Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

.17 HMR comparable to .22 ?

Started by OldCoot, April 30, 2014, 10:25:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OldCoot

Looking for .22 ammo the other day and saw a lot of .17 HMR rounds.  I didn't even know this existed.  Does anyone have one?  What is its main purpose?  Researching said it was made to improve on the .22 magnum.  The rounds look like .22 but longer.

95_alum

Faster, flatter trajectory than the 22 Mag. Less energy.  Check out the 17 Super Mag when you get a chance. 3,000 ft/s. (ammo for the 17 Super Mag is difficult to find)

DeltaBoy

It a round built for wood chucks and pest control .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Magic_Hogg

Anyone here still shoot the .22-250?

OldCoot

I badly want a .22 that models an M-16.  Badly.

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

LSUFan

The 17 doesn't have the mass to overcome, (opposing forces), the supersonic turbulance or opposing winds when fired, so it starts to wobble at about 80-100 yards, it may even start to tumble. THAT is what you do not want in a round.

Contrast; most supersonic rounds are heavy enough to not tumble until subsonic velocity is reached, and that is caused by the sound barrier wave catching up to the round, basically slapping it as it goes by, as the round slows down.

The negative forces you are dealing with are, opposing wind and sound barrier break. Those are constant. So a bigger mass bullet will require more opposing force to make it tumble or wobble than a smaller one fired at the same force.. Inside 80 yards you should be fine with the 17.

1 mile kill shot with an M82 and Raufoss MK 211 rounds. Enjoy

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

LSUFan

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on May 04, 2014, 05:25:15 pm
Anyone here still shoot the .22-250?

Yep I got one and it will Bust Crows at 300 yards all day long.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Magic_Hogg

I bought a Mossberg 4x4 in 22-250 and put a stainless 3x9x40 leupold on it.  Have not sighted it in yet.  It lives under my bed though ready for action.  I got the. 22-250 though after researching other similar varmint calibers - man does that thing go fast.  Cool looking little bullet.

Was at a Wal-Mart in Fay this past weekend and was happy to see that there was 223, 30-06 and 7.62x51 ammo on the shelves.  A year ago in North Texas those 3 calibers would not have been available.

I got a new rifle this time last year and even though I really wanted it in. .308, I got a long-action in. .270 because despite what the gun.pundits say about ammo availability and military cartridges, the very first shortages of ammo that occurred were all military!!!   

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

LSUFan

Quote from: Wayne Watson on May 07, 2014, 12:48:59 pm
Saweet!
When I was working over there, the Marines had a bunker set up on a ridge next to us. They would sit there and pick them off like flies, all while bustin' a few suds while in their drawers.

Talk about Good Times lol

DeltaBoy

The 17HMR an not for meat hunting IMO they blow rabbits and Tree rats up too much. Now Crows and such they are fun.  But a 22-250 all I use for busting things I don't eat.