Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Couple of Questions From a Trojan

Started by mbtrojan, August 15, 2006, 05:01:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mbtrojan

Looking forward to this trip....should be a great game! 

Thanks to all of you who gave me hotel advice a few months back.  Our group of 10 is staying at the Ramada in Lowell (let me know if the Super 8 in Springdale is a better bet).  Our tickets are in Section 111...can you point me to a stadium map so I see if these are any good?

Would love some recomendations on what to do Friday night in Fayetteville...want to try and get the "night before the game" environment and try some BBQ.  We were planning on going to the stadium about noon to tailgate...any suggestions where we can eat and have some drinks in Fayetteville before heading over to the game....looking for gameday environment.

Thanks again for your help...look forward to meeting some Hogs on our trip.

HOGLUVIN

The Ramada youre at is better. Just plan on stopping by the Hogville.net tailgate, for beer on the way in, and hopefully a cup of humble pie on the way out!

Luvin

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: mbtrojan on August 15, 2006, 05:01:43 pm

Thanks to all of you who gave me hotel advice a few months back.  Our group of 10 is staying at the Ramada in Lowell (let me know if the Super 8 in Springdale is a better bet).  Our tickets are in Section 111...can you point me to a stadium map so I see if these are any good?

Would love some recomendations on what to do Friday night in Fayetteville...want to try and get the "night before the game" environment and try some BBQ.  We were planning on going to the stadium about noon to tailgate...any suggestions where we can eat and have some drinks in Fayetteville before heading over to the game....looking for gameday environment.

There's a great place in LR called Mexico Chiquito's.  LR is about a 1 hour drive from Fayetteville and a lot of us will be there about 6 pm.  Come on down with us have a bit to eat and join us as we drive back up!

But seriously, BBQ is not a strong suit in NW Arkansas.  There are a few good places but none that really stand out.

Bacon out...

RhodeHog

HOGLUVIN

Check and see where the band Oreo Blue is playing. They are awesome. Usually play on Dickson. Thats the place to be! Check out Willy D's too. No matter the age, its cool. Dueling piano bar. Food and entertainment line the street.

jvegashawg

Agree with Bacon.  No real good BBQ in Fayetteville.  Actually the ribs at Herman's are about as good as there are up there.

RhodeHog

How did you get better seats than me?  ;)

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 15, 2006, 05:05:08 pm

There's a great place in LR called Mexico Chiquito's.  LR is about a 1 hour drive from Fayetteville and a lot of us will be there about 6 pm.  Come on down with us have a bit to eat and join us as we drive back up!

But seriously, BBQ is not a strong suit in NW Arkansas.  There are a few good places but none that really stand out.

Bacon out...

1 hour...geez man...what plane are you traveling in?

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on August 15, 2006, 05:08:14 pm

Bacon out...

Yeah, it's not like I'd lie to a USC fan or anything...wake up dude.

Bacon out...

fire_hog

Fayetteville is not really known for it's BBQ. It's not quite a southern town, so you don't get true Memphis quality, and definitely not Kansas City style. I'd look for some quality Tex-Mex, although if you're from Cali, you probably get your fill of Mexican food.

As for the night before the game, you can't go wrong with Dickson Street.
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

Shag66

LOL...

HEY!  Penguin Eds is good BBQ dammit!

Seriously though USC dude!  Go have a steak at Doe's!  It's on Dickson Street and don't forget the tamales!

fire_hog

Damn, you guys type so fast, it just messes me up.
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

mbtrojan

Sounds like Dickson Street for both Friday night and Saturday pregame.  Is noon a good time to arrive for the game?  Is the stadium on campus?

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: fire_hog on August 15, 2006, 05:11:28 pm
Damn, you guys type so fast, it just messes me up.

I'm picking myself up outta the floor.  NICE.

Bacon out...

Shag66

Quote from: mbtrojan on August 15, 2006, 05:11:37 pm
Sounds like Dickson Street for both Friday night and Saturday pregame.  Is noon a good time to arrive for the game?  Is the stadium on campus?

Stadium is on campus and the tailgates will be set up by noon, but with it being a late game lots will be on Dickson until closer to game time

RhodeHog

I wouldn't get to campus til after 3 myself.

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 15, 2006, 05:08:52 pm

Bacon out...

