Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With Burns and Ziemba both planning to visit Auburn officially

Started by hogsmaster, September 11, 2006, 11:56:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsmaster

to watch them play Georgia, does that concerns anyone that they might committ to Auburn given the mess that is currently found on the hill?

HedgeDweller

If they read the cr*p on this board, they will commit to AU.
Who wants to play for 'fans' like this?

bigguy551122

i have a feeling they might commit while they are down there this weekend. i hope im wrong
perfection is all i expect.

razor1

Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 12, 2006, 08:45:43 am
I do believe if they see this board, it definitely hurts recruiting. Maybe not in all cases, but sure can't help, that is for sure

razor1

Quote from: Tomcat on September 12, 2006, 09:27:04 am
I believe the crap that is going on up on the Hill will have a MUCH GREATER impact on their decision than a bunch of guys that have no bearing in their lives whatsoever.
I have no idea how big a role this negative board plays on recruiting, but we are being naive if we think it does not play any role at all. Doesn't matter how much, it still hurts if they read all this stuff

OKhogfan1959

We have a program that is sinking into oblivion. What we are saying is a lot better than what recruits are seeing.

311Hog

Would you as a recruit rather know the honest to god truth even if its bad, or have someone blow sunshine up your a$$ and then get somewhere to find out it was all a lie?

Personally if i was a recruit i wouldnt shy away from a rabid fanbase that wants success and i could possibly factor into making that success happen. 

The possibility of being part of a great razorback return to power would be quiet appealing to me. Especially if i was a home state boy.

Sow’sEar

I agree that this board in the last few weeks would probably have a negative effect on recruits.

311Hog

Quote from: Lulu Hog on September 12, 2006, 12:22:13 pm
I agree that this board in the last few weeks would probably have a negative effect on recruits.

know what has a negative effect on me ?

Being embarassed at home and on national tv.

The_Bionic_Pig

I think everyone on this post just became LSU fans... ;)  atleast this upcoming weekend.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

bigguy551122

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on September 12, 2006, 01:34:54 pm
I think everyone on this post just became LSU fans... ;)  atleast this upcoming weekend.

you got that right.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: 311Hog on September 12, 2006, 11:19:31 am
Would you as a recruit rather know the honest to god truth even if its bad, or have someone blow sunshine up your a$$ and then get somewhere to find out it was all a lie?

Personally if i was a recruit i wouldnt shy away from a rabid fanbase that wants success and i could possibly factor into making that success happen. 

The possibility of being part of a great razorback return to power would be quiet appealing to me. Especially if i was a home state boy.
I know if I was a recruit, I would have serious questions about going to a school that has a group of fans who post on a message board how they hope and even in one I read PRAY that they LOSE to Vanderbilt.

311Hog

Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 13, 2006, 08:22:08 am

I know if I was a recruit, I would have serious questions about going to a school that has a group of fans who post on a message board how they hope and even in one I read PRAY that they LOSE to Vanderbilt.

See the opposite would worry me, i would be extremely worried if i was a recruit and all the fans did was pump sunshine into dark places even in the face of losing seasons and ugly play.  If there werent people willing to do anything legal to win and not settle to suck i wouldnt wanna go there.

SnoopHawg

Too much negativity for sure.  Not saying it's without basis, just not the best way to handle it, or is it?

Hawgballz

Quote from: 311Hog on September 13, 2006, 08:42:56 am
Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 13, 2006, 08:22:08 am

See the opposite would worry me, i would be extremely worried if i was a recruit and all the fans did was pump sunshine into dark places even in the face of losing seasons and ugly play.  If there werent people willing to do anything legal to win and not settle to suck i wouldnt wanna go there.

Cheering against your team and hoping/praying that they lose can never be the right answer.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

brooks74

Gotta hate a program with fans that actually want to win and are tired of putting up with a mediocre coach who is turning us into a sub-mediocre program!

Tusks

Yeah I'm going to a school that hasn't won a home game in a year because their fans are so wonderful on the message boards.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

BattleHawg

Quote from: hogsmaster on September 11, 2006, 11:56:19 pm
to watch them play Georgia, does that concerns anyone that they might committ to Auburn given the mess that is currently found on the hill?

YES.

I don't think the Hogs get either.

unfortunately.

BH

bigguy551122

i will be shocked if kodi doesnt commit to auburn in the next 2 weeks.

