Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"green" bullets

Started by hogdiggity, March 10, 2009, 11:43:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogdiggity

One more thing coming at us hunting/shooting lovers, some states are already banning lead based bullets

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/03/04/green.bullets/index.html

DeltaBoy

IMO it is a much to do about nothing.  Outside of Gun ranges I have not seen any real proof that Lead is a problem when it comes to hunting outside of a remote chance with Waterfowl.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kilgor

I don't think bullets collecting into a berm at a shooting range or a bullet here or there from big and small game hunting is something to be concerned about.

I've had second thoughts about the millions of pounds of fine particle lead that we spray about fields while dove hunting.  I love dove hunting with my family, but I need to do some research to see how easily these small pieces of lead enter the drinking water and crops grown in these fields.  I know that I often shoot 4-5 boxes of shells a day dove hunting.  Maybe I just need to get better, but I know that I'm not alone in doing that... ;D
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

hogdiggity

I agree with you two guys that it seems to be a pretty minimal risk for a mineral that occurs naturally, but it is a bit concerning that our governments want to control our use of it.  I saw a special about the military changing to "green bullets" a while back, they are using polymer based bullets, I don't want to hunt with plastic bullets (maybe they would work fine, I just don't know).  Polymer seems like you could have an "environmental issue" with the residue there too as it is probably petroleum based.  Solid copper bullets will perform fine, but with what copper was costing the last few years, it could get expensive real quick. 

It just always seems like there is something pushing against hunters.

irishman

If they can make some that performs as well as lead then so be it but I suspect if there were another metal that would do that it would already be in use.
Is there an inexpensive metal that is as dense and maliable as lead?

deshahawg

If we don't start acting on this now It will get out of hand. No telling how expensive shells for a rifle will become. Shot shells are already crazy for waterfowl.

kodiakisland

What bothers me about "green" ammo is where the push for it is coming from.  Is it for our safety, or is it a veiled attempt at gun control?

The tests the CDC has done on people eating wild game shot with lead bullets show they have slightly lower lead levels than people who do not eat wild game.  There is no proof that condors consume a significant amount of lead in the areas in California that have banned lead bullets, only theory.

How much lead was ingested by bird hunters over the years without any evidence of problems?

Some common sense goes a long way.  If you are shooting standard bullets or bullets designed for rapid expansion out of a high velocity chambering, maybe a little more care is warranted.  Lung shots, premium bonded bullets, or all copper bullets might be the way to go.  Also, don't keep any blood shot meat and trim well around the wound areas.  If grinding meat, don't allow a bullet to enter the grinder and be ground up into the meat.

I personally feel most of the "green" movement is a way around gun control.  Increase the cost of the ammo and there will be less people shooting and hunting.  Some of the older cartridges will no longer be in use because it will not be profitable for the ammo manufacturers to make it.  We already pay a 10% tax on ammo above and beyond the sales tax.  New "taxes" are being proposed every day in congress to keep you from buying ammo and to drive ammo makers out of business.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HuntinHog

The only green I'm concerned about is how much is required to purchase the bullets.  Usually whenever someone mentions green in an environmental context you can interchange it with expensive.

DeltaBoy

It is all about controlling guns by messing with the ammo.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorbacker231

^^^
bingo.  they are never going to take our guns away.  to many people would be up in arms about the 2nd amendment.  what they will do is boil the water slowly.  taking away one little piece at a time, till more and more people finally throw up their arms and say F it.  either that or make it so expensive that a lot will not be able to afford it.

IronHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 11, 2009, 01:58:45 pm
It is all about controlling guns by messing with the ammo.

Not all of it:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/

This company has taken a significant share of the bullet market by offering a superior product.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.