Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ronnie to Utah!

Started by Hog Belly, June 28, 2006, 08:01:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogtheball

I'm a huge Jazz fan - and a huge RB fan.  I'm the only guy around who's happy with the situation. He'll be a pretty good fit in Utah because they lack a slasher - and as a defensive combo with Andrei, they'll be dangerous in transition.  Also, with Boozer healthy this year they will be a playoff team - maybe even a dangerous one if they can come up with a center.   

They also got Paul Milsap (LaTech) who has led the NCAA in rebounding the last three years and averaged around 20 a game (better than Malone was in both).

My job takes me to Salt Lake during basketball season so I usually go to games (although it's been rough since Stockton retired).  I look forward to watching RB.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogtheball on June 28, 2006, 10:32:51 pm
I'm a huge Jazz fan - and a huge RB fan.  I'm the only guy around who's happy with the situation. He'll be a pretty good fit in Utah because they lack a slasher - and as a defensive combo with Andrei, they'll be dangerous in transition.  Also, with Boozer healthy this year they will be a playoff team - maybe even a dangerous one if they can come up with a center.   

They also got Paul Milsap (LaTech) who has led the NCAA in rebounding the last three years and averaged around 20 a game (better than Malone was in both).

My job takes me to Salt Lake during basketball season so I usually go to games (although it's been rough since Stockton retired).  I look forward to watching RB.

How huge are you?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: SiriusHog on June 28, 2006, 09:57:52 pm
uhm... he's lived in NWA for most of his life... which is also mostly (XwhiteX), and republican and right wing... whats the major difference?  karl malone did it for years and years..

Not on the UA campus, it's not!

Atreyu

For those saying they can't root for the Jazz, don't--root for Ronnie.

Edit: Stephen A Smith is a jackass. Every time he opens his mouth I hate him even more.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

hogtheball

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 28, 2006, 10:33:27 pm
Quote from: hogtheball on June 28, 2006, 10:32:51 pm

How huge are you?

I have to climb a ladder just to shave.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

nwarazfan

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on June 28, 2006, 10:04:18 pm
I cant remember, but didn't another black fella... Karl "The Mailman" Malone do pretty well in that whitey town? Why must it come down to this. I seriously doubt that RB would bich about whatever team took him #14 in the NBA Draft.

Salt Lake has to suck if you are a young pro athlete.  Kirilenko quips in this wonderful story about his fabulous wife that he enjoys his 5 months away so he can go to night clubs without anything being said to him.  I don't want to hear how SL isn't all that bad of a place to be young and rich.  It would suck knowing that the city is so conervative not to mention small to where a 6-7 black member of the Jazz will be noticed everywhere he goes.  Yes, I've been there and its beautiful but boring as hell.  I guess RB will have to make the most out of his road trips.  Going into tonight, RB thought he would be living it up in Chicago or Florida or Houston and then...Salt Lake.  Sorry RB.

Pignominious

Actually Utah sounds like a talented team.  Deron Williams, Kirelinko, Boozer, and Ronnie.  That lineup actually could make some noise.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

hogtheball

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on June 28, 2006, 10:50:59 pm
Actually Utah sounds like a talented team.  Deron Williams, Kirelinko, Boozer, and Ronnie.  That lineup actually could make some noise.

You left out their leading scorer and rebounder - Mehmet Okur.  Also, I imagine Brewer will be coming off the bench for awhile behind Gordan Giricek (if he's healthy).

Hogz87

Quote from: SiriusHog on June 28, 2006, 09:51:15 pm
Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on June 28, 2006, 09:36:08 pm
Quote from: Hogz87 on June 28, 2006, 08:34:41 pm
Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on June 28, 2006, 08:31:30 pm
Utah is the worst media market in the NBA and by far the most boring Western Conference team there is.  Brewer will be one of their better players along with Carlos Boozer.  At least he can wake up and look out over the Wasatch most mornings.   ;D

Andrei Kirilenko is a super star and their best player.

