Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DWR Stadium Expansion

Started by longpig, February 02, 2017, 02:12:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bash

Quote from: AP85 on January 19, 2018, 01:22:14 pm
The better question is.

How are they going to get some wins inside the stadium?

You could set up some nasty screen plays if there were several cranes on the field.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

ricepig

Quote from: Bash on January 19, 2018, 01:43:48 pm
You could set up some nasty screen plays if there were several cranes on the field.

Home field advantage.....

bphi11ips

Quote from: Bash on January 19, 2018, 01:43:48 pm

Or we could use ladders...
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

razCzar

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2018, 01:41:33 pm
So, it was a tradition. You never saw people sitting on the hill watching a game, taking a picture, or read about this?
Interestingly, I never noticed fans sitting on the hill for games.  If they actually were, it was still not considered a "tradition" at the time.  Further, until this expansion, I had never heard it referred to as such. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2018, 01:41:33 pm
So, it was a tradition. You never saw people sitting on the hill watching a game, taking a picture, or read about this?

Most of us traditionally stop at red lights, but that's not the type of tradition we're talking about.  Looking into the stadium while driving down Maple doesn't sound like a tradition to me.  Sitting on the hill near the stoplight and watching games has, I suppose, been a tradition, and maybe that spot offers a good photo op.  My point, and razCzar's, is that I doubt any of us considered those things to be great Arkansas traditions until we were told they are when the plans were released. 

Here's the official release:

"Every college football stadium has its signature architectural focal point. The look-in opening on the northeast corner of DWRRS is its most recognizable vantage point, allowing Arkansans throughout the years to peer onto the field to see the Razorback at midfield and the illuminated Home of the Razorbacks display. The renovation project will preserve and build upon this iconic feature as a nod toward the unparalleled traditions of Razorback Football."

That seems to have evolved a bit since the first press release.  I get the point and agree that people, including myself, have enjoyed looking into the stadium from the north side for any number of reasons for generations.  If the athletic department wants to describe that as a tradition it's fine with me. 

GuvHog

Quote from: razCzar on January 19, 2018, 01:55:02 pm
Interestingly, I never noticed fans sitting on the hill for games.  If they actually were, it was still not considered a "tradition" at the time.  Further, until this expansion, I had never heard it referred to as such. 

Ever since I started going to the games in 1999, that corner was full of people sitting in the grass watching what they could of the game.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

AirWarren

Quote from: GuvHog on January 19, 2018, 01:59:12 pm
Ever since I started going to the games in 1999, that corner was full of people sitting in the grass watching what they could of the game.

Ol.

Bowl it in.

razCzar

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 19, 2018, 01:57:27 pm
Most of us traditionally stop at red lights, but that's not the type of tradition we're talking about.  Looking into the stadium while driving down Maple doesn't sound like a tradition to me.  Sitting on the hill near the stoplight and watching games has, I suppose, been a tradition, and maybe that spot offers a good photo op.  My point, and razCzar's, is that I doubt any of us considered those things to be great Arkansas traditions until we were told they are when the plans were released. 

"Every college football stadium has its signature architectural focal point. The look-in opening on the northeast corner of DWRRS is its most recognizable vantage point, allowing Arkansans throughout the years to peer onto the field to see the Razorback at midfield and the illuminated Home of the Razorbacks display. The renovation project will preserve and build upon this iconic feature as a nod toward the unparalleled traditions of Razorback Football."

That seems to have evolved a bit since the first press release.  I get the point and agree that people, including myself, have enjoyed looking into the stadium from the north side for any number of reasons for generations.  If the athletic department wants to describe that as a tradition it's fine with me.
Exactly. 
I have no problem with new traditions.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

razorbackfaninar

I'm 40-ish, and I live in Central Arkansas, raised in south and Central Arkansas, and I can tell you that since I was a kid and going to games with my dad and since I have been old enough to drive myself to Fayetteville for games or go through the area for any reason if we have the extra time we usually stop by there to look down into the stadium, sometimes to take pictures sometimes not, and as often as not I run into other fans there doing the same thing.  I don't mean we watch games there, It's always been on a non-game day like a day before or after a game or sometime during the off season.  I liked to do it when I was a kid and my kids like to do it now. I guess it's because we don't live in the area so it has always been a neat thing for us to just drop in and be able to see down onto the field. I don't know if you want to call that a tradition or not, but I did that with my dad and I do it now with my kids.I don't think it was made up to sell an architectural feature of the stadium     

ChitownHawg

Quote from: JONAS on December 12, 2017, 01:02:20 pm
That would be cool.  Could also have conference championship banners and bowl banners as well.

