Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

About the Utah State game

Started by mikeirwin, September 10, 2006, 04:39:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on September 10, 2006, 11:42:44 am
Quote from: KEYS on September 10, 2006, 11:36:21 am
Quote from: razor on September 10, 2006, 11:21:35 am
To "phase something in," you have to actually perform the act that you are trying to "phase in." It looked to me like we were trying to "phase in HDN's" power running game. Mitch got a whole lot more used to that last night than he did running a wide open offense.

Why is it that junior high and high school players have little difficulty adapting to Gus' HUNH offense but D1 scholarship athletes can't?  Baloney.  I see an offensive coordinator who's been given a tiny box to work within and is trying to make the best of the situation.

I have said nothing about run versus pass or I-formation versus the spread.  I am referencing our Offensive Coordinator's HURRY UP NO HUDDLE OFFENSE philosophy.  Did anyone see evidence that the philosophy the OC has written books about is being embraced?  

I would expect people to say all the right things on record.  Afterall, WINNING requires them to come together and operate within the framework they've been given.  The bigger issue is whose framework is it?  The answer is fairly obvious to me.

Now I feel the urge to vomit again. :puke:

Hawgback075, please read what Keys posted. Maybe that will help you see the light.
KEYS knows what he is talking about.  the best part of that post to me was "winning requires they come together and operate within the fromework they've been given". i agree completely.  you have 2 guys out there (sometimes 3) who know this offense.  the other 8 or 9 don't, or they don't have the ability to play in it. 
You can't frame a house with screwdrivers.  and you can't implement Gus' complete offense without 11 guys who can do it.

MrCouch

What does establishing the run against Utah State prove? Absolutely NOTHING.. They haven't scored a Touchdown all year on Offense, and they still pushed our defense all over the field. Mustain wasn't allowed to be turned loose, and as usual with HDN as head Coach we're the only school in the country that would pull our starters up 20-0 in the 3rd Quarter.. Notice how Pete didn't pull his starters until they were up 44-7... And I guarantee you won't see Bobby Bowden, Mac Brown, or any other Coach worth a damn pulling their starters either.. It's just sad right now in Razorback Country!

Razorsharp

Isn't it something how the driveby media, Chuck Barret, Dudley Dawson, Clay Henry started talking on Monday about how we need to get to the hardnose running because we were to finesse.  Where do they get their talking points?  I distinctly remember when Gus was going to Springdale that people said he can't run that in the 5A West. You have to have a power running game.  Well, I would say they dominated with his offense and it isn't a power running game.  Oh and you can't run that offense in the SEC.  Well, I think Peyton Manning does a heck of job in the NFL running it.  They won quite a few games last year.  I know it will take time to install the offense, and Gus has said it will be next year before the offense is totally installed.  His offense is evolving as time goes by.  Be patient!  He will get the job done!
Hire Gus!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Shag66 on September 10, 2006, 01:15:55 pm
Quote from: Arkansas_no bowl on September 10, 2006, 01:13:33 pm
Thankfully McFadden is healthy and back to his old ways or that would have been an awful Saturday night. 

WYOMING scored 38 pts vs. Utah State.....gimmick passing isn't going to get us anywhere.  The jump ball to Monk took too long to call.  Should have utilized it early and often.  Could be a long season.....we'll see.  Not impressed at all with the offense.  2 good plays by Springdale High isn't going to cut it in SEC play.  I am looking forward to a springdale player coming in next year - we need a real KICKER!

soooo...  you are advocating going completely away from the new offense and back to what hasn't worked before?

Oh if only I could smite thee!

Feels good doesn't it, being on the good guys' side.... ;D
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

hogs25

I'll bet anybody $100 we lose to Vanderbilt.

I'm more skeptical after yesterday than ever.

Shag66

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on September 10, 2006, 05:58:14 pm
Feels good doesn't it, being on the good guys' side.... ;D

I feel so.....

liberated!

Wooisme

+1 to ClockWork... truth with a capital "T"
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

OinkinOregon

Listening to the game last night on the internet made me sick. :puke:  I hope that Mike is right and this will get better, but I don't believe with Nutt in control that will be the case.  I believe in the players as always but these coaches have to go.  Please someone needs to fire Markuson before the end of the season.  The man cannot coach PASS BLOCKING!!!  I just hope MM can survive this year so we can get a real coaching staff at the UA next year.

HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!  Same ole stuff different year with those guys. ::)

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 10, 2006, 04:06:47 pm
To "phase something in," you have to actually perform the act that you are trying to "phase in." It looked to me like we were trying to "phase in HDN's" power running game. Mitch got a whole lot more used to that last night than he did running a wide open offense.

Why is it that junior high and high school players have little difficulty adapting to Gus' HUNH offense but D1 scholarship athletes can't?  Baloney.  I see an offensive coordinator who's been given a tiny box to work within and is trying to make the best of the situation.

I have said nothing about run versus pass or I-formation versus the spread.  I am referencing our Offensive Coordinator's HURRY UP NO HUDDLE OFFENSE philosophy.  Did anyone see evidence that the philosophy the OC has written books about is being embraced?  

I would expect people to say all the right things on record.  Afterall, WINNING requires them to come together and operate within the framework they've been given.  The bigger issue is whose framework is it?  The answer is fairly obvious to me.

Hawgback075, please read what Keys posted. Maybe that will help you see the light.
KEYS knows what he is talking about.  the best part of that post to me was "winning requires they come together and operate within the fromework they've been given". i agree completely.  you have 2 guys out there (sometimes 3) who know this offense.  the other 8 or 9 don't, or they don't have the ability to play in it. 
You can't frame a house with screwdrivers.  and you can't implement Gus' complete offense without 11 guys who can do it.

Thanks for the compliment, but the MOST significant point I wanted to make seemed to get overlooked as people were arguing the formations and run/pass stats.  It is a very simple "test" to me as to who's in control of the offense:

I have said nothing about run versus pass or I-formation versus the spread.  I am referencing our Offensive Coordinator's HURRY UP NO HUDDLE OFFENSE philosophy.  Did anyone see evidence that the philosophy the OC has written books about is being embraced? 

If high school and junior high kids can run the HUNH (regardless whether it's passing or running or I-formation or spread), why are D1 scholarship athletes unable to do it?  I have no doubt in my mind they would be running it effectively RIGHT NOW if the Offensive Coordinator were allowed to implement HIS offensive philosopy.  HDN has a clock-eating ball control philosophy.  So who do you think is REALLY coordinating the offense?  CEO coach my butt!

brooks74

Quote from: hogfan4life56 on September 10, 2006, 02:46:27 pm
Well brooks he got 180 yards out of the I formation, so i guess it will work for him.

Against Utah State.  He could have had 180 out of any formation.  We CANNOT become a one dimensional team again.  Works great playing cupcakes, but shouldn't we be working on our weaknesses against our cupcakes, not strengthening our strengths.  That is the point of frustration. 

razor

hogninja

Well, we did leave 18 points out on the field.  Would all this bitchin be happening if we won 38-0?  Yeah probably. :razorback:

Shag66

Quote from: hogninja on September 10, 2006, 07:59:20 pm
Well, we did leave 18 points out on the field.  Would all this bitchin be happening if we won 38-0?  Yeah probably. :razorback:

Actually yes.  If the Offense looked like that we probably would be complaining with a 38-0 score.

brooks74

Quote from: hogninja on September 10, 2006, 07:59:20 pm
Just another reason for the disappointment.  We left them on the field against UTAH STATE!

1BigPig

Some of you Darksiders make some good points.  The "force" is loosing its grip on me.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: KEYS on September 10, 2006, 07:38:25 pm

Thanks for the compliment, but the MOST significant point I wanted to make seemed to get overlooked as people were arguing the formations and run/pass stats.  It is a very simple "test" to me as to who's in control of the offense:

I have said nothing about run versus pass or I-formation versus the spread.  I am referencing our Offensive Coordinator's HURRY UP NO HUDDLE OFFENSE philosophy.  Did anyone see evidence that the philosophy the OC has written books about is being embraced? 

If high school and junior high kids can run the HUNH (regardless whether it's passing or running or I-formation or spread), why are D1 scholarship athletes unable to do it?  I have no doubt in my mind they would be running it effectively RIGHT NOW if the Offensive Coordinator were allowed to implement HIS offensive philosopy.  HDN has a clock-eating ball control philosophy.  So who do you think is REALLY coordinating the offense?  CEO coach my butt!
Not hard to see with your eyes open, huh?  I am continually amazed by the level of mediocrity some fans are willing to accept.  The only time I saw Gus' philosophy in evidence was the last minute of the first half...5 plays, 80 yds, TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS!!!  Now that's what I'm talking about!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: 1BigPig on September 10, 2006, 08:13:33 pm
Some of you Darksiders make some good points.  The "force" is loosing its grip on me.

