Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

.22LR Semi-auto Rifle

Started by hogcoots, December 21, 2012, 04:04:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcoots

Looking to buy a good one.  Any suggestions?

kodiakisland

Ruger 10/22s are hard to beat for price and reliability.  S&W M&P15-22 is a fun rifle to shoot.  The marlin model 60 and browning SA-22 have been around for ever for good reason.  If you want to go retro, look for a decent used nylon 66.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

bulldog04

Ruger 10/22 and you can "dress" them up.  I've shot al lot of guns and the 10/22 is the best.  I haven't shot an ar style .22 but they would be fun to shoot. 

If you have an ar-15 can turn it into a .22

adave

I have had a 10/22 since I was about 7 years old (before that a Chipmunk).  They are unbeatable in my opinion.  The Belgium Brownings are real sweet too, more expensive and completely different feeling in your hands, but worth checking out.

tophawg19

also the remington 552's were good ones .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Rzbakfromwaybak

Ruger 10/22. is hard to beat.  Marlin model 60 is also very good.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

CallThemHawgs!

Ruger 10/22 and its not even close.

Availability of parts, reliability, and ease of use make the 10/22 unbeatable in my opinion. I have one and love it. Shoots anything, and shoots it well...

Willyboy

I've got one waiting for me under the tree.  I've already done hours of research on accessories and parts I want to change out.  Can't wait

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Willyboy on December 22, 2012, 01:24:59 am
I've got one waiting for me under the tree.  I've already done hours of research on accessories and parts I want to change out.  Can't wait

10/22? First and only thin I have done was put a really nice 1-7x Redfield scope with Leupold rings on it. Much more than it needs but for the price I could not pass it up. Get lots of the nice 25rd Ruger BX-25 mags too. They are a must have.

kodiakisland

Best upgrade for a 10/22 is a better trigger.  Why ruger makes such good guns with such crappy triggers makes no sense at all. 
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Willyboy

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on December 22, 2012, 01:28:36 am
10/22? First and only thin I have done was put a really nice 1-7x Redfield scope with Leupold rings on it. Much more than it needs but for the price I could not pass it up. Get lots of the nice 25rd Ruger BX-25 mags too. They are a must have.

Yep 10/22.  First thing I'd like to do is get a diff stock.  Can't stand that synthetic.  I got it from gander mtn and its coming with a 3-9 Simmons scope I think.  Can't remember, something like that.  I just plan on squirrel hunting and plinkin.  Eventually I'd like a nice trigger, a good accurate bull barrel, wood stock with a thumb hole, and a bipod.  That'll at least be upgrades that cost as much as the gun.  I don't want to put anymore into it than that.   

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Willyboy on December 22, 2012, 02:55:14 am
Yep 10/22.  First thing I'd like to do is get a diff stock.  Can't stand that synthetic.  I got it from gander mtn and its coming with a 3-9 Simmons scope I think.  Can't remember, something like that.  I just plan on squirrel hunting and plinkin.  Eventually I'd like a nice trigger, a good accurate bull barrel, wood stock with a thumb hole, and a bipod.  That'll at least be upgrades that cost as much as the gun.  I don't want to put anymore into it than that.

I bought 2.....10/22's last year.  Changed the triggers out, which are always rough on this model......then put Hogue stocks on them.  Also changed barrels out, since both mine did not give the kind of accuracy I wanted.  Tried 5 kinds of different ammo, with nothing shooting real good in either one. Bought 2 of the E.R. Shaw custom barrels that are in standard weight, instead of the bull barrel.  Love them, they outshoot the stock barrels hands down.  Tried the same ammo in the E.R. Shaw's, & both shot several different ones great. I think I only paid $72 each for them.  Well worth it.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

hogcoots

Thanks, guys.  I "pulled the trigger" on a 10/22 yesterday.

Willyboy

Quote from: hogcoots on December 23, 2012, 07:17:54 am

Let us know if you switch out any parts and customize it.