That's what we need - a constant reminder of how we have sucked since joining the SEC. All of those SWC banners would simply highlight this.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

OneLardAlmighty

January 19, 2018, 03:51:34 pm #1361 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:25:20 pm by OneLardAlmighty

If the point of this is to discredit this "tradition" as some empty Jeff Long inspired marketing ploy, then fine, I have no stake in calling it that.  Nor do I think it has ever been customary, at least since the North End Zone facility was built in the 70s, for many people to cop a free view of the game from the hill to the northeast.  Certainly not enough to merit that designation.

But for me at least, there has always been something a little magical and awe-inspiring about topping over the hill on Maple (the way my family always came to the games when I was a kid and the way I prefer to approach the stadium even now), peering down into the stadium in the valley, and seeing the green turf below and "Home of the Razorbacks" in bold red letters on the press box above, a detail that dates from at least the 1970s and has been retained through every renovation since. 

There's a reason for that 1950s photo of people picnicking on the hill above, a reason why many fans, myself included, have taken photos of themselves and their friends from that location, a reason why College Gameday chose that northeast corner as the location for their set on their one visit to Fayetteville.  It's an awesome view.  I thought it was awesome when I was 10 years old in 1977 and Razorback Stadium was a 41,000 seat erector set with a metal press box on top, and it's awesome now.  Maybe it's just me, but there's always something a little bit thrilling about approaching a stadium.  I imagine it's sort of like the experience of a medieval peasant approaching a giant cathedral towering in the distance above everything else.  I've seen bigger stadiums and stadiums situated in more dramatic settings.  I've seen DKR in Austin, Notre Dame stadium, Bryant-Denny, Jordan-Hare, Neyland, and Folsom Field nestled against the Flatirons in Boulder.  I've kayaked right up to Huskie Stadium from Lake Washington in Seattle.  I'm sure there are some others I've forgotten, and some--like Rutgers--which I've tried to forget.  I'm know I'm biased, but for my money the approach to Razorback Stadium, at least from the northeast, is as awe-inspiring any in college football.   I don't know whether that's a tradition, but I have always thought that.  Apparently someone who had a hand in the design did too.

There's something unique--and uniquely Arkansas about it:  not just the fact that you can see into the stadium itself, but also the fact that in the Ozarks, unlike most mountain ranges, you don't stand at the bottom and look up so much as stand on top of the mountains and look down.  I can't think of many stadiums you descend into.  It's maybe one of the reasons Freddie Steinmark said that "playing in Fayetteville is like parachuting into Russia."

ricepig

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on January 19, 2018, 03:51:34 pm
If the point of this is to discredit this "tradition" as some empty Jeff Long inspired marketing ploy, then fine, I have no stake in calling it that.  Nor do I think it has ever been customary, at least since the North End Zone facility was built in the 70s, for many people to cop a free view of the game from the hill to the northeast.  Certainly not enough to merit that designation.

But for me at least, there has always been something a little magical and awe-inspiring about topping over the hill on Maple (the way my family always came to the games when I was a kid and the way I prefer to approach the stadium even now), peering down into the stadium in the valley, and seeing the green turf below and "Home of the Razorbacks" in bold red letters on the press box above, a detail that dates from at least the 1970s and has been retained through every renovation since. 

