Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After a decade of pure stinkage....

Started by Razorboom, November 24, 2012, 10:06:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorboom

We have got to let mike Anderson get his players in. He is building off a disaster of a team and coach. There is alot of work to do but let get behind our team. I get mad and upset just like everyone of you but mike had a great recruiting class and a too 5 class next year. We will be much improved this year and win games were not supposed to win but we will lose games were supposed to win. Calm down and call them hogs!

Breems

I don't understand the panic.

I said all summer long that this is most likely an NIT team.  Mike's in his second year and has only had time to put together one average class. 

They'll definitely get better as the season rolls on, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go to the NIT or even stay home again in March.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

latrops

Anderson isn't building off of a disaster of a team and coach.  Pelphrey's last team won 18.  Anderson won 18 last year.  Eighteen is the minimum expectation for me, this year.  If Anderson can't win 18 now, then things are regressing.  In spite of the ASU game, I still believe things will get better.  They certainly aren't going to shoot that poorly every game.  The defense will get better, as well.  CMA has done too well in the past to think that what we saw against ASU is all this team is capable of.  That may be the season's low point.

rude1

Quote from: latrops on November 24, 2012, 10:56:31 am
Anderson isn't building off of a disaster of a team and coach.  Pelphrey's last team won 18.  Anderson won 18 last year.  Eighteen is the minimum expectation for me, this year.  If Anderson can't win 18 now, then things are regressing.  In spite of the ASU game, I still believe things will get better.  They certainly aren't going to shoot that poorly every game.  The defense will get better, as well.  CMA has done too well in the past to think that what we saw against ASU is all this team is capable of.  That may be the season's low point.
My only disagreement is you are neglecting schedule. Pelphrey had a very easy schedule and sitll managed only 18 wins. The schedule this year is much tougher, so getting to 18 wins this year would be more significant than the 18 won a year ago. or the 18 Pelphrey won his last year.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Breems on November 24, 2012, 10:25:00 am

You should. You've been around Jumpball long enough...

Smithian

I remember people saying Pelphrey should be fired if he didn't make the Sweet 16 last season and that Mike Anderson would take the talent we had and be a top 25 team right away.

Now apparently all the players on the roster are untalented.

slopman

Quote from: Smithian on November 24, 2012, 12:13:59 pm
I remember people saying Pelphrey should be fired if he didn't make the Sweet 16 last season and that Mike Anderson would take the talent we had and be a top 25 team right away.

Exactly.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

My only complaint that I had yesterday was that after obviously falling behind and seeing that Wade, Powell, etc. weren't doing that great, why not just platoon for 5 minutes and put Scott, Bell, Williams etc. out there together.  They might have just played matador defense too, and continued to shoot clunkers, but at least we would've seen what they had.

Now Anderson is the coach and might've not wanted to shell shock some of the youngsters and destroy their freshman confidence, or he may have challenged the returners like Wade, Powell, and Madden to step it up like Young was doing.

Small critique, and I still have faith that we are improving.  We are full strength regarding fouls to give and minutes to play to run the pressing style.  I think the additions of Clarke, Bell and Williams are upgrades over Waithe, Nobes and Abron and they will continue to improve as the year goes on.

Germx

The problem is next year won't be any better....

Germx

We aren't gonna make the dance and we are gonna lose our top rebounder and a top 10 draft pick.  Doesn't bold well for next years team

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Germx on November 24, 2012, 01:32:52 pm
We aren't gonna make the dance and we are gonna lose our top rebounder and a top 10 draft pick.  Doesn't bold well for next years team
I guess it doesn't bode well for naysayers like you either.

which top rebounder do you speak of?  because teams in college are always turning over.  I think losing powell in exchange for Portis will be an okay trade in the long run.

Germx

I've seen Portis play several times.  Very long player, shoots decent.  Problem is he plays like a guard.  He won't be an inside scorer.  We need big men who can rebound and score inside.  He will need a year in the weight room before he's a stud.

99toLife

That's EXACTLY what people were posting..

BigHog396

Quote from: rude1 on November 24, 2012, 10:58:57 am
My only disagreement is you are neglecting schedule. Pelphrey had a very easy schedule and sitll managed only 18 wins. The schedule this year is much tougher, so getting to 18 wins this year would be more significant than the 18 won a year ago. or the 18 Pelphrey won his last year.
How, exactly, do you figure "Pelphrey had a very easy schedule.... the schedule this years is much tougher"?  I guess you haven't looked at our schedules too closely, if you really believe that.

