Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How good is Booty?

Started by hogfan1, August 23, 2006, 01:52:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan1

Seems like one of his brothers was a pretty good WR for LSU, but his other brother was a pretty lousey QB for them.  He is an Shreveport Evangal QB, and the other bigtime QB from there was Berlin, who, though better than anyone we had, never seemed to live up to the hype.  I don't think Booty got near the hype that Berlin got either, which may be because he left school early because the coach (his dad?) got fired.  Anyway, all this makes me wonder if he is really going to be that great.  Though they do have another highly touted guy behind him.   

All this just got me thinking (really hoping) that he may come out and stink it up on 9/2.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogfan1 on August 23, 2006, 01:52:52 pm
Seems like one of his brothers was a pretty good WR for LSU, but his other brother was a pretty lousey QB for them.  He is an Shreveport Evangal QB, and the other bigtime QB from there was Berlin, who, though better than anyone we had, never seemed to live up to the hype.  I don't think Booty got near the hype that Berlin got either, which may be because he left school early because the coach (his dad?) got fired.  Anyway, all this makes me wonder if he is really going to be that great.  Though they do have another highly touted guy behind him.  

All this just got me thinking (really hoping) that he may come out and stink it up on 9/2.
Booty is usually good but if it stinks you have problems.

Seriously he was a 5* out of HS and has been under Pete C's wing for the last three years learning form Matt L so he can't be that bad.  His O-Line and WR group will not hurt his numbers.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

311Hog

Quote from: BeoPig on August 23, 2006, 01:55:30 pm

Seriously he was a 5* out of HS and has been under Pete C's wing for the last three years learning form Matt L so he can't be that bad.  His O-Line and WR group will not hurt his numbers.

dunno about you but booty is always good and if it stinks its time to take a shower together.

mbgrulz

Quote from: BeoPig on August 23, 2006, 01:55:30 pm

im not sold on being under carroll's wing as a good thing. norm chow-good. learining from ML-good. being under a guy who thinks lindale white needs more touches than bush against Texas-not so good.

HogasaurusRex

Finally a topic that I can actually lend some experience to.  I saw both of the Booty boys in high school twice a year.  I did color commentary for West Monroe (5A 6 time LA state champs and National Champs 2 times in the last 8 years)  His brother was more of a natural athlete than Josh is.  Josh is a pro-style quarterback with a strong arm.  He's no dummy and could read defenses coming outta high school.  His old man was his coach @ Evangel and I would compare him to Malzalan in offensive philosophy so Josh can run the spread as well as drop back.   His weakness is his durability and overthrowing when pressured.  If the Hogs can pressure him and knock him around he'll probably rush things.  In the state championship game w/West Monroe vs. Evangel in the Superdome he wasn't really pressured and pick them apart in the secondary.  Now, keep in mind this was when he was in High School so we'll see........ :-\

arkbengal

"Seems like one of his brothers was a pretty good WR for LSU, but his other brother was a pretty lousey QB for them. "

Correct, sir. But, young J.D. is supposed to be the best of the bunch and being out there for his 3rd (or 4th?) year won't hurt either.
BTW, interesting story on that family if you haven't heard it. The Dad (Johnny) played QB at Woodlawn High/Shreveport which was the HS of Terry Bradshaw and Joe Ferguson among others. Played college ball (QB) at Miss State. All the kids played D-1 ball - Abram and Josh at LSU and now JD at USC. About 3-4 years ago, there was a big blowup with the staff at Evangel where Dad was coaching (notice they haven't been the same since) and JD immediately left there (during the Spring) and went directly to USC and enrolled since he already had enough credits to graduate. I think his Dad knew someone out there and they were pissed at LSU over the Abram/Josh situations.
In any case, I expect him to be pretty good - maybe not Leinhart good, but good enough.
That said, good luck on the 2nd !

