Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

About the Utah State game

Started by mikeirwin, September 10, 2006, 04:39:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jkstock04

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 10, 2006, 10:23:19 am
Phasing in the Malzahn offense as the season goes along? Then why did it appear we ran his offense 99-100% of the time against the #6 team in the country, but we go back to playing it safe against Utah freaking State? It makes no sense.

LOL...good point.  That statement shoots a pretty big hole in the "phasing in the Malzahn offense as the season goes along" theory.  I'll tell you why they want us to believe this theory, cause its just something else that gives us hope that everything is gonna be OK...just something else to keep us sheep coming to the games. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DarkVader

September 10, 2006, 10:43:58 am #51 Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 10:47:15 am by DarkVader
Quote from: BKtheKing on September 10, 2006, 10:36:47 am
Phasing in the Malzahn offense as the season goes along? Then why did it appear we ran his offense 99-100% of the time against the #6 team in the country, but we go back to playing it safe against Utah freaking State? It makes no sense.

Our program has three puppetmasters playing with the strings and things are getting knotted up. Someone needs to break out some scissors.

EXACTLY RIGHT!

Why run Gus ball against USC and the I against Blind Sisters of the Poor?

That makes no sense.

Because against USC you had a seasoned QB that wasn\\\'t talented enough to run the offense, but would keep the non-experienced errors to a minimum (here comes the flames).  Once Mustain came in the game was already beyond reach.

Mustain had his first start and no matter what everyone thinks, he\\\'s 18 years old and has got to ease into the job.  All the talent in the world isn\'t going to prepare you for the change in playing Friday nights to Saturday nights, give you the ability to read multiple Zone defenses, and outplay D-backs that run 4.3\'s and are going to be playing on Sunday nights next season.  Talent and Experience does that. 

If Mike says that Gus called the plays to ease MM into the position, and that MM isn\\\'t pissed, I believe it.  He\\\'s got no reason to lie, and the only reason everyones questioning him is because he\\\'s telling the truth, a truth that most people don\\\'t want to hear. 

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 10, 2006, 10:40:19 am

LOL...good point.  That statement shoots a pretty big hole in the "phasing in the Malzahn offense as the season goes along" theory.  I'll tell you why they want us to believe this theory, cause its just something else that gives us hope that everything is gonna be OK...just something else to keep us sheep coming to the games. 
Yeah, it HAS to be a spin.  No way they would be doing something that makes absolute good sense to win future games.  That's just absurd, huh.

*sarcasm*  ;)

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: DarkVader on September 10, 2006, 10:43:58 am
Quote from: BKtheKing on September 10, 2006, 10:36:47 am

Our program has three puppetmasters playing with the strings and things are getting knotted up. Someone needs to break out some scissors.

EXACTLY RIGHT!

Why run Gus ball against USC and the I against Blind Sisters of the Poor?

That makes no sense.

Because against USC you had a seasoned QB that wasn\\\'t talented enough to run the offense, but would keep the non-experienced errors to a minimum (here comes the flames).  Once Mustain came in the game was already beyond reach.

Mustain had his first start and no matter what everyone thinks, he\\\'s 18 years old and has got to ease into the job.  All the talent in the world isn\'t going to prepare you for the change in playing Friday nights to Saturday nights, give you the ability to read multiple Zone defenses, and outplay D-backs that run 4.3\'s and are going to be playing on Sunday nights next season.  Talent and Experience does that. 

If Mike says that Gus called the plays to ease MM into the position, and that MM isn\\\'t pissed, I believe it.  He\\\'s got no reason to lie, and the only reason everyones questioning him is because he\\\'s telling the truth, a truth that most people don\\\'t want to hear. 
You must be a very logical person.   +1 if i could.
(but what's with all the backwards /////'s?)

DarkVader

For some reason the forum is showing the \\\'s thats in the HTML to null out the single quote so its shown as text and not interpreted as code. 

