Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nutt isn't the problem, Arkansas is!

Started by Texas, September 24, 2005, 05:40:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas

Still here and proud of America's team winning agaist San Fran.

At least one of teams I can be proud of! Let's hire Jerry Jones as the AD!

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Texas on September 25, 2005, 04:02:00 pm
Razorback Jedi, your turn changes all to often. Last year it was pull Matt Jones now its Houston Nutt. Who will it be next year? Our problems go much deeper than Houston Nutt and that's what I have been preaching this whole time.

I've realized that my stance on MJ last year was not directed at him, but at Nutt. I bought into the theory that Nutt would have more success with a better ture QB, but that has been a painfully obvious realization that Nutt really isn't that well equipped to make an offense work well.....regardless of the QB.

I don't care who the quarterback is, you don't throw it into the endzone ONCE during an entire 30:00 of time of posession. One attempt into the endzone as time expires (being down by 11 no less) in 6 posessions in Bama territory shows me that Nutt is not able to call plays that will result in a victory.

If our team is down by more than 14 points in the 4th quarter, the game is over, period. We do not have a play caller who is willing to put our team in a position to win. That is my biggest beef with Nutt, he cannot call an offense correctly. My second beef with him is that he's laid goose eggs in recruitting, and has left us with this thread to argue who is at fault.

Texas, let me pose an honest question to you.

If Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, Phil Fulmer, or Steve Spurrier were to be the coach at Arkansas, do you believe that they would do no better than Nutt has done over 8 years? If your answer is no, they could do better than Nutt, then the problem really isn't Arkansas. If your answer is yes, they could do no better than Nutt, then I truly question your sanity.

chellesr05

Last time I checked, it was the players on the field that won or lost a game, not the money behind the program.

HOGSnDOGS

Quote from: chellesr05 on September 25, 2005, 07:06:39 pm
Last time I checked, it was the players on the field that won or lost a game, not the money behind the program.
Well, unless you count the Universities that allow pmts to player (by boosters) under the table.

Adam Stokes

September 25, 2005, 08:06:01 pm #104 Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 08:07:33 pm by ajs15razorman
  You can't blame the fact that we're "just Arkansas".  How the heck did we win a naitonal championship in basketball?  If we can recruit in Basketball we can recruit in Football.  I do think that too many people on this site bash Nutt and his play-calling, but we simply have too many spots on the roster that need work.  Special Teams and QB.  Our special teams were magnificent against Alabama, but that won't happen every game.  We will be getting Mitch next year, which will help alot.  One player can make a difference, look at the Falcons without Michael VIck.  They were the worst team.  With him they are one game from the Superbowl.  We should fire Nutt, because whether our players are the problem or not, Nutt is coaching the players.  Herring needs a little more time to work on the defense, and they should end up fine.  Nutt did what he could last year to get the best DC that was out there and he got him, don't blame him for not caring on D.  He should use Mortensen more because Rj isn't performing.  That I will blame on Nutt.  Start Rj for all I care but if he starts sucking up you put in Mort, do something to try to improve.  Nutt didn't do that yesterday.  I won't blame Nutt for kicking the field goal at the end, he was playing it safe.  If he had missed you would've bashed him more.  Plus I would rather have a field goal than have RJ try to make a completion.  It wouldn't have mattered anyway because they scored on the next drive.  In the end, Fire Nutt before MM comes, keep herring, he needs time.  Play the freshman, because if we can't win our Freshman might as well get experience. 

Go Hogs.

Fire Nutt, but not EVERYTHING is his fault.

Adam Stokes

South_Ark_Pig

Quote from: CabotHog on September 24, 2005, 05:59:32 pm
Quote from: Texas on September 24, 2005, 05:40:12 pm
The fact is that we are no Alabama, Texas, Florida, or USC. We are Arkansas and comparable to Ole Miss and Kentucky.

We have the 27th best record overall in college football history. Ole Miss is 42nd and Kentucky is 75th. Texas is 3rd, Bama is 5th, USC is 9th, and Florida is 19th. We are 8 places away from Florida. We are 15 places away from Ole Miss and no where near Kentucky.

