Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Gus be the next Hog Head Coach?

Started by 101st Hogborne, September 03, 2006, 11:00:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jackwalker

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on September 04, 2006, 01:19:28 am
Quote from: MLHGus is under contract and Broyles will probably tell the incoming coach that he would have to keep Gus.

Butch will be ok with that.

A defensive minded coach (Butch Davis) with a great OC (GM) is the combination for a powerhouse team (see LSU with Saban and USC with Carrol as examples.) becasue it keeps the recruiting balanced.  At UA we are in desperate need of better recruiting on the D side.
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

jackwalker

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on September 04, 2006, 11:47:54 am
Houston Nutt is the only coach that gives us a chance to have that break out year and stay here and possibly build a dynasty. No other coach would stay in Arkansas after winning 10 or more games.

I am amazed that after 2 posts you have that kind of karma rating.  That must have been some first post.

As for your comment, I couldn't tell if it were sarcasm.  If it was, then I apologize.  If it was legit, I'm disgusted, seeing as how Nutt has not won 10 games in a season in his 8 years on the hill.
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

jap66

Quote from: Born on September 04, 2006, 09:43:34 am
chiming in...

There is a very real example currently on the athletic coaching staff, of when Frank Broyles hired someone who did NOT have head coach expereience.   Frank promoted this guy to head coach from an assistant coach position, without any prior head coach experience.

The person?  John Mcdonnell

Frank promoted him to head track and crosscountry coach from the cross-country coach only position.

The rest is history.

Frank will promote Gus Malzahn to head coach from the OC position, once he establishes a track record of sorts of winning.

John Mcdonnell won 2 SWC cross-country titles in a row(?), then was promoted to head track coach.

Gus needs to post a similar mark, such as being in top 3 in SEC offensively or top 10 nationally.. then Frank will have the history to justifiy promoting Gus to head coach.

There is one difference.

Track and Baseball don't pay the bills.
Football does.

BuschHawg

The keys:

Retire JFB.

Fire HDN.

Get out the checkbook. Sell all the CD's and stock. Take out some loans.

Find the best PROVEN coach in the country.

Gus is great. I think VERY, VERY highly of him and his abilities, and think he'll one day become one of the premier head coaches in the nation. Right now, we need a head coach that is known and respected, can coach well and can recruit. We need someone that leaves no doubts in the minds of recruits. As great as we all know Gus is, and will become, there would be too many questions at this stage of his career. We need immediate help.

trufanofhogs

Quote from: pigfoot on September 04, 2006, 10:50:08 am
Quote from: John Basedow on September 04, 2006, 10:43:44 am
NO NO NO.  Take heed in what Orville Henry said 9 years ago when Nutt was hired.  The Hogs need a hired gun, not an up and comer or a project!!  Start looking at Norm Chow or Bobby Petrino, not a HS coach or a member of the current staff..

Unfortunately at this point, the program is in such a condition, that the Hogs may not attract a quality candidate no matter how much $$ you throw at him.

There's wisdom in those words, John.   +1
Yes, I remember reading Orville's opinions on this subject. Nutt was not his first choice, not even close. As I recall, Tuberville is who he was advocating. I also remember him expressing anger towards the "powers that be"  for screwing up and not getting things right. I know he made it clear that he felt that that hiring decision was critical for the long term health of the football program. He was wise and very knowledgeable in all things "razorback". He is truly missed.

PigPusher

Good chance our next top coach will be Coach Malzahn.  With him being so popular and his skill as a coach why go to an outsider? This school is big on, "Good ole boys" and Coach definitely is that. Of coures Coach Malzahn needs to get a little more seasoning, but he looks to me like he is very comfortable in his new role.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

HawgPilot

At this point, I would prefer to bring in BUTCH!!

pigfoot

I don't believe it will happen because JFB doesn't want to take a chance on being wrong (again), and Lindsey isn't willing to stick his neck out that far this early.  And I still say that there are deeper problems on the Hill than choosing our next QB or next head coach.  The problems are at the top.  And I believe they are significant.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

hogfan064

If South Carolina got Steve Spurrier then we can get a big time coach too.   And don't say Spurrier was washed up because he was far from it.  In his last year at Florida he was in the BCS and if Holtz hadn't retired when he did then SPurrier would likely now be the coach at LSU>

Nutts and Bolts

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 04, 2006, 09:06:53 am
Gus will be a HC at UA. The NEXT coach? We'll see. The next coach will have Gus on his staff...unless that coach is Gus himself.

Agree 100%
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

nwarazfan

No.  Gus will not be our next coach.  He's a fine football coach and I'm glad to have him.  But this is not CUSA or the WAC.  Nutt has torn down our program and its going to take an experienced MAJOR COLLEGE coach to rebuild it.  Maybe Gus gets the job after we are rebuilt by someone else.  This job is too big for him right now.

Talon

Quote from: 101st Hogborne on September 03, 2006, 11:00:37 pm
What if, after this year, HDN is fired and replaced by Gus?

Why wait until "after this year"?  Why not today?

nwarazfan

Quote from: Talon on September 04, 2006, 03:38:27 pm

Nutt should have been Crowed Sunday.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Talon on September 04, 2006, 03:38:27 pm

Because we'd have a hard time getting ready for Utah State with only one assistant coach.

PigKahuna

If we're going to hire a new coach, we need a top recruiter who can get talent into fayetteville.  that's problem number 1

Razorback_Z71

I wouldn't mind Gus being the head coach as long as he is allowed to send the rest of the coaching staff packing.  Reggie could be allowed to stay as long as he makes a commitment to take a more active role in recruiting.

Any move to remove nutt would be a move in the right direction.

pigmania

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on September 04, 2006, 11:47:54 am
Houston Nutt is the only coach that gives us a chance to have that break out year and stay here and possibly build a dynasty. No other coach would stay in Arkansas after winning 10 or more games.
I truly hope there is sarcasm in this comment, because if anyone believes that Numbnutts will build a dynasty, they need to have their heads examined. Maybe a dynasty of a losing program.

dana caldwell

no way. not even in this shambles.

that's why u won't see a HC change mid- or early-season no matter what happens. no one on this staff is ready. yep, u might have a force-fed "consultant" deal as with ford, but it won't be butch davis (his ego wouldn't allow it) or anyone who would be a reasonable replacement.

just going to have to suck it up, i guess, for the rest of this season. at that point, i like kragthorpe.

Yo Huckleberry

open the dad blamed wallet up, get Butch, give him $ to get John Blake & some NFL experienced asistants in here!