1BigPig, I am your fathah.  Join us.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Riverhog1950

IF we lose to Vandy,  AGAIN, I think our season is in the tank.  Fan support will dwindle and outrage will be theme of the day....

eehog

Anybody have any word on Robert Johnson? I watched the Pig Trail with Bo Mattingly tonight and Bo said that Robert was very disappointed Saturday night after the game when he saw him. Something to do with him only getting to play WR a few snaps and never seeing the ball. Bo said something about stay tuned for RoJo's future... sounds like Bo thinks he may not be around in a Hog uniform for Vandy. Wouldn't hurt me too much if he wasn't; I'm not a RoJo fan - and don't think he's a good player... but I will agree with some people I've talked with that say he hasn't gotten a fair shake this season - as far as being a possible scape goat against USC.

Oliverhogman

I will tell you why a DIV I scholarship player cannot grasp Gus offense.

Because while it was being taught to them.  We had an idiot that was blitzing every other play.  We had a CEO Head Coach who allowed that to happen.

gopigsgo

1bigpig you must listen to Notshavin it is your destiny! Besides the death star is a really cool place to vacation in Dec.

Oliverhogman

As for ROJO. Did anyone REALLY think Nutt was going to use him over Monk and Williams?  I hope ROJO is seeing the "real" coach that he put his trust in.

RAZ FAN

Quote from: KEYS on September 10, 2006, 07:38:25 pm

High school kids can, because they are brought up in it. Kids all over state wanted to play for Gus, and he built it from the ground up wherever he went. I know its hard, but give him time and MM time to run it.

DarkVader

Keys, when Malzahn first came to Springdale, did he run 100% HUNH, or did he slowly phase it in?

My knowledge of Gus\'s history is about as close to nill as you can get, just trying to get some understanding of his coaching style.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: RAZ FAN on September 10, 2006, 09:50:25 pm
High school kids can, because they are brought up in it.

Yes, by Gus' 3rd year at SHS, the sophmores had been running it since 8th grade.  However, he still ran the HUNH in years 1 & 2 as well -- and so did those junior high coaches.  MM is one of those kids who's run the HUNH since 8th grade, so I don't think he needs any "time" to run it.

Hugehogsfan

Keys, any insight from any of the kids or are we hearing the cryptic messages we have been hearing all weekend?

three

Quote from: KEYS on September 10, 2006, 09:59:42 pm

Yes, by Gus' 3rd year at SHS, the sophmores had been running it since 8th grade.  However, he still ran the HUNH in years 1 & 2 as well -- and so did those junior high coaches.  MM is one of those kids who's run the HUNH since 8th grade, so I don't think he needs any "time" to run it.
I agree with what you're saying, but let me point out one flaw in this.  You're referring to Gus' system as the "hurry up" no huddle offense.  I think this is a bit misleading.  It's more of a quick strike no huddle.  They don't really "hurry" they just strike quick.  Mitch traditionally takes his time reading the defense once all the personnel is on the field.

Hurry up is when you snap the ball as soon as you approach the line of scrimmage.  Hurry up is when you're in a hurry to snap the  ball.  The no-huddle is more or less designed to wear down a defense with quick strikes, rather than to "hurry."

I'm not criticizing what you're saying, in fact, I agree 100%.  I just think people are getting the wrong idea about what's to be expected from the finished product.  It will take time, but once we see it (and it may take a couple years to see it in its entirety) but once we see it, it's a no huddle, BUT NOT a hurry up.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Shag66

lol three...  read the book man...  watch the tape...  listen to KEYS...  please!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: three on September 10, 2006, 10:14:50 pm

I agree with what you're saying, but let me point out one flaw in this.  You're referring to Gus' system as the "hurry up" no huddle offense.  I think this is a bit misleading.  It's more of a quick strike no huddle.  They don't really "hurry" they just strike quick.  Mitch traditionally takes his time reading the defense once all the personnel is on the field.

Hurry up is when you snap the ball as soon as you approach the line of scrimmage.  Hurry up is when you're in a hurry to snap the  ball.  The no-huddle is more or less designed to wear down a defense with quick strikes, rather than to "hurry."

