Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rakestraw

Started by The Coletrain, June 15, 2006, 09:35:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Coletrain

June 15, 2006, 09:35:38 pm Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 06:08:22 pm by The Coletrain
Is it confirmed that he has commited? 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

BPPig

Arkansas1

that is awesome , i have seen this kid play this summer in numerous aau tournaments and he can shoot the ball like u wouldn't believe.

BPPig

A shooter and an Arkansas kid to boot. I am sure proud of Stan recruiting in state players. It drove me crazy to lose to Ole Miss when they had more Arkansans than we did.

BillClinton

This means that we will only be able to take either James Anderson or Sanchez. I can only assume that we will be more likely to get Sanchez since he and Rakestraw are teammates.  It would be very dissapointing to lose out on Anderson, who is possibly the best player to come out of Arkansas since Brewer.

return2glory

First of all, congratulations to Nate and his family. Awesome accomplishment! I hope he tears it up on the Hill and is, like another post mentioned, the white version of Todd Day. I wish him nothing but the best.

However, this offer really stunned me. With only two scholarships to hand out this year, and with a lot of highly regarded prospects still on the board, I am shocked at the offer. Again, I can't fault Nate for this at all, and I hope that he will give our team the shooting/perimeter defense that it needs. I just thought that we would wait for James Anderson, Sanchez, Kodi Augustus, Anthony Randolph (I know we have next to no chance of getting him) and others who will cement themselves as top tier national prospects in this summer's AAU tournaments.

I realize that Stan is possibly recruiting to fill needs, which is what a lot of us have asked for, but with only two scholarships, something about this just feels funny to me.

Hopefully, James Anderson did not commit to OSU and we are still in the running for him. We need a stud to round out this class.

Again, congratulations to Nate and I wish him nothing but the best. This post was in no way meant to slight his talents or accomplishments.

Hawgbrew

I think we can trust Heaths recruiting.  He can obviously see something he likes in Rakestraw.  We definatley have been missing a tall off guard that can shoot lights out.  Nate will fill that roll nicely. 

return2glory

Quote from: Hawgbrew on June 16, 2006, 08:39:55 am
I think we can trust Heaths recruiting.  He can obviously see something he likes in Rakestraw.  We definatley have been missing a tall off guard that can shoot lights out.  Nate will fill that roll nicely. 

I would tend to agree with you. My only concern is if he is strong/quick enough to defend on an SEC level. After all shooting does not an SEC player make. Just ask Preston Cranford and Jason Gilbert.

I'm not saying Rakestraw is going to be a bust by any means, I just didn't feel that he was one of our two main targets in this recruiting class, especially since there is a LOT of AAU ball left to be played. Remember how Denis Clemente came out of no where a couple of years back and how Patrick Beverley did the same this past year? You can count on that happening again this summer. There are kids out there that we aren't even aware of that can be big time college players. Not to mention the ones that we were already recruiting (Anderson, Ravern Johnson (could he be swayed away from MissStake), Randolph, Augustus, etc.).

HogKong

3kgthog

Har-Ber was on local tv a few times last year so I watched to see how good Sanchez was. I was in no way impressed with Rakestraw. He looked like Preston Cranford part two. Heath will get him on campus and see him against SEC caliber players and realize he needs a redshirt year. Heath wanted him to walk-on in the beginning for crying out loud. Now he's suddenly worthy of this offer? Riiiight. Stan must be preparing for one of this big targets to commit elsewhere.

J.A.Y.

This is a bit annoying. MANY people have rode Stan hard for not bringing in a lights out shooter, a Pat Bradley or Al Dillard.

He does and now the question is, well he can shoot but can he defend in the SEC.

Could Bradley? Or Dillard? NO way.

But they hit big time shots when we needed them, and man have we needed them lately.

Congrats, Nate love to see you wearing the Hog Badge with Pride like an Arkie should, and shoot the lights out brotha!
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

return2glory

Bradley ended up being an average defender by the time he left Arkansas. Dillard had all the athleticism in the world and could have been a defender if that was the role that Nolan had chose for him. Not saying Dillard got a free pass out there, but his job was to come in and put up some quick points. With the 40 min of Hell defense, he didn't have to be a great or even good perimeter defender.

I'm not sure that we are to the point where we should be recruiting a kid that fills one need, albeit a very strong need. To me we still need the best all around players available. Especially on the perimeter. Again, Preston Cranford doesn't help you if he can't play defense, rebound some, and make good timely decisions.