Kirilenko is good, but not quite a superstar.  I'd say he's comparable to Detlef Schrempf in many ways.  

kirilenko's wife is the superstar... she gives him a great 'allowance'

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635189228,00.html

Kirilenko is at least a star bordering super star status.  He's a 20, 10 guy when he's been healthy and also going to get 3 blocks a night.  He can score in multiple ways and can defend 4 positions.  Playing in Utah in their down time hasn't helped his status any b/c of the terrible marketability.

yraciv

The situation in SL is great for Ronnie!  He will get some significant minutes and the Jazz are a good franchise. Unlike the big conservatives on here; I feel that the Kirelinko story is funny and he is a lucky man if his wife trust him that much.

To Kill A Mockinghog

I can't imagine Ronnie being disappointed with going to the Jazz.  Salt Lake City is such a warm and inviting place for a young black man. 

tiber

Just visited Salt Lake a couple weeks ago for a tradeshow in the 'Salt Palace'.  Just a couple things, then I'll sit down:

If Ronnie wants to go out for a late snack after a game, options will be limited.  Very limited.  Doors close at 10pm pretty much everywhere.  Maybe I'm spoiled in CA on this. 

If Ronnie wants to find some nice white women to spend time with, options will be many.  Very many.   

BentonvilleJeff

I've been to a Jazz home game and it was the loudest NBA arena I've ever been to. I haven't been to them all but I've seen my fair share of NBA games. I was shocked at how loud it was. Almost like a college atmosphere. The only bad thing for us in Arkansas is we will probably get about 2 regular season games a year to watch.

tiber

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on June 28, 2006, 11:09:25 pm
I've been to a Jazz home game and it was the loudest NBA arena I've ever been to. I haven't been to them all but I've seen my fair share of NBA games. I was shocked at how loud it was. Almost like a college atmosphere. The only bad thing for us in Arkansas is we will probably get about 2 regular season games a year to watch.
Maybe you haven't been to a Sacramento game then?  Against someone who matters that is... Lakers>Hawks for example.

Hogz87

Have you been to a Mavs game BentovilleJeff?  I went to watch them play the Suns a couple years back and it was very loud.

werehog

The lottery pick use to be for spots one through six, but it keeps expanding like the NCAA BB Tourney. I thought the lottery was one through 10 or 11, but it might have expanded once again.

Hogz87

The lottery is no 1-14.  Corliss was the last pick in the lottery when he went 13th to the Kings back in 1996.  When the Bobacts were added to the NBA then the lottery was expanded one more team.  The lottery grows when there are expansion teams added to the league.

nwarazfan

Quote from: werehog on June 28, 2006, 11:28:11 pm
The lottery pick use to be for spots one through six, but it keeps expanding like the NCAA BB Tourney. I thought the lottery was one through 10 or 11, but it might have expanded once again.

It was 13 recently for a number of seasons and I think its now 14 with Charlotte added.

BentonvilleJeff

Quote from: tiber on June 28, 2006, 11:17:44 pm
Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on June 28, 2006, 11:09:25 pm
Maybe you haven't been to a Sacramento game then?  Against someone who matters that is... Lakers>Hawks for example.
Quote from: Hogz87 on June 28, 2006, 11:20:27 pm
Have you been to a Mavs game BentovilleJeff?  I went to watch them play the Suns a couple years back and it was very loud.
Never been to Sac, I can't compare the two. Yes, I've been to a couple Mavs games. Loud but like I say I thought Utah was louder by quite a bit.

Hogz87

Must have been very, very loud then at Utah.

ClubChubby

That skyline is spectacular.
I believe I could hang out there a few years.

Queen Hog

Congratulations Ronnie.  Hey, my dog's name is Jazz and both my twins are musicians.  I see it as a good omen. 
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

brooklynjazz

Ouch guys!  Come on, and show a little more love.

Our fan base was all begging for Brewer to slip.

After every player ahead of us, even redick, was picked, our chat room exploded.
Everyone was hoping he would slip.
We were calling it "brewermania".

I know Utah sucks, that's why I live in Brooklyn.  Jazz basketball is good though.
We have a playoff ready team now with Boozer, AK47, Okur, Brewer, and Deron Williams.