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: DarkVader on September 10, 2006, 10:52:34 am
For some reason the forum is showing the \\\'s thats in the HTML to null out the single quote so its shown as text and not interpreted as code. 
ok i have no idea what you just said.  ???

upperdeck_hawg

ding ding ding....we have a winner. i do not buy the "phasing in GM's offense" when we took a step forward in the USC game and 8 steps backwards in the USU game.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Pignutx32

Quote from: ConwayKid on September 10, 2006, 09:46:23 am
Mike,
I was at the game and it did look like two different offenses.  No cohesion and it looked like Mitch could never get in  a rythm.  He missed our tight end wide open on a bootleg and never looked comfortable.
If we our offense was just wanting to break this new offense in, then why a different approach against USC.  Why did we not use both styles against them?

I brought my wife to the game and she knows a little bit about football and even she was surprised by our
lack of offense.  It just looked like our receivers and quarterbacks could not get on the same page.  Are you sure we are working toward the spread.  I see this as going backwards. If you listen to Rainwater on the 5th quarter show you could tell it was deja vu all over again for him.  I find it hard to believe we are working into Gus's offense and not working back to Dale's.  I hope you are right.

I think that is the point of phasing it in......Gus' schemes are so complex that it's hard for everyone to get on the same page.  I think we really have to give it some time.  There is no sense in screaming that the sky is falling.  Give it some time.  Gus is good.  And MM has the potential of being the best QB we've ever had.  DW could be the best WR we've ever had.  Relax....If the growing pains get too bad....take a Midol.

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on September 10, 2006, 10:54:40 am

ding ding ding....we have a winner. i do not buy the "phasing in GM's offense" when we took a step forward in the USC game and 8 steps backwards in the USU game.
you call usc game a step forward?  all i saw was confusion from a lot of players who looked like they were thinking about what they were suppose to be doing too much.

Hawg_Heaven

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 10, 2006, 10:58:43 am

you call usc game a step forward?  all i saw was confusion from a lot of players who looked like they were thinking about what they were suppose to be doing too much.

Let me guess! Nut supporter?

Mr. Hogback075

No, i don't have an agenda here to keep or fire HDN.  I'm just trying to be logical and objective and look at facts instead of posting alot of crap about how i feel.

I have never posted anything about being a nutt supporter. 

Mordekai

Thank you, Mike, for being a voice of reason amid the emotional chaos that our fan base has become.
Good reporting.

Mordekai

upperdeck_hawg

you call usc game a step forward?  all i saw was confusion from a lot of players who looked like they were thinking about what they were suppose to be doing too much.

obviously you missed mitch's first drive against usc where we ran the 2 minute offense and scored in under 2 minutes. that was GM's offense at full tilt. that is a step forward. we saw what GM's offense was going to be like when run by a qb familiar with it and able to make the correct check-offs and hit open receivers. this week was the perfect opportunity to work out some more kinks and have the other players close the gap to mitch and damien.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Hawg_Heaven

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 10, 2006, 11:08:05 am
No, i don't have an agenda here to keep or fire HDN.  I'm just trying to be logical and objective and look at facts instead of posting alot of crap about how i feel.

Well, you must be one very optimistic person. I give you credit there.

Pork Authority

I believe most you agree with me about last nights game...but sometimes actions speak louder than words..

Last night at the game, a woman acros the aisle from me was KNITTING!!!  Kinda sums our exciting team up in a NUTTshell.

dana caldwell

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on September 10, 2006, 11:09:59 am

you call usc game a step forward?  all i saw was confusion from a lot of players who looked like they were thinking about what they were suppose to be doing too much.

obviously you missed mitch's first drive against usc where we ran the 2 minute offense and scored in under 2 minutes. that was GM's offense at full tilt. that is a step forward. we saw what GM's offense was going to be like when run by a qb familiar with it and able to make the correct check-offs and hit open receivers. this week was the perfect opportunity to work out some more kinks and have the other players close the gap to mitch and damien.