Also, I'd like to reiterate that I am not down on Rakestraw. That would be unfair since I haven't seen him play much. My big question is have pushed the panic button and gone to plan B already? Or is Rakestraw just what the doctor ordered? I, admittedly, am not qualified to make that assessment. It just seems like there are a lot of good uncommitted players out there and we only have one scholarship to fish with.

Hawgballz

This has to be one of the most curious offers in Razorback history, mainly because of timing.  If we only have 2 scollies to offer then I would have hoped we would have waited a little longer to see what some of the more highly regarded players we were pursuing were going to do, but I trust Stan in that he must have seen something he really liked in the kid, of course I also trusted Stan to keep Dontrell Jefferson off the court against Buchnellie and had my heart broke in Dallas.  Someone help me, I have not had time to look it up and my memory is not perfect, the 2 scholarships is that with pulling Preston Cranford's or would pulling Cranford's give us 3 scholarships to offer next year.  Last but definitely not least are Congratulations are in order for Mr. Rakestraw and his family.  I am certain he and his family have put their heart & soul into this effort and it is great to see them rewarded.  GO  :razorback: GO
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

labb

June 16, 2006, 11:20:59 am #13 Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:07:03 pm by labb
We will have a scholarship reserved for Mr. Anderson...There is also a kid from Junction City that all should be aware of. Last name is Britt. He will be big time(Woops, that is IMO). He will probably end up at a Prep School and we have a great shot at him...Opinion---There are some really good BB players coming out of the State this year and next year. If Stan signs the pick of the litter of them and can land a big time (McD's AA) from out of state in the next two years, You better get you tickets. They are going to be hard to come by.

Correction: Britt is from Forrest City...Thanks

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: HawgBall06 on June 16, 2006, 11:15:28 am
This has to be one of the most curious offers in Razorback history, mainly because of timing.  If we only have 2 scollies to offer then I would have hoped we would have waited a little longer to see what some of the more highly regarded players we were pursuing were going to do, but I trust Stan in that he must have seen something he really liked in the kid, of course I also trusted Stan to keep Dontrell Jefferson off the court against Buchnellie and had my heart broke in Dallas.  Someone help me, I have not had time to look it up and my memory is not perfect, the 2 scholarships is that with pulling Preston Cranford's or would pulling Cranford's give us 3 scholarships to offer next year.  Last but definitely not least are Congratulations are in order for Mr. Rakestraw and his family.  I am certain he and his family have put their heart & soul into this effort and it is great to see them rewarded.  GO  :razorback: GO

Maybe he has two more ships to give out since Ronnie is gone.

Gotta have Shanchez and Anderson.

thahawg

Quote from: labb on June 16, 2006, 11:20:59 am
We will have a scholarship reserved for Mr. Anderson...There is also a kid from Junction City that all should be aware of. Last name is Britt. He will be big time(Woops, that is IMO). He will probably end up at a Prep School and we have a great shot at him...Opinion---There are some really good BB players coming out of the State this year and next year. If Stan signs the pick of the litter of them and can land a big time (McD's AA) from out of state in the next two years, You better get you tickets. They are going to be hard to come by.

Isn't the Britt kid from Forrest City?

Corkscrew Johnson

Is Rakestraw a walk-on possibility?  As in, we offer him a scholarship, land two studs, and then try to convince Rakestraw to walk-on for a year or two?

return2glory

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on June 16, 2006, 11:21:17 am

It's my understanding that the 2 total scholarships are all we have. Brewer would have been a senior and graduated, so him leaving didn't free up a scholarship for the 2007 class. Also, I think don't think Cranford is on scholarship anymore, or they might give him Brewer's for a year, but taking that scholarship away still only leaves us with 2 available. One was used on Rakestraw, so we have one left. Hopefully James Anderson will jump on that one.

NateMan

Here is an article on Rakestraw in today's DemGaz:

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/157814/

Looks like Heath initially offered to let him walk-on and then earn a scholarship after his first year.  Although I have no inside info, I would bet that if it came down to it, Rakestraw would be willing to give up his scholarship and walk-on his first year (especially if that was the only way to get his buddy Sanchez as a Hog).

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: return2glory on June 16, 2006, 01:01:37 pm

It's my understanding that the 2 total scholarships are all we have. Brewer would have been a senior and graduated, so him leaving didn't free up a scholarship for the 2007 class. Also, I think don't think Cranford is on scholarship anymore, or they might give him Brewer's for a year, but taking that scholarship away still only leaves us with 2 available. One was used on Rakestraw, so we have one left. Hopefully James Anderson will jump on that one.