The reason is that we do not have the money, talent, and resources to ever bring it to the other level.

Money? Apparently you have never heard of Tyson, Lindsey, the Waltons, etc. We have more money in our foundation than we know what to do with.

Talent? Yes, talent is down. That falls on the coach. Not because we are Arkansas. Danny Ford was able to recruit. Why can't Nutt?

Resources? HAHAHA!! The funniest one of all. Have you ever seen our facilities? They are some of the best in the nation. Pro or college wise. Our baseball stadium was voted 3rd best in the nation, our FB stadium has the most suites out of any in college football, and we have the World's largest jumbotron. Not to mention our weight rooms, practice fields, Bud Walton Arena, etc.

Maybe, just maybe if we could recruit again in Texas then we could get back to the glory days of Lou Holtz but until we change something (not our coach, more like our conference) maybe then we could compete.

You say maybe if we could recruit Texas again, then turn around and say it isn't our coaches fault. Last time I checked, Nutt is in charge of recruiting. Oh, and we do recruit Texas, we have 20 kids from there. Not to mention all the ones who have come and gone since Nutt has been here.

You kill me saying Ford could recruit. What did he recruit? he recruited a bunch of dorry ass players that went 4-7 2 years in the SEC. Nutt hasnt done that but you want to tar and feather him. Go back to playing with yourself. You embarass yourself and family when you get on here.

UAbandalum

Quote from: Texas on September 24, 2005, 05:45:43 pm
I agree we have had and will have great days ahead of us but everybody is so down on Nutt and the program. Broyles obviously knows that Nutt is not the problem and we can't have expectations like USC.

We don't have expectations like USC.  How can you call wanting to beat Vanderbilt AT HOME having expectations like USC?

Bryoles doesn't know a football from his heart pills.  Like many others, I'm tired of hearing about our '64 "National Championship."  It's not even recognized as a legitimate championship by ANYONE in NCAA Division I football and the game has changed dramatically since then.  By the way, you might want to explain that to Frank and also how none of us give a crap about our unofficial '64 championship either.

Since you're from Texas, explain to your Longhorn buddies that they won't be able to beat USC either.  They may give them a decent game for about a half, but the mighty Longhorns would end up getting pole-axed in the end, just like we did.  There's USC and then there's everyone else - including the Longhorns.

Flatline

Quote from: Texas on September 24, 2005, 06:03:20 pm
Everybody always says we have money because of the Waltons, Tysons, and Lindsey. First off, Jim Lindsey is a good ole boy that sells houses. He doesn't even compare to the big boys down in Texas. As for the Walton's when was the last time they actually gave money to the football program? That's right, they only give to the academic program aside from good ole Bud back in the day. So we are not as big as you think. How rich is Arkansas in comparison to the other states? Oh yea, we are 48th just in front of Mississippi!

The last time I checked the Walton's were some of the richest people in the world.  I have a question, Have you been here to see the new facilities.  They are second to none.

Flatline

I would also like to add that I spoke to very good friend of mine the other day who is now a doctor.  He was on the 1977 Razorback team that finished third in the nation.  He was a starting lineman.  He talked about how back then they were getting great players and kicking peoples butt when they had nothing on the hill but a great coach.  He also talked about how the facilities are and how there was no excuse for the program to be where it is today.  He is pissed and no longer is donating money to the program.  He is giving that money to local high schools.

jblack19

Quote from: CabotHog on September 25, 2005, 11:12:23 pm

Why does everyone feel the need to take a shot at someones family on here? And if you are going to talk smack, please feel free to use the spell check. You never know when you might EMBARRASS your family with poor spelling.

spell check? really, who cares? This isnt a thesis, sheesh..

curioushog42

???

