Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

About the Utah State game

Started by mikeirwin, September 10, 2006, 04:39:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Hog

Big Daddy made some good points.  Without the taking care of the fundamentals we don't have much of a chance is the SEC even against Vandy.  A loss to Vandy and HDN is done. 

A new head coach will mean a whole new offensive system, the loss of Gus, a lot of transfers, the loss of some of next years recruits and several more "rebuilding years."  Our best hope is that HDN and Gus get on the same page and get this team going in the right direction, otherwise its going to be a long couple of years.

DeltaBoy

If we leave 18 points on the Field against Vandy we will LOSE.  HDN needs to shut up and stay out of the OC office and Let Gus do his Job.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jack The BN

September 11, 2006, 12:55:46 pm #202 Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 12:57:31 pm by Jack The BN
Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 11, 2006, 11:48:18 am
If we leave 18 points on the Field against Vandy we will LOSE.  HDN needs to shut up and stay out of the OC office and Let Gus do his Job.
So what are you guys going to do about it. Go tell HDN that if he doesn't let Gus call all the plays that Darth Vader will come down from the planet vulcan and melt his Brain?

I agree with Dr Hog, lose HDN and face more "Rebuilding Years" Considering we've been "rebuilding" since 2000. I think that's the last thing we need. I hope this phasing in thing works, but who knows.

Maybe next week we'll win by 2 points, then everyone will get on one of these threads and gripe about firring HDN some more. It's fun to read them anyway.
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 11, 2006, 08:06:31 am
Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 11, 2006, 12:47:13 am
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 11, 2006, 12:40:45 am
Quote from: razor on September 11, 2006, 12:03:17 am
If Clinkscales can rush for over a thousand yards in Gus' HUNH offense, then McFadden can too. So why would Gus implement the I formation?
Ahh, there is the rub...Gus is being forced to bastardize his offense in order to keep Houston Dale's tired, predictable playbook in the mix.  There is no, I repeat, NO reason whatsoever to go back and forth between two offenses.  And we know what HDN can do for us.

Umm...yeah, there is a reason.  But it takes a little knowledge about teaching and football to understand it though.
Care to extrapolate?  I have played football for 14 years at every level short of the NFL.  But, I bow to your superior knowledge.  I guess I wasted all of those hours in the film room.  Take a look at GOOD programs.  Did Urban Meyer run a "hybrid" offense at Florida?  How are they doing right now?  Notre Dame?  Their O was not a blend of Charlie Weiss and Tyrone Willingham...#2 in the nation year 2.  Open your eyes and pull your nose out of Houston's bum.  The view is better from up here.
LOL...sorry but you took my post the wrong way and too personally.
The point i should have took more time to explain is that there is a reason.  IMO the reason is that Nutt is scared that totally implementing the HUNH will in essance turn this year into another rebuilding year.  He knows he is on the short leash this year and cannot "buy" another year with the excuse of "we tried to emplement a new offense and didn't have all the player personel we needed". 
It's pretty evident to most that installing this new offence with the players we have now is gonna take some growing pains, and Nutt knows he cannot afford growing pains right now.  Do i think this is the right move?  long term, no.  win right now with what we got, maybe.  Like i said earlier in a post, i don't know it all.
Do not call me a hugger.  I could give a rats diick about HDN.  I just want the team to win and win now and from now on.
BTW, we don't have an Urban Meyer or Charlie Weiss.  And our talent level as a whole is WAY below Florida or ND's, so that's not a very good comparison.

OrvilleRedenporker

Gang...I've been to both games and the person who made the comment about the sideline being more entertaining than the game was right on the money.  I feel sorry for Coach Malzahn.  This week on Lincoln Financial/JP/Whatever just watch the SNAFU that is the pre-snap involvement of HDN, DNutt, Markuson and Coach Malzahn trying to get a word in.  At one point during the Utah State game, I saw Markuson in the sideline huddle talking to the offensive line, both Coach Nutts talking to different groups (rbs and other personnel) and Coach Malzahn talking to Mitch.  How in the world can there be continuity when that group hits the field and tries to execute.  Every personnel group was addressed by a different coach at the same time.  This was even pointed out on the Sports Week program with Bazzel and James and Sully complete with video highlights.  I think we have real issues as we start SEC play.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 11, 2006, 02:45:05 pm
If Clinkscales can rush for over a thousand yards in Gus' HUNH offense, then McFadden can too. So why would Gus implement the I formation?
Ahh, there is the rub...Gus is being forced to bastardize his offense in order to keep Houston Dale's tired, predictable playbook in the mix.  There is no, I repeat, NO reason whatsoever to go back and forth between two offenses.  And we know what HDN can do for us.