Melhog

As I recall, Booty nearly beat out Leinart for the starting job when Leinart was a Jr.  Leinart got the start and the rest is history. Other than game experience, I bet there is not much of a drop off.  Sanchez is also a 5 star QB and he is a redshirt freshman. Had similar accolades as MM when he came out of HS two years ago.

hogsNbeer

yea, many were asking the same question about Leinart when Palmer left....  Booty has had a couple of years under Leinart, and Kiffin and Sarkisian....... Kiffin coached under Norm Chow, and has taken Chow's offensive style and hasn't looked back........   Booty will be good..... and if you want to dream that he stinks it up or doesnt' play well-- then you go ahead but you will have a rude awakening come Sept 2......  Southern Cal is not like the Hogs, they don't use excuses for losing or for passes when they lose key players-- they just replace them or RELOAD.....

Melhog

Oh yeah, and apparently Booty has a great arm, unlike Leinart.  We'll see soon enough for ourselves.

Hawgbrew

Booty will be good.  There should be no doubt about it.  But how long has it been since he has started a game?  He will probably be more than a little nervous starting his first game in 5 years and make no mistake it will be a very hostile environment.

bald hog

QuoteThe Dad (Johnny) played QB at Woodlawn High/Shreveport which was the HS of Terry Bradshaw and Joe Ferguson among others.

Johnny Booty played freshman ball at Arkansas when Joe Ferguson was a sophomore. He transfered the next year.

Pork Twain

I just don't see the QB letdown that some do.  DO I think he is ML?  No, ut I don't think he is the next bust either.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

HogHillbilly

Uhhhh........He's ok I guess............He's no RJ
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

Hawgon

He was at least as heralded as Mustain out of highschool and he has been a back-up in the most successful system in college football for four years.  I'd rather be in their shoes than ours.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawgon on August 23, 2006, 03:09:26 pm
He was at least as heralded as Mustain out of highschool and he has been a back-up in the most successful system in college football for four years.  I'd rather be in their shoes than ours.
Tell me about it.  I can't believe how many forget what a prize he was when USC landed him.  Since then he has only been in Pete C's system for three years.

HogHillbilly

Quote from: BeoPig on August 23, 2006, 03:11:53 pm
Tell me about it.  I can't believe how many forget what a prize he was when USC landed him.  Since then he has only been in Pete C's system for three years.

You're right he has been in the system for 3 years.............But he hasn't used the system in 3 years either.............I don't think he will be impressive until mid-season...........By then, we will have handed them a loss..........
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

Burnt Orange Sucks

I agree......
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

Pork Twain

Quote from: HogHillbilly on August 23, 2006, 03:14:41 pm
Quote from: BeoPig on August 23, 2006, 03:11:53 pm

You're right he has been in the system for 3 years.............But he hasn't used the system in 3 years either.............I don't think he will be impressive until mid-season...........By then, we will have handed them a loss..........
I think you have come down with a bad case of wishful thinking...  I think USC might actually have the next QB in line ready to play when one graduates.

HognotinMemphis

Even bad booty is good, isn't it?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

THROWITDEEP

August 23, 2006, 03:27:17 pm #20 Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 03:31:20 pm by THROWITDEEP
I have seen that Booty live and it is the best Booty out of the Bootys I have seen.  I would rather have Booty over Johnson or Dick.

...But my wife disagrees.

Patch

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 23, 2006, 03:19:29 pm
Even bad booty is good, isn't it?

Not speaking from personal experience, but I would think there is bad booty out there.

...Unless of course your wasted.

