Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Gus be the next Hog Head Coach?

Started by 101st Hogborne, September 03, 2006, 11:00:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

101st Hogborne

What if, after this year, HDN is fired and replaced by Gus? Obviously, this would be unprecedented and the national media would have a field day with it.
I only bring this up due to JFB's obvious influence on Mustain being announced as the starter.
I think JFB see's Gus as the future of the Razorbacks. I know this has been kicked around here for months but this may be the first step to it actually happening.

tampahog

while GM would be an improvement, who would be our OC in that situation ?   I'd love him to take over as HC in a few years once he's developed some other assistants who can coach his philosophy but our greatest immediate need is for our best mind to be running the offense.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: tampahog on September 03, 2006, 11:05:14 pm
while GM would be an improvement, who would be our OC in that situation ?   I'd love him to take over as HC in a few years once he's developed some other assistants who can coach his philosophy but our greatest immediate need is for our best mind to be running the offense.
He would probably try to bring on Chris Wood, his old HS OC.  I think this is a huge IF at this point.  I would love for Gus to take over, but seriously doubt that he is ready next year.

CiriusPorker

No, Gus will be here for 4-5 years as an OC first...then we'll see what happens after that.  It's more likely that he'll be discovered by another big time school and move on from there.  He will accept this first because it diversifies his experience and the pay will likely be better - hence better for his family.

101st Hogborne

Quote from: CiriusPorker on September 03, 2006, 11:33:47 pm
No, Gus will be here for 4-5 years as an OC first...then we'll see what happens after that.  It's more likely that he'll be discovered by another big time school and move on from there.  He will accept this first because it diversifies his experience and the pay will likely be better - hence better for his family.

Ordinarily, I would agree. But......for some reason, I get the feeling that Gus' biggest fans are JFB and the Hog Mafia (Jones, Lindsey and the like). If JFB stays on this earth long enough, I don't know if he would let him get away but who knows?

Arkapigdiesel

I'd trust Coach Malzahn and who he deems to be qualified assistants -vs- trusting the judgement of Dale and the Murray State Mafia.

The worm is beginning to turn.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

WilsonHog

The answer to your question lies in one word.

Timing.

There are those in positions of authority within our athletic power structure (and who know football) who think VERY highly of Gus Malzahn. 

CiriusPorker

jackwalker

Here's something off the wall: if Nutt is gone after/during this season what about Louis Campbell as HC???
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

RealSmartGuy

Keys as OC would be a great choice, he has a real understanding of the run game

trufanofhogs

I know that Broyles has said more than once that Major College Head Coaching experience is a prerequisite for this job. The only time he deviated from this was in hiring Jack Crowe, and we all know how well that worked out. But, somehow I feel Gus is different. Sharp guy. Devoted Arkansan. He understands how we feel about things. Is that enough? I just don't know.

Flatline

I think Gus is a great coach.  I thought the offensive scheme was great during the game.  He did not have all the horses to run the show.  I think it would be a huge mistake at this point to even consider him for a head coaching position.  If Nutt goes this year they will have to hire a big name so that we will not fall off on the recruiting.  Gus will be a great one some day but it is too soon for that right now.  We have to get a great college or pro coach in here and get the ball going in right direction.  Gus is under contract and Broyles will probably tell the incoming coach that he would have to keep Gus.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: MLHGus is under contract and Broyles will probably tell the incoming coach that he would have to keep Gus.

Butch will be ok with that.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

billself4prez

When Steve Roberts leaves ASU for a better job, Gus will go over to Jonesboro and start the revolution there.  I said it first.

werehog

Not bloody likely. Go after Norm Chow, Pat Hill or Sarkisian. We need not only a name but a visionary as head coach who will be able to mine the tremendous talent pools of California, Florida and Texas.

