Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should the Hogs stop scheduling Div-1AA teams in football?

Started by Bryan (CHF), August 05, 2009, 11:30:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Hogs stop scheduling Div-1AA teams in football?

Yes
99 (70.7%)
No
41 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 131

gohogsgo006

Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 05, 2009, 01:33:51 pm
because their are harder OOC schedules last year
Because those teams had down years. However, in most years, if you have that as an OOC schedule, nobody is gonna bat an eye at you about your schedule. You can't really account into your schedule when teams will have down or excellent years.  See USC for us when we signed that contract to play them.
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

Pork Twain

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 05, 2009, 01:33:51 pm
because their are harder OOC schedules last year
I did not say it was the hardest.  I said they do not get much tougher.  Go ahead and name a few other teams whose OOC included three top schools and added that to a tough SEC type schedule.  Point is they went out and scheduled tough teams.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

gohogsgo006

Quote from: Camden_Hogfan on August 05, 2009, 01:36:15 pm
Because those teams had down years. However, in most years, if you have that as an OOC schedule, nobody is gonna bat an eye at you about your schedule. You can't really account into your schedule when teams will have down or excellent years.  See USC for us when we signed that contract to play them.

The teams they played are only coonsidered good by name recognition.  If we beat Princton, no one would care, yet they have the most Football Championships than anyone else.  See where I'm going? Miami and FL. State are mediocre teams. Citadel? Please

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 05, 2009, 01:38:20 pm
The teams they played are only coonsidered good by name recognition.  If we beat Princton, no one would care, yet they have the most Football Championships than anyone else.  See where I'm going? Miami and FL. State are mediocre teams. Citadel? Please
Miami & Florida State are mediocre? OK, sure. I'm pretty sure both have National Championships in the BCS era. Having a down couple of years does not make a team mediocre....sorry.

By that standard, Arkansas is the bottom of the barrel in Div-1A.....I'm sure you don't agree with that do you?
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

gohogsgo006

Quote from: BeoPig™ on August 05, 2009, 01:37:55 pm
I did not say it was the hardest.  I said they do not get much tougher. 

lol what is the difference?  You essentially said, "Florida's OOC schedule is the toughest"? Is that not the hardest as well?

Florida State won 7 games last year, and Miami won 8....not exactly "top" competition.

ECU and USC had harder schedules off top of head

gohogsgo006

Quote from: Camden_Hogfan on August 05, 2009, 01:39:48 pm
Miami & Florida State are mediocre? OK, sure. I'm pretty sure both have National Championships in the BCS era. Having a down couple of years does not make a team mediocre....sorry.

By that standard, Arkansas is the bottom of the barrel in Div-1A.....I'm sure you don't agree with that do you?

Arkansas is mediocre yes.

Miami = lost more games than they have won in last 2 years
Florida State = 15-10 last 2 years. 

These are not the teams you grew up watching.

gohogsgo006

Quote from: Camden_Hogfan on August 05, 2009, 01:39:48 pm
I'm pretty sure both have National Championships in the BCS era. Having a down couple of years does not make a team mediocre....sorry.

Here is where you are wrong.  Having a couple down years DOES make a TEAM mediocre.

Having a couple downs years DOES NOT make a PROGRAM mediocre.

THere is a difference.  A win against a Florida State team today is much easier than it was in early 2000's

2FNFST4U

Quote from: BeoPig™ on August 05, 2009, 01:04:57 pm
You really cannot get a much tougher OOC schedule than Florida had last year.  Hawaii, Miami, Fla St and Citadel.

The time before that they did have Southern Miss, UCF, Western Carolina and Fla St.  This year they got lucky because USC could not take care of business.

Please note UiF hasn't played a non con game outside the state of Florida since 1991. They have played Miami 5 times only once in Miami with 2 of those 5 being bowl games since 1991 and Florida St every year. The rest of their non con over the last 17 years has been pure garbage.

BTW UiF against F$U 8-8
Against Miami 1-4.

That may explain their reluctance to schedule BCS schools home and home.

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 05, 2009, 01:58:01 pm
Arkansas is mediocre yes.

Miami = lost more games than they have won in last 2 years
Florida State = 15-10 last 2 years. 

These are not the teams you grew up watching.
Have a couple of bad seasons does not make a team mediocre. Miami's is simply they hired somebody they never should have (Coker). Time will tell if Shannon was a good pick. Miami had nothing short of 9 wins from 1998 to 2005 so we are not talking about decades ago.

Florida State has let Bowden stay on too long but still had only 1 sub-9 win season from 1987-2004. They also won 9 games in 2008.

Again, these teams couldn't be rationally described as mediocre. Now if they go a decade like the last couple of years, then we could consider them potential has beens.

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 05, 2009, 02:01:09 pm
Here is where you are wrong.  Having a couple down years DOES make a TEAM mediocre.

Having a couple downs years DOES NOT make a PROGRAM mediocre.

THere is a difference.  A win against a Florida State team today is much easier than it was in early 2000's
The point earlier was made that you can't take into account when teams have down years. When Florida scheduled Miami (they always play Florida St), Miami was coming off multiple 10+ seasons with back to back BCS Title Game appearances.

