Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

.50 Cal

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, September 09, 2010, 01:10:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

can't remember if I brought this up....a good friend of mine employer just purchases a .50cal rifle.....for $8000.  I will include the video he made, shooting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR1pD6E5f7I

PP

DeltaBoy

Those things are a beast.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

gotyacovered

cant wait to see this...
You are what you tolerate.

Rocktownhog

GO HOGS!

RedRiverHog

I hope he plans on shooting further than 50yds.
Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

Slacker

Quote from: RedRiverHog on September 14, 2010, 03:27:24 pm

Ya. Same thoughts here. For what 1 round cost I'd be setting it up for further plinking.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: RedRiverHog on September 14, 2010, 03:27:24 pm
I don't know, not even sure why someone needs to own the thing.

PP

Slacker

Quote from: Pulledpork on September 14, 2010, 09:19:46 pm

PP

Have you saw the movie "Red Dawn"? You never know. The Russians may just parachute in at any moment.

gotyacovered

that is a beast. seeing as i just sold my 300 WSM (partially b/c of recoil and loudness...) i assume that's not the rifle for me.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 15, 2010, 08:25:08 am
that is a beast. seeing as i just sold my 300 WSM (partially b/c of recoil and loudness...) i assume that's not the rifle for me.
interesting enough, my buddy who shot it said it kicked less than his deer rifle

PP

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pulledpork on September 15, 2010, 09:11:27 am
interesting enough, my buddy who shot it said it kicked less than his deer rifle

PP

judging by the video i would have to say he is full of chit.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 15, 2010, 10:05:23 am
judging by the video i would have to say he is full of chit.
lol, male ego

PP

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pulledpork on September 15, 2010, 10:07:39 am
lol, male ego

PP

ya, when i bought (and sold) my 300 WSM... i was like... meh.... nah... doesnt kick much. strictly b/c of male ego the dude would never in a million years call me back and say... hey man, that thing kicks like a bull!!!! lol....

really, it wasn't the recoil as much as i am saying, but that thing was so loud, after shooting it out of a deer stand one time i couldn't hear for three days. LOUD.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 15, 2010, 10:24:54 am
ya, when i bought (and sold) my 300 WSM... i was like... meh.... nah... doesnt kick much. strictly b/c of male ego the dude would never in a million years call me back and say... hey man, that thing kicks like a bull!!!! lol....

really, it wasn't the recoil as much as i am saying, but that thing was so loud, after shooting it out of a deer stand one time i couldn't hear for three days. LOUD.
he did mention that, said he had two forms of hearing protection and still wasn't enough

PP

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pulledpork on September 15, 2010, 10:26:10 am
he did mention that, said he had two forms of hearing protection and still wasn't enough

PP

wow.

i saw below, slacker or someone comment on how much ammo cost, did he tell you?

DeltaBoy

I have been told it hurts like the devil even with a PAST pad over your shoulder and the Factory Recoil Pad.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 15, 2010, 10:28:35 am
wow.

no, but did see something about $4-5 per shell

PP

gotyacovered

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 15, 2010, 10:29:17 am
I have been told it hurts like the devil even with a PAST pad over your shoulder and the Factory Recoil Pad.

would guess its not the gun you want to take out plunking just wearing a tee shirt.

95_alum

The recoil looks waaaaay more manageable than a .577 T-Rex.

SpareRib

Quote from: Pulledpork on September 14, 2010, 09:19:46 pm
PP

Quote from: Slacker on September 14, 2010, 09:22:38 pm
Have you saw the movie "Red Dawn"? You never know. The Russians may just parachute in at any moment.

Ha!  Yep, that's why!   ;D
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Hawgon

I don't think they kick as bad as big deer rifle or a three inch 12 gauge.  They are really heavy for one thing and they are semi-automatic.  Both factors reduce recoil to a degree.

I don't really see the use in them though, especially in Arkansas.  You need to be able to shoot at least 500 yards to really make it even worthwhile to shoot one.  There aren't very many places in Arkansas that you can do that.

Slacker

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 15, 2010, 10:28:35 am
wow.

Scroll down twards the bottom of the link.

http://50bmgsupply.com/ammo.shtml#MATCH

SpareRib

My Memphis home is on Mud Island, in sight of the Pyramid.  On January 2 several years ago, my neighbor went to his garage and when backing out, noticed a hole and concrete fragments in the middle of his newly epoxied garage floor.  There was a hole in his garage roof, another in the bed of his pickup truck, and a .50 cal slug in the hole in his floor.

The only known .50 cal in the neighborhood is on the bow of the Coast Guard inflatable that patrols the river around the Memphis/Arkansas bridges.  No one ever fessed up, but I suspect that somebody had a few beers and cranked one off from the Coast Guard Station on New Year's Eve.