Totally disagree with you about the money, but you have some interesting points. You'll right that Nationally everyone doesn't think of the razorback as a contender for a National Title. Thats what we dealing with whether some of the people ridculing you like it or not,  some of what you saying is true. When was the last time someone said Arkanasas will be in the running for a National title. Let see now....was it Holtz nope...Hatfield...nope...Ford...surely not....even Crow....Please!! All you people that's getting upset about what Texas is saying doesn't know Football. I believe Coach Nutt has taken the Hogs as far as it can go. To be honest with you, Fayetteville is not world beater when it come to culture. Everyone get off your high horse about a National title. I don't care if the best coach in the world is coaching the hogs. Hopefully someday we will get close, but being in the SEC is almost impossible. Arkansas is known for a Track and Basketball school moreso than a Football school anyway. I love my Hogs but the truth is the truth. Noone is defending Nutt because he can't be coach forever. I guess when the next coach comes in and doesn't do well, it will be the same old song again. Come on guys, get a grip and stop blasting anyone who disagree with ya'll silliy idea of a National Title.

Killean

If we're not playing to win a national title then lets just go ahead and drop football.  Maybe your parents taught you differently but I was raised to try and win.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

mikeirwin

The right coach can win big here.
Is it easy to find the right coach ?
No.
If it were easy every school would have one.
The right guy is out there.
The hard part is finding him.

jblack19

Quote from: curioushog42 on September 26, 2005, 01:05:51 am
???

Totally disagree with you about the money, but you have some interesting points. You'll right that Nationally everyone doesn't think of the razorback as a contender for a National Title. Thats what we dealing with whether some of the people ridculing you like it or not, some of what you saying is true. When was the last time someone said Arkanasas will be in the running for a National title. Let see now....was it Holtz nope...Hatfield...nope...Ford...surely not....even Crow....Please!! All you people that's getting upset about what Texas is saying doesn't know Football. I believe Coach Nutt has taken the Hogs as far as it can go. To be honest with you, Fayetteville is not world beater when it come to culture. Everyone get off your high horse about a National title. I don't care if the best coach in the world is coaching the hogs. Hopefully someday we will get close, but being in the SEC is almost impossible. Arkansas is known for a Track and Basketball school moreso than a Football school anyway. I love my Hogs but the truth is the truth. Noone is defending Nutt because he can't be coach forever. I guess when the next coach comes in and doesn't do well, it will be the same old song again. Come on guys, get a grip and stop blasting anyone who disagree with ya'll silliy idea of a National Title.

ahhh.. well put!

dirty stanchez

???

Totally disagree with you about the money, but you have some interesting points. You'll right that Nationally everyone doesn't think of the razorback as a contender for a National Title. Thats what we dealing with whether some of the people ridculing you like it or not, some of what you saying is true. When was the last time someone said Arkanasas will be in the running for a National title. Let see now....was it Holtz nope...Hatfield...nope...Ford...surely not....even Crow....Please!! All you people that's getting upset about what Texas is saying doesn't know Football. I believe Coach Nutt has taken the Hogs as far as it can go. To be honest with you, Fayetteville is not world beater when it come to culture. Everyone get off your high horse about a National title. I don't care if the best coach in the world is coaching the hogs. Hopefully someday we will get close, but being in the SEC is almost impossible. Arkansas is known for a Track and Basketball school moreso than a Football school anyway. I love my Hogs but the truth is the truth. Noone is defending Nutt because he can't be coach forever. I guess when the next coach comes in and doesn't do well, it will be the same old song again. Come on guys, get a grip and stop blasting anyone who disagree with ya'll silliy idea of a National Title.

Nobody is beggin for a national title.  We just want to be in the top 25.

Also, under Holtz, SI's preseason mag one year called us "the new dynasty."  Yes, they predicted a national title.

Under Hatfield, we were ranked #1 preseason on at least one occasion.

Believe it or not, Arkansas was a national contender when we had good coaches.

HawgWyld

Yeah, how dare some fans go around wanting a national title. What's wrong with them? Did they pay attention to Nutt's promises when he was named head coach or something?   ;D

jblack19

Quote from: Killean on September 26, 2005, 01:09:01 am
If we're not playing to win a national title then lets just go ahead and drop football. Maybe your parents taught you differently but I was raised to try and win.