JBoroHog

I agree with WilsonHog's word: timing. I feel Gus will be a head coach at a bcs school in his career. At Arkansas? could be. But timing will be everything. If they make a change before next year, it won't be Gus. I am a Gus fan and will closely follow his career. I respect the way he does his job, the way he prepares, and the way he handles himself. I think he will be successful as a college hc. But he might not be ready the first time the position opens up here even though he has the support of some "fairly important folks".

Oklahawg

Gus will be a HC at UA. The NEXT coach? We'll see. The next coach will have Gus on his staff...unless that coach is Gus himself.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogfan064

Why would a school like Arkansas that has hired big names like Danny Ford and Lou Holtz hire a national nobody like Gus?  We need someone with experience, not some local legend.   Amazing that some of you think hiring a guy who won at the the 1-AA wasn't enough, but you want to hire a guy who has done nothing but win a few highschool state titles in a state that is average at best in HS talent.   Gus has to prove himself before I'd want him as head coach.   

Do you Hog fans really think our program has fallen so far that our best option is a highschool coach.  Have we become Houston?   THe Hogs must go after a proven bigtime college coach. 

Hank351

In one word: NO.  At any sport I don't think Frank has ever hired a coach that didn't have D1 Head Coaching experience.  And there is no way he would break that trend with Gus or anybody that is a year out of the highschool ranks.  If HDN were to go you've gotta think we go after Butch, Jimmy Johnson, or try to steal an up and comer away from another university.

HogHillbilly

Not yet.................But it is coming if he proves himself this year
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

Hawgon

I am not willing to annoint him the savior of Arkansas football just yet.  For now it is enough to acknowlege that he is better than HDN.

hogfan064

Quote from: Hawgon on September 04, 2006, 09:30:17 am
I am not willing to annoint him the savior of Arkansas football just yet.  For now it is enough to acknowlege that he is better than HDN.

That hasn't even been proven yet.  HDN's accomplishments are better than Gus'.   Winning a Cotton Bowl and winning 1-AA conference championships are better than winning a state championship in HS, sorry Busriders but its true.

Hawgon

Quote from: hogfan064 on September 04, 2006, 09:33:38 am

That hasn't even been proven yet.  HDN's accomplishments are better than Gus'.   Winning a Cotton Bowl and winning 1-AA conference championships are better than winning a state championship in HS, sorry Busriders but its true.

Your grandmother is better than HDN.  The man just needs to leave now and get it done.

hogfan064

Quote from: Hawgon on September 04, 2006, 09:35:11 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on September 04, 2006, 09:33:38 am

That hasn't even been proven yet.  HDN's accomplishments are better than Gus'.   Winning a Cotton Bowl and winning 1-AA conference championships are better than winning a state championship in HS, sorry Busriders but its true.

Your grandmother is better than HDN.  The man just needs to leave now and get it done.

In no way am I saying keep Nutt.  I'm just saying don't hire an unproven guy as our head coach.   And Nutt's accomplishments are better than Gus'.  Thousands of men have won state titles in HS football, its not really that bid of a deal. 

Born

chiming in...

There is a very real example currently on the athletic coaching staff, of when Frank Broyles hired someone who did NOT have head coach expereience.   Frank promoted this guy to head coach from an assistant coach position, without any prior head coach experience.

The person?  John Mcdonnell

Frank promoted him to head track and crosscountry coach from the cross-country coach only position.

The rest is history.

Frank will promote Gus Malzahn to head coach from the OC position, once he establishes a track record of sorts of winning.

John Mcdonnell won 2 SWC cross-country titles in a row(?), then was promoted to head track coach.

Gus needs to post a similar mark, such as being in top 3 in SEC offensively or top 10 nationally.. then Frank will have the history to justifiy promoting Gus to head coach.

Oklahawg

Lost in all the conjecture is what the folks in charge think: JFB and Jim Lindsey (the most influential man not employed by the University) not only think Gus is a future NCAA HC, they think he is one of those special few coaches who change the college football landscape (Switzer, Bryant, Bowden, Stoops).

