Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A win over South Carolina could save MA

Started by checkraiser88, February 12, 2017, 08:51:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 01:06:52 pm
First off, MA's job is safe anyways unless we have an avalanche type finish to the season. Secondly, this win will do nothing more than silence SOME of the haters until the next loss and increase our chances of getting into the NCAA tournament
If he doesn't make the tourney or do something like win the NIT, he should be gone. He has nobody to blame but himself, for putting himself in this position with 2 years of horrible recruiting. This year was set for him to easily make it to the dance, but yet he allowed 3 horrible losses that have taken away any cushion. I am no hater, I wanted him back and I wanted him to replace NR, but if he cant get it done with this softball schedule he doesn't deserve any longer. I will be sad if he can't get it done, but like I said he is too blame if he loses his job.

WMHawgfan

After the Mizzou game and the follow up terrible performance I was in the fire CMA now group. The LSU game had me at the complete breaking point but the team did respond for whatever reason. Whether it was good coaching adjustments or if CMA had finally had enough and got knee deep in their hind quarters at halftime they definitely responded.

At this point I think I am just going to stop with knee jerk reactions and just let the season play out. If we get to the dance he stays, if we don't he needs to go. That simple. I can't buy the let him get the next class in here. He has had 6 classes, we shouldn't be in a position where we are hoping a future class will turn it around.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 13, 2017, 02:03:22 pm
Mike has been better at Arkansas than Buzz has at VT. No doubt Buzz can coach, but not sure we'd be gaining enough to make a change...I like Buzz fine tho. He is more animated than CMA, which to a lot people animation level = coaching ability. Best coach I even played for was not very animated at all on the sideline. If you messed up, he'd just stare you down, but when you got to the huddle or locker room it was on! haha.
Hey man don't you know by now? Every coach in America coaches except for CMA. Come on man get with the program. Get with the popular vote instead of the electoral vote. Sarcasm off...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

He signed a 7 year contract for a reason when he was hired. He's not going anywhere after this year. Long's gonna let the contract play out no matter what.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 03:05:28 pm
He signed a 7 year contract for a reason when he was hired. He's not going anywhere after this year. Long's gonna let the contract play out no matter what.

But what about that "avalanche type finish" that you said might get him fired?

BigE_23

If a guy is "coaching for his job" then he has already proven that he doesn't deserve it.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2017, 03:07:31 pm
But what about that "avalanche type finish" that you said might get him fired?
Not gonna happen.

rljjr

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rljjr on February 13, 2017, 03:33:33 pm
What type of finish are you seeing, including the SECT?
4-2 with at least one win in the SEC tourney. Book it.

Dropkick

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 03:39:33 pm
4-2 with at least one win in the SEC tourney. Book it.
That would be awesome........

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 03:29:25 pm
Not gonna happen.

What exactly is not gonna happen? He doesn't get fired "no matter what" or the "avalanche type finish" that YOU brought up that could get him fired doesn't happen?

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

swinesation

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2017, 02:06:28 pm
Are you going to answer with what you consider an "avalanche type" finish?

Guess not.

zuko

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 12, 2017, 08:51:15 pm
This is it. We need another road win and this is it. We have 2 in a row at home after this one. This moment is critical and every player needs to go out there and play to save their coaches job! We can do this! Go hogs baby!!!
It ain't gonna happen. Frank Martin is right on schedule with his rebuilding and he won't let it happen. The shame of it is that the Hogs are going to get up for this game because SC is a good  team and it presents a big challenge so ask the question. Why do they get up for certain games rather than all of them. The reason is that they don't have that coach that is capable of getting them up.

HogBreath

Quote from: zuko on February 13, 2017, 07:14:59 pm

Why do they get up for certain games rather than all of them. The reason is that they don't have that coach that is capable of getting them up.

The reason is it's the fast 40 roller coaster..it goes up, it goes down, back on the top, back towards the ground!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Letsroll1200

AugustaHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2017, 10:08:18 am
We won't have to have a quality win. Qty will be enough if we win 4 more. 

