Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bucknell Thread

Started by HogHeathen, March 13, 2006, 08:47:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mutdog

I don't want to sound uppity, but, after reviewing Bucknell's schedule I have no idea how they could be a 9 seed.  They were 0-2 against top 10 and 1-2 against top 30.  Then, look at their conference; It is about as weak as it gets.  Please, does anyone have any ideas.

That's not to say that they will not be a tough win, but our overall competition should make us tougher overall.  I do understand that anybody can win a game on any given night, but their schedule leaves a lot to be desired.

hog caller

mutdog, maybe their league is tough for them. they have been know to win big when least expected.

let's don't sell them short til the smoke cleasrs . i hope the Hogs have an easy time of it and will have energy to play Memphis on sunday.

GO HOG's

PigPusher

March 14, 2006, 09:23:36 am #53 Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:26:32 pm by PigPusher
agreed
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

HawgNTexas

Pretty insulting article, very uppity

Lokirain

I think you are right, we need to write in. But Bucknell has earned some respect. They are a quality team. And concerning the 100% graduation thing, wow, that is outstanding. If Bucknell wasn't playing us, I would root for these guys, too bad they are walking into a buzzsaw.

Hoggy Potter

Isn't this Stan's 4th year...not 3rd? 
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

LA HAWG

krack1925

it was one of thier articles.... what did you want it to say?  Arkansas is going to trash us?   They have to play the game that brought them to the dance or they will get beat.....  I wouldn't say that is uppity.  They compared the Bison to Vandy and then said we beat Vandy....  that is the hometown paper, that is about as good as you are going to get.....

Hogs4Ever

Good read.  Tenn. was ranked for their whole season's accomplishments and not for their recent play.  I agree that they don't deserve a 2 seed.

Hogs4Ever

Buttsmell will have to play their best game to beat us while I think we can win even if we're not hitting on all cylinders.

Hoggy Potter

Quote from: krack1925 on March 14, 2006, 09:39:11 am
it was one of thier articles.... what did you want it to say? 

I wanted it to at least get the facts right.  Hometown or not it is not hard to find out that he has been here 4 years. 

Otherwise I agree with you.  Every team has it's homers.
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

hogfog

6' 10" Stephen Hill? Boy are they in for a surprise. I doubt they've seen a wingspan like his in the Patriot Conference.

krack1925

yes... facts correct in a paper is good but it is kind of funny....  he is talking them up and while doing it proves he is an idiot...

btw didn't kent make it to the 16 not 8 in stan's year there???  how is that nearly the final 4???

PigPusher

March 14, 2006, 09:53:49 am #65 Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:27:22 pm by PigPusher
Hmmmm..
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PiggoBitttys

No, Stan took them to the Elite 8.

krack1925

my bad.....  guess i should apply for a job with that paper.

musiccityhog

Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

HawgNTexas

Quote from: krack1925 on March 14, 2006, 09:39:11 am
it was one of thier articles.... what did you want it to say?  Arkansas is going to trash us?   They have to play the game that brought them to the dance or they will get beat.....  I wouldn't say that is uppity.  They compared the Bison to Vandy and then said we beat Vandy....  that is the hometown paper, that is about as good as you are going to get.....

He calls the Bisons "diligent, beautifully patterned" and the Razorbacks "impatient, disruptive".  Calling a basketball team beautiful and diligent is pretty uppity in my opinion, especially in the same sentence as several negative words about the other team.  Our biggest homers don't generally do such a thing. 

hogmary

How far the Razorback basketball program has fallen:"not known for their defense". 

wishyjoshy

"The best facsimile available for the Razorbacks is Vanderbilt and that bodes ominously for the Bison. Arkansas handled the Commodores 78-66 in Fayetteville. Though Vandy runs the Princeton system more comparable to Northwestern, it's the same patient pace."

I think that speaks highly of the results this paper is anticipating.

PigPusher

March 14, 2006, 10:57:49 am #72 Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:28:14 pm by PigPusher
They will know after it is over with.

_Collin1

They graduate 100 percent of their players????????????

OH stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will never beat them now...  100 percent graduation rate will beat a team coughing up 20 turnovers anyday.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

HogInaStrangeLand

Yes, I do like that everyone is seeming to 'root' against us, or at least not pick us to win...

RazorWire

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 13, 2006, 04:19:15 pm
Quote from: mutdog on March 13, 2006, 02:54:14 pm
The one thing that we don't want to happen is for Bucknell to slow the game down; meaning pass the ball around efficiently for 25 seconds to obtain an open 3.  Based on their 3 point shooting percentage of 39% they would probably hit an open 3.