I could have sworn we had 3 to give. Maybe im wrong.

With Sanchez, Anderson, and Augustus still out there maybe we do have more ships to give out.

return2glory

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on June 16, 2006, 01:25:00 pm
Quote from: return2glory on June 16, 2006, 01:01:37 pm

I could have sworn we had 3 to give. Maybe im wrong.

With Sanchez, Anderson, and Augustus still out there maybe we do have more ships to give out.

I sure hope that you are right, but I could have sworn that I remembered hearing that we only have two for this class. Any help Stewie or TRG?

forrest city joe

I think stan knows this is D. townes last year at arkansas. the numbers will take care of themselves. we need shooters in our program in the worst way. from what i hear this kid is not another preston cranford. he is more like pat bradley. and thats good. i think stan will bring in 3 recruites this year.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: forrest city joe on June 17, 2006, 01:16:37 pm
                          I think stan knows this is D. townes last year at arkansas. the numbers will take care of themselves. we need shooters in our program in the worst way. from what i hear this kid is not another preston cranford. he is more like pat bradley. and thats good. i think stan will bring in 3 recruites this year.

Townes thinks he's going pro after this year?
Gotta work on making your dunks first. I know he had a bad knee but it looked like he could have done a little more.

I hope he has grown up a little bit and stopped the freakin pouting. We're gonna need him big time this year to be one of our go to guys.

Great to see that Washington will be able  to play next season.

Valerie

Did Nate graduate, I thought he was a jr?

NateMan

He will be a senior this fall at Har-Ber.

werehog

If we don't get James Anderson, I for one will be P.O.'d. I hope the rest of the Razorback nation will be as well.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: werehog on June 18, 2006, 05:23:22 pm
If we don't get James Anderson, I for one will be P.O.'d. I hope the rest of the Razorback nation will be as well.

If we dont get Anderson, we need to replace him with Augustus or Dar Tucker from Michigan.

hog caller

anderson or rakesstraw will be nice to have on board but we have a shooter there that sat the boards last year. it would be sad to se thwese guys get ths same treatment as mccurdy

southeasthog

Quote from: werehog on June 18, 2006, 05:23:22 pm
Not to start anything, but how will that be any different than you are now? You're negative about everything.

BPPig

Here is a link to an article on Nate. It seems his AAU coach sure loves him. I sure love him being an Arkie.

http://wholehogsports.com/adg/158243/

NateMan

Pretty impressive quote from Rakestraw's AAU coach in the article mentioned above:

"Nate is a better player than him [Jonathon Modica]. Nate will be able to play and help Arkansas immediately. With his NBA range on his shots and improved athleticism, if you squeeze him, he will drive by you, and if you back off, he will shoot it on you in a heartbeat."

werehog

Southeast Hog, I am upset that we are so complacement about mediocrity. Twenty-five years ago, no one ever mentioned the UCONN Huskies in any sport. Then somebody at the school made the decision that they could and would be a major basketball power. Presto, it happened in both men's and women's hoops. Now, UCONN recruits from Florida to Canada and from the East Coast to West Coast. They are going head-to-head with UCLA for Kevin Love and Kyle Singler with Duke and UNC being in the mix. They are in the process of building a top notch D1 football team. I am sick and tired our our "we're poor little Arkansas and we can't be expected to compete with the big boys." Why not? UCONN doesn't have a huge instate talent base so it goes where the good players are and brings them back to UCONN.

Jim Harris

Quote from: werehog on June 20, 2006, 05:33:13 pm
Southeast Hog, I am upset that we are so complacement about mediocrity. Twenty-five years ago, no one ever mentioned the UCONN Huskies in any sport. Then somebody at the school made the decision that they could and would be a major basketball power. Presto, it happened in both men's and women's hoops. Now, UCONN recruits from Florida to Canada and from the East Coast to West Coast. They are going head-to-head with UCLA for Kevin Love and Kyle Singler with Duke and UNC being in the mix. They are in the process of building a top notch D1 football team. I am sick and tired our our "we're poor little Arkansas and we can't be expected to compete with the big boys." Why not? UCONN doesn't have a huge instate talent base so it goes where the good players are and brings them back to UCONN.

But, werehog, they have ESPN in their backyard. We have Bo Mattingly and Razorback Nation. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

werehog

Point well taken, Drakehog, but their rise began before ESPN really got going.

