Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

.22 Ammo Hoarding

Started by Boarslab, August 17, 2013, 08:38:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarslab

Why are people still hoarding .22 bullets?  There are guys that know when the shipments of ammo is put out at Wal Mart and they go and clean the shelves out of .22 ammo and a couple more calibers....I bought my son a Henry Youth model .22 for Christmas last year and since then there has been a shortage of .22 shells...I have a couple of hoarder cousins, so I have no shortage of .22 bullets, but dang--this is ridiculous.....

deshahawg

I've been trying for 3 weeks to get 22 ammo but the Wal-mart here never gets any.

CallThemHawgs!

People are making money on it. Most of the time the shipments get bought up before they even become avail to the stores, and then they are just resold elsewhere for way above market prices.

The whole thing is just absurd, and the people paying $60 plus for one brick of .22 are even bigger idiots than the people hoarding the stuff.

Pudgepork

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on August 17, 2013, 12:09:26 pm
People are making money on it. Most of the time the shipments get bought up before they even become avail to the stores, and then they are just resold elsewhere for way above market prices.

The whole thing is just absurd, and the people paying $60 plus for one brick of .22 are even bigger idiots than the people hoarding the stuff.

true.   it isn't just .22,  Hornady said at the current production of 2 1/2 shifts running it would take them 4 yrs to catch up with orders on the most popular bullets.  its only going to get worse in the coming weeks as the yearly shoot the dust off'a the rifles
season starts.

The .22 hoarders are waiting at the counters for any shipments.  They then put them on Ebay-type sites at very inflated prices.   The people who panic and pay those prices aren't helping stop the hoarding.  At some point the hoarders will be stuck and prices will tumble but it doesn't appear to be anytime soon.

Boarslab

On a positive note on the hoarding though---at least Lonoke is benefiting from the craziness.  Remington is breaking ground on a new plant to produce ammo I believe.  There is a facebook site called North Arkansas Outdoors and Fireams or something like that the people get on there and buy and sell guns and ammo---they auction the .22 bricks off and get hugely inflated prices.  Anyone that comments about what's going on gets deleted or belittled by the site owners and sellers making the huge windfalls.....it's pure ignorance at it's best.  I'm not paying $75 dollars for a brick of .22 shells that cost $19.   The bricks of Remington Gold in the 222 bulk was $9.80 this time last year.  There is absolutely no reason for this other than fear---there is no shortage and Obama is not coming to get all of the bullets and black guns, but try telling that to the ignorant masses...including some of my family!!!

HuntinHog

Ever since the shortage hit I just dig around the house and the shop.  I've yet to need 22 ammo and not be able to find a handful somewhere.  It's amazing where those little bullets slip off to around the house and in all your hunting and outdoor gear.

DeltaBoy

It so bad I was able to trade 2 bricks of 22 ammo for a nice black powder CVA Rifle a few weeks back at my LGS.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hudge

.22LR is still impossible to get here in AK.  I found a place that was out of the way back in March that had plenty of .22LR and bought a few 50 packs of it, and a 100 pack.  Guys here that can find the .22 ammo when it comes in buy it all up and sale it for double what they paid as well.

DeltaBoy

That is the racket I am seeing,  The Damn old retired guys line up for the ammo that comes in on Monday Morning at 7 am they all buy 3 bricks and show up at the Local Gun Show or on Trade Fair wanting 40-80 bucks for a Brick.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

kodiakisland

As long as people are paying them 40-80 bucks a brick you really can't blame them.  When people stop paying stupid prices for ammo, it will get back to normal.  This is why you should always keep a 1-2 year supply on hand.  I've shot regularly all year without buying any since the fall and still have about 2500 rounds of 22.  By early spring I'll be out but hope to find some at more normal prices by then.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DeltaBoy

I got plenty but still I like to replace a brick with a brick after every range outing.

Pudgepork

.22 ammo is getting more plentiful.  I think the supply is slowly catching up with demand.   Im getting suspicious that more is making it to the warehouses than is brought out to keep just enough getting to the consumer to keep the demand high.

Im betting the .22 ammo has moved from hoarding by the consumers to control by the
stores to keep the customers standing in line and willing to pay the inflated prices

Sueie

IF they are worried about the government then WHY would they buy .22 shells.  You might as well use a bb gun.

grayhawg

Quote from: Sueie on September 03, 2013, 08:59:55 pm
IF they are worried about the government then WHY would they buy .22 shells.  You might as well use a bb gun.
A well placed 22 round is more than adequate.

jdelo77

I can tell you guys one thing , I work for a huge company ( think one of the biggest in the world ) and all of our bullet loads are wrapped in black shrink wrap , the drivers have no idea what's on the pallet, and we have no idea where it's going , I know how many cases of whatever ammo is on the trailer but , no idea where it's going ...