The original point of this argument was by any standard, having Florida's 2008 OOC would not be looked down on by anyone.

gohogsgo006

Quote from: Camden_Hogfan on August 05, 2009, 02:05:43 pm
Have a couple of bad seasons does not make a team mediocre. Miami's is simply they hired somebody they never should have (Coker). Time will tell if Shannon was a good pick. Miami had nothing short of 9 wins from 1998 to 2005 so we are not talking about decades ago.

Florida State has let Bowden stay on too long but still had only 1 sub-9 win season from 1987-2004. They also won 9 games in 2008.

Again, these teams couldn't be rationally described as mediocre. Now if they go a decade like the last couple of years, then we could consider them potential has beens.

So if USC were to somehow only win 6 games next year, they would still be a great OOC game?  Barely making a bowl is not a "great" team.

Yes, the programs of Miami and Florida State are way up there, but current wins over these programs is not out of reach like they used to be.

Bryan (CHF)

I think I see the problem here. We are saying two different things.

I think from a purely scheduling point of view, in the preseason of 2008, no one looked at Florida's schedule and said "hey that is a joke schedule" like most are saying about Ole Piss's OOC schedule this year.

The fact that both Florida State & Miami were not national title contenders in 2008 is separate point from the scheduling point. They had either average or below average years by their standards.

Now if Florida would have scheduled Ole Miss's 2009 OOC schedule, legitimate criticism could have been lobbed at them.

gohogsgo006

Quote from: Camden_Hogfan on August 05, 2009, 02:08:41 pm
The point earlier was made that you can't take into account when teams have down years. When Florida scheduled Miami (they always play Florida St), Miami was coming off multiple 10+ seasons with back to back BCS Title Game appearances.

The original point of this argument was by any standard, having Florida's 2008 OOC would not be looked down on by anyone.

I agree it shouldnt, but all I pointed out is it is not the toughest. :)

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 05, 2009, 02:12:49 pm
So if USC were to somehow only win 6 games next year, they would still be a great OOC game?  Barely making a bowl is not a "great" team.

Yes, the programs of Miami and Florida State are way up there, but current wins over these programs is not out of reach like they used to be.
It wasn't that long ago that USC was only winning 6 games ;)

No, read my post above. I think we've been hitting on two different points in the latter part of this thread.

mj4president

Ask Okie St how they like traveling to a Sun Belt team. Troy beat the dog piss out of out of them I think it was 2 years ago. Texas is traveling to Wyoming ftw.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: mj4president on August 05, 2009, 02:20:03 pm
Ask Okie St how they like traveling to a Sun Belt team. Troy beat the dog piss out of out of them I think it was 2 years ago. Texas is traveling to Wyoming ftw.
Okie State had one good year. Historically though, they are a sub-500 team.

Oh and Texas can thank us for having to travel to Wyoming. That is who they replaced us with on their schedule.

gohogsgo006

Quote from: Camden_Hogfan on August 05, 2009, 02:16:30 pm
It wasn't that long ago that USC was only winning 6 games ;)

No, read my post above. I think we've been hitting on two different points in the latter part of this thread.

I think a "good OOC schedule" shouldnt be found out until after a season is over.  I mean, do people really care if you beat and 7-6 team from OOC?  If this 7-6 team happens to be Miami or Syracuse, it doesnt matter in my opinion, the 7-6 team wasnt good for that particular year.

donewithdale

Quote from: BeoPig™ on August 05, 2009, 01:35:15 pm
Your pathetic Fail post is a major FAIL.

He missed that I was just attemtping to make a post shorter than many of his.  It was tough to do. 

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 05, 2009, 02:28:43 pm
I think a "good OOC schedule" shouldnt be found out until after a season is over.  I mean, do people really care if you beat and 7-6 team from OOC?  If this 7-6 team happens to be Miami or Syracuse, it doesnt matter in my opinion, the 7-6 team wasnt good for that particular year.

I agree when you are looking at how the actual schedule plays out for the year. However, you can't fault a team for scheduling a power house and then that team has a bad year. I mean that is a lot different than scheduling Memphis and a bunch of directional schools.

hogsanity

I did not read all the answers, so if I dupicate, sorry.  We SHOULD stop playing 1aa schools IF we can find 3 1a scholls to come play as rent a wins.  Sometimes that s not possible due to conference schedules.  In no way should we ever have more than 1 tough ooc game. 

IMO, the ncaa should not count any games against 1aa schools toward bowl elig. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

August 05, 2009, 02:54:28 pm #72 Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:56:49 pm by BeoPig™
Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 05, 2009, 01:51:46 pm
lol what is the difference?  You essentially said, "Florida's OOC schedule is the toughest"? Is that not the hardest as well?

Florida State won 7 games last year, and Miami won 8....not exactly "top" competition.

ECU and USC had harder schedules off top of head

Lets try and work on attention to detail.  I said you would be hard pressed to find one tougher.  I NEVER said theirs was the toughest.  A little insight scheduling.  These games are not planned at the beginning of the year.  It is not Florida's fault that FSU and Miami have fallen on hard times.  They are still top programs and Florida still has them on their schedule.