um, that's called a two-minute drill. air force has one and so did hatfield and woody hayes. proves zip.

razor

To "phase something in," you have to actually perform the act that you are trying to "phase in." It looked to me like we were trying to "phase in HDN's" power running game. Mitch got a whole lot more used to that last night than he did running a wide open offense.

dana caldwell

Quote from: razor on September 10, 2006, 11:21:35 am
To "phase something in," you have to actually perform the act that you are trying to "phase in." It looked to me like we were trying to "phase in HDN's" power running game. Mitch got a whole lot more used to that last night than he did running a wide open offense.

u have good takes, razor.

Mr. Hogback075

no i saw it, and the two last night that gave us our first two scores.  i agree, very efficient.  what a lot of people are missing is the word "balance".  remember, we have possibly the best tailback in the SEC also.  We have to keep him happy and get him yards also.  Our offense will be at its best when the time is right.  and it will not be a total passing offense, it will be a good balance.
Another thing to remember is that a football season is like a poker game.  just like in poker, you don't want to give away all your "tells", we don't want to give everything away to SEC opponents when we are playing a sure win USU.  
I believe what mikeirwin reports....he wouldn't report it if he did not believe it were true.  Gus knows what he is doing and the players are behind him, so why can't we be?

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: dana caldwell on September 10, 2006, 11:18:59 am

um, that's called a two-minute drill. air force has one and so did hatfield and woody hayes. proves zip.

thanks for correcting me on the "two-minute drill" dana.  proves zip? i dare you to find footage in the last 8 years HDN's been here where we scored using the two minute drill prior to last week. thank you.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on September 10, 2006, 11:16:07 am

No actually i am too pessimistic.  I just know how to be objective.

dana caldwell

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on September 10, 2006, 11:24:50 am
Quote from: dana caldwell on September 10, 2006, 11:18:59 am

thanks for correcting me on the "two-minute drill" dana.  proves zip? i dare you to find footage in the last 8 years HDN's been here where we scored using the two minute drill prior to last week. thank you.

um, miracle on markham. ring a bell? comebacks during losses vs. UF (home and road). against MSU and UCF at home Jones' freshman season. try these for wide-open (but only under have-to circumstances like a 2-min drill): 7 OTs at ole miss and UK.

game over.

Hawg_Heaven

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 10, 2006, 11:23:00 am

no i saw it, and the two last night that gave us our first two scores.  i agree, very efficient.  what a lot of people are missing is the word "balance".  remember, we have possibly the best tailback in the SEC also.  We have to keep him happy and get him yards also.  Our offense will be at its best when the time is right.  and it will not be a total passing offense, it will be a good balance.
Another thing to remember is that a football season is like a poker game.  just like in poker, you don't want to give away all your "tells", we don't want to give everything away to SEC opponents when we are playing a sure win USU.  
I believe what mikeirwin reports....he wouldn't report it if he did not believe it were true.  Gus knows what he is doing and the players are behind him, so why can't we be?

Um, how were we balanced last night?

Hawg_Heaven

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 10, 2006, 11:25:43 am
Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on September 10, 2006, 11:16:07 am

No actually i am too pessimistic.  I just know how to be objective.

Could have fooled me.

ConwayKid

LOL....................
Mustain learning Dale's offense is not bringing him along slowly........He has run Gus's offense for years, he could do it in his sleep.  This is nothing more than back to the same old shite that HDN is comfortable with.  When people are under pressure they always try to revert to their comfort zone.  I go to almost every game, and I have never ever heard this much displeasure.  I am about to give up.

FLKeysGuy

Why is it that junior high and high school players have little difficulty adapting to Gus' HUNH offense but D1 scholarship athletes can't?  Baloney.  I see an offensive coordinator who's been given a tiny box to work within and is trying to make the best of the situation.