Does that change anyone's opinion of Gus? Maybe, maybe not. It should change your mind about what may be inevitable.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogfan064

Quote from: Born on September 04, 2006, 09:43:34 am
chiming in...

There is a very real example currently on the athletic coaching staff, of when Frank Broyles hired someone who did NOT have head coach expereience.   Frank promoted this guy to head coach from an assistant coach position, without any prior head coach experience.

The person?  John Mcdonnell

Frank promoted him to head track and crosscountry coach from the cross-country coach only position.

The rest is history.

Frank will promote Gus Malzahn to head coach from the OC position, once he establishes a track record of sorts of winning.

John Mcdonnell won 2 SWC cross-country titles in a row(?), then was promoted to head track coach.

Gus needs to post a similar mark, such as being in top 3 in SEC offensively or top 10 nationally.. then Frank will have the history to justifiy promoting Gus to head coach.

If this happens then Gus will have proven himself.   Until then though he doesn't have the qualifications.  Think about it, if your son was being recruited by Tommy Tubberville, Mark Richt, Steve Spurrier, and Bobby Bentley which name are you crossing off the list when you narrow it down to 3. 

idochog

The best scenario IMO is to throw a boatload of cash for Butch Davis to coach us 3-5 years.  He likes Gus and would keep him and let Gus be mentored by a guy who really knows football.  Once we get turned around, Butch takes a more lucrative position at another school and Gus is named new head coach.

The other bonus to having Butch is we could get rid of the mafia and get some real D1 asst coaches on staff.

I love Jesus!

pigfoot

Not until he proves himself at the Division 1 level.  Right now, his resume reads:  "Top-notch high school coach with one game experience as OC at Div. 1 level".  I believe he will be a Div. 1 head coach somewhere, someday.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

Yo Huckleberry

We've certainly done stupider things than naming a HS coach as HC of what should be a major college FB program, but NO, I don't even think w'll do something THAT ridiculous or desperate.

excoach

Quote from: abostian on September 03, 2006, 11:15:05 pm
while GM would be an improvement, who would be our OC in that situation ?   I'd love him to take over as HC in a few years once he's developed some other assistants who can coach his philosophy but our greatest immediate need is for our best mind to be running the offense.
He would probably try to bring on Chris Wood, his old HS OC.  I think this is a huge IF at this point.  I would love for Gus to take over, but seriously doubt that he is ready next year.
Not the next HC, but soon.

aristotle

I agree with the "timing" response posted earlier. If Dale does not control the dissention among the ranks of his staff (Mafia vs Gus factions) that have been rumored to exist and now seem to be evident....well, it is certainly plausible that Gus is named "interim" coach before the year is up. If Dale lasts out the season, winning 7 games ( plus or minus 1 ), he'll "resign". Look for Butch to possibly come in at HC and cultivate Gus and his offense for a while. That opinion of course.

Did anyone else think Dale's appearance in that press conference was awfully similar to that when he let Roy Wittke go? I don't think Dale would make a good poker player.

excoach

Quote from: aristotle on September 04, 2006, 10:18:35 am
I agree with the "timing" response posted earlier. If Dale does not control the dissention among the ranks of his staff (Mafia vs Gus factions) that have been rumored to exist and now seem to be evident....well, it is certainly plausible that Gus is named "interim" coach before the year is up. If Dale lasts out the season, winning 7 games ( plus or minus 1 ), he'll "resign". Look for Butch to possibly come in at HC and cultivate Gus and his offense for a while. That opinion of course.

Did anyone else think Dale's appearance in that press conference was awfully similar to that when he let Roy Wittke go? I don't think Dale would make a good poker player.

This could get ugly before it's all over. Nutt can't hide his actions from a Nat'l tv audience.

eehog

Quote from: 101st Hogborne on September 03, 2006, 11:00:37 pm
What if, after this year, HDN is fired and replaced by Gus? Obviously, this would be unprecedented and the national media would have a field day with it.
I only bring this up due to JFB's obvious influence on Mustain being announced as the starter.
I think JFB see's Gus as the future of the Razorbacks. I know this has been kicked around here for months but this may be the first step to it actually happening.