Hawgasaurus

Some "Booty" is so good you could throw it up in the air and it would turn into a ray of sunshine!
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

Landonhog

The only negatives I've heard:
- He's spent quite a bit of time on the ground, due to that nasty grass monster
- He's had dozens of passes batted down so far this fall...
- He may be a little nervous in the pocket

This is just from what I've read on their scout.com practice reports, which if they are anything like ours; they should be relatively sugar coated... :razorback:

HatfieldHog

At some point, USC, and their extreemly successful recruitment of QB's has got to hit a bump in their road.  Miami was called QB U!  But, they have hit a bump ever since their Last National Championship game.  Sure, I hope that they derail this year.  I can't expect it, but I can hope for it.  If Booty is as good as Linehart was when he took the reins, we don't have a chance!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

HatfieldHog

I think that our Defensive strategy should be to expect, that if he is standing in the pocket with 3 seconds, that we are gonna get beat.  I would bring the house.  We probably can't cover their recievers with double coverage any way!

Bring the House!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

mbgrulz

at least? did he take the triple crown on NPOY awards? if you check rivals, he is listed as an urrated. dont get stars in your eyes, USC is not superhuman! i hope are players arent as chickensh@#t as some of us are. telling yourself how good they are and how much less you have than them is the quickest way to get ran off the field. we're just as good, just as fast, just as capable. respect USC, but let's quit bowing down to them.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: mbgrulz on August 23, 2006, 03:43:38 pm
at least? did he take the triple crown on NPOY awards? if you check rivals, he is listed as an urrated. dont get stars in your eyes, USC is not superhuman! i hope are players arent as chickensh@#t as some of us are. telling yourself how good they are and how much less you have than them is the quickest way to get ran off the field. we're just as good, just as fast, just as capable. respect USC, but let's quit bowing down to them.

Somebody hit a nerve...

arkbengal

I suspect, if the case is that he was unrated, it's because he left high school early and went directly to USC in the Spring. So he was not around during recruiting season since he was already enrolled in school.

NATEHOGG216

I have seen a couple of bootys that I didn't want but haven't had a booty I didn't like
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

HatfieldHog

Dude, they hung 70 on us last year....

See ya

hogsNbeer

Quote from: HatfieldHog on August 23, 2006, 03:50:51 pm

Dude, they hung 70 on us last year....

See ya

Demoralizing!

HatfieldHog

I hate to admit it, but sometime during the 3rd quarter, I was so embarrased for being a hog fan, that I almost felt sorry for Nutt, down on that sideline. 

I said "almost."

See ya

hogsNbeer

Quote from: HatfieldHog on August 23, 2006, 04:02:19 pm
I hate to admit it, but sometime during the 3rd quarter, I was so embarrased for being a hog fan, that I almost felt sorry for Nutt, down on that sideline. 

I said "almost."

See ya

Dude, I was at a point there where I was laughing.... Couldn't help it.... We looked like a monkey f***ing a football.......... Very sad, that a D1 team could ever look that pitiful....

hog caller

he had back surgery in the spring so let sick olu on him sick em stick em and make em scream

LSUfan20

One thing about John David Booty, is that he is the first player in the history of college football to graduate high school a year early to play in college.  His father was the QB's coach at Evangel, a strict fundamentalist Christian school, and he decided to go ahead and graduate early when his dad was fired for a religious disagreement before his anticipated senior season.   

Josh, his older brother was the #1 rated high school quarterback in the country his senior year in 1994.  He still holds, I believe, the national record for career passing yards with something like 14,000.  But he went on to play baseball, returning to LSU in 1999.  That year he set the SEC record for interceptions in a season with 19, but the next year he was ok, making second team all-SEC.  But he was prone to bad decisions (he threw the pick-six to open the game against you guys in 2000), his teammates hated and did not play hard for him, and he bolted for the draft after the 2000 season when it was clear he would not be the starter his final year at LSU.  His brother Abram, the WR, was here for three and a half years and quit midway through Saban's first season, after Nick wouldn't put up with him.  He had reliable hands, but he was soft and afraid to take any kind of hit.

Many Evangel's QB's are dismissed as being simply a product of the system, but I believe John David will be better than his brother Josh, as well as Brock Berlin.  He has a great arm, which Brock did not, and has the luxury of three years experience under his belt running that offense and tuning his skills under some of the best offensive minds in college football.  And he has looked solid when he did play, albeit during garbage time.  I wouldn't expect their offense to drop off that much this year, and look for him even to be a Heisman candidate in 2007.