Umm...yeah, there is a reason.  But it takes a little knowledge about teaching and football to understand it though.
Care to extrapolate?  I have played football for 14 years at every level short of the NFL.  But, I bow to your superior knowledge.  I guess I wasted all of those hours in the film room.  Take a look at GOOD programs.  Did Urban Meyer run a "hybrid" offense at Florida?  How are they doing right now?  Notre Dame?  Their O was not a blend of Charlie Weiss and Tyrone Willingham...#2 in the nation year 2.  Open your eyes and pull your nose out of Houston's bum.  The view is better from up here.
The point i should have took more time to explain is that there is a reason.  IMO the reason is that Nutt is scared that totally implementing the HUNH will in essance turn this year into another rebuilding year.  He knows he is on the short leash this year and cannot "buy" another year with the excuse of "we tried to emplement a new offense and didn't have all the player personel we needed". 
It's pretty evident to most that installing this new offence with the players we have now is gonna take some growing pains, and Nutt knows he cannot afford growing pains right now.  Do i think this is the right move?  long term, no.  win right now with what we got, maybe.  Like i said earlier in a post, i don't know it all.
Do not call me a hugger.  I could give a rats diick about HDN.  I just want the team to win and win now and from now on.
BTW, we don't have an Urban Meyer or Charlie Weiss.  And our talent level as a whole is WAY below Florida or ND's, so that's not a very good comparison.
OK, sorry if I overreacted.  It is painfully obvious that we do not have an Urban Meyers or Charlie Weiss, but talent level has nothing to do with learning the offense.  And, who's fault is it that we have a poor talent pool at this time?

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 11, 2006, 03:29:00 pm

OK, sorry if I overreacted.  It is painfully obvious that we do not have an Urban Meyers or Charlie Weiss, but talent level has nothing to do with learning the offense.  And, who's fault is it that we have a poor talent pool at this time?
ok your right about who's fault.  but talent level and brains are needed to learn the offense.  timing.  ability to process and read D's quickly by recievers and linemen.  ability to CATCH the ball when it hits you in the hands.  speed. marginal talent = losses in college ball even with a great system and a great coach. 
   our talent was marginal in our old system, now they're marginal AND having to figure out who they block or how to pass block.  these o-line vets CANNOT pass block effectively.  they haven't had to for the most part over the years and therefore were not coached properly.
    top tier recievers have not came here recently until this year because they knew they wouldn't get the ball.  so our recieving vets aren't as good as they need to be.
    without the players mistakes last sat. night, we would have had at least a 31-0 win.  Is that the coaches fault or players fault.  accountability falls on both sides. you said you played college ball too, so you tell me;  when you made a mistake, who's fault was it.   i know when i did, it was all my fault.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 11, 2006, 03:47:12 pm

ok your right about who's fault.  but talent level and brains are needed to learn the offense.  timing.  ability to process and read D's quickly by recievers and linemen.  ability to CATCH the ball when it hits you in the hands.  speed. marginal talent = losses in college ball even with a great system and a great coach. 
   our talent was marginal in our old system, now they're marginal AND having to figure out who they block or how to pass block.  these o-line vets CANNOT pass block effectively.  they haven't had to for the most part over the years and therefore were not coached properly.
    top tier recievers have not came here recently until this year because they knew they wouldn't get the ball.  so our recieving vets aren't as good as they need to be.
    without the players mistakes last sat. night, we would have had at least a 31-0 win.  Is that the coaches fault or players fault.  accountability falls on both sides. you said you played college ball too, so you tell me;  when you made a mistake, who's fault was it.   i know when i did, it was all my fault.
It depends, did I make a mistake due to poor execution, or poor preparation?  When it was the first, then it was my fault.  When it was the second...you guessed it, it was the coach.  As to the talent level, if we are going to run this offense, then we have to run this offense.  You cannot learn a new offense with all of it's quirks and vagaries by running a different offense.  Try to learn Greek by studying Chinese and tell me how that works for you.

Hawgon

without the players mistakes last sat. night, we would have had at least a 31-0 win.  Is that the coaches fault or players fault.  accountability falls on both sides. you said you played college ball too, so you tell me;  when you made a mistake, who's fault was it.   i know when i did, it was all my fault.

It is funny how quickly the huggers have gone from a preseason of contending that we're a talented and experienced squad that was going to make some noise this year, to saying that our talent is "marginal" and that it is too much to expect that these marginally talented players learn an offense that high schools all over the country are running.

CorningHog

Excuses, excuses, excuses!

The problem lies in the coaching and for sure it is probably going to get worse.

Too bad these guys are going to sabotage what Gus could bring to the table.

But, as the captain of the ship, the captain gets to do what he wants until they create a "mutiny"!