Well then you were raised with the wrong attitude then. You play to try your best at everything you do, whether you win or loose. Just dropping football, dosent that make you a quitter?

dirty stanchez

Quote from: HawgWyld on September 26, 2005, 01:41:15 am
Yeah, how dare some fans go around wanting a national title. What's wrong with them? Did they pay attention to Nutt's promises when he was named head coach or something? ;D

Back off.

It's under construction dude!  I tell ya'!

Killean

If you're not going to play to win then you either need to stop playing or go to the special olympics.  If you're not playing to win you've ALREADY quit.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Sanctified Swine

National Title?  Heck I just wanted to beat Vandy!!

Sanctified Swine

National Title?  It would just be nice to have a winning record in the SEC West...lets start there and move up...but we can't even seem to get that done.

HornetHog

The reality is that Nutt did a fantastic job in getting these guys prepared after our worst lost in over 75 years. Nutt is not the issue, the issue is that we have all these great expectations and act as if we are surprised by our record. When was the last time we won the national championship? It was arguably 1964, and even that is questionable!

The fact is that we are no Alabama, Texas, Florida, or USC. We are Arkansas and comparable to Ole Miss and Kentucky. The reason is that we do not have the money, talent, and resources to ever bring it to the other level.

Maybe, just maybe if we could recruit again in Texas then we could get back to the glory days of Lou Holtz but until we change something (not our coach, more like our conference) maybe then we could compete.

Maybe a microscopic hint of truth in the part about preparing a team after such a terrible loss....kinda like Texas getting curb-stopmed against UCLA a few years ago or maybe the past several OU games....however the rest of your wisdom must make since on another planet somewhere.

The fact that you actually post with a TX flag as you Pic ID....and then make the comments using the word we....clearly states you must be a fricken cornhole without a clue.   Have a nice day gouder boy.
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

piggly wiggly

To the poster that asked when was the last time Ark. was mentioned regarding the National title and excluded Holtz:  I have a copy of Sports Illustrated with Holtz, Calcagni, and Cowins on the cover with SI's prediction to win the title (1978).  Just FYI

HogFather

The reality is that Nutt did a fantastic job in getting these guys prepared after our worst lost in over 75 years. Nutt is not the issue, the issue is that we have all these great expectations and act as if we are surprised by our record. When was the last time we won the national championship? It was arguably 1964, and even that is questionable!

The fact is that we are no Alabama, Texas, Florida, or USC. We are Arkansas and comparable to Ole Miss and Kentucky. The reason is that we do not have the money, talent, and resources to ever bring it to the other level.

Did you wake up on the dumb-ass side of the bed Saturday morning??  What did you do next...eat a bowl of dummyios or a bowl of dip$##t flakes. 
You are correct about one thing, it is questionable that we split the national championship with Alabama because Alabama lost their bowl game and we won our bowl game making us undefeated.   The national championship was awarded before the bowl games are played.  What a stupid idea that was.  Wouldn't be surprised if you had a hand in that thought as well.  So please, share your genius thoughts with us and your desire for mediocrity.

Jim Harris

September 26, 2005, 10:10:01 am #124 Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 10:11:32 am by drakehog

There is nothing questionable about Arkansas's claim to the 1964 national championship of you apply any amount of logic to it: Arkansas was the last undefeated team left standing after the bowls, Arkansas defeated 9-1 Nebraska, Arkansas defeated Texas on the road during the regular season, Arkansas shut out its last five regular season opponents and allowed Nebraska 7 points, and Texas defeated the wire service No. 1 Alabama, who played nobody outside of its six conference games. That the wire services chose at the time to award national championships before the bowl games is not Arkansas's fault. That that Football Writers Association of American and the Helms Foundation chose to award national championships AFTER the bowls is to Arkansas's credit. No one else was left standing. So Screw you and anybody else who wants to say the 1964 claim to a national championship is dubious.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

socalhogcaller

I think everyone on the board is now dumber for having read this. 