The only thing the coach would have any real control over is the OOC schedule.  Pelphrey's last year we played UAB, OU, Seton Hall, Texas A&M, and Texas... That's five "name" games.  I don't remember how all of those teams turned out, but you never know that going into a season.  This year we play ASU, Wisconsin, Syracuse, OU, and Michigan... That's five "name" games, if you include ASU as a "name" game after the seasons they have had the last 2 years.

So, no, the schedule this year is not "much tougher" than what we have seen the last two years... and getting to 18 wins would not be any more significant than getting there either of the last two years.

There will be no covering up of how bad this team is looking like they will be... but nice try.

rude1

Quote from: BigHog396 on November 25, 2012, 06:34:45 pm
How, exactly, do you figure "Pelphrey had a very easy schedule.... the schedule this years is much tougher"?  I guess you haven't looked at our schedules too closely, if you really believe that.

The only thing the coach would have any real control over is the OOC schedule.  Pelphrey's last year we played UAB, OU, Seton Hall, Texas A&M, and Texas... That's five "name" games.  I don't remember how all of those teams turned out, but you never know that going into a season.  This year we play ASU, Wisconsin, Syracuse, OU, and Michigan... That's five "name" games, if you include ASU as a "name" game after the seasons they have had the last 2 years.

So, no, the schedule this year is not "much tougher" than what we have seen the last two years... and getting to 18 wins would not be any more significant than getting there either of the last two years.

There will be no covering up of how bad this team is looking like they will be... but nice try.
Michigan is No. 4 and Syracuse is No. 6., I think those two alone translates into much better competition. But spin away, it's obvious you don't like CMA, so you are one of those waiting for him to fail.

slopman

Quote from: BigHog396 on November 25, 2012, 06:34:45 pm

Quote from: rude1 on November 25, 2012, 07:47:27 pm
Michigan is No. 4 and Syracuse is No. 6., I think those two alone translates into much better competition. But spin away, it's obvious you don't like CMA, so you are one of those waiting for him to fail.

I don't see the spin, he has a valid point , soon or later MA has to take responsibility for the product on the court period.

checkraiser88

Quote from: Breems on November 24, 2012, 10:25:00 am

I said all summer long that this is most likely an NIT team.  Mike's in his second year and has only had time to put together one average class. 

They'll definitely get better as the season rolls on, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go to the NIT or even stay home again in March.

Oh and next year they will make the NCAA tournament without BJ Young and Powell? There's going to be questions going into next year as well....

razorbak

Nolan won about 12 games his first year, next year won about 19 made the NIT and beat ASU ( Jonesboro, Ark) in overtime then lost the next game, next year won 21 games & got beat in the first NCAA game, then, finally in his 4th year we won the SWC and lost to Louisville in the second round of the Big Dance, finally, in the 5th year we really got on a roll winning the SWC again and made it to the Final 4.  Lots of people wanted Nolan gone after year 1 and year 2 and year 3. No matter who Pelphrey had there was virtually no discipline or persistent hustle from his players. If, after 4 or 5 years, we are no better than we've been, we may make a change. Mike has had a better track record than Pelphrey or Heath. We'll see how he works out here. At least he has a definable and recognizable system he is working to implement. What was Pel's or Heath's? MA was a good hire for us and, I believe is hungrier than ever to prove what he can do as an SEC coach and appreciates being at Arkansas more than anyone else could. I believe he will prove to be a fine HC. But its way too early for hand-wringing and panic.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

rude1

Quote from: slopman on November 25, 2012, 08:15:50 pm
I don't see the spin, he has a valid point , soon or later MA has to take responsibility for the product on the court period.
Oh another one I see. Ummmm, it's year TWO and you would expect what from a second year coach taking over a program that hasn't won anything.

cityhog

And young. Don't forget they're young.

latrops

I, for one, agree with the original poster that the schedule isn't "much tougher".  A little tougher, fine.  I'd take losses to Michigan and Syracuse....it's getting crushed in the 2nd half against Arizona St and Wisconsin that concerns me.  Those aren't bad teams, but they aren't teams that should be wiping us out.  Again, this team has won 36 over the prior two seasons, this isn't a roster full of garbage.  I like Anderson and have high expectations.  I was a bit surprised at how the team played this weekend.

nwarazfan

It was just part of their scorched earth plan they went with since Nolan was fired to get Coach A back and to partially right what they perceived as a wrong.  Their declarations were unreasonable and stupid including what Coach A could do in the short term and was unfair to him.  We had no choice but to bring him back because of them and he obviously wanted to be back.  He is a good person and coach and I hope he gets it going soon as it will be sad if he doesn't.  This group still holds on to the belief that 1990-96 can be repeated in every way again and that is where they set their expectations including style of play.

