Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

.22 Long Rifle Shells

Started by SWD26, June 27, 2012, 05:58:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SWD26

Interested in knowing what some of the favorites are for hunters or paper punchers. I'm personally more interested in the accuracy part than velocity.

I figure there are some new ones out on the market that I haven't tried that some of you have!

Hogbody

CCI mini mag is pretty good bang for the buck

There are certainly some better ones, but the prices can get up there

SWD26

Quote from: Hogbody on June 27, 2012, 06:07:36 pm

Yeah, I've shot those quite a bit and agree, they have proven to be pretty accurate in my guns.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Sub-sonic for the neighborhood.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

kodiakisland

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 27, 2012, 06:47:01 pm

I use Aguila Super Colibri ammo for shooting things in my yard, which happens to be inside city limits.  So far no complaints from the neighbors.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

SWD26

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 27, 2012, 06:47:01 pm

I'm way out from any city limits, so noise is no problem whatsoever!

SWD26

Quote from: kodiakisland on June 27, 2012, 08:32:50 pm
I use Aguila Super Colibri ammo for shooting things in my yard, which happens to be inside city limits.  So far no complaints from the neighbors.

Now that is definitely new to me, never heard of such!

twistitup

what ever happened to shooting .22 shorts?  I still use them in my old bolt action .22, but modern day guns don't even list shorts as an option. Why did the .22 short die?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

tophawg19

cci stingers have been really good for me
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

kodiakisland

Quote from: SWD26 on June 27, 2012, 08:44:10 pm
Now that is definitely new to me, never heard of such!

They are great for close work that is noise sensitive, whatever that may be.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

kodiakisland

Quote from: twistitup on June 27, 2012, 08:55:59 pm
what ever happened to shooting .22 shorts?  I still use them in my old bolt action .22, but modern day guns don't even list shorts as an option. Why did the .22 short die?

Probably due to lack of use and expense.  I still use shorts when I run my trap line but don't know anyones else who uses them.

twistitup

Quote from: kodiakisland on June 27, 2012, 09:24:20 pm
Probably due to lack of use and expense.  I still use shorts when I run my trap line but don't know anyones else who uses them.

now you know somebody else that uses shorts...I shoot squirrel with them.

IronHog

Quote from: Hogbody on June 27, 2012, 06:07:36 pm

CCI is the old standby if you want quality .22 bullets from the local store.

If you want to try something bulk Federal makes some pretty good stuff I enjoyed for plinking and the like.........
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

SWD26

Quote from: IronHog on June 27, 2012, 10:03:28 pm
CCI is the old standby if you want quality .22 bullets from the local store.

If you want to try something bulk Federal makes some pretty good stuff I enjoyed for plinking and the like.........

I like the federal pretty well, they do shoot pretty good for being somewhat cheaper than many brands.

The most accurate shells I ever shot in my Browning were the RWS standard velocity but they ran about $4.00 a box when other standard shells were averaging about half that. Good to hunt with but certainly not for plinking!

Has anyone here ever shot the Elye (sp.) and if so, how were they?

IronHog

Quote from: SWD26 on June 27, 2012, 10:33:53 pm
I like the federal pretty well, they do shoot pretty good for being somewhat cheaper than many brands.

The most accurate shells I ever shot in my Browning were the RWS standard velocity but they ran about $4.00 a box when other standard shells were averaging about half that. Good to hunt with but certainly not for plinking!

Has anyone here ever shot the Elye (sp.) and if so, how were they?

Isn't eley what the target shooters use? 

You punching paper for fun or something more serious?

Hogbody

Eley are pretty pricey I believe

irishman

Quote from: SWD26 on June 27, 2012, 10:33:53 pm

The only problem I ever had with Federals is when I used to shoot an old six shot revolver. It seemed like Federal casings swelled or something and were hard to eject. They always shot well though.

I've always been pretty fond of CCI stingers

Rzbakfromwaybak

June 28, 2012, 03:06:00 am #17 Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:13:24 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
One that I have tried, & use.... with good results if you are looking for accuracy

Federal Auto Match.....claims Target Grade Accuracy, suppose to be ideal for semi-auto
.22LR.

Shoots & groups great in one of my ruger 10/22's

Wal Mart, box of 325......about $14.50 if I remember correctly.  Actually quite a bit cheaper than the CCI min mag...... muzzle velocity a little slower at 1200fps..compared to CCI's 1235.

You really never know how any are going to shoot in any particular gun, till you try em
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Albert Einswine

Been a CCI Stinger fan since I was 10 years old.  Always keep a couple of boxes around for woodchucks and the like.  They shoot very well and accurate out of my Savage bolt action.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

King TUSKankahamun

Only time I ever tried to shoot something with a short it rolled around for a few seconds then took off.

I was unaware that the standard Remington $18 box of 550 shells was not acceptable for every kinda use imaginable. I get maybe 5 dudes in a box but other than that Ive killed many a critter and coke can with those shells
Self proclaimed dead King of Hogville

SWD26

Quote from: IronHog on June 27, 2012, 10:45:19 pm
Isn't eley what the target shooters use? 

You punching paper for fun or something more serious?

I think your right, a lot of people use Eley  for target shooting but I thought they might be like RWS and have standard hunting loads also. I guess I could search it out on the internet being I never see any in stores around here!

SWD26

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 28, 2012, 03:06:00 am
One that I have tried, & use.... with good results if you are looking for accuracy

Federal Auto Match.....claims Target Grade Accuracy, suppose to be ideal for semi-auto
.22LR.

Shoots & groups great in one of my ruger 10/22's

Wal Mart, box of 325......about $14.50 if I remember correctly.  Actually quite a bit cheaper than the CCI min mag...... muzzle velocity a little slower at 1200fps..compared to CCI's 1235.