Is there a nickname you guys have for Brewer?

Once again, the jazz fans base is thrilled to have your star.

Can you give us some insight on what we can expect from him?

Cheers (yes I drink haha),

daniel in brooklyn

chillinhoggie

Quote from: brooklynjazz on June 29, 2006, 06:24:56 am
Ouch guys!  Come on, and show a little more love.

Our fan base was all begging for Brewer to slip.

After every player ahead of us, even redick, was picked, our chat room exploded.
Everyone was hoping he would slip.
We were calling it "brewermania".

I know Utah sucks, that's why I live in Brooklyn.  Jazz basketball is good though.
We have a playoff ready team now with Boozer, AK47, Okur, Brewer, and Deron Williams.

Is there a nickname you guys have for Brewer?

Once again, the jazz fans base is thrilled to have your star.

Can you give us some insight on what we can expect from him?

Cheers (yes I drink haha),

daniel in brooklyn
You can expect an ugly but fairly accurate jump shot, points off steals and dunks, a 6'7" dude with the arms and hands a of a 7 footer, not tremendous at 1on1 defense but likes to jump into the passing lane.   Someone who can slash and score and pass, if you use him right he can run the point.      nickname ?   Lil Boot..... but he might not like that one. :P

brooklynjazz

thank you chillin'.  Lil boot eh?  Kinda funny, I like it,  I wonder what will catch on. 
I think the Jazz will have him play a little point or at least handle the ball a lot. 
Was he your favorite player on last years team?

Smithian

http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Many more posts about Dee Brown(2nd Round) than Ronnie Brewer.

CorningHog

Getting drafted in the 1st round is an honor and true gift from God above for Ronnie Brewer and his family.  I am sure he is not only thankful and humbled by what blessings will be coming his way in the near future with a huge $$$$$ contract, but he will also have the opportunity to be an example of a fine Christian young man that has been raised right by his Mom & Dad.

Utah is getting a great young man and a very talented basketball player.  Regardless of what I think of the major influences that come out of Utah and Salt Lake City as far as a certain denomination of church, I think this will give Ronnie a chance to also let his personal testimony of what the Lord has done for him speak volumes as the media and fans of that market get to know him.

I pray he stays on the narrow road and does not allow all the bad influences and temptations out there cause him to wander.  I have never been there and do not know a thing about the place or city etc...

Ronnie, remember there is one God, one Son & one Savior, that I believe, you already know real well!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

chillinhoggie

Quote from: brooklynjazz on June 29, 2006, 08:15:30 am
thank you chillin'.  Lil boot eh?  Kinda funny, I like it,  I wonder what will catch on. 
I think the Jazz will have him play a little point or at least handle the ball a lot. 

His Dad was called Boothead and I don't think he really liked it all that much I always called him Ron to his face but Boothead is so much fun to say....   I doubt Jr. really cares. It's been fun watching him grow up. I'm excited for him and trying to warm up to Utah. Sloan is a great coach and the have some talent out there my problem with it is personal.... we'll never get to see him play.   

brooklynjazz

Quote from: chillinhoggie on June 29, 2006, 08:39:48 am
Quote from: brooklynjazz on June 29, 2006, 08:15:30 am

His Dad was called Boothead and I don't think he really liked it all that much I always called him Ron to his face but Boothead is so much fun to say....   I doubt Jr. really cares. It's been fun watching him grow up. I'm excited for him and trying to warm up to Utah. Sloan is a great coach and the have some talent out there my problem with it is personal.... we'll never get to see him play.  

Yeah, it is hard for me to see them here in Brooklyn as well.  You'll get a handful of national games throughout the year, and hopefully all the playoff games.  I'll come back and post updates on how he is doing during the season. 

Brewer will be showcased in 2 weeks at the Rocky Mountain Revue Summer League.  If any of you have NBA TV you can catch all the games on there.  Usually they are tape delayed though.
Should be exciting to see what Brewer can do against other NBA prospects.

Thanks for the info chillin'.

