Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RATE YOUR FOOTBALL KNOWLEDGE

Started by FLKeysGuy, August 16, 2006, 06:42:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you rate your knowledge of football (x's and o's not trivia)

Expert (coach/player level)
Above Average (far more than the average fan)
Average Football Fan
Limited Knowledge (but getting smarter via Hogville)
Nimrod ("I don't have a clue... I just like to argue!")

FLKeysGuy

Since we've had all these spirited discussions lately, I thought it would be fun to post a poll that allows you to rate how much you know about football (X's and O's -- not football trivia). 

Feel free to elaborate if you wish.   8)

Sao Ming

As long as a TD still = 7 points, consider me an expert.

SquirrelMasterFunk

Quote from: Sao Ming on August 16, 2006, 06:47:35 pm

Since a TD only = 6 points what does that make you them?  ??? ;)
:razorback:
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

Pork Twain

Can't believe I didn't catch that.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Sao Ming

Quote from: cbad on August 16, 2006, 06:48:41 pm

LOL - no one gets my sense of humor. (inserted sniffle emoticon)

RazorWire

... and time , OK class put down your paper and pencil

Big Papa Satan

"Nimrod ("I don't have a clue... I just like to argue!")" - Otherwise known as the "Fatty McGee" option.

RazorWire

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on August 16, 2006, 07:01:11 pm
"Nimrod ("I don't have a clue... I just like to argue!")" - Otherwise known as the "Fatty McGee" option.

You should PM him that , you know damn well he ain't reading this board  ;D

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

CoachJ

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: RazorWire on August 16, 2006, 07:20:52 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on August 16, 2006, 07:20:17 pm
What is a football?

Hows yer arse ?

Clean as a whistle.  In fact...I can whistle you something now if you would like.
Retired Radio Host

PIGINAPOKE

The first play my pop warner team ran in 1964 in Fullerton Calif was a smoke draw. Followed by a student body right.The first play I Had tossed my way at free saftey in H.S. was a Bomb..Makes you think about Nutt don't it?
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Izual65

It would be sweet if there was a test on the internet that could tell us objectively...I just might start looking.

Pork Twain

Quote from: KEYS on August 16, 2006, 07:15:36 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on August 16, 2006, 07:01:11 pm

Actually, I originally had the last category named "GUV" but I decided that might be a bit harsh. ;)
The more I hear from him the more I think that might be right on.

EastMemphisHog

I might just make that my signature....Good stuff

moehog

I rated myself above average because I played both high school and small college. I was an assistant football coach for a year but a basketball man, which i also played in high school and 1 year at a juco.
** example 1) i feel i can break down the princeton offense which is dictated on where the pass goes. usually to either the high post which means everything is run off where the passer goes about 15 different options, counters, etc.; the wing - which is what i run as my secondary stuff - back cut by opposite top man, flair screen from high post on original passer, cut down the lane by post. - 3 options on one pass.; and low post passer screens on elbow, backcuts, top side guard pop out for shot. of course  it usually came down to a back cut or flare screen, and there is always the square where the high post pops to center of court, pass is made and both other top players either screen down or use screens, again someone usually back cuts. a great offense but most feel it involves tremendous amount of concentration and ability to run "plays"  -  it doesnt. I would have to admit when i had good players we played at a high level with it. With less talented team we were able to compete and beat some teams we shouldnt have on talent.
2) I coached volleyball for a year not knowing a thing other than watching it on tv. or playing on the beach or in the backyard. I never figured the movements out. not all year. don't know if it was the 6 players but i never could get the correct rotation and why they were going where. thank goodness the girls did. they had a winning season despite very little input from me.

I guess my point is some of think we know it because we played it but to take a team from scratch, which i have done many times in basketball,  most have no idea except the finished product.

The reason i like Gus, besides being a high school guy, is I have a similar philosophy in basketball. I now coach some athletic teams but before coached a group of small, white, slow kids who I felt if we played the same style everyone else did, we were beat because the team that had better players would win 9 out of 10 games. the only way i felt i had to compete was to play a different style, which we do - fast as possible every possession. we only want 3 pt shots or layups. possible with the Princeton stuff. Gus is bringing something a little different to the table. Not the plays but the "style". there is a big difference. He did not invent football. We all borrow from something. But while I support Nutt and Staff, I like the moves by Gus the best. Hurry up, take what the defense gives u.
"There is no hope for the satisfied man."

CiriusPorker

Quote from: Sao Ming on August 16, 2006, 06:58:28 pm

LOL - no one gets my sense of humor. (inserted sniffle emoticon)

I think someone's tryin to cover their tracks...

ciriusly speaking...

Hugehogsfan

I rated myself average.  I watch a lot, A LOT, of football and study it constantly.  Never played other than when I was younger, but I don't think that I know patterns and formations as well as a coach.  I would put most of us in that category, no matter what we would like to think.  When I speak, I speak as a fan of the university that I love. 

MrSpook1352

Hogville where the men are men, the women are women and all the football fans (think they) are above average. ;)

John Futrall

Quote from: KEYS on August 16, 2006, 06:50:16 pm

LOL!!!  ;D

Classic.

Good thing for me a FG is still worth 2 points!!

CiriusPorker

I rate myself as average...and piggy back off of the knowledge of others.  Why re-invent the wheel?

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: CiriusPorker on August 16, 2006, 08:39:21 pm
I rate myself as average...and piggy back off of the knowledge of others.  Why re-invent the wheel?