There's a reason for that 1950s photo of people picnicking on the hill above, a reason why many fans, myself included, have taken photos of themselves and their friends from that location, a reason why College Gameday chose that northeast corner as the location for their set on their one visit to Fayetteville.  It's an awesome view.  I thought it was awesome when I was 10 years old in 1977 and Razorback Stadium was a 41,000 seat erector set with a metal press box on top, and it's awesome now.  Maybe it's just me, but there's always something a little bit thrilling about approaching a stadium.  I imagine it's sort of like the experience of a medieval peasant approaching a giant cathedral towering in the distance above everything else.  I've seen bigger stadiums and stadiums situated in more dramatic settings.  I've seen DKR in Austin, Notre Dame stadium, Bryant-Denny, Jordan-Hare, Neyland, and Folsom Field nestled against the Flatirons in Boulder.  I've kayaked right up to Huskie Stadium from Lake Washington in Seattle.  I'm sure there are some others I've forgotten, and some--like Rutgers--which I've tried to forget.  I'm know I'm biased, but for my money the approach to Razorback Stadium, at least from the northeast, is as awe-inspiring any in college football.  I don't know whether that's a tradition, but I have always thought that.  Apparently someone who had a hand in the design did too.

+1000 I'd call that a tradition, just as I would about the poster and his Dad, and now his children.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2018, 03:56:41 pm
+1000 I'd call that a tradition, just as I would about the poster and his Dad, and now his children.

I do the same thing.  I live 1000 miles away now, but we visit Fayetteville every summer.  One of the first things my boys want to do, who are about the same age I was when I really fell for the Hogs, is drive by and look at the stadium.  (I don't tell them I thought they'd never ask.)  I always go out of my way to take them up Maple, wherever we may be when they happen to ask.  And I can tell it affects them the same way it did me when I was their age. 

I admit that the new design takes some getting used to.  It's asymmetrical, for one thing, as many people complained.  And a lot of us have spent a year staring at the construction cameras, which shows the thing from its most unflattering perspective--the tower in the southwest end zone.  This accentuates the gap, as does the fact that the seating and the northeast tower are unfinished.  The view will be very different from almost everywhere else inside the stadium.  I think the mockups look great, and I think when it's finished and all tied together, it's going to be really impressive.  At least I hope so.  And I, for one, will be happy if I can peer down from the top of Maple and read "Home of the Razorbacks." 

Or just "Home", for that matter.

AirWarren

Quote from: ChitownHawg on January 19, 2018, 02:33:22 pm
That's what we need - a constant reminder of how we have sucked since joining the SEC. All of those SWC banners would simply highlight this.

Yes, yes, yes.  That 1964 "national champion" banner would seal the deal for recruits.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on January 19, 2018, 01:59:12 pm

I think he means across the road where the hill goes up towards the Administration building. There have always been people sitting on the grassy hill inside the stadium sidewalk watching games.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

January 21, 2018, 11:44:09 am #1366 Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:35:47 pm by Inhogswetrust

There's a reason for that 1950s photo of people picnicking on the hill above, a reason why many fans, myself included, have taken photos of themselves and their friends from that location, a reason why College Gameday chose that northeast corner as the location for their set on their one visit to Fayetteville.  It's an awesome view.  I thought it was awesome when I was 10 years old in 1977 and Razorback Stadium was a 41,000 seat erector set with a metal press box on top, and it's awesome now.  Maybe it's just me, but there's always something a little bit thrilling about approaching a stadium.  I imagine it's sort of like the experience of a medieval peasant approaching a giant cathedral towering in the distance above everything else.  I've seen bigger stadiums and stadiums situated in more dramatic settings.  I've seen DKR in Austin, Notre Dame stadium, Bryant-Denny, Jordan-Hare, Neyland, and Folsom Field nestled against the Flatirons in Boulder.  I've kayaked right up to Huskie Stadium from Lake Washington in Seattle.  I'm sure there are some others I've forgotten, and some--like Rutgers--which I've tried to forget.  I'm know I'm biased, but for my money the approach to Razorback Stadium, at least from the northeast, is as awe-inspiring any in college football.   I don't know whether that's a tradition, but I have always thought that.  Apparently someone who had a hand in the design did too.

There's something unique--and uniquely Arkansas about it:  not just the fact that you can see into the stadium itself, but also the fact that in the Ozarks, unlike most mountain ranges, you don't stand at the bottom and look up so much as stand on top of the mountains and look down.  I can't think of many stadiums you descend into.  It's maybe one of the reasons Freddie Steinmark said that "playing in Fayetteville is like parachuting into Russia."