I am a lover of firearms, but see no earthly use for a .50 in civilian hands other than just pure fun. It would be fun to plink water buffalo at >800 yds with a .50 cal, but there is a game shortage around here.

Anything inside of that, a .308 would probably handle.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Slacker

Quote from: SpareRib on September 15, 2010, 03:35:56 pm
My Memphis home is on Mud Island, in sight of the Pyramid.  On January 2 several years ago, my neighbor went to his garage and when backing out, noticed a hole and concrete fragments in the middle of his newly epoxied garage floor.  There was a hole in his garage roof, another in the bed of his pickup truck, and a .50 cal slug in the hole in his floor.

The only known .50 cal in the neighborhood is on the bow of the Coast Guard inflatable that patrols the river around the Memphis/Arkansas bridges.  No one ever fessed up, but I suspect that somebody had a few beers and cranked one off from the Coast Guard Station on New Year's Eve.

I am a lover of firearms, but see no earthly use for a .50 in civilian hands other than just pure fun. It would be fun to plink water buffalo at >800 yds with a .50 cal, but there is a game shortage around here.

Anything inside of that, a .308 would probably handle.

I agree. That being said. I'd love the opportunity to fire one a few times. Providing somebody else is paying for the ammo....

SpareRib

Quote from: Slacker on September 15, 2010, 04:53:40 pm
I agree. That being said. I'd love the opportunity to fire one a few times. Providing somebody else is paying for the ammo....

Me too! ;D

DeltaBoy

I would love to have one but dang I can buy my soon to be teenager a good used car for the price.

Porkys Revenge

I bet all the adjoining landowners are real glad he got that thing.  :)

SultanofSwine

That might get thru the shield on a big hog. Neat little gun.

RedRiverHog

Quote from: Hawgon on September 15, 2010, 02:37:15 pm
I don't really see the use in them though, especially in Arkansas.  You need to be able to shoot at least 500 yards to really make it even worthwhile to shoot one.  There aren't very many places in Arkansas that you can do that.

Never hunt the bean fields much huh?

I'd love to have one and would royally FSU. Surplus ammo can be had for ~3 bucks a shell. It's second on my list behind a M1918 BAR.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

Slacker

Quote from: RedRiverHog on September 21, 2010, 08:11:31 pm
Never hunt the bean fields much huh?

Surplus ammo can be had for ~3 bucks a shell.

It's a round... But what ever. Shells go in shotguns & canons. FWIW.  ;D

RedRiverHog

They also go in the ocean so yea...what ever.  :)

Slacker

Quote from: RedRiverHog on September 21, 2010, 08:30:45 pm
They also go in the ocean so yea...whatever.  :)

LOL! 

It's actually a cartridge. But whatever.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Slacker on September 21, 2010, 08:15:30 pm
It's a round... But what ever. Shells go in shotguns & canons. FWIW.  ;D

i thought it was a bullet.

Slacker

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 22, 2010, 08:30:17 am
i thought it was a bullet.

A cartridge is made up of 4 components.

1. The projectile (bullet). This is what leaves the muzzle of the firearm. Fired accurately down range.
2. The powder. This is the propellent (fuel) inside the cartridge that causes pressure, once ignited it sends the projectile down range.
3. The primer. This is what ignites the propellent once a striker (or hammer) hits it.
4. The casing. This is the brass case that contains the 3 items above.

The complete package is called a cartridge. Next time you purchase a box of "bullets" or "shells", look on the box. The ammo company has it right. ;)

gotyacovered

Quote from: Slacker on September 22, 2010, 08:39:53 am
A cartridge is made up of 4 components.

1. The projectile (bullet). This is what leaves the muzzle of the firearm. Fired accurately down range.
2. The powder. This is the propellent (fuel) inside the cartridge that causes pressure, once ignited it sends the projectile down range.
3. The primer. This is what ignites the propellent once a striker (or hammer) hits it.
4. The casing. This is the brass case that contains the 3 items above.

The complete package is called a cartridge. Next time you purchase a box of "bullets" or "shells", look on the box. The ammo company has it right. ;)

you got it all wrong man. a bullet ( • ) is a typographical symbol or glyph used to introduce items in a list. For example:

•  Item 1
    •  Item 2
    •  Item 3

Slacker

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 22, 2010, 09:02:05 am
you got it all wrong man. a bullet ( • ) is a typographical symbol or glyph used to introduce items in a list. For example:

•  Item 1
    •  Item 2
    •  Item 3

LOL! Touche'.

Slacker

I forgot who said it, but I know I read it in a NRA magazine years ago. I think it was the old dude who used to have a column on the last page of the periodical.

He once printed something I thought was pretty wise in reference to guns and ammo.

Guns don't kill people. A projectile fired down range, accurately and at a high velocity kills people.