Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

.22 Ammo Hoarding

Started by Boarslab, August 17, 2013, 08:38:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Dude on April 22, 2014, 09:25:14 pm
Bought 2 boxes today, got home and realized they are "gunpowderless" which means they can only be used in pistols.

That sucks.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogs run wild

managed to find 3 Remington Bucket of Bullets in Jonesboro. 1400 rounds of 22LR. First I've been able to buy in 9 months. Needless to say, me and my two buddies snatched them up.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Pudgepork

good find fatpig.   in other areas of bullets and bullet building, it looks like things are
starting to catch up with demand.   Maybe by fall squirrel season the .22's will be back on the shelves

DeltaBoy

It is still hit and miss.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DirtTrackFan

Even when i still had a 22 i rarely shot more then 2 boxes a year, why do people want 22 shells so bad ?

jdelo77

Academy has them , but they are behind the counter ... And only in small quantities ...

Pudgepork

Quote from: DirtTrackFan on June 04, 2014, 06:01:41 pm
Even when i still had a 22 i rarely shot more then 2 boxes a year, why do people want 22 shells so bad ?

It's the 2013-2014 gold rush.   Buy and resale at very inflated
prices and very little effort required. 

Also, humans always want what they can't have so
everytime gun control headlines hit, buyers grab what
they can because they fear it might not be available
later.   

1873Hawg

Was able to buy 13 boxes today...

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

grayhawg

Quote from: 1873Hawg on June 14, 2014, 01:31:40 pm
Was able to buy 13 boxes today...

I see you have taken hoarding seriously.

1873Hawg

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

tophawg19

One store in Camden got some in but it was about 8 bucks for a box of 50 . or $ 13.00 FOR 100
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

DeltaBoy

Still hit and miss from what I see down here.

CallThemHawgs!

I have two 500 round Federal boxes, and since the madness hit I have shot my 10/22 all of one time.

This stuff cracks me up. Go buy a bolt action .223 or .17HMR, ammo is everywhere and .17 is only moderately more expensive than .22lr.

When I go shoot, I want to shoot real guns. 10mm, .45, 5.56, .308

If you dont have the money to reload or buy ammo, find another hobby. Leave the .22 to kids, and squirrel hunters. This .22 hoarding is laughable. Thinking about grown ass men waiting in line at 6am for a couple boxes of .22 they will probably never shoot is amazingly enjoyable.

Find another caliber and move on

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 10, 2014, 09:51:41 am

Leave the .22 to kids,

Speaking for myself this is the reason I am always looking for 22 LR

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 10, 2014, 11:16:35 am
Speaking for myself this is the reason I am always looking for 22 LR

Lol

DeltaBoy

I shoot 22 more than anything else.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 10, 2014, 03:29:39 pm
I shoot 22 more than anything else.

To each his own I guess, does not serve much of a purpose for me.

DeltaBoy

Still hit and miss in the Stores.

Pudgepork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 17, 2014, 10:23:15 am
Still hit and miss in the Stores.

I had shopped for .22LR several times from mid-fall to late spring last year into this year and built a supply up to 4-5K.   I have several guns in this caliber so I knew it would take that many to safely supply my shooting for a year to year and half.   I gave some of the 533 bullet boxes away for Christmas presents when I'd hear of family members being very low on .22.

Since we are on the brink of fall again, I started stopping by and asking the people at WalMart about .22's and it seems that supply is actually less  than last year.  Not at all what I was expecting.  I'd expected the supply to catch demand since numbers reported are something like 20+ million of .22LR bullets made each day.   

kodiakisland

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 10, 2014, 04:06:59 pm
To each his own I guess, does not serve much of a purpose for me.

I would guess I shoot close to 5 rounds of 22lr through my 6 rimfires for every centerfire round I shoot.  A good year has me shooting 2-3K centerfire and 5-10K rimfire.  I find it quite useful.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

pigture perfect

I've been seeing more .22 this year, so I haven't been buying. MAybe I need to again.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 17, 2014, 06:48:43 pm
I would guess I shoot close to 5 rounds of 22lr through my 6 rimfires for every centerfire round I shoot.  A good year has me shooting 2-3K centerfire and 5-10K rimfire.  I find it quite useful.

