Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

.22 Ammo Hoarding

Started by Boarslab, August 17, 2013, 08:38:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 04, 2013, 09:21:31 pm
If you make it up to NWA let me know.  I have a bulk box I'll sell you for what I paid at cabelas.

Thanks but I am 8 hours away in DFW. I am going to try and hit Academy after work this week. I got about 3,000 rounds but I like to keep at least 5,000 in stock.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Flying Razorback

Has anyone seen the Remington Golden Bullet buckets lately?
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Pudgepork

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 07, 2013, 07:38:38 pm
Has anyone seen the Remington Golden Bullet buckets lately?

They are like panthers and bigfoot.  I've heard they are around but I haven't seen them

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Pudgepork on October 08, 2013, 04:19:19 pm
They are like panthers and bigfoot.  I've heard they are around but I haven't seen them

I'm hoping to come across one at Cabelas when I'm up there in a few weeks like was mentioned earlier in this thread.  I don't even hoard, I'm just out of my shooting rounds and want to get another year supply.

dmacs_wife

I know a guy that works sporting goods in Walmart that gives me heads up on shipments.. I'm not a hoarder but this ammo drought can get rough if you don't act as one

Razorback7281

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 07, 2013, 02:33:50 pm
Thanks but I am 8 hours away in DFW. I am going to try and hit Academy after work this week. I got about 3,000 rounds but I like to keep at least 5,000 in stock.
Cabelas in Allen had 15 or 20 bricks on the shelf for $31. 
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Razorback7281 on October 11, 2013, 01:29:22 pm
Cabelas in Allen had 15 or 20 bricks on the shelf for $31. 

Thanks
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

Gun Show this past weekend Whinny 333 boxes 25 bucks  Bricks were $40 and up.

OldCoot

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 05, 2013, 10:47:25 pm
Thanks 95.  I will look into it.   The stock, at some point, had some heavier than electrical tape wrapped around it.  I'm gonna see if it fires before I put any money into it.  Hope it does.   Will make a good "throw away" gun....if you follow.   Toss it right over a fence row.   LOL.

Saw some inches off the barrel and you got a winner.

About the .22, I can kill anything with a .22 you can hit with anything else, quieter and cheaper.

OldCoot

Quote from: Pudgepork on October 08, 2013, 04:19:19 pm

Speaking of, has anyone seen any of the painters in Arkansas? :D

DeltaBoy

It is still sad you can not walk into your local Wal Mart and get even a box of 22LR anymore.

1highhog

Quote from: Sueie on September 03, 2013, 08:59:55 pm
IF they are worried about the government then WHY would they buy .22 shells.  You might as well use a bb gun.

Remember, with bullet proof glass, all large calipers failed to penetrate, only a .22 long rifle was successful in penetrating.  A well placed .22 cal is all that's needed, even in deer hunting, not that I would know.

DeltaBoy

I hope to score some during Thanksgiving since I can be in line on Monday at 6am.

OldCoot

Bass Pro gets them in by the brick every day.

DeltaBoy

No Bass Pro and I hate to have to plan to buy ammo.

ChromDome35

I bought 3 bricks of 100 CCI Minimags at Dicks Sporting Goods in Clarksville TN on Thanksgiving evening for $10 a brick.  Still more than it ought to cost, but not outrageous.  Went back the next day to see if they had more and they were out.

CallThemHawgs!

Anyone know of any place to get some in NWA?

I am running low, one big box of Federal and two 50ct CCI stingers left....

Not time to panic, but its getting close.

ChromDome35

I have 3 boxes of 100 CCI Minimags I'd be HAPPY to sell you at $35.00 a box! :)

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: ChromDome35 on December 05, 2013, 12:41:14 am
I have 3 boxes of 100 CCI Minimags I'd be HAPPY to sell you at $35.00 a box! :)

Im sure you would lol, as would all the people with them listed on certain local websites.

There are 3 full retail stores worth of .22 sitting on the local classified sites, and then everyone wonders why none is available. I refuse to pay a penny to these losers. I would rather not shoot .22 than encourage the behavior.

ChromDome35

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on December 05, 2013, 01:43:23 am
Im sure you would lol, as would all the people with them listed on certain local websites.

There are 3 full retail stores worth of .22 sitting on the local classified sites, and then everyone wonders why none is available. I refuse to pay a penny to these losers. I would rather not shoot .22 than encourage the behavior.

Just to be sure...I was joking with you, I would never price gouge someone like that.  What local websites are you talking about, I want to check them out.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: ChromDome35 on December 05, 2013, 08:25:54 am
Just to be sure...I was joking with you, I would never price gouge someone like that.  What local websites are you talking about, I want to check them out.

I know you were, sorry if that came across as directed towards you.

Namely Arms4list (take out the 4) and Arguntrader forum, its ridiculous.

DeltaBoy

I was offered a 50 round box of 8 bucks each, I excused myself and left.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 10, 2013, 12:49:38 pm
I was offered a 50 round box of 8 bucks each, I excused myself and left.

50 rounds of .22?

