Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beating LSU was supposed to happen

Started by Porked Tongue, February 11, 2017, 09:30:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog of steele

Hawg Red

Wait, Pelphrey got fired with games left to play? I remember him coaching the season out.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 15, 2017, 09:49:55 am
Wait, Pelphrey got fired with games left to play? I remember him coaching the season out.

I believe Guv meant Arkansas could have gone to the NIT.
[CENSORED]!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: SONofHAM on February 14, 2017, 06:51:33 pm
Really?
Really, because nobody does. It's just not realistic to think you will never be "upset". This is the kind of thing that really makes Arkansas fans look crazy or like we don't know anything about sports. Outsiders seem to think we have an unrealistic view on Arkansas sports and sometimes it's very hard for me to disagree with them.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 08:31:11 am
Here are the facts:

(A) Pelphrey's last team at Arkansas had 18 wins with games left to be played when he was terminated.
Wow! It must have really been bad if he was terminated with games left to be played. Seriously, I didn't know it was that bad... ;). Something really bad must have been going on behind closed doors.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 15, 2017, 09:49:55 am

No, he was fired with games left to play in the regular season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 10:47:18 am
Wow! It must have really been bad if he was terminated with games left to be played. Seriously, I didn't know it was that bad... ;). Something really bad must have been going on behind closed doors.

No, he was terminated because a good number of people were howling for Mike Anderson to be hired and had been doing so since Nolan was terminated. Jeff Long, weak as he is, finally caved in to the pressure being heavily applied.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 10:53:45 am
No, he was fired with games left to play in the regular season.

No, he was not. He absolutely coached that team in the SEC tournament against Tennessee.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 15, 2017, 11:01:37 am
No, he was not. He absolutely coached that team in the SEC tournament against Tennessee.

No he did not.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 11:27:35 am
No he did not.

2011 SECT was held March 10-13, Pelphrey was fired on March 13, so unless they played in the finals he most certainly did coach the Hogs in the 2011 SECT.

Hogs played in Game 3 on Thursday March 10. They lost 74-68. Pel was let go 3 days later. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kevin

"As a program, our initial goals are to challenge for Southeastern Conference championships, compete in the NCAA Tournament and support our student-athletes in the pursuit of a degree. Our program's tradition demonstrates those goals are certainly attainable at the University of Arkansas. 

this is what jeff long said after firing pel.  wonder if this is still the goals.

pel was fired on march 13th
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2017, 11:37:32 am
2011 SECT was held March 10-13, Pelphrey was fired on March 13, so unless they played in the finals he most certainly did coach the Hogs in the 2011 SECT.

Hogs played in Game 3 on Thursday March 10. They lost 74-68. Pel was let go 3 days later. 

Link?? Source??

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 11:27:35 am
No he did not.

Guv, you're wrong.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=6212623

QuoteArkansas has fired coach John Pelphrey after four seasons with the Razorbacks, the school said Sunday.

Pelphrey was 69-59 with the Razorbacks, including an 18-13 record this season. Arkansas lost to Tennessee in the opening round of the Southeastern Conference tournament on Thursday, the third straight first-round exit for the program.

Long said he made his decision after a meeting with Pelphrey on Sunday morning. Long said he weighed many options, including what he called the "overall student-athlete experience" and declining attendance in Bud Walton Arena.

GuvHog

Oh dear, my 61 year old memory is playing tricks on me. Thanks for the links guys, my bad.

Kevin

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 11:50:50 am
Oh dear, my 61 year old memory is playing tricks on me. Thanks for the links guys, my bad.

no problem, remember goggle is your friend

Jonteviosk

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 10:58:58 am
No, he was terminated because a good number of people were howling for Mike Anderson to be hired and had been doing so since Nolan was terminated. Jeff Long, weak as he is, finally caved in to the pressure being heavily applied.

How was Pels 2-14 conf record his second season then 7-9 and what 6-10. So good in conf play I cant believe we didn't give him a huge contract extension.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

GuvHog

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 15, 2017, 12:40:33 pm
How was Pels 2-14 conf record his second season then 7-9 and what 6-10. So good in conf play I cant believe we didn't give him a huge contract extension.

His last season where his Hogs won 18 games and earned an NIT bid, His cleaning up the APR problems, and his signing of a top 10 recruiting class for the next season was more than enough to merit allowing him to coach another year. His termination was premature. Contract extension?? No, he hadn't earned that.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 12:47:54 pm
His last season where his Hogs won 18 games and earned an NIT bid, His cleaning up the APR problems, and his signing of a top 10 recruiting class for the next season was more than enough to merit allowing him to coach another year. His termination was premature. Contract extension?? No, he hadn't earned that.