As far as the team this season, I haven't seen one second of play or highlights so I can't comment on them.  Was in Vegas this weekend but correctly decided not to even bother heading over to the Orleans. 

BigHog396

No spin to it... anyone that says this year we have a "much tougher" schedule, really doesn't know much about basketball.

And where do you get your "it's obvious you don't like CMA" crap?  I don't have an agenda either way.  I like the style of play we are seeing again, especially since that's pretty much what I grew up watching for Hawg Ball, but I also know that style alone doesn't get you anywhere in the win column.  I hope Anderson can get us back to what we used to be, but I don't believe 40 MoH will get you to elite status anymore.  Of course, if you really know much about the way Nolan won big, you know that it wasn't done with 40 MoH.  It was done with excellent basketball players, who could pressure the hell out of you when needed.

It's called being realistic.  This team is a long way from being a decent D-1 basketball team.  Without BJ, we have no scoring.  We have no inside game, and you don't win without a solid post game (even Nolan wasn't able to do that).

Anderson has done a good job of getting some solid role players on campus, but he has whiffed when it comes to getting/keeping us any big men.  If he does get some "men" on campus, he may be able to turn the program around... if not, he'll go down the same road Nolan did after '95.

Smithian

LETS GETS US SOME MENS

WOOOO (SNARLING) PIGGIE SOOIE

HAWG BALL!

/nostalgic jump ball posters

The_Iceman

Quote from: BigHog396 on November 26, 2012, 09:50:47 pm
Anderson has done a good job of getting some solid role players on campus, but he has whiffed when it comes to getting/keeping us any big men.  If he does get some "men" on campus, he may be able to turn the program around... if not, he'll go down the same road Nolan did after '95.

Mike, in just his second recruiting class, sure didn't whiff on bringing in big men. Not only is he going to add a "man" in Alandise Harris next year, but he is adding a 5-star PF and a 4-star C, both Top 5 at their position.

In his first class, Mike had a lot of holes to fill. He needed just about everything from shooters, to athletes, to big men, to ball handlers. All while trying to recruit a program that is dead nationally. He got a good shooter (Bell), two athletic forwards (Williams/Qualls), a rebounder (Clarke), and a ball handler (Wagner).

Now, those aren't high level 4-star talent like his 2013 class, but it was the best he could do considering the state of our program and the uncertainty about our future. I'd say Mike is doing a great job building a program that will be successful in the future.

UNCLE BACK

Harris is a man! Kingsley and Portis are not Physical but they are very Athletic.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 27, 2012, 10:30:15 am
In his first class, Mike had a lot of holes to fill. He needed just about everything from shooters, to athletes, to big men, to ball handlers. All while trying to recruit a program that is dead nationally. He got a good shooter (Bell), two athletic forwards (Williams/Qualls), a rebounder (Clarke), and a ball handler (Wagner).

Now, those aren't high level 4-star talent like his 2013 class, but it was the best he could do considering the state of our program and the uncertainty about our future. I'd say Mike is doing a great job building a program that will be successful in the future.

Despite the fact the program hadn't won a Big Dance game in four years, let's not act like the program was "dead" upon MA's arrival. We had just signed a top 10 national class when Mike arrived. Mike then signed blue-collar list of role players, but to act like we are/were bottom of the barrel is stretching things quite a bit. We've won 18 games in back to back seasons. We're not awful year after year like Auburn has been. We're not barren like Mississippi St.

We lack a dependable floor general and another anchor inside.  Moses will likely need time to develop, and replacing BJ's clutch scoring next season will be very hard to do. Scott and Wade will need big senior seasons if we're going to keep moving forward. Landing a great JUCO PG this spring would help immensely.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

rude1

Quote from: BigHog396 on November 26, 2012, 09:50:47 pm
No spin to it... anyone that says this year we have a "much tougher" schedule, really doesn't know much about basketball.

