Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

* Deer Contest Scoring Idea *

Started by Amityvillehogger, August 26, 2008, 03:45:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Amityvillehogger

This is just something that i've seen in most and something added since some wanted spread and points.

Scoring

5 points per deer. Buck or Doe.
1 additional point will be added for every point on a rack of 1 inch or more.
1 additional point added for every inch of spread.

Example

8 point, 15 inch spread = 5 + 8 + 15 = 28 points

Doe = 5 points.

What do you guys think?  Any suggestion or another system is fine by me.  This is just off the top of my head.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

195bc

Why not just just have a big buck contest and add up antler inches: main beams and each point of 1 inch or more? And as B&C states, a point has to be longer than it is wide at the base of the point.

Don't worry about mass, inside spread or deductions.

195bc

Then my next question is: Do velvet antlers count?

Kentucky bow season starts in a week and half and I've got a decent buck walking by a new stand location nearly every evening 20 minutes before dark. I'm feeling fairly confident. But he'll likely still be in velvet.

mr4pt

Milton

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on August 26, 2008, 03:45:58 pm
Deer hit by my car= priceless
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

J.A.Y.

Quote from: MB on August 26, 2008, 05:24:37 pm
I hope we keep it simple this year...last years rules stunk with counting points double, ect.
Whatever you guys want to do...but I like this:

Scoring

Example

8 point, 15 inch spread =  5 + 8 + 15 = 13 points

Doe = 5 points.

This sounds like the easiest way.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

ArrowsATC

It just seems like a tiny little twiggy 6 shouldnt score the same as a thick 6 with a 20in spread. I don't think it is too much to count the points and measure the spread.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: 195bc on August 26, 2008, 05:50:53 pm
Then my next question is: Do velvet antlers count?

Kentucky bow season starts in a week and half and I've got a decent buck walking by a new stand location nearly every evening 20 minutes before dark. I'm feeling fairly confident. But he'll likely still be in velvet.

Would it really be fair for someone to go to kansas or one of the other land of the giants and kill a monster that we just can't grow here in arkansas? We actually only counted deer killed in AR last year.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: 195bc on August 26, 2008, 05:46:51 pm
Why not just just have a big buck contest and add up antler inches: main beams and each point of 1 inch or more? And as B&C states, a point has to be longer than it is wide at the base of the point.

Don't worry about mass, inside spread or deductions.

Too complicated
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

SultanofSwine

All three y/o does or older taken by bow count double ;D

Amityvillehogger

To make it fair, we need to have pictures of the deer taken.  Front of the body and you behind it.  Therefore, you cheaters don't take pictures of mounts. ;D
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

JusticeHawg

So what happens to all the Arkansas folks that have moved for one reason or another?   I realize that if someone went out to Kansas or West Tx or even some of the Mississippi river Islands down around the Vicksburg area (that only happens to be a hour drive for me.....hint hint)......lol...   that wouldn't be fair to the local hunter who works his land to have trophy bucks of his own

I guess I will just have to drive up to Philo's house and whack one of his bucks........don't mind me if you see my truck parked on your land when your on the way to work some morning Philo.....that's just me out there trying to drop a few of your deer.

I am kinda wondering about the points for doe's.......what if your enrolled in one of those deer management deals with the Wildlife and Fisheries and get a load of doe tags and just lay waist to a bunch of doe's?   I know down here in Louisiana the Agency will give so many tags for whatever their biologist says that certain area of land needs to thin the herd out......

I'm just stirring the pot to be honest....I more than likely wont hunt but 1 or 2 times this year.    I was just wondering  about the doe points.
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

clifflee4mvp

I say if you legally harvest the deer in arkansas (be it with extra doe tag, etc.) then it counts.

SultanofSwine

I guess I dont get why it matters where the deer come from. I am planning a week in north mizzou and if I tag up there it does not count enven though that is a week that I could be here killin deer. What about hogville folks that do not live in AR? If there was some big prize or a bunch of money at stake that would be one thing but I dont get it with this deal???

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: JusticeHawg on August 27, 2008, 12:47:27 pm

I am kinda wondering about the points for doe's.......what if your enrolled in one of those deer management deals with the Wildlife and Fisheries and get a load of doe tags and just lay waist to a bunch of doe's?   I know down here in Louisiana the Agency will give so many tags for whatever their biologist says that certain area of land needs to thin the herd out......

I'm just stirring the pot to be honest....I more than likely wont hunt but 1 or 2 times this year.    I was just wondering  about the doe points.

Thats why I've been asking questions and trying to get this thing running.  Usually in the ones I've been in before, we get points from the 4 deer that you are allowed to harvest in Arkansas.  If you have extra tags, then whack the heck out of some doe's, but it's usually you get points for your two bucks and two doe's. 
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

J.A.Y.

last year we did the limit as state here in Arkansas.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

J.A.Y.

I think I asked this in another thread, but are we going to count Bow Season this year?

Last year we didn't, but I vote that we do this year.

Brand X Hog Fan

I like the 5+ total points idea and was just logging on to suggest that when I saw this thread. Adding the spread is not that big of a problem.  I think we should only count two deer apiece, taken by any means. You can cull smaller bucks or does if you fill your bag and get a better deer on the 3rd or 4th kill. This will make it more fair since a lot of us only hunt one method.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Whiskey River

I do think the spread should be counted. A 10" 8 point shouldn't bring in the same points as an 18" 8pt. Just a thought.
This species has amused itself to death...

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: J.A.Y. on August 27, 2008, 03:40:58 pm
I think I asked this in another thread, but are we going to count Bow Season this year?

Last year we didn't, but I vote that we do this year.

Yeah, we got started late last year and went through all that retroactive b.s. Bow season will count.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: JusticeHawg on August 27, 2008, 12:47:27 pm
So what happens to all the Arkansas folks that have moved for one reason or another?   I realize that if someone went out to Kansas or West Tx or even some of the Mississippi river Islands down around the Vicksburg area (that only happens to be a hour drive for me.....hint hint)......lol...   that wouldn't be fair to the local hunter who works his land to have trophy bucks of his own

It doesn't matter to me where you kill the deer as long as it is a whitetail and killed between 10-1-08 and 2-28-09. No muleys, elks, sitka blacktails, caribous or mooses allowed!