Bacon out...

Sorry to bust your trick dude, I'm sure USC fans lied a ton to Hog fans traveling half way across the nation.

HOGLUVIN

<---- will be drunk for the 1st time Sept 2nd by noon.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on August 15, 2006, 05:13:56 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 15, 2006, 05:08:52 pm

Bacon out...

Bacon out...

Sorry to bust your trick dude, I'm sure USC fans lied a ton to Hog fans traveling half way across the nation.

I outted myself later in the same post.  And while we weren't lied to (that I know of), they did desecrate our flag.  Relax Piggo.

Bacon out...

RhodeHog

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on August 15, 2006, 05:14:48 pm
<---- will be drunk for the 1st time Sept 2nd by noon.

Don't do that, we need your voice for the game!  Wait til at least 4.

Immensehog

No self-respecting Arkansan would dare eat BBQ north of the Arkansas River.
On another note:
Did I hear Maxine's Tap Room burned?  That was a hangout!  
Playing Ding-Ding and calling the hogs!
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

Shag66

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on August 15, 2006, 05:14:48 pm
<---- will be drunk for the 1st time ON Sept 2nd by noon.

Fixed that for ya dude!

HOGLUVIN

EXACTLY!

I'll go 3-1 Shagg doesn't make it til 11.

PiggoBitttys

It's all good Bacon. Sorry, just didn't catch the humor, my bad.

Shag66

Quote from: Immensehog on August 15, 2006, 05:16:35 pm
No self-respecting Arkansan would dare eat BBQ north of the Arkansas River.
On another note:
Did I hear Maxine's Tap Room burned?  That was a hangout!  
Playing Ding-Ding and calling the hogs!

I must not be too self respecting then, cause I like Penguin Ed's a lot and I have eaten BBQ from KC to Memphis to Texas...

Yes, Maxine's burnt.  Word is they are going to remodel and reopen.  It was a sad day on the hill...

mbtrojan

Thanks for the advice:  Quick recap:

1) Stay at the Ramada in Lowell; not the Super 8 in Springdale
2) Skip the BBQ, find somewhere on Dickson Street Friday night
3) Get to the game when you want (between 12 and 3), but warm up on Dixon Street

Any good sports bars to watch Game Day on Saturday morning?

Looking forward to seeing you on Dickson Street Friday night and Saturday morning.

RhodeHog

I like Ed's too.  It's the best around here, IMO. 

Shag66

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on August 15, 2006, 05:18:38 pm
EXACTLY!

Somebody better take that bet!   WAIT!  I have to work until noon and I'll be parking cars before the game, so YEAH BABY!  I'LL TAKE SOMMA DAT ACTION!

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Shag66 on August 15, 2006, 05:21:08 pm
Quote from: HOGLUVIN on August 15, 2006, 05:18:38 pm
EXACTLY!

Somebody better take that bet!   WAIT!  I have to work until noon and I'll be parking cars before the game, so YEAH BABY!  I'LL TAKE SOMMA DAT ACTION!
Rigged bet, deals off.

RhodeHog

Don't forget to wear your Trojan gear so we can Ras ya, er, I mean spot ya.  :)

Shag66

Quote from: mbtrojan on August 15, 2006, 05:20:25 pm
Thanks for the advice:  Quick recap:

1) Stay at the Ramada in Lowell; not the Super 8 in Springdale
2) Skip the BBQ, find somewhere on Dickson Street Friday night
3) Get to the game when you want (between 12 and 3), but warm up on Dixon Street

Any good sports bars to watch Game Day on Saturday morning?

Looking forward to seeing you on Dickson Street Friday night and Saturday morning.

Hutch's or On the Mark...

Jose's street side on Friday night.  Best Margarita's in town...  Just follow the noise!

HOGLUVIN

mbtrojan

There will be 10 of us decked out in Cardnial and Gold.  We travel all over the country to see the Trojans play and look forward to this trip to Fayeteville.  I am sure we will get razed a bit, but hope to meet some courteous Hogs as well...always interesting to compare fan bases as a visitor.  See you soon...I do appreciate the advice.

hog caller

Bacon how fast do you drive? or does the word about explain the time it takes to get from LR to Fayetteville

Shag66

Quote from: mbtrojan on August 15, 2006, 05:27:59 pm
There will be 10 of us decked out in Cardnial and Gold.  We travel all over the country to see the Trojans play and look forward to this trip to Fayeteville.  I am sure we will get razed a bit, but hope to meet some courteous Hogs as well...always interesting to compare fan bases as a visitor.  See you soon...I do appreciate the advice.