What should he have done with the football program?  Fire Bielema after 4 seasons?  Where this past season was unacceptable, it wasn't going to get him fired at this point.  No AD would have fired him from Arkansas.  He didn't need to do anything as Bielema did it.  The coach who was hired to do a job did his job by attempting to fix part of what is wrong. 

"Long doesn't care.  Long is all about money.  Long only cares about academics.  Long accepts mediocre results.  Long Long Long Long,..."  Damn I'll be happy when Long leaves.
Not sure what point you are disagreeing with here.  Long is extremely business oriented.  That's fine, not a put-down by any means.  He has commented several times about the great job CBB is doing, when it's pretty apparent that he's left quite a few wins on the table.  I'm not saying he should've been fired, but the two situations are pretty comparable.  Two dumpster fire programs that required re-building.  If you are not pro-active when one under-achieves (not saying he should be canned after 4 years), it is reasonable that there is going to be a long leash for the other.  The only variable being that RRS is pretty full and BWA is empty as hell. 

As far as JL goes, it is reasonable to look at his accomplishments thus far.  We've had 2 outstanding seasons in football along with several good/decent seasons.  Basketball has not gained traction.  Baseball is what it is.  DVH is great and we'll get back to the good ol days.  Track has won a couple titles (men's/women's), but not at the standard that Arkansas is used to.  WCBB, softball, volleyball, etc. are awful.  We are making lots of money and have great facilities.  Kudos to JL.  He's killing that end of it.  We have to utilize that money to start winning at something.  There's really little argument that we are struggling across the board. 

hobhog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 03:05:28 pm

It hasn't ever been rolled over? Telling....

EastexHawg

A win over South Carolina saving Mike Anderson's job...

Talk about winning the battle but losing the war.

TeufelHog

Hate to say it, but I believe South Carolina is gonna' curb-stomp our Hogs.  It's a home game for them with a passionate fan-base/"March Madness" type atmosphere.  They play solid fundamental basketball and are 3rd in the SEC.  Our daunted "40 Minutes of Hell" or whatever we call it these days, could not even wear down the "only 8 players" Vanderbilt brought to BWA last week. Hope I'm wrong, just don't see it happening for us at South Carolina.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 13, 2017, 08:10:00 pm
A win over South Carolina saving Mike Anderson's job...

Talk about winning the battle but losing the war.

;D
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

dsims2k3

Quote from: Polecat on February 13, 2017, 04:17:16 pm
Frank Martin > MA
LOL! Dude haven't been to the Tournament yet in 4 years . I thought that was the bar.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 13, 2017, 08:21:00 pm
LOL! Dude haven't been to the Tournament yet in 4 years . I thought that was the bar.

1 in 6 years but we want our coach fired

dsims2k3

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 13, 2017, 08:34:53 pm
1 in 6 years but we want our coach fired
I didn't even  count this year. That would make  0 in 5 years to this point
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Sivad

Quote from: TeufelHog on February 13, 2017, 08:10:27 pm
Our daunted "40 Minutes of Hell" or whatever we call it these days, could not even wear down the "only 8 players" Vanderbilt brought to BWA last week.
That was quite revealing indeed.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Sivad on February 13, 2017, 01:44:33 pm
Anderson = "Basketball Hootie".
There is a certain symmetry there.
This, his ability to maintain success and his recruiting ability were my biggest fears when he was hired
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2017, 04:16:06 pm
What exactly is not gonna happen? He doesn't get fired "no matter what" or the "avalanche type finish" that YOU brought up that could get him fired doesn't happen?
Being honest I don't believe either is going to happen. Even if we were to have a bad finish down the stretch when it comes to wins and losses I still don't think he's going anywhere. Unless it's on his own accord.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2017, 02:06:28 pm
Are you going to answer with what you consider an "avalanche type" finish?
2-4 without a win in the SEC tournament.