95_alum

philobeddoe

Quote from: hogcoots on December 23, 2012, 07:17:54 am

Wise choice.

DeltaBoy

Marlin 60 there is a reason over 3 million have been made and sold in the past 40 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Willyboy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 25, 2012, 03:27:17 pm
Marlin 60 there is a reason over 3 million have been made and sold in the past 40 years.

There's been well over 5 million Ruger 10/22s sold in about the same time. 

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 25, 2012, 03:27:17 pm

I like the Marlin 60, and its a great and reliable gun. But the lack of detachable mags completely ruins it for me.

I can get more shots off in 1 minute with my Ruger than you could in 10 with that Marlin.

DeltaBoy

Here is my take if you want something you can blow money on playing with the next 30 years get a Ruger.

If you want a solid game getter with nothing but a scope added that will last the rest of your life then get a Marlin 60.

Accuracy I have out shot dozens of Rugers even some who had those 3-5 hundred dollar tune up jobs on them.  The Ruger 10/22 is a fun can killer but that is about it for me. YMMV.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

the_kosher_pig

I have a Marlin 60, Winchester 190, and a Ruger 10/22.  I like all of them.  The Winchester and Marlin are both old.  The Marlin is a GREAT shooter though.  I have a set of leupold mounts and a BSA scope.  I like it a lot. 
The Ruger 10/22 I put an archangel stock on it.  I haven't shot it yet.  I'm waiting on another BSA scope and Leupold mounts to come in.  I love the feel even if it's plastic.  I could have bought a Mossberg 715T for the same price but this allows me to go back and forth between the synthetic stock and the archangel in a matter of minutes.
I picked up a BX25 magazine and a 50 round magazine at the Conway gunshow.  I'm happy with it so far.  I haven't shot it yet though. :o  Going this weekend to my parent's for a little plinking. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

DeltaBoy

Fun looking gun it will keep you shooting cans and rats for hours.

hogcoots

Just an update to put this thread to bed.  I received the 10/22 takedown this morning.  I haven't shot it yet but it is a neat little gun.  I had a gift card from Cabela's so it was a "freebie".  I am also awaiting the arrival of a Savage Mark II in .22 LR with the accutrigger, bull barrel, and laminate stock.  I hope that this turns out to be my tack driver.  I have heard several positive comments on the new Savage rifles and I wanted to give one a chance.  Next up...either a CZ in .17 HMR (probably 6 months out) or a .22 LR semi-auto pistol.

DOGALUM

Hogcoots.....I have the CZ 550 in a 22-250.  Love the gun and they have a single set trigger....which I love as well. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Pudgepork

if they were still being made, I'd strongly urge you to get a nylon 66.   I had one for years.  never cleaned it, just shot it ALOT.     I had bought mine used from a pawn shop
and whomever had it before me didn't give it a cleaning either.   I asked the pawn shop owner if it would shoot and he said he'd never tried it.   I took it outside, loaded a bullet and it shot so I paid him $80 bucks.    The truck I had at the time was a 1980 chevy luv
4 wheel drive.   it had a metal shelf behind the seat and when i got into the truck I dropped it over behind the bench seat with a CLANK, lol.    I shot thousands of rounds thru that gun and other than losing a screw outa the front site, no problems.  It was
almost indestructable.

A family friend had one that he was using to shoot at crows while waiting for combines to fill his truck.   when truck was full, he forgot he'd laid the
gun across the hood and took off.   the truck mashed the gun into the mud.   he found it
when he came back and cleaned the mud out of it.   it looks like hell but he still has it and uses it today.

The last one I saw for sale was $400 bucks.   I really like them but I won't have a problem passing that type of deal.   My BiL has a Browning Belguim.   Great gun but too
danged pretty to use much, lol

lumphog

Chk out a lever act. Browning SWEEEEEET!!!!