USC had Virginia (5-7), Ohio St (10-3), Notre Dame (7-6) and that is a pretty good OOC, but like I said at the beginning OOC really only becomes important at the end of the season if the teams have the same record or close to it.  USC dropped the ball with 4-8 UCLA for the last game of the season.

Pork Twain

Quote from: donewithdale on August 05, 2009, 02:29:49 pm
He missed that I was just attemtping to make a post shorter than many of his.  It was tough to do. 
People that type "FAIL" and "This^^^" deserve to be put on ignore.

Pork Twain

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 05, 2009, 02:28:43 pm

You have to give a team credit for being willing to play the big boys.  They are not responsible for the big boys getting the job done every year.

Just for the record though, you want to give USC props for a tough schedule but only one team they played, Ohio St, would be considered a tough game by your rules.

Bryan (CHF)

rzrbaxfan

The 1-AA team is unfortunately a fixture on the schedule as long as there are 12 games.  Look at any major conference (besides the PAC10) and you'll see more than half of the teams with a 1-AA opponent.  It's been that way since they added the 12th game. 

I think if there are truly "not enough teams to go around" (quote by Rick Schaffer), we should go back to 11 games.  The only reasons to play a 1-AA school are to get fans to spend more money and to get an automatic W...and those are bad reasons.  If I'm going to shell out more money, give me something entertaining to watch.  If I wanted to see a lop sided game, I'd fire up the playstation.

LSPRazorbac

I said no.

Solely for the reason, many times it is hard to come to agreement with other teams and scheduling conflicts.  Sometimes it is neccessary to play a Div IAA team just to have that 12th game.

PoormansRobbyHampton

I voted yes, I could have went either way, but I agree with the OP. How many FBS teams out there could lose to an upper tier FCS team? A prime example is last year, Western Illinois was just as good to La-Monroe IMO. But it's much embarrassing to lose to an FCS team than even a terrible FBS team.

It sucks to lose to La-Monroe, but you're a laughingstock if you lose to an FCS team. It's my opinion that we should use OOC games to help with recruiting, much like the A&M game will be used. I think we should play Memphis too. It was a great series (Once we got to beating them anyway). It'd be the one time that they sell their building out a year when we played there. Memphis and A&M is a pretty decent two OOC game stretch, that would help in other areas besides just football quality.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Reduce the BCS division to 96 teams. 8 conferences with 12 teams per conference, You would play 11 conference games. week 12 would be for conference champions to begin a playoff. Week 13 for playoff winners. The National Championship could be played the next week or as part of Bowl week. The other teams would play a team that finished in the same place in another conference, such as conference 1 would play conference 2 ect, the home conference would be determined before the season starts.
Than you can have your bowl games.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Pork Twain

deshahawg

Yeah, we could always schedule lower ranked D1 teams. It would definately look better on our schedule.

usnavyhogfan

Anyone know how the players feel about These cupcake games?
The dream is free, the journey is not.

Hog Fan 51

Quote from: jst01 on August 05, 2009, 11:43:08 am
I say NO.

The easy answer is of course, the SEC is hard enough.

But it's true, it's been proven plenty of times that a good SEC team can schedule these 1-AA teams and still get to play for the National Championship regardless of the opponent in a couple of Non Conf games.

If the selection committee has no problem with it, I sure dont mind our team having an easier week.

Thats it right there. If we played in a lesser conference I would say yes, but we are in the grind in the SEC, and we will always get to play several top 25 teams every year. The kids need a game to play the young talent and take it easy. I like how we always schedule one at the beginning (a warm up), however we need to try to push out buy week and second non conference game into October to give the injurys a little more time in the heart of the schedule.
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

SamBuckhart

I would say yes. We should stop scheduling them. I realize these dates are set far in advance. How about some independent schools? What about special interest schools like Louisville or Baylor?
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Pork Twain

Tomhog™

I'll say no.

In bowl determinations, the greatest weight is W-L.  I lower tier school would not only give the Hogs a pretty sure win (at least with a decent HC at the helm), but also give time for the starters to heal the bumps and bruises, plus get the backup players some much needed experience on the field.

1highhog

Yes, quit scheduling them.  There are worst teams we could play in the NCAA

ErieHog

Quote from: 1highhog on August 06, 2009, 01:04:00 pm
Yes, quit scheduling them.  There are worst teams we could play in the NCAA

Pst.  They are in the NCAA.

Details, details...
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

bigpigonthehill

I don't mind playing these games if they are at the beginning of the season. They provide extra scrimmages to find out things about your personnel on the field. They also serve as tuneups to get you ready for the season. You could even have a preseason with these foes. I know many of you will say we have enough games already. We do play many games with 12 nowadays. Many teams play cupcakes early anyway. Why count these games? Just count conference games and bowl games. This is where you get the best competition anyway and find out who the really good teams are. Hopefully, one day we will have a playoff system.
How the hell did we wind up like this? Why weren't we able to see the signs that we missed? And try to turn the tables. Nothing is wrong, just as long as you know that someday I will. Some day, Some how. Gonna make it alright but not right now. I know you're wondering when.