I'm not criticizing what you're saying, in fact, I agree 100%.  I just think people are getting the wrong idea about what's to be expected from the finished product.  It will take time, but once we see it (and it may take a couple years to see it in its entirety) but once we see it, it's a no huddle, BUT NOT a hurry up.

I refer to it as the HURRY UP NO HUDDLE because that's the title of Gus' book.  The point you make about it not actually being "hurry up" is actually made in the book too.

three

Quote from: KEYS on September 10, 2006, 10:16:59 pm

I refer to it as the HURRY UP NO HUDDLE because that's the title of Gus' book.  The point you make about it not actually being "hurry up" is actually made in the book too.
I understand.  Didn't realize you were talking about the book.  A lot of people have struggled with this idea.  They seem to associate anything that's "no huddle" as a hurry-up 2 minute drill type of thing.  It's been like fighting a losing  battle trying to get these people to understand Gus' scheme is actually very methodical.

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

TMc

Guys I've been following the Razorbacks a long time.., and like most of you I was ready to blow a gasket last night.  I was scared we were not giving Gus a chance.  However, I did go back to watch the game on Hogwired today.., and honestly I believe we are going to see the offense continue to get better and better.  As they (offense/Mitch) get more comfortable I think we aren't going to have to worry about scoring.  On the other hand, I am worried about the defense (with Freddie out now), and our kicking game especially.  This could be the difference in us going 5-7  or 8-4.  Just my thoughts..

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: three on September 10, 2006, 10:25:14 pm
Quote from: KEYS on September 10, 2006, 10:16:59 pm

I understand.  Didn't realize you were talking about the book.  A lot of people have struggled with this idea.  They seem to associate anything that's "no huddle" as a hurry-up 2 minute drill type of thing.  It's been like fighting a losing  battle trying to get these people to understand Gus' scheme is actually very methodical.

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.

No problem whatsoever!  I think there are MANY people who do not really understand what Gus' offensive philosophy really is.  You see people making references to Texas Tech, or talking about trick plays, or the 2-minute drill.  That is not what I watched for the past 5 years in Springdale.  For all the talk about Damian, Andrew, Ben and Mitchell's passing stats, people often overlook Matt Clinkscales rushing for over 1,000 yards.  He came off the field when the starters did too, so it wasn't "garbage time" rushing yards either.

MrCouch

Clinkscale is now at UCA and is a stud.. Not sure how he's doing down in Conway.. Also, He had what, 1900 yards rushing in his senior year at Springdale?

Mr. Hogback075

KEYS, we all KNOW the SHS boys are ready, but do you think the other 90% of the offense are? I mean, everyone of the vets on the O-line we predominantly recruted as good runblockers.  Our recievers aren't that great, and you know those guys HAVE to be in the right spot at the right time for the timing of the plays. 
The point I am trying to make is not that we should trust Nutt or that we should let him overlook the offense.  It's that we don't have the horses on the field that Gus needs and i think he knows it and knows his HUNH will have a hard time being successful.  So maybe he's doing what HE wants in order to protect his "baby", i.e. (HUNH).

Just to set the record straight to those who don't know me.
- I am not a hugger.
- I don't trust HDN to run an offense.
- I want Gus to COMPLETELY control the offense.
- I believe what reliable people tell me.
- I am not a conspiracy theorist.
- I would rather look at facts of a situation and leave emotion out of it.
- I do know football.
- I am not a dumbass.
- I am not a "know it all".

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 10, 2006, 11:32:17 pm

KEYS, we all KNOW the SHS boys are ready, but do you think the other 90% of the offense are? I mean, everyone of the vets on the O-line we predominantly recruted as good runblockers.  Our recievers aren't that great, and you know those guys HAVE to be in the right spot at the right time for the timing of the plays. 
The point I am trying to make is not that we should trust Nutt or that we should let him overlook the offense.  It's that we don't have the horses on the field that Gus needs and i think he knows it and knows his HUNH will have a hard time being successful.  So maybe he's doing what HE wants in order to protect his "baby", i.e. (HUNH).

- I am not a hugger.
- I do know football.
- I am not a dumbass.

You and I might be closer in thinking that you might believe.  I certainly don't expect to see the offense look like last year's SHS Bulldogs.  However, I did, expect to see the HUNH with Gus at the controls -- like we saw glimpses of with Mitchell in the USC game.  You can still feature the running game in a HUNH (ask Matt Clinkscales).  It's one thing for HDN to offer suggestions and give input, it's quite another restrict things to the point that they appear to be reverting back to last year's offense.

razor

If Clinkscales can rush for over a thousand yards in Gus' HUNH offense, then McFadden can too. So why would Gus implement the I formation?

