Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

.17 round

Started by Slacker, June 15, 2008, 03:28:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slacker

I've been holding off on purchasing this rifle waiting for it to "soak" for a while and hear if it is THAT much better than the .22LR and .22Mag.

Go ahead:

IronHog

Quote from: Slacker on June 15, 2008, 03:28:46 pm
I've been holding off on purchasing this rifle waiting for it to "soak" for a while and hear if it is THAT much better than the .22LR and .22Mag.

Go ahead:

If you want to extend the range of your rim fire it is better, but some of the new .22 mag loadings are pushing the velocity up there.

For general plinking the 22 will always reign supreme due to ammo cost.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

pipehog

I've got one of the first generation bull  barreled rifles that Savage made when it came out. I'm gonna give it to one of my boys, the gun shoots great and is very accurate. I don't like the trigger mine has, it's not adjustable. If you get one you have to call your shots, it'll tear a busy tail in half. If varmint huntin is your your thing and you don't care about meat or pelt damage its a fun round to have

Hawgon

Depends on how one defines "better".  It is more powerful and has a longer range than a .22 rimfire.  But, of course, the ammo costs like a centerfire and as a rimfire, you can't reload.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pipehog

Who really cares if it's better or not, get yourself a new toy

DeltaBoy

I heard that 17 makes stray cats go splat!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

dutmac

I have a .17 Savage with a bull barrel. At 100 yds, with a cheap scope I can cover 4 shots with a dime, and I don't shoot a whole lot.  I've also seen a guy shoot doves at 175 yds. Anyway i've never had a .22 magnum, but I am impressed with my .17 HMR.

X Hawgfan X

the .17 is better than .22 mag in most cases...If you are hunting larger game some say it is better to use the 22 mag because of its knock down power..I don't agree because if you can shoot them in the eye what difference does it make.

Slacker

Quote from: X Hawgfan X on June 30, 2008, 09:00:04 am
the .17 is better than .22 mag in most cases...If you are hunting larger game some say it is better to use the 22 mag because of its knock down power..I don't agree because if you can shoot them in the eye what difference does it make.

Good point.