I have said nothing about run versus pass or I-formation versus the spread.  I am referencing our Offensive Coordinator's HURRY UP NO HUDDLE OFFENSE philosophy.  Did anyone see evidence that the philosophy the OC has written books about is being embraced?  

I would expect people to say all the right things on record.  Afterall, WINNING requires them to come together and operate within the framework they've been given.  The bigger issue is whose framework is it?  The answer is fairly obvious to me.

Now I feel the urge to vomit again. :puke:

Chuck Beavers

The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" should be our fight song. Sing along:

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

We're not slowly implementing the hurry-up no-huddle offense. We're slowly bringing the fans along to the idea that the offense is going to be the same as it was in the spring game and the same as it was last year and the year before.

We're in for some really boring, boring offense again. At least McFadden is fun to watch and Mustain will hit some down field passes, which will help now that we don't have a wide receiver playing quarterback. (Those guys sure know how to evaluate talent don't they?)

We had to get the Springdale kids or face a fan revolt. We had to hire Malzahn to get it done. Mission accomplished. Now back to what we do best. They never had any intention of going to his offense, but the fans got excited about a new way. They have to be brought back down to reality slowly and gently.

Those who claimed that Malzahn had some assurances that he would be calling the shots on offense were just wrong. Too bad. He's the offensive coordinator on a team that doesn't really have that position. His job is super recruiter and that's all. But it's going to be hard to bring those studs when they realize our idea of a "balanced offense" is to run both to the left AND to the right.

This is a big opportunity for Malzahn to break into college coaching. He's going to be a team player and do what his head coach wants. That's probably the way it should be. He's not carrying that trump card to run the offense his way. He's just a rookie assistant learning on the job.

This is the staff of a million excuses. We don't have the receivers. We don't have the line. We have to go with our strengths. Our opponents are better than we thought. It's hard to implement. We don't want to shown our opponents the offense. I laughed my head off when I heard Clay say on the pregame show that we didn't want Vandy or Alabama to see our offense. Hell, on one has seen an offense from us in six years.

I believe Hawgonit is somehow close to Mustain. From his/her posts, it appears Mustain is going for the "slow implementation" spin. Well, what else can he do? A freshman throwing a fit about the offense isn't going to help. He'll wake up some morning this winter and ask himself, "What the hell happened?" The fans are older and thought they wouldn't be fooled again. They were. The Nutt-speak from the media mouthpieces is lining up with the play on the field.

Best rushing team in the SEC! Here we come! Mississippi State better watch out!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on September 10, 2006, 11:32:50 am

I don't feel like looking up stats.  By balance i mean we ran a little no huddle. a little I formation.  Many more passing yards than usual.  and a good running game.  

dana caldwell

Quote from: KEYS on September 10, 2006, 11:36:21 am

Why is it that junior high and high school players have little difficulty adapting to Gus' HUNH offense but D1 scholarship athletes can't?  Baloney.  I see an offensive coordinator who's been given a tiny box to work within and is trying to make the best of the situation.

I have said nothing about run versus pass or I-formation versus the spread.  I am referencing our Offensive Coordinator's HURRY UP NO HUDDLE OFFENSE philosophy.  Did anyone see evidence that the philosophy the OC has written books about is being embraced?  

I would expect people to say all the right things on record.  Afterall, WINNING requires them to come together and operate within the framework they've been given.  The bigger issue is whose framework is it?  The answer is fairly obvious to me.

exactly, bro.

u know gus and MM, i believe.

how are they handling this?

razor

We were not balanced last night. We were predictable. And this stuff about "not wanting to show future opponents our whole package" is baloney. Become good at something and dare them to stop it. That's what winning teams do. And the only way to become good at something is TO DO IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

dana caldwell

September 10, 2006, 11:39:26 am #80 Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:42:55 am by dana caldwell
Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on September 10, 2006, 11:36:37 am
yes, when you lose an argument, it's best to just ban away. your knowledge of football is about as big as hdn's nutts.

no loss here. no name-calling allowed. were i still up there, i'd love to give u the opp to do it in a more personal way.

for now, i have to get back to my job of covering an NFL team. damn, if i only knew as much as u about FB.