You really never know how any are going to shoot in any particular gun, till you try em

Thanks, I've never shot those, I'll have to try them out. Your right though, what is accurate in one gun may not shoot good at all in another. I do wonder though if that's more common in the cheaper shells, for the RWS seem to shoot accurate in everything and a lot of the match shooters swear by them and Eley.

I remember the old "Wildcat" shells that were popular way back when, they never shot accurate in any of my rifles!

Rzbakfromwaybak

June 29, 2012, 12:39:06 am #22 Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:42:45 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: SWD26 on June 28, 2012, 11:16:54 am
Thanks, I've never shot those, I'll have to try them out. Your right though, what is accurate in one gun may not shoot good at all in another. I do wonder though if that's more common in the cheaper shells, for the RWS seem to shoot accurate in everything and a lot of the match shooters swear by them and Eley.
I remember the old "Wildcat" shells that were popular way back when, they never shot accurate in any of my rifles!

Agree, I believe you are correct.  I do own, & have shot,  both .22 rifles & pistols that shoot & group the cheaper ammo excellent....& I take advantage of it when I find that.  But, the better quality ammo seems to show better accuracy...more often.

The Winchester "Wildcat" you mention, I use....functions great & the accuracy is fantastic in my Ruger Mark III pistol.  Only problem, I own 8 different .22 pistols & rifles.......& none of the others shoot the Wildcat ammo accurate.  On the other hand, the cheap Federal Champion 40gr solids....shoots very good in 3 of my guns.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

SultanofSwine

RWS Sub Sonics are what I prefer for skwerl hunting because of the consistent accuracy. They are not cost effective for a lot of plinking though. Hands down my favorite .22 round.

IronHog

Quote from: King TUSKankahamun on June 28, 2012, 10:13:28 am
Only time I ever tried to shoot something with a short it rolled around for a few seconds then took off.

I was unaware that the standard Remington $18 box of 550 shells was not acceptable for every kinda use imaginable. I get maybe 5 dudes in a box but other than that Ive killed many a critter and coke can with those shells

I use whatever bulk shells are around for plinking........ federal are the best, but the Win and Rem are fine too. There have been times I was shooting over 1,000 rounds of .22 per month...... not now though.

CCI' minimags come out for the more serious work...... probably more mental than anything.

If a .22 is in a truck it is loaded with stingers if I have them around.  They have better terminal performance on stuff like coyotes or beaver.

deshahawg

I prefer what ever brand is the least expensive when I go by wal-mart if I happen to run out. I've got over 5000 rounds right now so I should be good for a while.

Grunt

i like the little cb's. even less power than shorts. real quiet too but fast enough to be careful with. they can kill a varmint with half way good hit. 
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

SWD26

http://johno.myiglou.com/ammotest.htm

Here's a pretty good "test run" using several brands of ammo.

Verge

Well you can get pellet guns that pack the same power these days. Haven't shot a short since the 80's.

kodiakisland

I don't remember if these have been mentioned, but WOLF target ammo is worth trying.  It's about the cheapest target grade ammo, and usually shoots pretty well.  Supposedly, the 22 ammo is made in Germany, unlike the centerfire ammo produced in Russia.

twistitup

Quote from: Verge on July 21, 2012, 09:13:52 pm
Well you can get pellet guns that pack the same power these days. Haven't shot a short since the 80's.

I still crush squirrels with them. For me, it's not about power when shooting a .22

I like the silence of shorts

pigture perfect

I shoot Thunderbolts that I got from Wal-mart several years ago. They work pretty well. As far as shooting .22 shorts, I inherited a pistol from my grandad that only shoots shorts so I bought a box of CCI. I know it's the pistols fault, but I couldn't hit anything further than 20 feet consistently with it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

boomer68

For accuracy - Wolf will be hard to beat, but very pricey. New Cabelas in Rogers has them.  On a budget - like stated earlier Federal Automatch is pretty good. 

philobeddoe

I strictly squirrel hunt with my little 10/22 and shot thunderbolts and wildcats up until this year.  Never really had a lot of trouble hitting what I was aiming at (although my aim can be a little off at times  ;) ).  A couple of years ago, I noticed that my gun was misfiring more and more.  I broke it down and COMPLETELY cleaned it and the misfires kept coming. As it turned out, my firing pin and spring needed replacing.  When the gunsmith brought the gun back to me, we got into this ammo conversation.  I told him that I always shot the cheapest thing I could find.  He then told me that the gun's accuracy could increase dramatically just by stepping up the ammo grade just a little.  He said that obviously the high end match grade shells were the best, but that I could notice a big difference just by moving up to the mid grade shells like the Winchester Super X.   I went and bought a brick of the Super X 37gr. hollow point shells and quickly learned that he was telling me the truth.  My groups tightened up a lot and so has my aim.   ;D

DeltaBoy

CCI Min Mag for hunting and Federal, or Winny bulk for everything else.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rickm1976

CCI, Winchester, and Federal are all fine.  Just stay away from Remington.  I and several friends have bought Remington bulk packs of .22lr for steel challenge matches, and we all had an unacceptable number of misfires.  I have never had a problem with any of the cheap CCI, Federal, or Winchester.  I think Federal is the best bang for your buck.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: twistitup on June 27, 2012, 09:50:31 pm
now you know somebody else that uses shorts...I shoot squirrel with them.

I still buy shorts for my bolt rifle back yard work since I live in town, But My Grandpaw used nothing but shorts.   22 short HP were used for Hog killing critters in the trap or Bunnys and Tree Rats in the wood. I have used them out to 40 yards with great resutls on woodland critters and pest.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.