Agree. The one that I've seen that rivals that view is from the back top of the end zone hill at Clemson where Howards Rock is and the players run down into the stadium.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on January 19, 2018, 04:16:29 pm
I do the same thing.  I live 1000 miles away now, but we visit Fayetteville every summer.  One of the first things my boys want to do, who are about the same age I was when I really fell for the Hogs, is drive by and look at the stadium.  (I don't tell them I thought they'd never ask.)  I always go out of my way to take them up Maple, wherever we may be when they happen to ask.  And I can tell it affects them the same way it did me when I was their age. 

I admit that the new design takes some getting used to.  It's asymmetrical, for one thing, as many people complained.  And a lot of us have spent a year staring at the construction cameras, which shows the thing from its most unflattering perspective--the tower in the southwest end zone.  This accentuates the gap, as does the fact that the seating and the northeast tower are unfinished.  The view will be very different from almost everywhere else inside the stadium.  I think the mockups look great, and I think when it's finished and all tied together, it's going to be really impressive.  At least I hope so.  And I, for one, will be happy if I can peer down from the top of Maple and read "Home of the Razorbacks." 

Or just "Home", for that matter.

Several stadiums are asymmetrical now either through renovations/additions or new construction.

razCzar

The NEZ expansion #1 Time-Lapse camera has been blurry since Friday.
On one of your frequent trips to Maple @ Stadium, ricepig, maybe you can climb up and refocus.  lol

bphi11ips

Good post. I feel the same way in many respects. The view as a whole is the reason the corner of Maple and Stadium is a photo op. The view wouldn't be the same without the stadium. The view of the field itself makes it better.

I never said anything about a Jeff Long marketing ploy. Does it feel that way to you?

ricepig

Quote from: razCzar on January 21, 2018, 11:47:29 am
The NEZ expansion #1 Time-Lapse camera has been blurry since Friday.
On one of your frequent trips to Maple @ Stadium, ricepig, maybe you can climb up and refocus.  lol

I guess you aren't paying for the premium camera, are you? It's been perfectly in focus.......

razCzar

Quote from: ricepig on January 21, 2018, 11:55:15 am
I guess you aren't paying for the premium camera, are you? It's been perfectly in focus.......
Oh, you thought I was referring to the camera??
;D

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 21, 2018, 11:50:56 am
Good post. I feel the same way in many respects. The view as a whole is the reason the corner of Maple and Stadium is a photo op. The view wouldn’t be the same without the stadium. The view of the field itself makes it better.

I never said anything about a Jeff Long marketing ploy. Does it feel that way to you?

No, not really.  I guess that was how I interpreted it when you said, "I doubt any of us considered those things to be great Arkansas traditions until we were told they are when the plans were released."  Forgive me if I jumped to conclusions.  There's a lot of cynicism around here about everything Jeff Long did.  I probably just assimilated it into that. 

roothawg

Won't get any louder if people are behind glass and no part of the game

ricepig

Quote from: roothawg on January 21, 2018, 05:19:34 pm

The suites have outdoor seats, and the loge box and club seats are all outside. I guess you haven't looked at the rendering of the construction cameras?

stu06258

..  .    .l

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: roothawg on January 21, 2018, 05:19:34 pm

Haven't you heard. It was designed with exactly the right curvature that all the existing seats noise will bounce off it into only the opponents sideline.

jdlew

What does the stadium construction look like now?

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: jdlew on January 22, 2018, 05:23:39 pm

Probably have to wait until tomorrow to get the best view of construction as it is on the day your view it.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/universityofarkansas

GoHogzzGo

Lol #neveryield still on the ribbon bar thing. Need to get that updated for the next video.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

FraggleHog

Quote from: jdlew on January 22, 2018, 05:23:39 pm

Night pics actually offer nice contrast since the interior is lit up
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on January 22, 2018, 05:42:43 pm
Lol #neveryield still on the ribbon bar thing. Need to get that updated for the next video.
Why? Never yield was part of this university long before bielema. Its on the floor of bud Walton and is part of our fight song
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

NoogaHog

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on January 22, 2018, 05:42:43 pm

Now aren't you just #uncommon!
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Hoggish1

Love it.  When can we play in that thing, next week?