Hawg_Heaven

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 10, 2006, 11:36:47 am
Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on September 10, 2006, 11:32:50 am

I don't feel like looking up stats.  By balance i mean we ran a little no huddle. a little I formation.  Many more passing yards than usual.  and a good running game.  

I didn't go to the game, but I swear I heard "I Formation" alot more than "Shotgun". I guarantee you that we ran a whole lot more than we passed. It was a little no huddle and alot I formation. It sounded more like last year's team.

Oklahawg

I slept a bit, but am still not pleased. However, this still seems obvious:

1. HDN typically plays conservatively vs. rent-a-wins
2. MM + DWilliams are the two starters fully comfortable with the "new" offense; most of the skilled starters will "get" most of it; the OL is the group struggling to adapt; the back-up/veteran WRs are always going to be hit-and-miss, regardless of system. Give them 80 percent of the reps on it in practice and hope it comes around while not handicapping the "old" offense that you hope the OL can run in their sleep.
3.  We (apparently) felt that we didn't need to get the OL ready for the "new" offense as much as we needed to get MM used to the "old" offense. MM HAS to be able to do that and to that well. Now, and in 10 years. That power game is something that Gus will want/need--we get up 10 on someone and need to keep the defense off the field and let the clock burn. MM needs to get that!
4. Reggie found that Norton, Love, A Davis, and W Davis can play. He needed to mix Mitchell, Wade, Sheppard, Sanders, Gray and Shavers (did he play a down?) in with the first team to see what they could do in a game. No need to risk injury to the established 1st teamers. That's why you schedule rent-a-wins. Yet more unexplanable tactics from Arena League.
5. Casey Dick needed more than a series, didn't he? Or did MM need the extra series or two (that Casey needed) more.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hawg_Heaven

Hawgback075, please read what Keys posted. Maybe that will help you see the light.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: dana caldwell on September 10, 2006, 11:39:26 am
yes, when you lose an argument, it's best to just ban away. your knowledge of football is about as big as hdn's nutts.

no loss here. no name-calling allowed. were i still up there, i'd love to give u the opp to do it in a more personal way.

for now, i have to get back to my job of covering an NFL team. damn, if i only knew as much as u about FB.

calling the miracle on markham a two minute drill is retarded and you know it, but whatever works for you. you are the expert.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

WILL CLINTON

Ding, Ding, ding, Bob we have a winner.  Jim tell Keys what he has won.

I have been wondering the same thing.  Everywhere Malzahn has gone, he has had High School kids running his offense by the time the season started.  Now, at a D-1 "major program" (I laughed a little when I typed that) he is having trouble installing it??  Something doesn't make sense up there.  I'm glad I didn't make Utah St. my 5 year old daughter's first game, I would have been pissed that I wasted money for us to see such a bullcrap game. 

I would also like to change my season prediction from 8-4 ~ 9-3 to  5-7 ~ 6-6.  If this doesn't get Houston fired, I really don't know what will.  What else can this  :puke: coach do to our program that he hasn't already done.  Oh yeah, I know the answer to that, win and move forward to the new century with a balanced offense. 