ArkansasI

Kodi and Lee are obviously crucial recruits for the Hogs.  Simply stated, it is hard for a 17-18 year old young man to realize that the University of Arkansas is his best decision 10 years from now.  However, the fact is that these 2 are Arkansans and they will be happiest after college if they choose the Hogs.

Great football players make it to the NFL from wherever they go to college.  Scouts find players at Sonoma State just as easily as they do Notre Dame.  If football pans out, either will make it to the NFL from Arkansas or Auburn.  The better question is what can these universities offer if football doesn't work out.

There is no doubt in my mind that the University of Arkansas affords both of these young men a better opportunity than Auburn.  And we all know how great the college experience is in Fayetteville.  Choose wisely guys. . . and good luck.  I hope to see you both in Cardinal and White.

holyj04

from what i hear he wants to play qb in college. if he comes to arkansas he'll end up in the secondary or wr.

The_Bionic_Pig

September 14, 2006, 10:01:36 pm #23 Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 10:03:44 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: holyj04 on September 14, 2006, 04:36:19 pm
from what i hear he wants to play qb in college. if he comes to arkansas he'll end up in the secondary or wr.

You heard right the coaches would not put all of their eggs into one basket if they had any plans on moving him QB to any other position (Dick out of Allen, TX comes to mind) .  They want Kodi in the worst way the same way they wanted Mustain and had Mallet catching passes during his visit cause Mitch was in attendence.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pig Power

Love those Hogs

I believe the crap that is going on up on the Hill will have a MUCH GREATER impact on their decision than a bunch of guys that have no bearing in their lives whatsoever.
No bearing...You call 1000's of fans BOOING a coach or player at a Nationally televised game on ESPN has no bearing on their lives...What's to say it won't be them next time?  Fans are Fans, but Booing the players or coaches at a game when we have several top tier recruits is embarrassing to both the State of Arkansas and the University. Just plain classless.
Hogs 4 Life!

Love those Hogs

I understand peoples frustrations with the way the program has gone the last 4 years.  I am not happy either. But you don't Boo a player or coach when we have "must have" recruits at the game watching and listening to everything. IMO, that lost both of these guys for us.  Who wants to come to a place where the fans Boo coaches and/or players during a game that is out of control anyways.
Hogs 4 Life!

311Hog

Quote from: Love those Hogs on September 15, 2006, 03:07:31 pm
No bearing...You call 1000's of fans BOOING a coach or player at a Nationally televised game on ESPN has no bearing on their lives...What's to say it won't be them next time?  Fans are Fans, but Booing the players or coaches at a game when we have several top tier recruits is embarrassing to both the State of Arkansas and the University. Just plain classless.

Want to know what was more embarassing at that game then the fans booing?

The Score

Hawgballz

Quote from: 311Hog on September 15, 2006, 03:31:57 pm
Quote from: Love those Hogs on September 15, 2006, 03:07:31 pm

Want to know what was more embarassing at that game then the fans booing?

The Score

Well Michael Keck choose Mizzou over us today and has been quoted as saying that "the booing of players during his visit (at the AR/USC game) concerned him".  I am bothered that some of our fans hurt our recruiting and will turn right around and blame everything else but will not accept any responsibility for their own actions.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

mbgrulz

we gripe when the coaches dont do their job to our liking, but what the hell did we as fans do? i guarantee you the fans at a duke basketball game would be knowledgable enough to know these kinds of things are not acceptable. we cant be out there making plays, but there are things we can do, and a lot of us at fayetteville dont do it.

Love those Hogs

I guarantee you the Booing had more of an impact on recruits than the final score did.  I mean, did you really think we were gonna win that game? I was hoping it would be a little closer than it ended up, but it wasn't.  You shouldn't Boo players at a game.  You can admit your disgust on Radio shows, Hogville, or to your friends at work, but Booing a player/coach at a game with top notch recruits is a BIG no-no.
Hogs 4 Life!

cbjagman

I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that we are likely going to see those two young men next year in Fayetteville..............wearing the orange, blue and white of the AUburn Tigers. Groan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

311Hog

You see all this talk about " fans booing" and " negativity on the message boards" are all just SCAPEGOATS. Prepackaged excuses if/when a recruit decides to go elsewhere, when in fact maybe the kid just rather stay home or "gasp!" go to a winning program.