LSUfan20

Quote from: PorkOpine on August 23, 2006, 05:10:22 pm
Religious disagreement?  Wasn't John David Booty fired for getting some booty on the side?

I'm not sure what it was, but I came to understand it had something to do with he not being in line with the school's religious fundamentalism.  On a side note, he's gone on to build up another small program, where the youngest Booty is the starting QB, and it's said he's as good as any of them were.

PigNewton

The question should be how good is our D-Line compared to their O-Line this year. Even an average Booty will look like Joe Montana if you give him 6 seconds to throw it. In this area, let's hope we've improved a lot from last year and they've lost a few people and are not as good. Does anyone know how many returning OL they have?

PigKahuna

SCcufflinks

Religious disagreement?  Wasn't John David Booty fired for getting some booty on the side?

It's pretty weird story.  Real Jimmy Swaggert type bs.  Basically, Booty's dad opened up his own home ministry.  A lot of Evangel parishioners started attending Booty's home ministry, and the Chancellor at Evangel Denny Duron felt he was losing his influence in community as Booty's home grown ministry was in direct competition with his own.  Booty's dad was supposedly blackballed, asked to take a sabbatiical, and then fired as quarterbacks coach...all this when Evangel was top of world.  Assistants left, players transferred.  It was head coach of Evangel who was implicated for having sexual relations with a student. 

bald hog

QuoteWho was the head coach that got busted?

Denny Duron

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: bald hog on August 23, 2006, 06:01:08 pm
QuoteWho was the head coach that got busted?

Denny Duron

I don't believe that is correct.
Denny is the Pastor.  I do not believe he is also the coach.  He has been a college coach before, but I do not believe he was the coach in question.
Retired Radio Host

cobb44585

didnt feel like reading all the post so if this has been posted already i apologize.....but from reading the practice and scrimmage reports booty wasn't getting it done.  He was very inconsistent in his completions.  I even read on a USC forum where some of the fans were a little concerned.  Coach PC stated in a report that he was concerned as well.....The last scrimmage he did better because it was against a scout team D.

hawaiianhogster

ESPN.com has a few things written about him.

Zen_Hog

Of course Booty is good. If he wasn't USC wouldn't of had recruited him.

bythelake

It looks like there are some genetic factors that are prevelant in the Booty family.  Simply put,  It's all in the booty.

Reaganite

August 23, 2006, 07:35:16 pm #47 Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 07:37:06 pm by Reaganite
"How good is Booty?"

This one looks pretty good:

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: LSUfan20 on August 23, 2006, 05:20:17 pm

I'm not sure what it was, but I came to understand it had something to do with he not being in line with the school's religious fundamentalism.  On a side note, he's gone on to build up another small program, where the youngest Booty is the starting QB, and it's said he's as good as any of them were.

Well...let's bring that Booty to Arkansas!
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

RBZippy

Quote from: PigNewton on August 23, 2006, 05:36:33 pm
The question should be how good is our D-Line compared to their O-Line this year. Even an average Booty will look like Joe Montana if you give him 6 seconds to throw it. In this area, let's hope we've improved a lot from last year and they've lost a few people and are not as good. Does anyone know how many returning OL they have?

It's Good News - Bad News...

Only 2 returning starters - an AA left tackle (Sam Baker - his dad is commissioner of the Arena Football League) and an AA caliber center (Ryan Kalil - 3 year starter - Senior) .  The right tackle (Kyle Williams) is a 5th year senior.  The right guard (Chilo Rachal) is a RS Sophomore.  Left guard is still being contested - either Jeff Byers (National HS POY from Colorado) who started 4 or 5 games as a true freshman (out all last year after hip surgery) or Drew Radovich (RS Junior). 

This is as good an offensive line as the Hogs will see this year...