Lord... thats two BX-25 mags full for my 10/22

I would burn though that $8 in under a minute.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on December 11, 2013, 01:03:49 pm
50 rounds of .22?

Lord... thats two BX-25 mags full for my 10/22

I would burn though that $8 in under a minute.

My Daughter and me usually burn 250 rounds every time we go to the range.

bolo

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 03, 2013, 09:29:37 pm
I was helping my neighbor clean out his dad's garage a couple of weeks ago.  His dad passed away in May.  We came upon a wooden box with 20 or so boxes of .38 special ammo.  Upon further inspection, all the boxes were just full of spent brass.....however, at the bottom of the wooden box we found 5 bricks of CCI Blazer .22 shells and 10 boxes of CCI stingers.  Mr. Bill gave me all the Stingers and 4 of the Blazer bricks.  Also found this old single shot .12 guage made by Riverside Arms.  You can see the damage and it's rusty, but I offered him $10 for it and he said "no...you can have it."   
Anyway.....happy about the .22 shells and also got a shotgun out of it.  (we will see if it shoots and will have to replace that stock.
that darned thing will kick like hell
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

DeltaBoy

Nothing but over priced stuff so far.   I got to get out shopping during Christmas Break.

DeltaBoy

Dry well everyone was OUT!

DeltaBoy

New Week Same no 22.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 21, 2014, 11:14:54 am
New Week Same no 22.

I mean it has to end sometime.... right? 

Pudgepork

not according to some people who talked to people at the SHOTT Show.   Some of the
online shops like natchezz, midway and all are saying mid 2015 before much will come
back into supply.  They were mostly talking reloading supplies but I'd guess .22lrs would
stay scarce as well. 

One guy said he took a tour of a bullet factory that had the capability of churning out
12 mil bullets a day? week?, I forget, but anyway he said it was running at limited
capacity while he was there.  He said the tour person said that was due to a break in
the supply shipments

DeltaBoy

January 21, 2014, 12:33:20 pm #80 Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:48:03 am by DeltaBoy
Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on January 21, 2014, 11:54:54 am

I mean it has to end sometime. right? 

I have been Remington in Lonoke is running 24/7 and can't keep up.   

JaketheSnake

One of my distributors told me last week to not expect any .22s until mid-late summer.  That doesnt mean there will be plenty then, just a few boxes here and there. 

DeltaBoy

Read over on the High Road that some folks are picking up 22 LR duds at the ranges and selling them for 10 bucks a Hundred.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 23, 2014, 02:13:36 pm
Read over on the High Road that some folks are picking up 22 LR duds at the ranges and selling them for 10 bucks a Hundred.

....... christ

kodiakisland

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 23, 2014, 02:13:36 pm

I shoot several thousand 22lr a year.  It would take many years for me to get 100 duds. 
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

1873Hawg

What is sad is I can buy all the 7.62x54 ammo I want for less than half what I can get .22LR for...

I have been able to buy 3 boxes of 22LR in the past 6 months at a normal price, and that is only because I got lucky.

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

DeltaBoy

I have not bought any in over a year and a Half.

DOGALUM

Ozark Sportsman in Tontitown had some CCI Blazers in on Friday.  Would only sell me two 50 round boxes.  They have them at $3.19 each. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Pudgepork on January 21, 2014, 12:25:12 pm
not according to some people who talked to people at the SHOTT Show.   Some of the
online shops like natchezz, midway and all are saying mid 2015 before much will come
back into supply.  They were mostly talking reloading supplies but I'd guess .22lrs would
stay scarce as well. 

One guy said he took a tour of a bullet factory that had the capability of churning out
12 mil bullets a day? week?, I forget, but anyway he said it was running at limited
capacity while he was there.  He said the tour person said that was due to a break in
the supply shipments

I think the problem is probably 10% of ammo buyers are way over-hoarding and have probably 50,000+ rounds of .22LR.  And then they still buy when they see any at the store solely because it's there.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: kodiakisland on January 23, 2014, 08:38:39 pm
I shoot several thousand 22lr a year.  It would take many years for me to get 100 duds. 

I agree with you for the most part.  My Ruger Mark III and 10/22 rarely find a dud.  But I have a 50 year old Smith and Wesson K-22 that seems to find 1 in 12 these days.  I believe the hammer isn't coming down with the force that it used to.  And I just haven't taken the time to get it fixed or worked on. 

And some of the newer guns like the Sig Mosquito and others can be finicky with ammo I hear.  Preferring only hotter loads which could cause people to waste rounds during malfunction clearing.  And with people just using any form of .22 they can find instead of correct plinking or hunting ammo I could see being able to scrounge some duds.  I don't know if you could find 100 in a day, especially multiple hundred to have several boxes.  But maybe?

DeltaBoy

My Walmart was out  of 22 but stocked on shotgun and most other pistol calibers.

Hawgon

.22 is not susceptible to the normal rules of hoarding.  It doesn't take up much space and even at today's slightly inflated retail prices, is pretty cheap.  Fifty thousand rounds would probably not fill a good sized drawer if they were all dumped out into it.  While, fifty thousand rounds of even something like .223 is going to require you to build on another addition to your house if you don't already have some excess storage space.