DOGALUM

I was helping my neighbor clean out his dad's garage a couple of weeks ago.  His dad passed away in May.  We came upon a wooden box with 20 or so boxes of .38 special ammo.  Upon further inspection, all the boxes were just full of spent brass.....however, at the bottom of the wooden box we found 5 bricks of CCI Blazer .22 shells and 10 boxes of CCI stingers.  Mr. Bill gave me all the Stingers and 4 of the Blazer bricks.  Also found this old single shot .12 guage made by Riverside Arms.  You can see the damage and it's rusty, but I offered him $10 for it and he said "no...you can have it."   
Anyway.....happy about the .22 shells and also got a shotgun out of it.  (we will see if it shoots and will have to replace that stock.

[attachment deleted by admin]
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Elmer Keith, who was responsible for the development of the 44 magnum & a famous fan of large calibers once said.....  "a .22 is a small, not very potent round.....until it's pointed at you"....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

95_alum

Quote from: jdelow77 on September 03, 2013, 09:08:32 pm
I can tell you guys one thing , I work for a huge company ( think one of the biggest in the world ) and all of our bullet loads are wrapped in black shrink wrap , the drivers have no idea what's on the pallet, and we have no idea where it's going , I know how many cases of whatever ammo is on the trailer but , no idea where it's going ...

Is the ammo loaded on trucks with other merchandise or is it loaded on trucks by itself?

hogcoots

I am starting to find a few boxes of .22LR at the local gunstore.  They were going for $4 per box.  I didn't "need" any so I didn't buy any.  Now, here is what was interesting.  I commented that once the "ammo shortage" is over that I might be interested in buying a new .22 pistol.  His response was you should just go ahead and buy it now; we have plenty of ammo for the shooting range but we won't sell it retail.  I responded that if that was the case, then I just may buy that gun now but it won't be from a store that is keeping supply artificially restricted.

Pudgepork

.22 bullets are a cheap way to shoot.  You can go out and fire many many rounds without spending a lot of money.  Its a great way to initiate kids and gf's into the
world of shooting.  Spending a sunny afternoon shooting is great therapy and a
very nice stress reliever.  For reasons I do not know, the little .22 became rare
since the last election.   Every manufacturer says they are producing more than they
ever have, yet they are seldom found.

Humans want what they can't have.  If they can't find their favorite plinking round, their
desire for it grows and reaches a point where money is no object!  It is simply once again, john q public is played like a bass drum.   Spread a few rumors and get the masses running to hoard, cut the supply off and it creates a wealth of income for the big boys

DeltaBoy

I am waiting and seeing what going to happen when Squirrel season starts.

95_alum

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 04, 2013, 04:17:07 pm
I am waiting and seeing what going to happen when Squirrel season starts.

Ahemm, Squirrel season opened May 15th Delta.

Pudgepork

Quote from: 95_alum on September 04, 2013, 04:56:23 pm
Ahemm, Squirrel season opened May 15th Delta.

okay class!  settle down and watch as Deltaboy gives 95_alum a lesson on squirrel season

AcornHunter

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 03, 2013, 09:29:37 pm
I was helping my neighbor clean out his dad's garage a couple of weeks ago.  His dad passed away in May.  We came upon a wooden box with 20 or so boxes of .38 special ammo.  Upon further inspection, all the boxes were just full of spent brass.....however, at the bottom of the wooden box we found 5 bricks of CCI Blazer .22 shells and 10 boxes of CCI stingers.  Mr. Bill gave me all the Stingers and 4 of the Blazer bricks.  Also found this old single shot .12 guage made by Riverside Arms.  You can see the damage and it's rusty, but I offered him $10 for it and he said "no...you can have it."   
Anyway.....happy about the .22 shells and also got a shotgun out of it.  (we will see if it shoots and will have to replace that stock.

Being helpful, without a reward in mind, pays–here and there.

95_alum

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 03, 2013, 09:29:37 pm
Also found this old single shot .12 guage made by Riverside Arms.  You can see the damage and it's rusty, but I offered him $10 for it and he said "no...you can have it."   

Boyd's has a replacement walnut stock for Riverside. Call them to see if it'll work for that model.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=18842&cat=1227

DOGALUM

Quote from: AcornHunter on September 05, 2013, 08:38:51 pm
Being helpful, without a reward in mind, pays–here and there.
It's amazing what Bill's dad had stashed away in his home.

Mr. Bill (as my kids call him) is the guy who just shows up with tools and a creeper if you even raise your hood.  Any project you undertake, he has the knowledge and the tools.  Served on a diesel sub, then on a nuclear powered sub....retired from the navy then put in another 20 at Nuclear 1 in Russellville.  He is a good man and a good friend.   

DOGALUM

Quote from: 95_alum on September 05, 2013, 10:20:44 pm
Boyd's has a replacement walnut stock for Riverside. Call them to see if it'll work for that model.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=18842&cat=1227
Thanks 95.  I will look into it.   The stock, at some point, had some heavier than electrical tape wrapped around it.  I'm gonna see if it fires before I put any money into it.  Hope it does.   Will make a good "throw away" gun....if you follow.   Toss it right over a fence row.   LOL.

JaketheSnake

I have Dynamit Nobel .22LR ammo for sale.  I have several bricks.  $8.99 per 50ct and 76.50 for the brick. 