Wasn't JFB roaming the sidelines around half-time anyway. I've heard he's the reason that MM got any playing time. Every one of the 76K people coming knew we might get beat; but they wanted to see MM play and succeed - and in my opinion - cept for 1 freshman mistake - he DID succeed. Also, they didn't come to see the Razorbacks get embarrassed. And I believe we were embarrassed. Last year we didn't have the talent to compete... this year we had the talent - it just wasn't played. I say kudos to MM, Ben Cleveland, DWilliams, etc., and think whomever was responsible for leaving Johnson in after the 1st Qtr and Jones in after 2 fumbles needs to be very ashamed of very poor coaching. I know coaches like Ronnie Peacock in Rogers, and Barry Lunny would not put up with those type of mistakes in high school - don't think Gus M. would either - so I feel HDN is to blame.  I hope HDN's move of RoJo to wide out and starting MM (even if it is JFB or GM making the call) makes up for a little of the stupid coaching in the past game. If we have another embarrasing game like that with USC; I might have to start rooting for Texas! [Just kidding!]. No, it is a team sport - and mistakes were made by both the players and the coaches; but the coaches are supposed to be teaching the players and when you screw up multiple times (i.e. RoJo and FJones) bench the guy, explain to him what he did wrong, and tell him when he gets his head out of his butt and there's another opportunity for him to be helpful - he might get to go back in.

Well this is getting long - so I'll stop now. Basically I blame the loss Saturday on the team; but blame the embarrassment on HDN. Nuff said.

aristotle

Quote from: excoach on September 04, 2006, 10:22:35 am
Quote from: aristotle on September 04, 2006, 10:18:35 am

This could get ugly before it's all over. Nutt can't hide his actions from a Nat'l tv audience.

Nutt wears his emotions on his sleeve, always has. That is his personality. But he better take care of business because if this does get "ugly"..... High School coach to Head Coach in the SEC in one year may make some crazy headlines across the nation's top sports editions. Even if with the "interim" title.

James K. Pork

This has been done before.  Notre Dame hired Gerry Faust from Cincinnati Moeller.  He was in over his head.

He may need time working with an operation that actually functions more like a football staff than a dysfunctional soap opera.

idochog

Quote from: James K. Pork on September 04, 2006, 10:30:49 am
This has been done before.  Notre Dame hired Gerry Faust from Cincinnati Moeller.  He was in over his head.

He may need time working with an operation that actually functions more like a football staff than a dysfunctional soap opera.

I agree, I still say someone like Butch would be great to learn under, b/c I dont think you can learn much w/ HDNs dysfunctional organization.

HDN operates in panic or crisis mode constantly.
I love Jesus!

James K. Pork

Quote from: idochog on September 04, 2006, 10:34:18 am
Quote from: James K. Pork on September 04, 2006, 10:30:49 am

I agree, I still say someone like Butch would be great to learn under, b/c I dont think you can learn much w/ HDNs dysfunctional organization.

HDN operates in panic or crisis mode constantly.

I'm with you.  Someone like Butch Davis would allow him to see just how a professionally-managed operation handles itself on and off the field.

There is value in getting first-hand knowledge in how it shouldn't be done.  But I'd like to see him work with a first-rate head coach fronting a competent organization.

Yoko Oinko

NO NO NO.  Take heed in what Orville Henry said 9 years ago when Nutt was hired.  The Hogs need a hired gun, not an up and comer or a project!!  Start looking at Norm Chow or Bobby Petrino, not a HS coach or a member of the current staff..