GrizzledHogFan

I did a bit of reading on http://www.jazzfanz.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=1, and the fans there seem split about 50/50 on whether they're happy about getting Brewer.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Hogz87

Brewer was their best pick there's no doubting that.  Brown will be rejoining his backcourt mate from a college team that was almost perfect.  Considering he would've been a first round pick last year had he not been injured it is a good pick, if he can play up to his potential the Jazz got first round talent in Dee Brown as well.  I'd still rather have Ronnie Brewer because he can do many different things to help a team out.

cocheesetim

Let me just start by saying that I found this board through a Utah Jazz fans board and heard that there was some Utah bashing going on.  

I am a whitie ford from Utah, but I have spent a lot of time in Arkansas.  My grandparents live in Hot Springs Village.  I spent almost every summer there and love your state.  In fact, I am planning to visit again in September.

Couple of things, I personally have wanted RB to play with the Jazz ever since he put his name in the draft.  I think he is exactally what we need.  Also he will be treated like a superstar here even if he is not.  Jazz fans will love an embrace this kid like no other team in the league.  

Finally, Utah is not as bad as you guys might think.  Not everyone is Mormon, not everyone is white.  In fact there are a lot of Latinos, and Islanders here.  Most of the Black people I have talked to that have come here actually really like it.  Not all do, but that is true with anywhere you go.  There are strip clubs here, they do sell beer.  Park City is close and there is a great night life up there.  He will be fine here.

As far as you not liking the Jazz, that is fine but there is at least on Hogs fan who also is a Jazz fan.  I am probably the only person in all of Utah that grew up rooting for the Hogs and that has Nolan Richardson's autograph. lol.  Now that I found this board I will be here more often to get my Razorback fix.

SloppinItandLovnIt

At least we know that Ronnie is going to be getting alot of playing time with that team. But if history teaches us anything about players drafted out of Arkansas they will not stay with the same team long, just ask Joe Johnson, and Corliss about their migrations across the country and back again.
Welcome to Arkansas, well if there is nothing to bitch about we will just make something up.

hogtheball

Quote from: cocheesetim on June 29, 2006, 12:43:32 pm
Let me just start by saying that I found this board through a Utah Jazz fans board and heard that there was some Utah bashing going on.  

I am a whitie ford from Utah, but I have spent a lot of time in Arkansas.  My grandparents live in Hot Springs Village.  I spent almost every summer there and love your state.  In fact, I am planning to visit again in September.

Couple of things, I personally have wanted RB to play with the Jazz ever since he put his name in the draft.  I think he is exactally what we need.  Also he will be treated like a superstar here even if he is not.  Jazz fans will love an embrace this kid like no other team in the league.  

Finally, Utah is not as bad as you guys might think.  Not everyone is Mormon, not everyone is white.  In fact there are a lot of Latinos, and Islanders here.  Most of the Black people I have talked to that have come here actually really like it.  Not all do, but that is true with anywhere you go.  There are strip clubs here, they do sell beer.  Park City is close and there is a great night life up there.  He will be fine here.

As far as you not liking the Jazz, that is fine but there is at least on Hogs fan who also is a Jazz fan.  I am probably the only person in all of Utah that grew up rooting for the Hogs and that has Nolan Richardson's autograph. lol.  Now that I found this board I will be here more often to get my Razorback fix.

Welcome cocheese.  The guys moaned about the Jaguars after matt Jones got drafted, but now Jacksonville jerseys are as common as Ford f-150s around here.  If Brewer works as hard as Sloan will demand, he'll be a good fit.  In a town where even Ostertag was a hero, RB will find a lot to like there.

Hogz87

Quote from: SloppinItandLovnIt on June 29, 2006, 12:56:48 pm
At least we know that Ronnie is going to be getting alot of playing time with that team. But if history teaches us anything about players drafted out of Arkansas they will not stay with the same team long, just ask Joe Johnson, and Corliss about their migrations across the country and back again.