I put myself at 'average' too.  If I need any more knowledge than that, I know some 'experts' I can ask.  ;)

CiriusPorker

Quote from: KEYS on August 16, 2006, 08:42:46 pm

I put myself at 'average' too.  If I need any more knowledge than that, I know some 'experts' I can ask.  ;)

as you might guess I hang out with our resident expert...ugly uncle ... a lot.

TuckFexas

average when it comes to football, which is why I lay low in MMQB and just read most of the time. come on over to the Tavern, I'm an expert over there.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: CiriusPorker on August 16, 2006, 08:44:27 pm

Anytime uu is within 10' of you, you automatically become "Above Average"! 8)

CiriusPorker

Quote from: KEYS on August 16, 2006, 08:49:31 pm
Quote from: CiriusPorker on August 16, 2006, 08:44:27 pm

Anytime uu is within 10' of you, you automatically become "Above Average"! 8)

..not just in knowledge but in looks ;)

Hog Ma n Pop

I don't know a lot but a least we tied France.
"If I had a Prozac right now the size of Alabama I would chew that fu*ker till dawn." - Phyllis from Mulga

CiriusPorker

Quote from: Hog Ma n Pop on August 16, 2006, 08:55:25 pm
I don't know a lot but a least we tied France.

WHat???

that's crazy...dude, we tied Antartica!

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: uglyuncle on August 16, 2006, 07:20:17 pm
What is a football?

I think it's that sport where you kick that black and white round ball around the field...
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Hog Ma n Pop

Yeah, but they actually scored for us twice feeling sorry for us. ;D
"If I had a Prozac right now the size of Alabama I would chew that fu*ker till dawn." - Phyllis from Mulga

excoach

I think 14 years of coaching would qualify me as an expert.

Love those Hogs

I have been around football all my life, but I am still "average" in the knowledge of it all.  Seems like it keeps getting more advanced.  I was an All State Quarterback in High School, but back then, we didn't pass but 4 or 5 times a game.  Most of the time it was just take the snap and run like Hell.  Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out how to run faster than someone else.
Hogs 4 Life!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: excoach on August 16, 2006, 09:18:18 pm
I think 14 years of coaching would qualify me as an expert.

Yes it does!

excoach

Love those Hogs

Hogs 4 Life!

MM-gohogs

August 16, 2006, 09:34:03 pm #37 Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 11:53:49 pm by MM-gohogs
well i consider myself an expert or dang near it, in my mid 20's, currently, i played high school football and enjoy the subtleties of an illegal formation or illegal motion, stuff like eligible receivers on the line of scrimmage, that stuff        if keys is who i've heard speculation of his identity, i think i would be a legitimate assistant in his future endevours, if any

and yeah as long as two touchdowns three extra points and a safety is still 17 points i am most definitely an expert

go hogs
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

excoach

Quote from: MM-gohogs on August 16, 2006, 09:34:03 pm
well i consider myself an expert or dang near it, in my mid 20's, currently, i can played high school football and enjoy the subtleties of an illegal formation or illegal motion, stuff like eligible receivers on the line of scrimmage, that stuff        if keys is who i've heard speculation of his identity, i think i would be a legitimate assistant in his future endevours, if any

and yeah as long as two touchdowns three extra points and a safety is still 17 points i am most definitely an expert

go hogs

if your in your mid 20's how are you eligible to play high school football?  just curious.

beatnikluv

I voted average, but in some circles (mainly female-majorities) I might be an expert ;)

Hugehogsfan

Not just eligible to play, "i can played" high school football.  He is still in High School and in his 20's.  I mean if you honestly look at it, you excoach can say you are above or expert level when it comes to football.  The rest of us don't recognize the small things that you don't overlook. 

excoach

Quote from: Hugehogsfan on August 16, 2006, 09:47:09 pm
Not just eligible to play, "i can played" high school football.  He is still in High School and in his 20's.  I mean if you honestly look at it, you excoach can say you are above or expert level when it comes to football.  The rest of us don't recognize the small things that you don't overlook. 

it use to be if you turned age 19 before a certain date you were ineligible. I guess in some places that rule is no longer valid.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: KEYS on August 16, 2006, 11:24:09 pm

I'll see your  :razorback:  and raise you  :razorback:  :razorback:
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

HognotinMemphis

I'm not  a Michelin 3 star chef but I know a good Poussins à la provençale when I eat it...don't need to know how to make it to know it's as it should be.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

VoR

Quote from: PorkOpine on August 16, 2006, 08:32:56 pm
Damn, Moe.  You ever heard of Readers Digest?  They have a condensed version of most topics.

+1, I may not agree with you on many subjects, but man you hit that nail on the head dead center.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: gmb_79 on August 16, 2006, 11:31:05 pm

Well... I'll see your  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback: and raise you  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback: 8)

beatnikluv

Quote from: KEYS on August 17, 2006, 09:41:30 am
Quote from: gmb_79 on August 16, 2006, 11:31:05 pm

Well... I'll see your  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback: and raise you  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback: 8)

I'll see your :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback: 8) and raise you

LA HAWG

Man your killing me with these pictures when I don't expect them.  I am at work man.  :o

beatnikluv

WindyCityHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 16, 2006, 11:32:45 pm
I'm not  a Michelin 3 star chef but I know a good Poussins à la provençale when I eat it...don't need to know how to make it to know it's as it should be.

Well said.

I'm just average in the area...

What impresses me the most is those that are well-versed in the Recruiting area.....that takes a lot of time and some doing. 

If you can name the starting QB for Fayetteville HS without having to look it up, then hats off to you.

Xs and Os....that's different.  There are many here with a high level of understanding...hats off to you as well.