No one will ever convince me otherwise, Pel was let go because they had good reason to believe they could get Mike. Yes, they had a "search" to push the issue with Mike, but he was really their only target.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 12:47:54 pm

They didn't play in the NIT their last game was that SECT game against Tenn where Delvon had 15pts 9 reb. Man you really don't have too good a memory lmao. Anyone can check the facts I just listed especially about Delvons last game.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2017, 12:50:50 pm
No one will ever convince me otherwise, Pel was let go because they had good reason to believe they could get Mike. Yes, they had a "search" to push the issue with Mike, but he was really their only target.

Agreed. If Jeff Long had not offered Mike Anderson the job, he would have been verbally tarred and feathered then ridden out of town on a rail. He had absolutely no choice BUT to hire Mike.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2017, 12:50:50 pm
Mike was on his way to the NCAA tournament when Pelphrey was let go. Must have been some tampering going on.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 01:04:33 pm
Agreed. If Jeff Long had not offered Mike Anderson the job, he would have been verbally tarred and feathered then ridden out of town on a rail. He had absolutely no choice BUT to hire Mike.

Pel was let go because he took a job for the Hope, Ar girlscouts basketball team...Which was about his level as far as coaching ability.

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 01:05:29 pm
Mike was on his way to the NCAA tournament when Pelphrey was let go. Must have been some tampering going on.

With a team that lost every conference road game they played that year with one exception, that being against an Iowa State team that was flat out horrible that year. They didn't deserve that NCAA Tournament bid and got it only because of the strength of the Big 12 at that time.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 01:17:10 pm
With a team that lost every conference road game they played that year with one exception, that being against an Iowa State team that was flat out horrible that year. They didn't deserve that NCAA Tournament bid and got it only because of the strength of the Big 12 at that time.

I heard Pels girlscout team might go undefeated this year lol.

HF#1

Everybody seems to forget the disaster recruiting classes in between Pel's first year and the class he left Mike with.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 01:05:29 pm

They did not speak to Mike directly, our people talked to his people.

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on February 15, 2017, 01:48:27 pm
Everybody seems to forget the disaster recruiting classes in between Pel's first year and the class he left Mike with.

They also seem to forget the disasterous classes Mike has had except for the Portis class.

Sivad

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 08:31:11 am
Here are the facts:

(A) Pelphrey's last team at Arkansas had 18 wins.

(B) Pelphrey's last team earned an NIT bid even though he had been terminated (The U of A turned it down).

(C) All of the APR problems caused by Stan Heath had been Corrected to the point that only 1 scholarship would later be lost rather than multiple scholarships.

(D) Pel had a top 10 recruiting class headed to campus the next year and Rotnei would have returned for his senior season.

All of this proves that the program was on the upswing when Pel was terminated.
Pel should have sued. He had a better case than crazy Nolan.

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on February 15, 2017, 01:48:27 pm

Some also seem to forget what Stan Heath's horrible recruiting left Pel with in his second year too. A true dumpster fire.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 01:17:10 pm
Doesn't matter how you get there. Just get there remember. That's what so many have been saying. Even if it's after a 7-9 conference year that's great.

Youngsta71701

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 03:23:57 pm
Mike only had one class before the Portis and Kingsley class. WTH are you talking about? And that class wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either.
1. http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2012
2. http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2013
3. http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2014
4. http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2015
5. http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2016
6. http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2017
7. http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2018

I only see one class that might be considered questionable and that was only because we only signed two players. And that's the 2015 class.

I consider it a bad class if the players do not stay around, so take Babb out of that class and Whitt out of his and those classes were not very good. Plus, and Biggus has addressed this, the classes did not fill needs, just as next years class, as it stands now, does not do either.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2017, 03:34:07 pm
I consider it a bad class if the players do not stay around, so take Babb out of that class and Whitt out of his and those classes were not very good. Plus, and Biggus has addressed this, the classes did not fill needs, just as next years class, as it stands now, does not do either.
1. Changing the rules now... ???
2. Next years class doesn't fill needs with Moses, Hannahs, and Watkins leaving?

Gafford for Moses, Garland for Watkins, and Hall for Watkins. Possible upgrades to me with the exception of Hannahs shooting and maybe Moses's scoring down low. Gafford does everything better than Moses but score. Garland does everything better than Hannahs but shoot. And Hall does everything better than Watkins except maybe take care of the ball. But who knows he might do a pretty good job at that too.

Do I wish we had a PG coming in next year's class? Yes. But to say it doesn't fill needs is ridiculous.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 03:41:03 pm
1. Changing the rules now... ???
2. Next years class doesn't fill needs with Moses, Hannahs, and Watkins leaving? Gafford for Moses, Garland for Watkins, and Hall for Watkins. Possible upgrades to me with the exception of Hannahs shooting.