Keys, I always enjoyed reading your posts, but lately it's like we are a sharing thoughts or something.  Just remember to keep leaving food out for the little birdies.  ;)
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

dana caldwell

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on September 10, 2006, 11:45:49 am
Quote from: dana caldwell on September 10, 2006, 11:39:26 am

calling the miracle on markham a two minute drill is retarded and you know it, but whatever works for you. you are the expert.

last time i'm addressing u: arkansas took over while trailing by six with, i believe, 1:31 left. two passes, a heave to richard smith, i believe, and the lob to birmingham won that with almost no time remaining.

middleman

This at best was a moral victory for the Hogs.  I didn't see much for the future.  I hope they can put it all together soon and for the hog fans out there, if 90 percent of the players haven't learned gus' offense; what makes people think they'll be 10-2(9-3).
I think this is a learning year; an adjusting year and the hogs will be 7-5 maybe 6-6 at best.  Also Robert Johnson was suppose to help them at wide receiver now that he's moved.  Either I didn't see it or he wasn't much help.  
Please don't give me the age old excuse that Gus is not opening up the offense.  If the U of A is ever going to be a force in College football they're gonna have to develop more of a killer attitude.
Defensively, THEY ARE NASTY.  I'm not a razorback fan, but the thought that the defense will only get better should be scary for offensive coordinators in the SEC and the Country.   :-\

HamShank

If Mitch and Gus are truly happy and believe in this "phasing in" then I'll believe what's coming from THEM more than I believe my own hunch at the moment...BUT WE'RE WATCHING!!!

Chuck Beavers

Quote from: HamShank on September 10, 2006, 11:59:36 am
If Mitch and Gus are truly happy and believe in this "phasing in" then I'll believe what's coming from THEM more than I believe my own hunch at the moment...BUT WE'RE WATCHING!!!

It's the fans who are being "phased in" to reality.

Kevin

Thanks Mike I truly enjoy your work.  you tell it like you find it.  i have a problem with phase in.  did they do anything last night that looked like phasing in?

it sounded like let's go get a win, worry about vandy tomorrow. 

well, i watched vandy yesterday, we will lose playing this way against them.

i am glad we played more people on d. but NO TURNOVERS in two games. ridiculous

i think were are staring 1-4 in the face.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogphilia

Mike, thanks for the hope.

I agree, that the defense was dissapointing.  This was Utah State a team that Wyoming pushed all over the field and Wyoming is terrible.

The offense was disjointed but really showed some encouraging signs at times.  The long pass to Damian...I mean right on the money and what a catch.  The accuracy on the Monk touchdown was impressive also.  This kids arm is amazing!

I watched the sidelines and was furious watching HDN stick his head in the middle of every offensive huddle and interrupting Malzahn as he tried to talk to his troops.  And, what in the hell is HDN signalling out onto the field at the same time Malzahn is trying to get a play signalled?  Would someone PLEASE put this clown in the end zone and let him string paper clips together or knit a blanket?

Maybe Herring will keep his mouth shut now that he has some serious work to do.

hogsmaster

If Mike felt that MM and Gus are truthful about the Hogs plans to expand the offense as the season goes along, I am fine with it.  I just hope that we get better in a hurry.  While the defense hasn't played great, they haven't been bad and can play much better; however, we have struggled on offense so far, and we are not adapting to new offense fast enough to my liking.

Hogphilia

Gus may be calling the plays but I sure got tired of seeing Nutt stick his head into every offensive huddle and interrupt Gus as he tried to talk to his troops.  Again, what in the hell is Nutt trying to signal out onto the field when Gus is getting his play signalled in?

MDW

Everywhere Malzahn has gone, he has had High School kids running his offense by the time the season started. 

I don't believe this statement is true.  When Gus first began coaching Springdale, they were primarily a run-oriented team.  They evolved into what they became by last year.  Whether that was because of the talent on hand or because it took more time to catch on to the offense is up for conjecture, I suppose.

We have been told from Day 1 that the Arkansas offense would be some of Gus, some of HDN, and some of Alex.  I'm not sure it's a good mesh, but I think that's what we got last night.

Hawg_Heaven

Quote from: MDW on September 10, 2006, 12:43:06 pm

Everywhere Malzahn has gone, he has had High School kids running his offense by the time the season started. 

I don't believe this statement is true.  When Gus first began coaching Springdale, they were primarily a run-oriented team.  They evolved into what they became by last year.  Whether that was because of the talent on hand or because it took more time to catch on to the offense is up for conjecture, I suppose.