Not price gouging... this stuff is expensive for retailers to get also.

Outdoor Tech in Hiwasse.  Call me 479-344-6131

k9jack512

the big question is, were to find anykind of ammo right now. I would love to know myself.

Pudgepork

according to scott faldon, there has been .22 bullets available throughout this shortage in the fort smith area.  I don't know why the western part of the state has plenty and the rest has nil, but I've seen sf post several times that there were .22 pretty much anytime he went in Academy

DeltaBoy

No luck at my wally world yet.

95_alum

September 13, 2013, 10:48:30 am #31 Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:01:14 pm by 95_alum
550ct. bulk boxes (Remington) at the Bentonville Walmart this morning. Finally.

EDIT: 525ct.

DOGALUM

Quote from: 95_alum on September 13, 2013, 10:48:30 am
550ct. bulk boxes (Remington) at the Bentonville Walmart this morning. Finally.
I still have some of them from when they were $8.88.    How much are they now?

95_alum

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pudgepork on September 04, 2013, 07:10:51 pm
okay class!  settle down and watch as Deltaboy gives 95_alum a lesson on squirrel season

Yes but I don't hunt them until Fall.

DeltaBoy

Back to Walmart to check tomorrow.

Razorback7281

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 13, 2013, 11:30:28 am
Back to Walmart to check tomorrow.
Try Academy.  The one in Plano has been getting .22 shipments 2-3 times a week.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

Pudgepork

Mondays are your best best for .22 at Wally World.   Get thar early and stand in line. 

The lesson I thought you'd give is to explain that there is a spring squirrel season, fall squirrel hunting is much more popular.  Spring season is 1 month only, I believe.

A few weeks back I needed to be in town for a biz meeting so I made it a point to go in early and see about getting some .22 bullets.  I was first in line and a deputy sheriff was next.  A couple of weeks later I was once again in town and noticed a deputy sheriff vehicle at the local wally world.  Although it was nearing 7 am, I decided to try for bullets once again since I had been successful the first time.  A deputy vehicle was a sure sign that they had some because the first deputy told me he had inside info.

This 2nd trip found me 4th in line.  1st in line was a different deputy.  He had asked a story employee and was told there were 2 cases locked in the warehouse. Getting impatient, he asked another employee to go find out why they hadn't been brought out.  That employee told him they were coming and there was 1 case.  He called the 1st employee back and asked about the missing case.  The 1st employee came back and said there was only 1.  Deputy asked where the other case went.  He was told that it had been put on hold by the city police.   By this point there were 10 people in line.  Only 4 people in line got .22 bullets that morning because the city police pulled some strings.

I asked a city cop what was happening to the bullets put on hold and I was told I should look for them on ebay

AcornHunter

Someone's tax dollars at work!

"Who polices the policemen?"  Daddy always asked.

Sueie

Cabella has them in NWA.  Buckets of .22 long rifle HOLLOW POINTS. It don't get no better than that.

I still cannot understand people paying OUTRAGEOUS prices for .22 shells. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Razorback7281 on September 13, 2013, 01:22:26 pm
Try Academy.  The one in Plano has been getting .22 shipments 2-3 times a week.

Thanks we got hoarder who line up at Wally World at 5 am for the 7 am ammo stocking. They buy their limit of 3 and try and sell them on Trade Fair or at the next gun show for outragous prices.

derfarhar333

Walmart in Searcy ran a few guys I receiving off for phoning their buddies in to scoop it up as soon as it went out to the floor.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: derfarhar333 on September 16, 2013, 01:31:39 pm
Walmart in Searcy ran a few guys I receiving off for phoning their buddies in to scoop it up as soon as it went out to the floor.

Good I am tired of hearing these retired guys hawking Bricks for 60-100 bucks on my local Trade Fair Radio show.

cypert2

Bought a brick at my local wal mart last week. Guy said they got in 110 bricks one day the week before and sold them all that day.
Swinging on the two and the four.

kodiakisland

Stopped in this week at a Cabelas in MT and saw plenty of bulk boxes of win and rem 22lr as well as CCI 100 round packs.  Said they had just sold out of rem buckets they had in stock for several days.  The rem bulk was cheap, but not cheap enough to make me buy it. 
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DeltaBoy

sounds like it is getting better.

DeltaBoy

Another Saturday and NO 22 AMMO at Wal-Mart.  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

DeltaBoy

Stopped by a mom and pop gun shop , Yes we got plenty of 22 ammo ............ at $9:50 per a 50 round box.  I excused my self and left.

Pudgepork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 03, 2013, 12:15:31 pm
Stopped by a mom and pop gun shop , Yes we got plenty of 22 ammo ............ at $9:50 per a 50 round box.  I excused my self and left.

While I make it a point to try to help the mom and pop stores, I don't wanna pay
prices like this.  Agree with you Deltaboy.  Be polite and beat a hasty exit

kodiakisland

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 03, 2013, 12:15:31 pm

If you make it up to NWA let me know.  I have a bulk box I'll sell you for what I paid at cabelas.