So people just keep buying and buying and buying.  Sure, some guys are buying and selling, but a lot of people are buying and stacking.

AnonymousHog

I bought a brand new .22 magnum last January.  So far I've only lucked into buying 2-50 rounds boxes.  Only shot it every now and then because I'd like to have more before I go happy go lucky with it.

DeltaBoy

We have a racket going on and Walmart will not change their stocking times.   They Stock every Monday at 5 am and open the gun station at 7am there is a line of 10-25 old retired folks who buy the 3 box limit then go home and call Trade Fair and offer them for 30-60 bucks each or they hold them to the next gun show and try to sell them like that.

OnTheHillHogFan

Found a box that was unopened at my grandparents house this past weekend. We bought it about two years ago and didn't end up needing it. I was pretty ecstatic when I saw it because like a lot of you I haven't seen any in a while.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

1highhog

January 30, 2014, 06:41:37 am #95 Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:04:47 am by 1highhog
Quote from: zsanfusa on January 21, 2014, 04:53:02 pm
Let me break it down for everyone.

1.  Supply and Demand, and the most very basic concepts in Economics, and your going to tell me that the almighty and powerful gun manufactures can't build more ammo manufacturing plants?
2.  Am I the only one who noticed this, but everything that is happening in the gun market is because of the typical overreaction of a small percentage of gun owners.  Once the Aurora shooting happened the gun lobby got nervous, then Newtown and now they're down right scared.
3.  So fire up the propaganda machine. Let's tell everyone that Big Brother is going to take our guns.  By the way for those of you who feel like we need .50 BMG and Fully Auto firearms to "protect our freedoms" and keep the ideal of a voluntary militia, quit acting foolish, we gave that up like over 60 years ago.  The US Armed Forces are so far ahead tech wise that if you minutemen decided to "protect" yourselves against the government, well I would fell bad for those in revolt.
4.  2014 is an election year, hmmmm....
5.  Washington is a festering stench pool bought and payed for by all of the special interest groups (PACs), so you can't believe a word out of any ones mouth up there.  THEY ARE IN IT FOR THE MONEY, NOT YOU.  Everything in this country is controlled by a millionaires club - who doesn't even understand what a gallon of milk costs http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/09/news/economy/congress-millionaires/ .  Furthering the wealth gap is Congress' goal, here is a great article to read, published yesterday http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/20/4764647/worlds-richest-85-people-have.html
6.  So here is the solution, stop buying ammo for a couple of months in protest.  If everyone would boycott then the gun manufactures would once again be controlled by consumers and the market, not the consumers being controlled.
7.  So there is my two cents.  The game is rigged from the beginning, so frankly, if me and every other gun owner want to play, we have to realize that this is true costs of giving up our freedoms (see NSA and Snowden).  Letting someone tell you what to do, even sublimely will be the death of Democracy so we must welcome the world of 1984 with open arms because Fascism is here, living well, in America.

Wow, you really have a-lot to say don't you.  Are you living under a rock somewhere, waiting for WW3?  I didn't get past 3 on your countdown, I just figured what's the use, but I wouldn't be so quick to throw those so called Minutemen under the bus, as though they wouldn't stand a chance against our Nations Armed Forces.  First of all, who makes up those armed forces?  Troops from other Countries?  So, you think you're going to have a unified armed force of our own troops come against their own Parents, wives, brothers, sisters, sons, and daughters?  Hmm, interesting.  Even if that far fetched theory of yours was to take place, so we as a gorilla force or (Minutemen) as you want to call us, would do far worse than Afghanistan fighters  have been doing for the last 10 years or so?  Or what they did to Mother Russia years earlier basically starting out using antique weapons?  You need to somber up some buddy.  But let's hope that never comes to pass.  Our Government, yes, is corrupt, and has run this Country into the ground. 

Hawgon

The shortage is getting better.  I've picked up almost 2,000 rounds of .22 this week with very little effort.  I walked in when the store opened and walked out with my ammo.  True, if I had been an hour later, I wouldn't have had anything, but I wasn't standing in line for hours either.

As for revolts and all that stuff.  Those who think armed citizens can't get things done when they have had enough, need to look down at what is happening in Michoacán, Mexico over the last few months.  Armed citizens have stood up to and taken over their cities from the drug cartels and the government.

Old Tusk

The dream that an AR keeps me safe from the government should be the new ride in Fantasyland. The Patriot Act took your rights and you won't get them back. I know this fantasy make fell better so keep dreaming.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

DeltaBoy

It is time to find some this weekend.

OldCoot

Quote from: Old Tusk on January 30, 2014, 09:38:41 am
The dream that an AR keeps me safe from the government should be the new ride in Fantasyland. The Patriot Act took your rights and you won't get them back. I know this fantasy make fell better so keep dreaming.

I'm not sure what year(s) we actually lost our Constitutional right to revolt against a tyrannical government, but I imagine it was around the early twentieth century.  Probably between WWI and WWII.  With the discovery of atomic weapons, our ability to fight back died.