Jean-Luc PIGard

Go post that on woopig.net, please.  Thanks.

dirty stanchez

drakekllr

I think we lost our point here.  This isn't a junior hig game of whos daddy makes more money.  Texas is a bigger state and does have more money.  With that said, why is texas not number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and so on in the nation?  Money is a huge factor but it is not everything.  If a coach is winning the money starts flowing.  Arkansas has everything it needs to be a 7 win team, except a coaching staff.  A coaching staff can take decent players and turn them into a great team.  That is what we lack.  Coaches!

krack1925

Hoop,
that is the kind of post i like to read.

I also am a cubs fan and feel your pain. 

I feel that something needs to be done.  I would think many coaches would jump at a chance to come here.

#1 SEC best in country.  NO doubt.

#2 Great facilitys and great fans that want to win.......

#3 oh lets not forget the millions we will pay for a loser.  Imagine how we will pay for a winner. 

That is three reasons all the top of my head.

We can find a better coach.

Coacht

Our goal should be to win the SEC and not a NC. If you are in contention to win the SEC you will be somewhere close in the hunt for the NC. Our expectations should be no less than a .500 + season in the SEC with one out of every five of those winning the West. We should win one in every three to four SEC championship games. Then the NC is at your door. We are constantly a doormat in the SEC and this year we are an embarrassment to our league. I can not understand why our expectations are so low.
Statements of the year - "I think play calling sometimes is overrated." and "I will never hire an offensive Coordinator"

HDN Top 25 finishes....
2006 = 15th / 16th        2001 = nope
2005 = nope                 2000 = nope
2004 = nope                 1999 = 17th
2003 = nope                 1998 = 16th
2002 = 25th

krack1925

hoop,
that was a cub fan's post right there.... but they are very similar. 

Philip Seaton

Quote from: piggly wiggly on September 26, 2005, 09:44:35 am
To the poster that asked when was the last time Ark. was mentioned regarding the National title and excluded Holtz: I have a copy of Sports Illustrated with Holtz, Calcagni, and Cowins on the cover with SI's prediction to win the title (1978). Just FYI

Actually, ESPN's Beano Cook, when he was still one of its main studio guys, had predicted Arkansas to win the National Championship in 1987 then the Miami thing happened. You can honestly say that was the last  time Arkansas had any national respect.

Sound the Horns

Quote from: HoopHog on September 26, 2005, 01:46:39 pm
Does the take of one person make these things so?  So why must everyone go absolutely bonkers because of one person's take?  Additionally, many on here need to realize that - just because someone uses the name "Texas" and flies the Texas flag in his avatar does not make him a Longhorn fan.  What's up with that?  He continued to refer to the Razorbacks as "we."  Okay?  We have many Razorback fans living in Texas...just because this person is a Texan that does not automatically qualify him to be a Longhorn fan - what a stupid assumption.  Is Imhogginit a Longhorn fan?  Is John Wesley Hardin a Longhorn fan?   Are the scores of Arkansas alums living in Texas all Longhorn fans?  Where is the logic in this assumption.

So, Texas...assuming you ARE a Razorback fan, but since you use Texas as a reference point, let's compare.  Being a Hog fan (or disguised as one), you need to better educate yourself on some relevant facts before you try to bring an argument like this (one) to a board of rabid Razorback fans:

#1 - Brown has not turned anyone into a financial juggernaut...who the hell are you kidding.  Texas still has an athletic department that is funded through government channels - pretty pathetic for such a wealthy state.  Arkansas has one of three (if I recall accurately from old research) athletic departments that stand alone from it's university and the university operating budget.  When Mark Richts and the University of Georgia was here last year, Coach Richts was blown away by Arkansas' weight room.  He told reporters that he would like to have comparable facilities, but UGA can't afford to give it to him right now.  So, think of the financial freedom we have to grow and improve our program...you don't do so on beans, boy!  At the same time, ask yourself why the capital campaign for stadium expansion at the University of Texas has had to be tabled, the original plan was to begin this expansion in 1991 -- as a booster told me while at the Texas-Notre Dame game in 1990!  At the same time, Arkansas completed it's projected expansion.   

#2 - Arkansas ranks 9th on that same merchandising list you referenced.  Did you look at the levels of revenue between being 3rd on this list and being 9th on this list?  Should we break that down to the size of the two fan bases and expenditures per fan?