Unfortunately at this point, the program is in such a condition, that the Hogs may not attract a quality candidate no matter how much $$ you throw at him.
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

bighog1015

Quote from: jackwalker on September 03, 2006, 11:53:30 pm
Here's something off the wall: if Nutt is gone after/during this season what about Louis Campbell as HC???

i like this idea because the man has been around the game longer than anyone else we have on the staff. hes very qualified i have actually met him and he seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders. and unlike Nutt he actually has common sense.

pigfoot

Quote from: John Basedow on September 04, 2006, 10:43:44 am
NO NO NO.  Take heed in what Orville Henry said 9 years ago when Nutt was hired.  The Hogs need a hired gun, not an up and comer or a project!!  Start looking at Norm Chow or Bobby Petrino, not a HS coach or a member of the current staff..

Unfortunately at this point, the program is in such a condition, that the Hogs may not attract a quality candidate no matter how much $$ you throw at him.

There's wisdom in those words, John.   +1
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

aristotle

No established coach is going to leave a top program to come here. Those days are over, or at least temporarily suspended. We throw enough money around, so the salary shouldn't be a problem. The expectation is high, but that is why we need a proven man. To me, Butch is the logical choice. His contract runs out this year from the Browns, and he is just waiting in the wings. It makes sense. But with our program lately, what makes sense seems to be what they fight against. Maybe they're starting to see the light.

101st Hogborne

I disagree.....I think we are a prime team for a Major name. A HS POY at QB, Potential Heisman at RB? I'm sure a few "Names" would consider this team worthy of taking to the next step.

Yoko Oinko

Quote from: bighog1015 on September 04, 2006, 10:47:02 am
Quote from: jackwalker on September 03, 2006, 11:53:30 pm

i like this idea because the man has been around the game longer than anyone else we have on the staff. hes very qualified i have actually met him and he seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders. and unlike Nutt he actually has common sense.

What do you have against success?  There's a reason why he hasn't been a head coach.  Ditto with Joe Kines.

This program needs a complete makeover.
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

bro.coach

Quote from: Hank351 on September 04, 2006, 09:26:23 am
In one word: NO.  At any sport I don't think Frank has ever hired a coach that didn't have D1 Head Coaching experience.  And there is no way he would break that trend with Gus or anybody that is a year out of the highschool ranks.  If HDN were to go you've gotta think we go after Butch, Jimmy Johnson, or try to steal an up and comer away from another university.

In any other situation, rationale like this is sound.  But someone like Gus changes all the rules.

Yoko Oinko

Quote from: 101st Hogborne on September 04, 2006, 10:52:27 am

I disagree.....I think we are a prime team for a Major name. A HS POY at QB, Potential Heisman at RB? I'm sure a few "Names" would consider this team worthy of taking to the next step.

No established recruiting base.
Very limited SEC success since 1992.
Odd team out when there is success...Win the SEC west and end up in lower level bowls in 1995 and 2002.
Meddling AD.
Probably in the wrong conference to start with. (That's a whole different debate.)
No national exposure or respect.

This place has been sucking hind-tit for too long.

Choctaw Hog

Nutt has had.  Obviously, there would be a steep learning curve and mistakes would be made along the way.  However, I think the biggest difference between Gus and Nutt, other than the obvious poise, mannerisims, organization, etc., is that Gus is the type of coach that does not believe he knows everything and is always lookin for ways to improve. 

Conversely, Nutt believes he knows everything there is to know about football when in in reality, he doesn't know much more than an average Jr. High coach.

jap66

Quote from: CiriusPorker on September 03, 2006, 11:33:47 pm

This makes more sense to me. He is probably the main one if not only one that would be retained if Nutt would go.

If we should have a bad season and Nutt goes, reality is that Gus will be a big part of the loosing season.
Its not often that a looser is elevated to replace another looser. When this happens the one doing the promoting needs to be evaluated.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

RazorHawg16

Houston Nutt is the only coach that gives us a chance to have that break out year and stay here and possibly build a dynasty. No other coach would stay in Arkansas after winning 10 or more games.