Youngsta71701

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hobhog on February 13, 2017, 08:08:25 pm
It hasn't ever been rolled over? Telling....
Who know? Could have been done behind the scenes already.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: TeufelHog on February 13, 2017, 08:10:27 pm
Hate to say it, but I believe South Carolina is gonna' curb-stomp our Hogs.  It's a home game for them with a passionate fan-base/"March Madness" type atmosphere.  They play solid fundamental basketball and are 3rd in the SEC.  Our daunted "40 Minutes of Hell" or whatever we call it these days, could not even wear down the "only 8 players" Vanderbilt brought to BWA last week. Hope I'm wrong, just don't see it happening for us at South Carolina.
Vandy was up by 20 in the first 10 minutes. Didn't have a chance to wear them down. Those 3's took us out of that defense in the first 10 minutes.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 13, 2017, 08:21:00 pm
It is for Mike at Arkansas but not Frank at South Carolina... ;)

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 10:56:52 am
It is for Mike at Arkansas but not Frank at South Carolina... ;)

Go look at South Carolina's NCAA tournament history and tell me if it the same amount of rope should be extended.

8 total (!) NCAA tournament appearances. The three coaches that have followed Nolan have had half that just in the last 15 or so years.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2017, 11:06:57 am
Go look at South Carolina's NCAA tournament history and tell me if it the same amount of rope should be extended.

8 total (!) NCAA tournament appearances. The three coaches that have followed Nolan have had half that just in the last 15 or so years.
So just because we've had some nice tournament runs over 20 years ago and South Carolina hasn't means Mike should have to do more at Arkansas than Frank does at South Carolina to be a good coach...Hmmm. Talk about living in the past. It's 2017 gentlemen not the 1990's. Nothing wrong with wanting to be a top program again. Hell, I want to just as much as anybody else but we have to be real with the times. We haven't been a power program since Nolan left and even quite sometime before that. It's on the way.

Phatasshog

Quote from: GuvHog on February 13, 2017, 11:58:17 am
Only 12 of the 14 teams will make the SEC Tournament. Most likely LSU and Missouri will be staying home.

Are you sure about this one?  I looked and 11 plays 14 and 12 plays 13 in the first round.

I think the women's tournament is where the two last place teams stay at home.

FATHAWG08

We will be Lucky if we don't get ran out of the Gym against SC or Florida. This team just doesn't show up when the pressure is on for a must win or Quality win.
I love off season Football!!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 11:37:25 am
So just because we've had some nice tournament runs over 20 years ago and South Carolina hasn't means Mike should have to do more at Arkansas than Frank does at South Carolina to be a good coach...Hmmm. Talk about living in the past. It's 2017 gentlemen not the 1990's. Nothing wrong with wanting to be a top program again. Hell, I want to just as much as anybody else but we have to be real with the times. We haven't been a power program since Nolan left and even quite sometime before that. It's on the way.

rude1

Quote from: swinesation on February 13, 2017, 01:11:06 pm
I agree. So if he's turned recruiting around after a couple of years of abysmal recruiting, is that a reason to be optimistic about the future?
No!!!! I don't believe he has turned anything around, he just happened to be around when the state is producing a lot of good basketball players who know each other and want to play together. If he is still around after this cycles through you would see him go back to his low level transfers and jucos as the foundation of his teams.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 11:37:25 am

Can you read?

You are the only person living in the past and talking about 20 years. I'm talking post-Nolan (and that was pretty clear). The last SC NCAA tournament appearance was in 2004. We've been to the NCAA tournament 4 times since then. People like you always say this program has been in such bad of shape since Nolan got fired, well consider how bad of shape South Carolina has been in since the early 1970s. As bad as Arkansas may have been when Anderson took over, it was at least twice as bad at South Carolina. More rope.

rude1

I look for SC to thoroughly thrash us, horrible match up for us. One of the better defensive teams who can also get hot from 3, this smells like disaster to me.