That may or may not happen.
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

wildhogman

Quote from: Hawgon on September 11, 2006, 03:52:45 pm

It is funny how quickly the huggers have gone from a preseason of contending that we're a talented and experienced squad that was going to make some noise this year, to saying that our talent is "marginal" and that it is too much to expect that these marginally talented players learn an offense that high schools all over the country are running.
Its even funnier that anyone who posts anything but FIRE NUTTS NOW!!!!!!! is a hugger. I believe the man already stated he is NOT a hugger. Why is it so important for "Darksiders" to lable everyone?
Hugger Darksider, good cop bad cop, cowboys and indians, us vs. the world.

Hawgon

artyhog

Mr. Hogback075

September 11, 2006, 05:08:59 pm #213 Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 05:11:03 pm by Mr. Hogback075
That's a bunch of BS.  I NEVER said we were that talented in preseason.  in fact, when everyone was going crazy about our recruiting class i was saying: "wait a minute, it's still #24;  That's not great."  If i remember right, it was mostly the darksiders that were giving the practice reports and saying how great everyone looked.  I have always been skeptical.
If it's easier to just label someone as the unpopular side rather than debate something, fine.  Read my latest posts rather than jumping to conclusions.  I am a realist, and the fact remains that HDN, Gus, Herring, or any other coach out there still cannot run, catch, throw, block, or think for a player during a game.  Should these guys have been taught better, Obviously.  all i am saying is that accountability goes both ways.  It's not ALL the coaches fault, but it starts there.  If HDN is a true leader, tho, he would accept the accountability of failures.  That's one thing he does not do. Like i said earlier, i don't care if HDN is the coach or not, i want our team to win.

Hawgon

Hugger.

Alright, alright...relax.  Huggers are people to.

The Big Pig

Two words will ultimately decide this season for the Razorbacks.  It is, and has been, a thorn in the side of Nutt in his entire tenure.  It is already apparent that they will decide more than one outcome this year.  These two words apply on both sides of the ball and have been a problem for both the offense and defense again this year. 

Two Words................."THIRD DOWN"

loserhog3-7

mikeirwin Thanks. It great to hear something about our team.

I was just brain farting. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Nutt close practice because he thought that the other teams were able to see his plays during practice? What's his excuse now that practices are closed?

razor

Where are these plays that Nutt keeps hiding from other teams. I haven't missed a game in years, and I keep seeing the same old plays. These mysterious, yet unseen plays, where are they? Will they ever surface or do they only exist in some parrarrel universe to which we all have no access?

Hogs4Ever

100% Darksider checking in.  I was at the game and saw the same mistakes with penalties being made like last year.  Then the field goal kicking is beyond terrible.  Instead of working on a new offense that might help us in SEC play, we go back to smoke draws.  Unless we get a TON of help from the opposing teams in the SEC, we are going to have a miserable season. >:( >:(

GuvHog

I can't believe what I'm hearing. From the moment GM became OC everyone was told from
day one that the offense would be a combination of GMs, HDNs, & AWs offensive schemes,
and it's been repeated time and time again all spring and summer. People we knew this going
in and I can't believe you're all shocked by it. Only 2 of the starters knew GMs offensive
scheme from the git go. The rest knew nothing about it. Even GM said he hasn't had
enough time to teach it to those players who've never run it. At Springdale, GM could
have practice with the players all year round and teach his offense every day. In college,
practice time is severely limited so it will take a while. Let's be patient.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 12, 2006, 11:25:29 am
I can't believe what I'm hearing. From the moment GM became OC everyone was told from
day one that the offense would be a combination of GMs, HDNs, & AWs offensive schemes,
and it's been repeated time and time again all spring and summer. People we knew this going
in and I can't believe you're all shocked by it. Only 2 of the starters knew GMs offensive
scheme from the git go. The rest knew nothing about it. Even GM said he hasn't had
enough time to teach it to those players who've never run it. At Springdale, GM could
have practice with the players all year round and teach his offense every day. In college,

The USC game was a combination of both.  The Utah State game was all Nutt.

Something happened that allowed Nutt to take control.  We will not beat Vandy with Nutt's offense.

GO COMMODORES!!!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

GuvHog

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on September 12, 2006, 11:30:23 am

Something happened that allowed Nutt to take control.  We will not beat Vandy with Nutt's offense.

GO COMMODORES!!!

2 of the 3 touchdowns were scored using the HUNH offense. It WASN"T all HDN.

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 12, 2006, 11:39:08 am

GO COMMODORES!!!

Most of the game it was Nutts offense.  He was also in full control of the arguing on the sidelines. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

GuvHog

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on September 12, 2006, 11:40:37 am

GO COMMODORES!!!

Most of the game it was Nutts offense.  He was also in full control of the arguing on the sidelines. 

You were on the sidelines and heard what was said?

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 12, 2006, 11:49:08 am
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on September 12, 2006, 11:40:37 am

GO COMMODORES!!!

You were on the sidelines and heard what was said?

Nope.  But a camera and some reporters were, as well as some posters on here.  The vast majority are saying the same thing.  KATV is not going to report seeing something that they really didn't.