Im sorry, but would 39% mean that they would probably miss?   ;)

39% from 3 pt land is a great average...

Tomhog™

I wonder how closely Bucknell's play resembles Vanderbilt.  I've seen that comparison on articles.  We beat Vandy 78-66 fairly easily.  I wonder how much better Bucknell's players are than Vandy...

HawgWild

Quote from: wishiwasinark on March 13, 2006, 05:15:57 pm
Based on the way we shoot the ball if we come out tight, or go limp for long periods of time which we have a tendency to do, then Bucknell could win. They have the experiance in the tournament that we do not have. Even if we have a good first 25-30 minutes if we let them back in it in the middle of the 2nd half the pressure goes up by leaps and bounds- you see it every year multiple times over.

What we need to do is control the boards which we have not done very well this year.  We also have to play good perimeter defense and that that part of their game away since I think our big bodies can hold their own defensively in the paint without much help from the guards. But we have not played very well on perimeter defense and their are good enough and experianced enough to exploit that if we do not. They shoot 10-15 3ptrs like Florida did and we are in trouble.

If we get good play from TOwnes and Thomas inside we will offset their outside shooting. Plus our frontline rotation should wear down their rotation to where we can control the boards as the game goes on.

Best breakdown I've read thusfar wishiwasinark! My thoughts exactly.

A-Town Hog Fan

March 14, 2006, 12:11:15 pm #78 Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 12:18:03 pm by Packman21
http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/nationalBracket

53%--46%

I hope we but them by 20.
Lord help us all!

hogfankb

what bucknell's primary defense is? This team limits the number of possessions per game so we are going to have to make everyone of them count. If they play zone and we get into shooting threes everytime down they will beat us easily. I would feel much better if they were in man where we could be getting more layups. If we continue shooting 16 three pointers a game and get 20 less possessions we could be in big trouble.

hogfan064

DevilHog

People pick Bucknell only because they beat Kansas last year. They are not that good. They beat Syracuse after Syracuse had played 3 games in 5 days, including trips to Texas Tech and Florida. That is a bunch of travel. Other than that they have not beat anyone good.

Theolesnort

Match up zone will probably be their primary defense.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

jackel1h

If we played their schedule,,,,, our record might look like theirs......... or better. my pick?

HOGS BY 12
If your not the lead dog........The view never changes.

Deuce Pigelow

I don't know but I seen where they were ranked like 4th in the country in scoring defense.

HogHeathen

Quote from: ConwayHog on March 13, 2006, 01:43:08 pm
For those of you who think this game will be a joke bring your minds back to December 15 against Missouri State.  We beat them by a whopping four points AT HOME.

Problem with your worry is that our kids have learned how to finish games now...If you will remember we had them down double digits with under ten mins to go in the game and let them come back...It's a diff. ball game now....

qakhed

I had heard they were somewhere in the top 10 in defense. They average 62 a game and hold the opposing team to 55.
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

Arazorbackguy1

*cough* Patriot League *cough*   I am sure we would be number one in total defense if we were in the league...  No disrespect, but Holy Cross and the others in that league are laughable!  The Patriot League only has one win EVER in the NCAA tourney and that came on a last second shot last year, to a not so good Kansas team.  Yeah they beat Syracuse, but Syracuse lost by like 39 points to the worst team in the Big East before going on that magical run in the Big East tourney.  If we play them like we play an SEC team, we should be fine!
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

LA HAWG

They played ARMY three times.  Pretty easy to be one of the best defensive teams when you have sub-par comp.

Arazorbackguy1

March 14, 2006, 01:46:29 pm #93 Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 01:51:12 pm by Arazorbackguy1
bump
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

wishyjoshy

The defense is a mix between a match up zone and a man-to-man.  Give me a minute and I will find the link to an article that explains.

cmakrzrbak

"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

PigMan

I live in Tulsa also and agree the World needs to hear from us. If we don't they are going to rightfully assume all is well and go on functioning just like they are presently.

jackel1h

It won't do any good. The local talk radio shows have been on the Tulsa World's case on numerous occasions, on different subjects. Even they have had no success.

PigPusher

March 14, 2006, 04:09:02 pm #98 Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:25:29 pm by PigPusher
Agreed

jackel1h

Good point PigPusher, I'll send them an e-mail now.

+1 for you