And where do you get your "it's obvious you don't like CMA" crap?  I don't have an agenda either way.  I like the style of play we are seeing again, especially since that's pretty much what I grew up watching for Hawg Ball, but I also know that style alone doesn't get you anywhere in the win column.  I hope Anderson can get us back to what we used to be, but I don't believe 40 MoH will get you to elite status anymore.  Of course, if you really know much about the way Nolan won big, you know that it wasn't done with 40 MoH.  It was done with excellent basketball players, who could pressure the hell out of you when needed.

It's called being realistic.  This team is a long way from being a decent D-1 basketball team.  Without BJ, we have no scoring.  We have no inside game, and you don't win without a solid post game (even Nolan wasn't able to do that).

So playing Fl. twice and adding two games against Mo. does nothing to schedule difficulty. It's obvious you don't have an agenda. Any coach in his second year should have all the pieces in place to win. Of course you aren't being unrealistic.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 27, 2012, 12:18:24 pm
Despite the fact the program hadn't won a Big Dance game in four years, let's not act like the program was "dead" upon MA's arrival. We had just signed a top 10 national class when Mike arrived. Mike then signed blue-collar list of role players, but to act like we are/were bottom of the barrel is stretching things quite a bit. We've won 18 games in back to back seasons. We're not awful year after year like Auburn has been. We're not barren like Mississippi St.

We lack a dependable floor general and another anchor inside.  Moses will likely need time to develop, and replacing BJ's clutch scoring next season will be very hard to do. Scott and Wade will need big senior seasons if we're going to keep moving forward. Landing a great JUCO PG this spring would help immensely.

Was Arkansas a factor on the national stage at all when we hired Mike?

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 27, 2012, 01:27:23 pm
How long until we are?

We have hired a top 10 paid coach. Hopefully it happens very soon.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 27, 2012, 01:27:23 pm

If we're landing a nationally ranked top 10 recruiting class, then yes, we are a factor. If we're beating top 25 ranked teams, then yes, we are a factor.

To say we were "dead" is unnecessary and way over the top. I understand the point you're trying to make, but you're going a bit too far in trying to make it.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 27, 2012, 08:21:43 pm
If we're landing a nationally ranked top 10 recruiting class, then yes, we are a factor. If we're beating top 25 ranked teams, then yes, we are a factor.

To say we were "dead" is unnecessary and way over the top. I understand the point you're trying to make, but you're going a bit too far in trying to make it.

I said we were "dead nationally". Our head coach wasn't being interviewed on College Basketball live on ESPN, we weren't getting talked about on SportsCenter, our highlights weren't getting played, and we weren't sniffing the Big Dance...let alone the top 25.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 27, 2012, 08:46:07 pm
I said we were "dead nationally". Our head coach wasn't being interviewed on College Basketball live on ESPN, we weren't getting talked about on SportsCenter, our highlights weren't getting played, and we weren't sniffing the Big Dance...let alone the top 25.

You and I see it differently.

I see a serviceable set of juniors in Powell, Wade, Scott, and Clarke.
I see a stud 2011 recruiting class in All-American BJ Young , Madden, & Mickelson (minus Abron)
I see a group of freshman that aren't being asked to do that much too early in the season (7 to 14 minutes per game)

I see a recently hired top 10 college basketball coach that brought credibility, success, and swagger back to Fayetteville, AR when he was hired. He's been there and done that. That's why we hired Mike Anderson.

I can't blame the past few years for how our current team is playing and projects considering I've seen  many of these guys play much better than they currently are and I've seen these coaches achieve much better success with similar and lesser talent in prior years. Other than a lack of an interior anchor and figuring out how to remind Wade, BJ, and Bell how to shoot, we're not lacking on the talent-end.

We're currently 322nd out of 347 in the nation in fouls/game (22.2/game).
We're 301st  in 3-pointers made
We're 299th in 3-point shooting %
We're 295th in team rebounds

This style of play is founded on defensive efficiency and effective perimeter shooting. We know transition > crashing the glass. They aren't getting it done right now, plain and simple. That's not the fault of anyone but the 2012-13 team. It's early, and they can improve, but it's not the time to start blaming distant history for today's disappointments.