Do I wish we had a PG coming in next year's class? Yes. But to say it doesn't fill needs is ridiculous.

I said that is how I look at recruiting classes. It does not matter if you sign the top 5 players in the country if none of them stick around to actually play for you.

As for next year, still no help at the 4, no PG, and a FR trying to replace a 4 Yr starter at the 5.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2017, 03:44:26 pm
I said that is how I look at recruiting classes. It does not matter if you sign the top 5 players in the country if none of them stick around to actually play for you.

As for next year, still no help at the 4, no PG, and a FR trying to replace a 4 Yr starter at the 5.
Se we should have signed 5 players instead of 3. When Moses leaves would you be comfortable with Thompson being our only Center? Gafford can play the 5 and the 4 mind you. Hall can play the 3 and the 4. Garland can play the 1, 2, and 3. Garland is more like a point forward if anything. Think Scottie Pippen.

Moses is a 2 year starter BTW.

20gauge

The big question is. Do those replacements put us in the tourney next year? This also comes down to player development and where these players are when they come in. The kind of players MA is getting still need development. So if no tourney this year how much longer should we wait. Cause next year is a bubble year as well by the looks of it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 03:46:56 pm
Se we should have signed 5 players instead of 3. When Moses leaves would you be comfortable with Thompson being our only Center? Gafford can play the 5 and the 4 mind you. Hall can play the 3 and the 4. Garland can play the 1, 2, and 3. Garland is more like a point forward if anything. Think Scottie Pippen.

Moses is a 2 year starter BTW.

That's the problem, Mike's roster management has never put us in position to be able to handle any key player leaving, even when you know they are leaving due to graduation. They should have signed as many as they could have signed.

Ok, so Gafford can play the 5 & 4, great, who plays the 5 when he is at the 4, or the 4 when he is at the 5, or both when he is sitting ( I assume he won't play 40 mins per game ). Hall may be a point forward, but I doubt he reminds anyone of Pippin in production, especially as a newcomer. 

hawgfan4life

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2017, 04:30:21 pm
That's the problem, Mike's roster management has never put us in position to be able to handle any key player leaving, even when you know they are leaving due to graduation. They should have signed as many as they could have signed.

Ok, so Gafford can play the 5 & 4, great, who plays the 5 when he is at the 4, or the 4 when he is at the 5, or both when he is sitting ( I assume he won't play 40 mins per game ). Hall may be a point forward, but I doubt he reminds anyone of Pippin in production, especially as a newcomer. 

Not a basketball expert, but we currently have 3 experienced players returning that can play the 4 and 5 if required.  One would be really light to play the 5, but there are a lot smaller players around the nation that do it every night.  If you want to say great players, then you might have an argument.  Just basing it on warm bodies, we have plenty for that benchmark.

Youngsta71701

1. Gafford and Thompson replaces Kingsley. Garland replaces Hannahs. Hall replaces Watkins. They are the only 3 graduating.
2. We only have 4 scholarships available. We've used 3 of them. Still waiting to see if a certain player is going to qualify to use the 4th. If not we save it for someone worthy. Don't want to use it just because we got it. You don't want to spend money on something unless it's worth it.
3. Gafford and Thompson can play both the 5 and 4. Thomas, Cook, Bailey, and Hall can play both that 4 and 3. In other words we have plenty of options for three positions.
4. Garland reminds me of Pippen when it comes to style of play. Didn't say anything about production. He still has to prove that.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 16, 2017, 09:28:11 am
1. Gafford and Thompson replaces Kingsley. Garland replaces Hannahs. Hall replaces Watkins. They are the only 3 graduating.
2. We only have 4 scholarships available. We've used 3 of them. Still waiting to see if a certain player is going to qualify to use the 4th. If not we save it for someone worthy. Don't want to use it just because we got it. You don't want to spend money on something unless it's worth it.
3. Gafford and Thompson can play both the 5 and 4. Thomas, Cook, Bailey, and Hall can play both that 4 and 3. In other words we have plenty of options for three positions.
4. Garland reminds me of Pippen when it comes to style of play. Didn't say anything about production. He still has to prove that.

Are you referring to Javon Franklin? Or Czar Perry?

ShadowHawg

What? How often does Arkansas replace a McDAA with another? That is one of your accusations here. You are also trying to claim that Qualls should have been expected to leave as well. It's a ridiculous assertion.

Even worse, you argue about 4's and 5's. Most teams don't have a true 5 anymore. We will have Bailey, Hall, Thompson, Thomas, and Cook as guys who can play the 4 spot if necessary.

I am failing to see your issue when I look at the actual roster.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2017, 09:31:53 am
Are you referring to Javon Franklin? Or Czar Perry?
Franklin, kid is a beast if he can keep his head on straight.