Sorry but any true prospect doesnt care if a few fans boo at another blow out, or a few people post on the boards that they are tired of losing and think its time for a change.  Kids want an opportunity to shine, and the possibility of victory they dont want to beat the miss teams and then get crushed by the real competition and call it good in the toliet bowl. 

Fans boo all the time, its when the fans stop booing and stop showing up and the program continues to spiral downward that you have to worry.

HogFaninGA

Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 12, 2006, 08:45:43 am

Don't blame the fans or this board.  Blame the coach.  He is a poor recruiter and coach.  Great HS players want to play for winning programs and who can blame them.  Nutt has destroyed our program.

hawgwash

Quote from: 311Hog on September 18, 2006, 08:50:30 am
You see all this talk about " fans booing" and " negativity on the message boards" are all just SCAPEGOATS. Prepackaged excuses if/when a recruit decides to go elsewhere, when in fact maybe the kid just rather stay home or "gasp!" go to a winning program.

Sorry but any true prospect doesnt care if a few fans boo at another blow out, or a few people post on the boards that they are tired of losing and think its time for a change.  Kids want an opportunity to shine, and the possibility of victory they dont want to beat the miss teams and then get crushed by the real competition and call it good in the toliet bowl. 

Fans boo all the time, its when the fans stop booing and stop showing up and the program continues to spiral downward that you have to worry.

Sorry 311Hog, but that doesn't wash.  True enough its easier to recruit to a winning program than a losing program.  And my guess is you can find disgruntled fans on any message board for any team, except maybe the teams that are still undefeated.  And I think the recruits know that fan complaining on a message board is part of life today.

But to say that booing a player, especially on national TV, doesn't hurt is to ignore reality.  All you have to do is read what Michael Keck said to understand what is reality.  Remember, recruiting is SELLING and like any other selling job, Perception (by the buyer) is Reality.

And don't tell me we were "booing at another blowout".  I was at the USC game.  The booing started when the offense trotted out at a change of possession.  So it wasn't like booing after three straight running plays fail to get a first down.  In that case, everyone knows the booing is for the play selection, not the running back or the offensive line.  No, the booing in this case was for Robert Johnson, plain and simple.  Some have said it was booing the coaches' decision to play Robert Johnson, not Robert Johnson himself.  Tell me how much comfort you would get at work if your customer went on national TV and said they weren't disappointed in you for handling their account poorly, they were just mad at your boss for assigning someone as sorry as you to their account in the first place.  And not that it should matter, because we should never boo our players, but it was made all the worse by the fact that Johnson had played, in my opinion, his best game as a Razorback.  It wasn't brilliant by any means, and not good enough to win that game, but he was victimized by dropped passes and fumbles and did lead one very impressive TD drive..

I am not a Nutt hugger and also am not trying to make Robert Johnson into something he isn't.  I personally felt the change to Casey Dick last year should have been made sooner than it was.  I also felt Mustain should have either started the USC game or been given a shot earlier in the game.  And the permanent change to Mustain is the right decision.  I would have liked Nutt to have pre-announced prior to the game that MM would in fact play a series or two in the first half, so that it doesn't necessarily have to mean you benched a player.

But I will not accept the argument that some fans did not boo a player on national TV.  Neither Robert Johnson nor any of our other players deserve that, short of perhaps some type of inappropriate behavior on the field.  It was classless and it has cost the program.  I don't know if Keck would have gone to Mizzou in any event, but you cannot deny he noticed it and commented negatvely on it.  I just hope it doesn't cost the program any more, and I really hope it doesn't happen again.

311Hog

You see you fail in one tragic aspect of your analiysis. And that is sure i believe that the booing on tv is negative of course it is, and sure it prolly added to the already EXISTING negativity that was apparent throughout most of that game.

Thats my point you and others are focusing in on a very SMALL segment of the Hog fan population (those that boo'd) and trying to pin the blame for losing Keck and any other future recruits ON THAT SEGMENT ALONE. Completely ignoring the fact that our program is in the toilet for the last few years, and by and large our coach is a joke nation wide along with his staff.

I mean seriously what sane person wouldnt acknowledge that booing ( and playing horrid on national TV) wouldnt reflect negatively on our program. But some people are focusing on the tree rather then the burning forest of problems.