Displacedhawg

A coach needs a good 3 years to put his plan into place and get things rolling.  I am not going to panic yet. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Displacedhawg on November 28, 2012, 01:48:33 am
A coach needs a good 3 years to put his plan into place and get things rolling.  I am not going to panic yet. 

Tom Crean got 3 years. Mike took over a better situation. He should have us going in the Top 25 next year.

I still don't think the NCAA is out of the picture yet, but its a long shot. NIT much more likely.

Smithian

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 27, 2012, 10:48:21 pmThis style of play is founded on defensive efficiency and effective perimeter shooting. We know transition > crashing the glass. They aren't getting it done right now, plain and simple. That's not the fault of anyone but the 2012-13 team. It's early, and they can improve, but it's not the time to start blaming distant history for today's disappointments.
Well said.

I think the people who are in meltdown mode saying we can only hope for NIT are panicking way too early, and I also think those saying nothing wrong while blaming the Pelphrey years are a bit sugar coating things. Lots of time left this season to make the tournament, but at the same time the guys on the court need to get it done.

poloprince

Like Nolan always said people underestimated what he was able to do at Arkansas and he created a monster. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 27, 2012, 10:48:21 pm
This style of play is founded on defensive efficiency and effective perimeter shooting. We know transition > crashing the glass. They aren't getting it done right now, plain and simple. That's not the fault of anyone but the 2012-13 team. It's early, and they can improve, but it's not the time to start blaming distant history for today's disappointments.

This is what I said:
"In his first class, Mike had a lot of holes to fill. He needed just about everything from shooters, to athletes, to big men, to ball handlers. All while trying to recruit a program that is dead nationally. He got a good shooter (Bell), two athletic forwards (Williams/Qualls), a rebounder (Clarke), and a ball handler (Wagner)."

This team is young. They are making mistakes and are inexperienced. That's their fault. It's the issues you deal with when you transition from two coaches with different styles. I'm am not blaming distant (3 years I guess is distant now) history, but it has to be considered as a factor in today's teams play.

The Arizona State game was just a flat out stink job. The Wisconsin game was an example of a coach who is in his 2nd year of implementing his system vs. a coach who has had his system in place at his program for 12 seasons.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 28, 2012, 09:01:07 am
This team is young. They are making mistakes and are inexperienced. That's their fault. It's the issues you deal with when you transition from two coaches with different styles. I'm am not blaming distant (3 years I guess is distant now) history, but it has to be considered as a factor in today's teams play.

The Arizona State game was just a flat out stink job. The Wisconsin game was an example of a coach who is in his 2nd year of implementing his system vs. a coach who has had his system in place at his program for 12 seasons.

You can blame it on youth and inexperience all day long if you want, but the fact is we don't have a bunch of new guys out there playing major minutes to blame that on. Six of our top seven players are in their second season under Mike Anderson (Clarke is the other). These same sophomores and juniors are the same guys who played major minutes last season. But they're fouling way too often on defense, and they're not shooting the ball as well as they have in the past.

The system is the same as it was last year, but our players aren't executing at the level they should be. It's not growing pains that are to blame. We aren't shooting from the perimeter very well, we aren't defending very well, we're putting our better opponents on the charity stripe way too often and we aren't rebounding on the defensive glass.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 28, 2012, 09:54:02 am
You can blame it on youth and inexperience all day long if you want, but the fact is we don't have a bunch of new guys out there playing major minutes to blame that on. Six of our top seven players are in their second season under Mike Anderson (Clarke is the other). These same sophomores and juniors are the same guys who played major minutes last season. But they're fouling way too often on defense, and they're not shooting the ball as well as they have in the past.

The system is the same as it was last year, but our players aren't executing at the level they should be. It's not growing pains that are to blame. We aren't shooting from the perimeter very well, we aren't defending very well, we're putting our better opponents on the charity stripe way too often and we aren't rebounding on the defensive glass.

Arizona State was lack of execution. The veterans (the 4 Juniors), did not step up. We got 8 points combined from them. That put everything on the backs of our freshmen and sophomores, and we just didn't have enough to overcome that.

Against Wisconsin, it wasn't so much a lack of execution as it was just getting beat by a program that has had a system in place for 12 years. I thought the team overall played a good game, but Wisconsin stuck to their game plan and out executed us.