For any precision practice I use my .17, not as cheap but still very affordable

All the tacticool .22lr AR stuff is nonsense to me

kodiakisland

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 18, 2014, 01:45:26 am

I'm not even sure I'm young enough to know what tacticool is.  Mall ninja is what comes to mind.  Most of my 22lr shooting is from multiple pistols with different grip angles and sight systems.  I find running several hundred rounds through them each range trip keeps me sharp on just about any pistol I pick up.  Most rifle shooting is from accurate bolt rifles in field shooting positions.  50-100 rounds off the sticks to end each trip keeps my hunting shooting up to par.  Of course, I like old school rifles that are built like full size centerfires.  I do have a S&W M&P15 to use as a trainer.

Either way, I'll be glad when the 22lr situation gets back to normal.  I like to keep at least 3K on hand, and that's been hard to do the last 2 years.  I've resorted to shooting my expensive match ammo a bit too often.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Pudgepork

I agree with Kodiak.  I shoot my SR22 much more than any larger caliber pistol but
the technique work helps for a much cheaper cost.

I'll break out 22 rifles to work on trigger control quite often.   Reloading is still fun for me but it doesn't save me much money and components are still hit and miss.(kinda like my shooting)

DeltaBoy

I shoot 22 more for cost and the fact I can get plenty of Trigger time for 1/4 of the cost of my 38, 40 or 45 ammo.

pigture perfect

I'm having fun shooting my new Walther P22 made in Ft. Smith. I've been finding .22 shorts lately so i'm using an old revolver. Either way, I'm getting excited for hunting season.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeWayne R

Academy on Markham had a lot of .22 shells at customer service counter when I was there this afternoon.
When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

1highhog

I only have about 500 rounds of 22lr on hand at any given time, I did keep 1,000 to 1,500 until this 22 shortage came up and I have not once bought and inflated box of 22 ammo and never will.  I've just went out and expanded my supply of every other round I shoot, I have no less than 2,000 Rds of Hornady 308, .40, 10mm, 303, 7mm-08, and Hornady 280.  I feel confident enough that I won't run out of ammo for quite awhile.

grayhawg

Quote from: 1highhog on September 22, 2014, 03:11:01 pm
I only have about 500 rounds of 22lr on hand at any given time, I did keep 1,000 to 1,500 until this 22 shortage came up and I have not once bought and inflated box of 22 ammo and never will.  I've just went out and expanded my supply of every other round I shoot, I have no less than 2,000 Rds of Hornady 308, .40, 10mm, 303, 7mm-08, and Hornady 280.  I feel confident enough that I won't run out of ammo for quite awhile.
By always checking Walmart and Academy every time I am close has kept me with a good supply.

1highhog

Quote from: grayhawg on September 22, 2014, 05:08:14 pm
By always checking Walmart and Academy every time I am close has kept me with a good supply.

But what are you paying for 22 ammo these days now?  has the price fell back to what's considered normal?

grayhawg

Quote from: 1highhog on September 23, 2014, 11:01:10 am
But what are you paying for 22 ammo these days now?  has the price fell back to what's considered normal?
Bought a box of 550 for $19.95 at Walmart.

1highhog

Pudgepork

in regards to price,   I received an email from Natchez Ammo yesterday offering sale prices on various ammo.   Amongst the ads were offers from 2 makers of .22LR to sell
a 50 rd box of bullets.

1 ad offered a 50 rd box for $12.99
1 ad offered a 50 rd box for $12.49

I'm sure I'll not buy at those prices although I did shoot quite a few today. 

grayhawg

Quote from: Pudgepork on September 24, 2014, 08:10:09 pm
in regards to price,   I received an email from Natchez Ammo yesterday offering sale prices on various ammo.   Amongst the ads were offers from 2 makers of .22LR to sell
a 50 rd box of bullets.