#3 - The University of Arkansas (not the Razorback Foundation, which is a separate athletic budget from the school) received the largest single gift to a college or university...not a pledge.  This was twice as large as what was -- till then, the largest single gift to a university, bestowed to the University of Texas, bestowed a few weeks prior.

#4 - You are right...there is a lot of money in the state of Texas.  Plus, there are 5 times as many institutions of higher learning within the Lonely er...Lonestar State.  Arkansas has smaller schools to compete with - Arkansas - Little Rock, Arkansas State, University of Central Arkansas, UAPB, and a few private colleges - Lyon, Hendrix, Ouchita Baptist.  There is no comparison OR competition for big booster dollars as exists between Texas A&M, Baylor, SMU or even North Texas (which is larger in student enrollment that the University of Arkansas, but well down the list of school populations within the state of Texas).

So, the moral of the story here?  Your arguments hold no water at all.  Arkansas, like Virginia Tech or Kansas State or even Auburn, don't need to be the size of a Texas, or the endowment of a Texas to be MORE successful than Texas in the last 10 years....they just need the right leadership.  Arkansas carries a sports budget larger than AND has facilities better than any of the three schools mentioned.
Agreed, its not a state VS state thing as much as its comparing programs. Obviously, Texas has more money than Arkansas but we only have one major program and  80% or so of our State has focused on the Hogs in the past.Texas money goes to alot of different schools as its not the same here. The richer and more superior program isn't an argument IMO.

Theolesnort

September 26, 2005, 09:00:27 pm #134 Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 09:02:54 pm by Theolesnort
???

Hoop I appreciate the sense you make instead of the so called realist that this fellow above pretends to be. What we are looking at up above is someone that is small minded and has low self esteem and has small dreams. I hate to be so rough on a individual but he has swallowed the dogma that some of the rest of the country says about people from Ark. That since you are from Ark you are inferior and can not achieve what most people can. Bull feathers! What if Sam Walton 40 + years ago said to himself oh I had better rethink this loan and forget expanding my nickle and dime store because I am from Ark and there is no way in hades that I can compete with the K- Marts of the world. What in the heck was I thinking. Actually the hard part at Ark is done and in place for someone with vision and big dreams and ideas. People cut this crappy idea out that we are not as good as people in other places. Yes we may have some disadvantages but we can overcome that by hard work and maximizing the assets we have and minimizing the negatives. Just accepting that we probably can't do much better will not cut it. Remember Can't never did nothing. Sam if he was alive would tell you that.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

lerxst

It's amazing to me that people have time to keep up w/ the U of A budget, and the Texas budget, and the Ohio State budget (this is getting ridiculous...), etc...  What it boils down to is talent.  If you've got the talent, and a good coach, you should win.  Right now, from the way I see it, it's both.  Arkansas has some talent.  The coaching, well... I don't know.  I like HDN.  However, maybe his time is over.  I understand that last year and this year are his free pass years.  Still, if we were to lose to ULM in a couple of weeks, you'd have to draw a line there I would think.  With all this talk, somebody somewhere knows something surely.  It's like a well-kept secret.  I wish the secret would get out if it would help the Hogs.  Oh well, just gotta believe!  Go Hogs!  Beat somebody (please) (that's decent)!

jblack19

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 26, 2005, 01:09:58 am
No.

Do you think Butch Davis would want to coach at Arkansas.. IF there was a shake up of leadership?  Maybe, there might be plans for Broyles to retire and Nutt move to AD, then hire Davis?

Flatline

Quote from: jblack19 on September 26, 2005, 11:27:08 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on September 26, 2005, 01:09:58 am
No.

Do you think Butch Davis would want to coach at Arkansas.. IF there was a shake up of leadership? Maybe, there might be plans for Broyles to retire and Nutt move to AD, then hire Davis?

Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Nutt will be fired.  Frank will stay. Arkansas will find some way to screw up getting a good coach and get a second string coach again.

jblack19

Texas

Keep Nutt and let us ride out these next few seasons! Nutt is the best thing we have going for the program!