekend.

I expect the Hogs to win going away.

darkhogfan

Quote from: tbw1 on September 12, 2006, 02:20:03 pm
Quote from: GUVHOG on September 12, 2006, 02:06:22 pm
Quote from: tbw1 on September 12, 2006, 01:42:46 pm
I would suggest to those who think turnovers made the difference that they go back and chart the game.  See what USC did on first and second down on a consistent basis that showed they were stronger and more well coached than Arkansas.  Then compare what Arkansas did to show they were stronger and more well coached than USC.

Don't just be an observer, become a student of the game

I suggest that you go watch the USC-Arkansas game film. Every time the Hogs turned
the ball over they had been moving the ball well just before (with the exception of MMs interception). I don't believe the Hogs would have won the game without the turnovers, but it would have been MUCH, MUCH CLOSER.

Are you saying that our defense would have stopped USC on longer drives?  This is the same defense that Utah State kept on the field the entire ball game.

It is not USC's fault that they did not have far to go on their scoring drives.

I'm gonna agree with you that the Tos really weren't that big of a factor in the outcome of this game.  However, I do think they could've made the score more respectable.  Our defense did stand tall a few times in the first half, I think all but 3 points were scored because of turnovers. Take away one turnover.   Let's just say we hold them one time and take away a filed goal, and knowing we can't kick a field goal get a TD.  Even with a romp like they had in the second half the final score would've been 47-21.
"She had a weakness for writers...and I was never that good with words anyways"-Ben Nichols

ProfusionalHog

Ranked 117 in Turnover Margin.  Woo pig!

Conway Cool Daddy

You guys are overlooking the fact that we are indeed good at something.
We are currently excelling at sucking.

We're  #1, We're #1!!!!

darkhogfan

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 12, 2006, 01:38:27 pm
Quote from: BigC51 on September 12, 2006, 01:33:12 pm
Quote from: superhogfan on September 12, 2006, 01:30:13 pm
Guys there are 3 factors that you are not taking into account.

1)Jay Cutler will not be playing.  How Vandy got a QB like that I'll never know.  He was very good and thus made their offense a thousand times better.  

2)D-mac is playing and not D'Arrius Howard.

3)Mitch is our Qb.

We are a different team, at least a little a better than last year.  They are a lot worse.  That equals a win for the Hogs.  

And logic has led you to our other results? 

*USC lost a ton of players to the NFL
*They lost 85% of their touchdowns
*Their secondary is weaker than last year
*The Razorbacks are returning everybody

This equals a score WAY better than 70-17.

WRONG.  How about less than 17 and almost 70.

Wrong. Turnovers wouldn,t have mattered last year. they made the difference this year.

Guv, let's be honest I know they got 31 points off turnovers, even if we took 2 TDs from USC and gave them to the Hogs they would've lost 36-28.
"She had a weakness for writers...and I was never that good with words anyways"-Ben Nichols

ProfusionalHog

And, there are TWO teams worse than us in Turnover Margin.  That's promising!

darkhogfan

Quote from: ProfusionalHog on September 12, 2006, 03:31:46 pm

You sure they're not tied with us?

ProfusionalHog

Quote from: superhogfan on September 12, 2006, 03:32:53 pm

Nope.  Could very well be tied with us.  For last place in Division I.

hawg23

i think arkansas only coverd on 4 of 11 last year..notfor sure sure tho...i dunno what to say bout that bet...i will post my picks on the general sports forum on thursday afternoon....my post for last week is still up there...went 8-2 v. the spread for the 2nd straight week..nice weekend...
"Was like a full crowd scene at the food lines"

hawg23

also...the line will move in favor of vandy..so if want to bet on vandy do so now..i think it will move to 4.5 before kickoff!
"Was like a full crowd scene at the food lines"

darkhogfan

Quote from: ProfusionalHog on September 12, 2006, 03:34:46 pm
Quote from: superhogfan on September 12, 2006, 03:32:53 pm

Nope.  Could very well be tied with us.  For last place in Division I.
I'm not even gonnna look it up.  It would be depressing to find we were tied for last.

GuvHog

September 12, 2006, 03:51:12 pm #64 Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 03:54:35 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: HoopHog on September 12, 2006, 02:57:40 pm
Quote from: GUVHOG on September 12, 2006, 01:08:12 pm
Quote from: jackwalker on September 12, 2006, 12:20:19 pm
Vandy is one of the best coached teams in the SEC. They will be ready to play.  They will give the Hogs all they can handle.

There's only ONE problem with that Jack, Vandys offense stinks as bad or worse than Miss States offense. They'll be lucky if they're even able to kick a field goal against the Hogs.

WOW.  Glad to see you researched that.  If you had researched this, you would see you are dead wrong in your assumptive assessment.

Vanderbilt
Rushing offense - 108th
Passing offense - 99th
Total offense - 114th
Scoring offense - 108th

Mississippi State
Rushing offense - 101st
Passing offense - 117th
Total offense - 119th
Scoring offense - 119th

The Bulldogs remain scoreless for the season.  Vandy has played teams with higher defensive efficiency rankings as well.  Michigan leads the Big 10 in rushing defense (4th nationally), total defense (6th nationally), turnover margins (4th nationally) and sacks (3rd nationally).  Alabama leads the SEC in rushing defense (14th nationally) and turnover margin (tied with Michigan) and rank 31st nationally on scoring defense.  Georgia grades out as well as Alabama, tied for 14th nationally in rushing defense and 5th nationally in scoring defense, but South Carolina is not as strong...ranking 73rd in rushing defense.  So, Vandy actually looks pretty good on paper!

Now here comes Reggie Herring's well oiled (cough, cough) machine.  Watch closely -

Arkansas
Rushing defense - 88
Passing efficiency defense - 54
Passing defense - 60
Total defense - 82
Scoring defense - 75
Turnover Margin - 117
Sacks - 80
Tackles for loss - 95

Where do you get that Vandys O looks good on paper? Ranking 108th in total offense
is not good, any way you shape it. As far as Bama and Michigan Defenses go, you can rank high when you don't
play anybody.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

shawfish

The tough thing about picking this game against the hogs is where your passion truly lies. In rooting your team to victory regardless of your thoughts on the HC or the program in general. The battle of the heart vs. the head so to speak. Support our piggies in all endeavors to win by as many as possible and do your homework on the other 50+ games in college football this week to earn yourself a few extra bucks for slamming beers with your friends or in big C's case to buy a new softball bat or a pack of diapers.

arkbadger

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on September 12, 2006, 11:18:31 am
Never, ever bet against or for the Hogs.
It will always break your heart.

:razorback:

Couldn't have said it better myself
You can keep that skoal baby.