1 ad offered a 50 rd box for $12.99
1 ad offered a 50 rd box for $12.49

I'm sure I'll not buy at those prices although I did shoot quite a few today. 
From my experience in Ft Smith and Van Buren Walmart when they get 22 ammo you need to be there because it is all gone in 15 or 20 minutes , they do not price gouge either.  At Academy it will be at the service desk up front and a little expensive the last I bought there was $8.95 per 100.

supersaint

September 25, 2014, 10:07:08 am #184 Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:13:04 pm by supersaint
Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 18, 2014, 01:45:26 am

Meh,
Really short, really quiet .22 ARs are really fun and good for training. I love my suppressed 22 sbr.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

DeltaBoy

I am trying to rebuild my 22 stash back to my usual 5,000 round count.  I only got about 2,000 now.

Pudgepork

Delta, you might wanna swing by wal mart today.   Our local
store got in a large supply of .22lr.   They was going out
to sell at 8:00 am and was expecting a mad rush of customers
to buy them.   The selection was Winchester in the 333 pack
and CCI in 100 rd box

Your store might have a bunch

DeltaBoy

I been out with Band Contest so no time to raid Wal Mart but I plan on later this fall.

AnonymousHog

I need .22 magnum and that seems to be harder to find than just .22

DeltaBoy

Quote from: AnonymousHog on October 08, 2014, 10:53:55 am
I need .22 magnum and that seems to be harder to find than just .22

It is.

Pudgepork

yeah it's crazy that .22 mag is so hard to find because there aren't nearly as many people interested in it.   I keep a few on hand and really haven't looked but I have seen it mentioned over the last 2 years that it is nearly impossible to find. 

DeltaBoy

Got a 333 round Winchester box for 18 bucks at Macks in Sugar town on Wed. They were limited it to 1 box per a person.

1highhog

Buy you one of these or something similar, I killed a coyote with mine and that's about as big a varmint as I'd use a .22 on anyway.  The pellets are dirt cheap, won't go bad after setting up for a period of time, and with a well placed shot can kill most anyway you need to.  http://www.airgundepot.com/rws-460-2166447.html

DOGALUM

Took the kids to our place this past weekend and they went through about 1000 rounds.  Stuff I already had but will want to replenish. 

Man.....that was a great time.  Had my 17 and 15 year old daughters and my 12 year old son all shooting and sometimes competing against each other on targets they set up all over the "range".  Took some great video and pictures that I will cherish.  Hard finding time away from cheer, dance, baseball, school, cell phones, etc anymore to do that anymore.  My 10 year old daughter was shooting too.....just at her own pace.  It was a grand time that all said they couldn't wait to do again. 

Sorry.....just sharing my weekend.   

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

1highhog

Quote from: DOGALUM on December 01, 2014, 11:26:33 am
Took the kids to our place this past weekend and they went through about 1000 rounds.  Stuff I already had but will want to replenish. 

Man.....that was a great time.  Had my 17 and 15 year old daughters and my 12 year old son all shooting and sometimes competing against each other on targets they set up all over the "range".  Took some great video and pictures that I will cherish.  Hard finding time away from cheer, dance, baseball, school, cell phones, etc anymore to do that anymore.  My 10 year old daughter was shooting too.....just at her own pace.  It was a grand time that all said they couldn't wait to do again. 

Don't ever feel sorry for posting sharing that kind of time with your kids man, that will be memories you'll never forget and they will look back one day and cherish that day to.  Great story by the way.  When my Grandkids come over and we get to keep them for s few days, there's no staying in the house watching TV and playing video games.  I get them out in the woods, teach them things they'll need to know one of these days.

woodrow hog call

That's money and time well spent, as a father of two grown sons, I can assure you that you will never regret the time you spend with your kids. When I look back that's exactly the type of things I wish I would have done more of. Kudos to you, great memories that can't be bought.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

kodiakisland

My daughter was home from college last week.  She didn't have time to do any hunting, but we did get in one day of shooting.  I'm so glad she likes to do the outdoor stuff as well as the princess stuff.

DeltaBoy

Time spent with your kids is priceless.

vol_in_ar

Academy off Pleasant Grove in Rogers had a  bunch today

$3.99 for 50

DeltaBoy

I got a 333 box on Black Friday at Macks in Sugar Town.