People boo at high school games, i think we have established that 75,000 people is a good enough segment to get at least a hand full of drunk and or over zealous fans that just want what they want. But to claim that any and all lost recruits is due directly to the assumed booing of Rojo as opposed to the booing and over all discontent and FAILURE of the program as a whole is just plain insane.

hawgwash

Quote from: 311Hog on September 18, 2006, 01:06:20 pm
You see you fail in one tragic aspect of your analiysis. And that is sure i believe that the booing on tv is negative of course it is, and sure it prolly added to the already EXISTING negativity that was apparent throughout most of that game.

Thats my point you and others are focusing in on a very SMALL segment of the Hog fan population (those that boo'd) and trying to pin the blame for losing Keck and any other future recruits ON THAT SEGMENT ALONE. Completely ignoring the fact that our program is in the toilet for the last few years, and by and large our coach is a joke nation wide along with his staff.

I mean seriously what sane person wouldnt acknowledge that booing ( and playing horrid on national TV) wouldnt reflect negatively on our program. But some people are focusing on the tree rather then the burning forest of problems.

People boo at high school games, i think we have established that 75,000 people is a good enough segment to get at least a hand full of drunk and or over zealous fans that just want what they want. But to claim that any and all lost recruits is due directly to the assumed booing of Rojo as opposed to the booing and over all discontent and FAILURE of the program as a whole is just plain insane.

I should have been a little clearer.  The program is in poor shape.  And that is a huge obstacle to recruiting.  What I'm saying is there is nothing to be gained by booing your own player, and it is classless.  What I meant by saying it has cost our program is that it damages our chances to land recruits.  Its not the only factor.  (And what I've read by TRG about our lack of contact with recruits is shocking, unless there's something we're not hearing).  But it is ONE factor, and it can only be a negative factor, and its classless.  So it shouldn't happen.

So I'm not saying any and all recruits we lose are because fans booed RJ.  (And its not "assumed" they booed him, that's what happened).  I'm not even saying that was the deciding factor for Keck.  As I said, he may have picked Mizzou anyway.  But I do know we were in his final two, and Mizzou's program hasn't been much different than ours the last several years.  Its his home state, but the distance from Harrisonville MO to Fayetteville is not a lot different than to Columbia MO.  And he did comment on the booing.  Its a negative factor we didn't need.  And its classless.

311Hog

Well i left shortly after Mitch tossed that interception so i really dont know how bad it got there in terms of whom was boo'd but i do know that myself and others i was there with were not upset with Rojo at all. We were disappointed at the apparent lack of preperation by our coaching staff.

We got hoodwinked on how competitive we would be against a team that kicked our teeth in last year, and people wanted to see the future.  And maybe some were booing Rojo but it is my argument that all werent at least while i was there, and i surely wasnt upset with him he did the best he could considering how and what he was prepared for and asked to do.

Edit: also blanket statements like "booing is classess" are dangerous to me because i personally dont see a problem with booing in some instances. I didnt feel Rojo personally deserved to be boo'd and i personally dont think that was the majorities intention.

Edit Again: Sorry i just realized i had participated in hijacking this thread.  I have hope we get these guys we have a pretty good track record with instate talents staying with the hogs and both these kids could do huge things for the hogs.

hawgwash

The booing I heard happened while the offense trotted on to the field, with RJ at QB.  With all the buildup about the QB situation, starting last year and including MM's recruting and then the Casey Dick injury, and the fan's impatience to see MM, I can't draw any other conclusion than that they booed RJ.  And the booing stopped when MM entered the game.

I don't necessarily think all fan booing is classless.  For example, I think its ok to boo the other team when they come on the field, as that is sort of "expected" and its not directed at any one player.  And I think its ok to boo a call.  The refs get paid and again, its "expected".  Plus most people don't know who the refs are anyway, so I don't think they would take it personally.  And I even think its marginally ok to boo purely the coaches, when its clear that its not directed at players.  Like I said, if you think the game plan has been too conservative all night and the team runs three straight handoffs up the middle and gain 6 yards total, then I think its clear the booing is directed at the coaches and their play selection.  But when the team is coming on the field, it has to be at the players.  And all the buildup about the QB made it obvious in this case it was one player, RJ.  I just don't think it is acceptable to boo individual players at the college level unless they've done something inappropriate like giving the finger to the crowd or something.  And booing at a high school game?  I don't think I've ever seen that.

And I too apologize for hijacking the thread.  Hope we can sign both these guys.  That would be huge.