GoHogzzGo

January 24, 2018, 07:28:04 am #1384 Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 07:39:07 am by GoHogzzGo
Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 23, 2018, 07:38:54 am
Why? Never yield was part of this university long before bielema. Its on the floor of bud Walton and is part of our fight song

Ah dang it. I was thinking #uncommon. Too many sayings now.
My fault, fail.

Still loving the renovations, looks fantastic, can’t wait for home opener.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

010HogFan

Quote from: FraggleHog on January 22, 2018, 10:55:34 pm
Night pics actually offer nice contrast since the interior is lit up

That's awesome. Wonder if it will be lit up at all for night games?

ricepig

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 24, 2018, 08:46:24 am
That's awesome. Wonder if it will be lit up at all for night games?

Well, I hope they have the lights on, if not, there'll be some people running into the food tables.

You do there will be seating in front of all of those lights?

RazorbacksFan

Did anyone else think the south LED screen looked terrible last year? The aspect ratio was correct on the north screen, but was stretched wide on the south screen: everything appeared shorter and wider than reality. Will this be corrected?

razCzar

Quote from: RazorbacksFan on January 25, 2018, 07:42:36 pm
Did anyone else think the south LED screen looked terrible last year? The aspect ratio was correct on the north screen, but was stretched wide on the south screen: everything appeared shorter and wider than reality. Will this be corrected?
Definitely did and hated it.  Didn't surprise me at all though.  Based upon what I've seen on other teams' wide screens, Arkansas' version seems a little amateurish. 

Hopefully they'll get it together.

clew

Maybe it has something to do with being from central/south arkansas. Those of you lucky enough to live in NWA don't appreciate the view as much as some of us poor delta hicks. I have about 10-15 photos of the stadium through the gap from the 90s to early 2000s when it went through the first renovation. Also have some pics of bud Walton arena from the 9th floor of Yokum when it was just a hole in the ground. Maybe some blurry pictures of Humphries at night too, but no one would want to see those.
Pure as the dawn

LZH

+1

Mike_e

Or we could just call it section ADD and everyone would understand and be done with it.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

My son and I stop right in that corner and peek in every year when we drive through that way. It's a family tradition for sure. I guess that they have noticed over the years how many people stop to see inside.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

riccoar

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Bash on January 19, 2018, 11:05:38 am
That might fly with the hippies in Colorado, but not here.

Hey do us HIPPIES here in Colorado a favor...take 70 to Goodland and spin yourself back around with your condescending high morality and roll on back to whatever 50's lifestyle you strive to live in...We Colorado HIPPIES certainly will not miss you or your attitude.

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Bash on January 19, 2018, 12:59:31 pm
Oh, what a relief.  I was just about to start a "Save the Yellow Cranes!" campaign.

They are not an endangered species.......................

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: tusksincolorado on January 26, 2018, 05:49:13 pm
Hey do us HIPPIES here in Colorado a favor...take 70 to Goodland and spin yourself back around with your condescending high morality and roll on back to whatever 50's lifestyle you strive to live in...We Colorado HIPPIES certainly will not miss you or your attitude.

Wow... Pot meet kettle. pun fully intended. ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Wooderson

Does anyone know what the long term plan is for DWRRS?  At what point does the 70 year + concrete and steel become a hazard and when have to build from scratch?  Just curious if there are plans for a complete rebuild in 50 years or so?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

ImHogginIt

January 30, 2018, 08:17:37 am #1398 Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:54:47 am by ImHogginIt
Quote from: Wooderson on January 30, 2018, 07:55:08 am
Does anyone know what the long term plan is for DWRRS?  At what point does the 70 year + concrete and steel become a hazard and when have to build from scratch?  Just curious if there are plans for a complete rebuild in 50 years or so?

We'll let our great great grandchildren worry about that  :D

AirWarren

Quote from: tusksincolorado on January 26, 2018, 05:49:13 pm

You're so brave.

What an awful thing to have.....morality.