Pork Twain

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 13, 2017, 02:03:22 pm
Mike has been better at Arkansas than Buzz has at VT. No doubt Buzz can coach, but not sure we'd be gaining enough to make a change...I like Buzz fine tho. He is more animated than CMA, which to a lot people animation level = coaching ability. Best coach I even played for was not very animated at all on the sideline. If you messed up, he'd just stare you down, but when you got to the huddle or locker room it was on! haha.
Buzz is at a football school, that had to have the team rebuilt from the ground up, in a basketball conference.  A little different than MA.  This also only Buzz's third year here, after a nice run of success at Marquette, something MA has never had.

2008–09 Marquette 25–10 12–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Marquette 22–12 11–7 5th NCAA First Round
2010–11 Marquette 22–15 9–9 T–9th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Marquette 27–8 14–4 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13 Marquette 26–9 14–4 T–1st NCAA Elite Eight
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2017, 12:36:07 pm
Can you read?

You are the only person living in the past and talking about 20 years. I'm talking post-Nolan (and that was pretty clear). The last SC NCAA tournament appearance was in 2004. We've been to the NCAA tournament 4 times since then. People like you always say this program has been in such bad of shape since Nolan got fired, well consider how bad of shape South Carolina has been in since the early 1970s. As bad as Arkansas may have been when Anderson took over, it was at least twice as bad at South Carolina. More rope.
Post Nolan started in 2002. Ok, so 15 years. Not much difference is there? So 3 times in 9 years? Awesome, we were on top. Everybody gets rope except for Mike. Keep going...

Youngsta71701

February 14, 2017, 01:55:55 pm #92 Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:11:18 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 14, 2017, 01:00:32 pm
Buzz is at a football school, that had to have the team rebuilt from the ground up, in a basketball conference.  A little different than MA.  This also only Buzz's third year here, after a nice run of success at Marquette, something MA has never had.

2008–09 Marquette 25–10 12–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Marquette 22–12 11–7 5th NCAA First Round
2010–11 Marquette 22–15 9–9 T–9th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Marquette 27–8 14–4 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13 Marquette 26–9 14–4 T–1st NCAA Elite Eight
So is Arkansas a football school or a basketball school? If I had to pick I would say we we're more on the football side when Mike got here and we still are. And it's probably not even close. Just saying...

MushroomCloudHog

It's hard to imagine our fanbase if we don't go to the NCAA Tournament and Mike Anderson is still the coach. I'm not saying he will or won't be fired. But, if CBB and CMA have subpar years next year then would it be possible they both got fired the same year? If that ended up being the case, how do you not fire Jeff Long?

AugustaHog

I really hope we succeed and go on one hell of a run.  I just can't imagine this fanbase getting much more disinterested in a team.  This particular team is a decent ball club.  They are experiencing frustration stemming from a couple of things.  Primarily, the fans are tired of being mediocre at best at basketball.  This is the better part of two decades of suckage and no real signs of moving back to being an elite team.  Not all of that is MA's load to bear.  The disaster of Nolan's firing combined with Heath, Pelphrey, and now MA being below average is really starting to breed apathy in our fanbase.  It's not helping that we aren't getting some satisfaction in other sports.  There's no "well at least baseball/football season is about to start" because those sports are not killing it currently either.  Whatever happens, I just want to see BWA rocking again like the '90s.  That place is special when things are right. 

elksnort

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 12, 2017, 09:21:41 pm
If Moses and a dusty show up Arkansas will beat South Carolina. We have to get off to a better start.
agree on this

BigE_23

Tomorrow night will just serve as a reminder that we could've hired Frank Martin.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 01:55:55 pm
So is Arkansas a football school or a basketball school? If I had to pick I would say we were more on the football side when Mike got here and we still are. And it's probably not even close. Just saying...

Track...
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 14, 2017, 09:31:50 pm
Track...

Exactly.  We are not a football, baseball, or a basketball program.  We are TRACK and that is it.  Baseball is a distant second. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

root_hawg

MA is safe through this year and the next.  He can go NIT the next 2 years and still be safe.