Don't forget about Pargo.  He's been quite the journeyman as well.

tiber

Quote from: cocheesetim on June 29, 2006, 12:43:32 pm

I am a whitie ford from Utah, but I have spent a lot of time in Arkansas.  My grandparents live in Hot Springs Village.  I spent almost every summer there and love your state.  In fact, I am planning to visit again in September.

Couple of things, I personally have wanted RB to play with the Jazz ever since he put his name in the draft.  I think he is exactally what we need.  Also he will be treated like a superstar here even if he is not.  Jazz fans will love an embrace this kid like no other team in the league. 

Finally, Utah is not as bad as you guys might think.  Not everyone is Mormon, not everyone is white.  In fact there are a lot of Latinos, and Islanders here.  Most of the Black people I have talked to that have come here actually really like it.  Not all do, but that is true with anywhere you go.  There are strip clubs here, <b>they do sell beer.</b>  Park City is close and there is a great night life up there.  He will be fine here.

As far as you not liking the Jazz, that is fine but there is at least on Hogs fan who also is a Jazz fan.  I am probably the only person in all of Utah that grew up rooting for the Hogs and that has Nolan Richardson's autograph. lol.  Now that I found this board I will be here more often to get my Razorback fix.
3.2 Beer.... to be specific.  I know that's the case in other places as well though.  Also, that 'shot timer' that's on every liquor bottle in bars is interesting.

CorningHog

I think Ronnie will be fine, and I think Utah has some great appeal from afar, but I have never been there.  I used to enjoy the Utah Jazz with Malone & Stockton but I rarely watch the NBA.  Usually only during the playoffs and even then for just a few minutes.

If a former Razorback is on, I would be more inclined to watch.

I hope Ronnie Brewer goes over there and does very well and I think with Dee Brown they could be a great tandem.  Along with of course the others that are there now.

I will certainly follow Ronnie B jr's career!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

bigred7987

The reason there are so many islanders is because alot of hawaians and samoans are mormon.  You will notice every big Samoan or Hawaian recruit has BYU on their list. 
Sorry but everytime I think of Utah all I can think of is the southpark episode where they made fun of mormons...funniest thing ever lol

hawaiijazzfan

As a hawaiian, I can tell you that there are just as many if not MORE polynesians that are non-mormon (in Utah). Anyways, I am STOKED that we got Brewer (and almost all of the posters from my board are as well... it is a private board) he was one of the ones that I wanted most. I grew up in Utah and recently moved to Phoenix, and they are pretty similar. To tell you the truth there are more Mormons in the area I live in now than there were in Utah. I know that Charles Barkley actually liked it when he would visit Utah, and I remember hearing MJ say that he thought that SLC was one of the hidden gems west of the Mississppi. Listening to his press conference it seems like he is happy, and that he is a stand-up guy. The jazz were lucky to get him. I would like to wish the Razorbacks good luck next year, they seem to have some good passionate fans.

Oh yeah... the articles in the trib, sucked. Some of those writers would have had some negative comments if we were drafting Oden.

Scat

June 30, 2006, 03:37:47 am #89 Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 03:42:26 am by Scat
Quote from: CorningHog on June 29, 2006, 08:29:14 am
Regardless of what I think of the major influences that come out of Utah and Salt Lake City as far as a certain denomination of church, I think this will give Ronnie a chance to also let his personal testimony of what the Lord has done for him speak volumes as the media and fans of that market get to know him.

How do you know that the Mormon god did not have a hand in getting Brewer to SLC where he would be exposed to a different point of view? One not so narrow minded?

Quote from: CorningHog on June 29, 2006, 08:29:14 amI have never been there and do not know a thing about the place or city etc...

Seems to me that you have already made up your mind based on your comments.

As a Jazz fan first and foremost, I am extremely excited to have Brewer here in Utah regardless of his personal beliefs. As long as Brewer produces on the court I couldn't give a rat's arse about his religious beliefs. He could worship a rock for all I care.

Then again, maybe I should have the Mormon missionaries make a house call... no sense in letting a perfectly good convert go to waste!!   ;)

Go Jazz and the '06-'07 rookie of the year!!