WE are sociable types, but there IS a portion of the fanbase that is a tad...

unsociable.  Find us and we'll protect you...  at least till after the game!  :)

CharlieHustle

If I were you I would go to Brewskis on Dickson, and ask for Vernon Wade.  He's a real people person, loves USC fans!

HogInaStrangeLand

Go to Penguin Ed's

One of my FHS classmates dad's started it.

It's about as good of BBQ as you'll find...In Fayetteville.

GorillaJMonsoon

Quote from: Shag66 on August 15, 2006, 05:11:10 pm
LOL...

Seriously though USC dude!  Go have a steak at Doe's!  It's on Dickson Street and don't forget the tamales!
Penguin Ed's is weak.  Try Whole Hog Cafe in Bentonville. 
They have numerous awards including Memphis in May championship.
www.wholehogcafe.com

Shag66

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on August 15, 2006, 07:01:49 pm
Quote from: Shag66 on August 15, 2006, 05:11:10 pm
LOL...

Penguin Ed's is weak.  Try Whole Hog Cafe in Bentonville. 
They have numerous awards including Memphis in May championship.
www.wholehogcafe.com

Will do!

porknpine

Copelands is good for cajun dishes too - straight from New Orleans - it's up in Rogers.

Shag66

Quote from: porknpine on August 15, 2006, 07:06:23 pm
Copelands is good for cajun dishes too - straight from New Orleans - it's up in Rogers.

Never was a big fan of Copelands...  I'll go Cajun Lite at Powerhouse..

Dwight_K_Shrute

Sonny's off of exit 73 in Springdale has the best dry rub ribs around.  Also there's a good family place on college called Stephanie's.  Great place for the whole family.  My sons love it there.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

RazorRooter

August 15, 2006, 07:18:07 pm #42 Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 07:21:12 pm by RazorRooter

For excellent seafood try "Powerhouse". Their crab rolls are a must as an appetizer. For a very good burger, homemade fresh-cut fries, and beer try "Hugo's"

I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip and visit.

All but the outcome of the game.
It is ALWAYS Hog Tyme!

gopigsgo

Go to Dickson, turn at Georges, stop at the Powerstartion order a Steak!

DevilHog

As long as you and your group are acting like you are on this board you should run into some of the friendliest fans in the country. As with anywhere you will run into A$$holes. Dickson St. is the obvious bet, students are back, football is back, it should be a good crowd. I'd suggest Herman's on College to eat (Powerhouse, Hawg Haus, Doe's and Hugo's are all downtown and good too). I hope you and your group of friends have fun. We all really like our little town.

gopigsgo

Oh yea its powerhouse, my bad. Great food!

PigKahuna

Whole Hog Barbeque in Bentonville is world class and award winning.

About 13 minutes from your hotel.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

IMHO section 111 is the worst spot in the stadium.  You are right up against an endzone, and what you can't see on that map is that the incredibly huge "pigvision" is to your right, above and behind the endzone on that end.  You can't see half the field, and you are so right up on that screen, you can't watch it without getting a huge crick in the neck.

Enjoy! ;D

Hawgrox

Just for the record....the best BBQ that I ever had is from a place called Jones BBQ on Louisiana Street in Marianna....it's in Eastern Arkansas about 60 miles southwest of Memphis on Highway 79. If anyone gets over that way I suggest you try it. Another place close is Cypress Corner BBQ on Highway 1 right off of Highway 49.

DevilHog

Quote from: Hawgrox on August 15, 2006, 07:28:55 pm
Just for the record....the best BBQ that I ever had is from a place called Jones BBQ on Louisiana Street in Marianna....it's in Eastern Arkansas about 60 miles southwest of Memphis on Highway 79. If anyone gets over that way I suggest you try it. Another place close is Cypress Corner BBQ on Highway 1 right off of Highway 49.

Yeah, but that is an awfully long drive for a sandwich. I think I'd go to Hugo's.