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: razor on September 11, 2006, 12:03:17 am
If Clinkscales can rush for over a thousand yards in Gus' HUNH offense, then McFadden can too. So why would Gus implement the I formation?

I'm not convinced Gus had a choice.

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: KEYS on September 10, 2006, 11:58:33 pm
Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 10, 2006, 11:32:17 pm

- I am not a hugger.
- I do know football.
- I am not a dumbass.

You and I might be closer in thinking that you might believe.  I certainly don't expect to see the offense look like last year's SHS Bulldogs.  However, I did, expect to see the HUNH with Gus at the controls -- like we saw glimpses of with Mitchell in the USC game.  You can still feature the running game in a HUNH (ask Matt Clinkscales).  It's one thing for HDN to offer suggestions and give input, it's quite another restrict things to the point that they appear to be reverting back to last year's offense.

Right on KEYS.  Hmmm....if only we knew someone who knows Gus personally who could tell us what's really going on. I'm not a mind reader and I'm not a professional psychologist who can read body language...(though i think most posters here believe they are), so I'm just going to trust what mike said to be the truth about what's going on.  It makes sense to me. I just don't think things are as bad as they seem on this particular situation.

Hong Kong Sooey

Ahh, there is the rub...Gus is being forced to bastardize his offense in order to keep Houston Dale's tired, predictable playbook in the mix.  There is no, I repeat, NO reason whatsoever to go back and forth between two offenses.  And we know what HDN can do for us.

CorningHog

Until we see Markuson's offensive line performing at a "normal" or "average" SEC caliber level we are in trouble.  I see too often our OL just standing straight up and leaning on people.  Even when it is a running play, they seldom (if ever) try and find someone to hit downfield.  Look at the NFL and even this past weekend at the Utah State guys.  I saw OL running downfield tagging our secondary and even bruising our LB's.  If you look at the play that got Fairchild hurt, you saw at least one or even two of their guys coming 20 yards away from the start of the play, even though it was down the line of scrimmage and actually trying to hit our guys.

For the life of me, I can't understand how Markuson allows this type of "laziness" and lack of interest in being "smash mouth".

We need to see these guys get under the "ropes" in that "Blood Pit" type of drill where they have to stay low and fight thru people to avoid getting knocked around.

We have one of the most passive set of linemen that I have seen so far this year in the running game.  We do block down or trap okay but once we see the ball carrier go thru the hole we just stand there.  There is very little downfield blocking and because we rely on the "zone" or step blocking scheme, we have guys who want to step two feet and then stop and scratch their back side.

If these guys don't pick it up in a hurry, the rugged SEC defenses will eat them alive. 

The defense did seem uninspired but right now things are going to become a lot more important and without Fairchild we need some help.  Also, I have no problem with all the running game emphasis against Utah State if that helps this offense get the linemen involved.  I still saw a lot of loafing, too bad Gus doesn't make his guys do up downs like Herring.

It all becomes "REAL" on Saturday against Vanderbilt!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 11, 2006, 12:40:45 am
Ahh, there is the rub...Gus is being forced to bastardize his offense in order to keep Houston Dale's tired, predictable playbook in the mix.  There is no, I repeat, NO reason whatsoever to go back and forth between two offenses.  And we know what HDN can do for us.

Umm...yeah, there is a reason.  But it takes a little knowledge about teaching and football to understand it though.

Bill CHILL

I was also at the game and I felt sick at what I saw. We must improve.
You're born an original, so why die a copy?

Pork Twain

September 11, 2006, 07:17:50 am #192 Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 07:19:32 am by BeoPig
Great post as usual.  Nice to get the facts rather than the sky is falling every time things don't look just like Springdale.  People that didn't think there were going to be some huge growing pain were fooling themselves in the worst way.  All of the players on this team, with the exception of the Sprindale 4, have to go from a run only offense to a HUNH.  That is a huge change.  I expect great things from the O next year but I expect to see great improvement as the year goes on this year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 11, 2006, 12:47:13 am
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 11, 2006, 12:40:45 am

Umm...yeah, there is a reason.  But it takes a little knowledge about teaching and football to understand it though.
Care to extrapolate?  I have played football for 14 years at every level short of the NFL.  But, I bow to your superior knowledge.  I guess I wasted all of those hours in the film room.  Take a look at GOOD programs.  Did Urban Meyer run a "hybrid" offense at Florida?  How are they doing right now?  Notre Dame?  Their O was not a blend of Charlie Weiss and Tyrone Willingham...#2 in the nation year 2.  Open your eyes and pull your nose out of Houston's bum.  The view is better from up here.