This is why we have to finally stick with a coach. We have to ride this out with Mike. It is a big asset in terms of recruiting and on court performance to have a coach who has been there 5+ years. I believe that if Mike is allowed to coach here until he retire (15 years?), then this program will see a high level of consistent success, much like Bo Ryan is doing at Wisconsin.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 28, 2012, 10:08:23 am
Arizona State was lack of execution. The veterans (the 4 Juniors), did not step up. We got 8 points combined from them. That put everything on the backs of our freshmen and sophomores, and we just didn't have enough to overcome that.

Against Wisconsin, it wasn't so much a lack of execution as it was just getting beat by a program that has had a system in place for 12 years. I thought the team overall played a good game, but Wisconsin stuck to their game plan and out executed us.

Arizona St. is/was run by a freshman PG and only went 7 players deep when they whipped us by 15. Carson is a stud, but we shouldn't ever allow a freshman to lead six teammates and run us out of the building in the 2nd half. That's our game. We're supposed to wear down a thin bench and capitalize on inexperienced ball-handlers. Our issues had everything to do with not wearing them down and giving up way too many easy shots. ASU shot 56% from the floor. That's absurd. Our offense consisted of giving the ball to B.J. and letting him do whatever he wanted. There was no structure there, next to no half-court execution, and far too few assists.  It's hard to get our guys involved ("step up") when one guy is playing Kobe and the rest of the team just sits back and watches.

Wisconsin beat us without their floor general and best perimeter defender, Josh Gasser, who is out for the entire season. Again, we got run out of the building in the 2nd half by a team that only went 7 deep. Again we had next to no half-court offense as we only had 7 total assists as a team and it was another one-on-one offensive showing. At least this time Powell tried to get involved on offense in the mere 19 minutes he managed to stay on the floor before finally fouling out.

Mike really needs these guys to buy into the team concept, talk to each other better on the floor when on D, and generate some sort of half-court offense that will provide open looks and produce more ball movement than we've seen thus far. BJ will be glad to continue his NBA Draft audition all season long unless someone else steps up and starts orchestrating an offense that gets others involved. 

Breems

Why are our guys afraid to pull the trigger from the arc? 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on November 28, 2012, 12:45:29 pm
Why are our guys afraid to pull the trigger from the arc? 

Probably because they're shooting just under 28% from outside.

Against Sam Houston St we shot 3 of 13 (23%)
Against Longwood we shot 5 of 21 (23%)
Against Florida A&M we shot 7 of 17 (40%)
Against Arizona St we shot 4 of 20 (20%)
Against Wisconsin we shot 3 of 8 in the first half (37.5%), and didn't attempt one trey in the 2nd half.

My guess is that the staff told these guys that they needed to stop chucking treys, put the ball on the floor, and try to get higher % shots and/or get to the charity stripe (70% on the season) which would also get the opposing bigs (who have been murdering us on the glass) in the same foul trouble our guys continue to find themselves in.

Breems

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 28, 2012, 12:50:57 pm
Probably because they're shooting just under 28% from outside.

BJ, Wade, Bell... they're all cold.  Maybe some calibration on the home rims will give 'em a little jump start. 

Smithian

We have a bunch of guys who overrrrrduuuuuuue

Smithian

I am going to predict the post game reaction from 2010 if the Wisconsin and Arizona State games played out the exact same;

"Fire Pelphrey! Put Rob Evans, a REAL coach, in charge! At the end of the season hire Mike Anderson and HAWG BALL will run teams like Arizona State and slow Wisconsin off the court! And we'll sell out every game!"

The new Jump Ball complains just as much but honestly doesn't know who to be angry at. It's kind of funny watching every fight with themselves as to who to blame.

cityhog

Quote from: Smithian on November 29, 2012, 08:46:58 am
I am going to predict the post game reaction from 2010 if the Wisconsin and Arizona State games played out the exact same;

"Fire Pelphrey! Put Rob Evans, a REAL coach, in charge! At the end of the season hire Mike Anderson and HAWG BALL will run teams like Arizona State and slow Wisconsin off the court! And we'll sell out every game!"

The new Jump Ball complains just as much but honestly doesn't know who to be angry at. It's kind of funny watching every fight with themselves as to who to blame.
Jeff Long. He hired Mike. But in his defense that's who he was told to hire.