Jim Harris

Quote from: werehog on June 21, 2006, 07:59:25 am
Point well taken, Drakehog, but their rise began before ESPN really got going.

I know, I was just getting in a jab at Bo. Seriously, Jim Calhoun did a great job at Northeastern and probably should have made the 1990 Final Four against us if not for Christian Laettner luck, but then UConn won on a luck shot two nights before against Clemson.
I started really taking notice of UConn when they would be us for guys that MAnderson was really high on, like Ricky Short or whatever his name was out of Georgia. Goes to UConn, and over us when we were still something. That Calhoun could beat Nolan for Okafor, from Houston, though, really sucked.
When you see the kind of athletes they continually bring in now. though, you have to wonder who's footing the bill. There is always a shady UNLV out there and always players willing to be "enticed." We know Syracuse has played the AAU buying game for a long time, and the rest of those teams have got to compete with that. It's just easier for those EPSNs and national media guys in the major markets up there to ignore that crap or not even utter a suspicion while preaching on and on about how the SEC is "the dirtiest league around." I call bs. There's plenty of shadiness going on all over.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

imisswarrenlinn

This is why the phrase, "Let's hold onto a scholarship so we will have it for next year's class" should never, ever be uttered. Granted Ramar Smith bolted on his own behalf, but there were many, many people on this board during the whole time of "Beverely vs. Smith" that were saying, "Let's get one or the other so we can save a scholarship for next year when all the 18-star guys are lined up to be Razorbacks".

Get what you can, when you can, because no matter what you hear, read or think about 18-22 year old kids, you can never believe it.

It will be the same song and dance next spring when there is that mythical collection of top junior talent who is going to shun the Dukes and North Carolinas to come and neatly land on the doorstep of Bud Walton with a nice pretty bow. And there will be a graduating high school senior who will either directly or indirectly be forced to look elsewhere because "next year's class is unbelievable". Did this influence Ramar Smith last year? Who knows? Maybe it did.

As far as the Rakestraw kid goes, I know nothing about him other than what I have read here. I certainly hope he is as good as some of you are saying. I also know, however, that he is not one of the guys some of you were hoping to give that "scholarship we saved" to.
Prettiest little girl ever I saw, stood on the banks of the Arkansas. Her eyes were wild and her stare was mean. She's the prettiest d@mn girl ever I seen.

Pignominious

Quote from: imisswarrenlinn on June 27, 2006, 04:01:46 pm
This is why the phrase, "Let's hold onto a scholarship so we will have it for next year's class" should never, ever be uttered. Granted Ramar Smith bolted on his own behalf, but there were many, many people on this board during the whole time of "Beverely vs. Smith" that were saying, "Let's get one or the other so we can save a scholarship for next year when all the 18-star guys are lined up to be Razorbacks".

Get what you can, when you can, because no matter what you hear, read or think about 18-22 year old kids, you can never believe it.

It will be the same song and dance next spring when there is that mythical collection of top junior talent who is going to shun the Dukes and North Carolinas to come and neatly land on the doorstep of Bud Walton with a nice pretty bow. And there will be a graduating high school senior who will either directly or indirectly be forced to look elsewhere because "next year's class is unbelievable". Did this influence Ramar Smith last year? Who knows? Maybe it did.

As far as the Rakestraw kid goes, I know nothing about him other than what I have read here. I certainly hope he is as good as some of you are saying. I also know, however, that he is not one of the guys some of you were hoping to give that "scholarship we saved" to.

Just to throw it out there Ramar Smith is still in limbo to qualify.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

The Coletrain

That's a lovely addition to this thread, Bearclaw.  Not that I ever wish anything bad on recruits, but it's always a nice consolation prize when you hear that we won't be the recipient of that bad news.  Nothing worse than winning a recruiting battle only to lose the recruit to an academic casualty. 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

pork and mindy

Apparently Rakestraw has really shown a lot of growth this summer. If he is as improved as they say, it's good we went ahead and got in on him. Supposedly Stan offered him now to head off offers from other D1 schools that were soon to come in. Let's hope Stan made the right decision.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: The Coletrain on June 27, 2006, 06:50:53 pm
That's a lovely addition to this thread, Bearclaw.  Not that I ever wish anything bad on recruits, but it's always a nice consolation prize when you hear that we won't be the recipient of that bad news.  Nothing worse than winning a recruiting battle only to lose the recruit to an academic casualty. 

Or to the NBA Draft (cough...Jefferson...cough)