Big Daddy Hog Nuts

Everyone seems to think that letting an unproven on the college level coordinator loose is the key to a national championship. Am I the only one who finds this to be a bit of a stretch?

Let me say, I am no Nutt fan, and I'm not bashing Gus.  I just think there are other issues here.  I hope Gus is the answer and he definitely desrves a shot, but is his offense automatic money in the bank?

I think there are a lot of small things that make a huge problem. 

#1 Kicking - Where would the Patriots have been without Vinatieri?

#2 Blocking - It's hard to complete a pass if you're on your back or running for your life.

#3 Defensive Line - Where is the pressure up the middle?

#4 Dropped Passes - It doesn't matter how big or fast you are if you can't hold on to the ball.

#5 Missed tackles - Wrap up!!!

#6 Turnovers - Protect the Football!!

These are all fundamentals.  New offenses take time to develop.  Team chemistry and continuity take time to develop.  Fundamentals should be in place from the start. 

It doesn't matter if you run it, throw it, or kick it.  Fundementally sound football teams win games.

Lack of fundementals points to a coaching failure on all levels.

I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet. ~Rodney Dangerfield

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Big Daddy Hog Nuts on September 11, 2006, 09:55:25 am
Everyone seems to think that letting an unproven on the college level coordinator loose is the key to a national championship. Am I the only one who finds this to be a bit of a stretch?

Let me say, I am no Nutt fan, and I'm not bashing Gus.  I just think there are other issues here.  I hope Gus is the answer and he definitely desrves a shot, but is his offense automatic money in the bank?

I think there are a lot of small things that make a huge problem. 

#1 Kicking - Where would the Patriots have been without Vinatieri?

#2 Blocking - It's hard to complete a pass if you're on your back or running for your life.

#3 Defensive Line - Where is the pressure up the middle?

#4 Dropped Passes - It doesn't matter how big or fast you are if you can't hold on to the ball.

#5 Missed tackles - Wrap up!!!

#6 Turnovers - Protect the Football!!

These are all fundamentals.  New offenses take time to develop.  Team chemistry and continuity take time to develop.  Fundamentals should be in place from the start. 

It doesn't matter if you run it, throw it, or kick it.  Fundementally sound football teams win games.

Lack of fundementals points to a coaching failure on all levels.

I am not sold on Gus either...but I durn sure know what Houston Dale's O brings to the table.  And so does every D Coordinator in the SEC.  We hired Gus to install his O...let's get on with it.

brooks74

I am sold on Gus to the extent of he has to be an improvement over our offensive gameplan the last 6 years.  It will take time, but this crap about a hybrid isn't going to cut it.  I said it in another thread, we will get killed in the SEC if we become one-dimensional again, and Saturday looked to me like we were working on being one-dimensional.  Big-daddy, all great points and good post.

Hawgon

I am not going to sit here and claim to be an absolute Xs and Os football expert, but it seems to me that the only person who really needs to be absolutely comfortable to run a no huddle offense is the QB.  Everyone else, just needs to learn their assignments and routes.  What difference does it make if the plays are called in the huddle or at the line of scrimmage if you know what you are doing?  There is no excuse for players not devoting the time to the film room to learn their routes and assignments BY THE FIRST GAME OF THE YEAR.  Except, that our staff is divided and ultimately, Gus does not have the authority to demand perfection from either the players or his "subordinate" coaches.

This experiment was doomed from the start because HDN does not want it to succeed.  It is as simple as that.

middleman

The bottom line is right now the hogs are going into the SEC without the offensive game plan they need to be successful.
I still don't see how you razorback fans think the hogs will be 9-3 or 10-2 with all the drama going on in Fayetteville.
That program is mediocre until HDN is out as Coach.  I'm thinking Butch Davis, Gus, Alex, Reggie and a few newcomers and you got a staff.
That's when you can think next level, but for right now you got a mid major program.

brooks74

I see two guaranteed wins left.  SEMO and ULM.  Before Saturday I would have included Vandy, Ole Miss, and MSU with Bama being a likely win.  Without improvement or better playcalling, we could go ofer in the SEC.