We have been told from Day 1 that the Arkansas offense would be some of Gus, some of HDN, and some of Alex.  I'm not sure it's a good mesh, but I think that's what we got last night.

I think we got most of Nutt last night.

WestMemphisHogFan

September 10, 2006, 01:04:36 pm #96 Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 01:15:59 pm by WestMemphisHogFan
Thanks Mike.  I was at the game last night.  I was disappointed in some things, but not to the point that some have been discussing.  I have said for some time that this is a swing year for me as a HDN supporter.  I believe he is a good man, but I have been questioning some things about his coaching.  I saw nothing last night that made me question him any further.  The offense made some improvements.  What's wrong with McFadden getting 184 yards?  If not for a hold, it would have been 230.  He is a legitimate heisman trophy candidate, so I have no problems with him running like he did last night.  The 72 yard run was as beautiful to me as a long bomb. 

We had a Freshmen starting his first game as QB, and of course, it was going to be kept close to the vest.  MM said that he understood that.  GM said that was the case, so what is the problem? 

The defense got pushed around more than what I thought they should have.  They are a good defensive team, and IMO, will become a great one.  They will step up to the plate next week.

I also  had the binoculaurs on the sidelines, and did not see the confusion that others have discussed.  I was looking for, but did not see it.  A case, i'm sure, of seeing what you want to on both sides of this discussion.

I was very disturbed with our place kicking.  Horrible!  I don't see much hope of improvement with what is on campus.  Last year I was nervous when we tried a field goal, this year it looks like I may nervous when we try extra points.  That shouldn't be the case in College football.

It was ugly, but it was a win.  Our freshmen QB didn't have any turnovers, and had a couple of really nice passes.  He did miss some, but that was to be expected. Yes, i wish we had seen more of GM's offense, but it is coming.

Overall, I am excited about Vandy this next week.  I will be there calling the hogs.  I for one, hope we spend more time on this board this week talking about Vandy than we do Utah State.  It happens ALL THE TIME, where teams play DOWN to their competition, especially after a big game that you have been looking forward to.  In fact it  happened yesterday. Just ask Florida State and Tennessee if that is not the case. 

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I'm having such a deja vu moment right now...

We were promised Dale would leave the offense alone.

Now we are being told that Gus is fine with bringing along his offense slowly.

Gus is a professional and acts like it, unlike Dale.

I'm not buying any of this B.S. company line...

What we were sounding alarms about in the Spring is unfolding right in front of us.

Great job, Dale, Mr. CEO coach...

If we lose Gus or Mitch or ANY of the Springdale players because of all this CRAP I will become a hardcore Tennessee fan.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Shag66

Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on September 10, 2006, 12:44:57 pm

I think we got most of Nutt last night.

MDW was right about that though HH.  Malzahn has been successful with the HUNH everywhere he has been, but when he first went to Springdale from Shiloh they didn't just walk in that first game and start tossing the ball 30 times a game. 

I trust Gus.  IF he is givin the chance to do his thing we will be happy.

Quote from: razor on September 10, 2006, 11:38:05 am
We were not balanced last night. We were predictable. And this stuff about "not wanting to show future opponents our whole package" is baloney. Become good at something and dare them to stop it. That's what winning teams do. And the only way to become good at something is TO DO IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

22 Passes - 38 Rushes

Mustain 46 plays
25 under center - 21 shotgun

The balance was fine.  It was the plays!  Too many I-Formation plays IMHO.  Gus' offense runs the ball plenty and well.  Let's see more of it!

Get off of MrHogback!  He's RIGHT!

Shag66

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on September 10, 2006, 01:06:39 pm
If we lose Gus or Mitch or ANY of the Springdale players because of all this CRAP I will become a hardcore Tennessee fan.

Orange would not go well with your complexion...  You need to pick a team with colors that complement your Wookie features!