Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uhhhh...Macon tweet

Started by batmanfan, April 14, 2017, 08:17:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 08:16:39 am
Overseas players can make good money and have a great career.  If a player knows that the NBA is not in the picture, then Europe is a good alternative.  Many players from the US go and have great careers, great lives and make great money.  More money than struggling in the D League.

They can also make crappy money and have horrible careers.

The Hogfather

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 08:16:39 am
Overseas players can make good money and have a great career.  If a player knows that the NBA is not in the picture, then Europe is a good alternative.  Many players from the US go and have great careers, great lives and make great money.  More money than struggling in the D League.

Everyone assumes you just go straight to the high paying, guaranteed paycheck leagues over in some stable European country (side note---Europe has been becoming increasingly less stable).  Then, you see a video about Marshall Henderson playing in [CENSORED] IRAQ for peanuts.  It would not be smart for Macon and/or Barford to leave before their Senior year.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 04, 2017, 08:43:36 am

Mizzouman would love to see him go. Gives Missouri a better chance at getting a leg up on us.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 08:55:25 am
Everyone assumes you just go straight to the high paying, guaranteed paycheck leagues over in some stable European country (side note---Europe has been becoming increasingly less stable).  Then, you see a video about Marshall Henderson playing in [CENSORED] IRAQ for peanuts.  It would not be smart for Macon and/or Barford to leave before their Senior year.

Or BJ Young posting on Instagram playing in Hong Kong.

jry04

Quote from: colbs on May 03, 2017, 10:48:46 pm
Was he at the Hogspys tonight?
He was not, but not all players were. I do not Macon is still practicing with the team and going to class, which is a good sign.

Barford said at the Hogspys last night with a big grin that he knows everyone is anxious to hear what he is going to do, and he will have an announcement real soon. He said he is just enjoying the process and learning everything he can. I am not worried about him leaving, though.

mizzouman

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 08:55:25 am
No one on this board knows their situation.

What I'm referring to is that if these two, again I don't know the situation, have no intentions on graduating in the near future and need some money, then Europe IS a good option.  They will get paid a lot more than any new college graduate would be getting paid.  Last figures I saw was that the bottom rung player would get about $70k per year.  But depending on where they would end up, could be over $100k.  Now, depending on their situation, that might be hard to pass up.

In general, yes, I would agree that kids should stay and get their degrees.  But, I'm not in their shoes.

mizzouman

Quote from: azhog10 on May 04, 2017, 08:23:23 am
Define good money. The average player salary overseas is not better than the D League salary.
Much better.  D League gets nothing.  Maybe $30k or so.  Euro players, depending on the league, start between $70-$100k.  At least that's what some Mizzou players tell that are over there now.

mizzouman

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 04, 2017, 08:43:36 am
Players who stay can encounter the same.  There's no guarantees in life.  You take what you can when you can.  Of course, depends on the individual situation.

mizzouman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 04, 2017, 09:00:08 am
Mizzouman would love to see him go. Gives Missouri a better chance at getting a leg up on us.
Just the opposite.  Would love to see players stay.  But again, I'm not in their shoes.  Just spelling out the fact that players have options.  They need to make the best decision for them.

The Hogfather

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 10:12:22 am

I don't need to know his situation.  I don't care if he has 4 kids he needs to feed.  He should stay and sacrifice for one more year for the chance to possibly get drafted and, at the very least, increase his value to an overseas team.  Use the grants, take a loan, whatever it takes.  Just don't quit now.  Would not be smart.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 10:16:39 am
Just the opposite.  Would love to see players stay.  But again, I'm not in their shoes.  Just spelling out the fact that players have options.  They need to make the best decision for them.

Four consecutive posts. Is this the digital equivalent of a cluster bomb or a drive-by maybe? Not sure how to retaliate, I would go to the Mizzou board but there's no one there.

mizzouman

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 10:17:58 am
I don't need to know his situation.  I don't care if he has 4 kids he needs to feed.  He should stay and sacrifice for one more year for the chance to possibly get drafted and, at the very least, increase his value to an overseas team.  Use the grants, take a loan, whatever it takes.  Just don't quit now.  Would not be smart.
Good thing you're not living their lives for them.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 10:17:58 am

A lot of people say this is just selfish fan talk.  But unless he has a very good chance to go the the NBA it is in reality what is best for him in the long run.  If he can just get a degree, any degree he will be better off whenever his playing career is over.  And yes you can always go back, but that is easier said than done.  Many guys that plan to go back never do.  Some only much later in life after realizing they need it for better opportunities. 

If you are going to make high 6 or 7 figures future value says the smart move is to take it now, if you are going to make 5 figures, future value says you will be better off with a degree in hand.  Nothing is guaranteed.  A degree does not guarantee a better long term QOL but it greatly increases your chances.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The Hogfather

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 10:12:22 am

What I'm referring to is that if these two, again I don't know the situation, have no intentions on graduating in the near future and need some money, then Europe IS a good option.  They will get paid a lot more than any new college graduate would be getting paid.  Last figures I saw was that the bottom rung player would get about $70k per year.  But depending on where they would end up, could be over $100k.  Now, depending on their situation, that might be hard to pass up.

In general, yes, I would agree that kids should stay and get their degrees.  But, I'm not in their shoes.

Again, you're assuming that he'll be able to just go straight to a league where the minimum is $70k and he'll get paid every week.  That's just not the case in a lot of situations, as I pointed out with Marshall Henderson.  The MVP got a vacuum cleaner or some shiz as his prize.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on May 04, 2017, 10:27:53 am
A lot of people say this is just selfish fan talk.  But unless he has a very good chance to go the the NBA it is in reality what is best for him in the long run.  If he can just get a degree, any degree he will be better off whenever his playing career is over.  And yes you can always go back, but that is easier said than done.  Many guys that plan to go back never do.  Some only much later in life after realizing they need it for better opportunities. 

If you are going to make high 6 or 7 figures future value says the smart move is to take it now, if you are going to make 5 figures, future value says you will be better off with a degree in hand.  Nothing is guaranteed.  A degree does not guarantee a better long term QOL but it greatly increases your chances.

I honestly am not thinking at all about Arkansas when I say it would be really dumb for Macon to leave before playing his senior year.  I'm talking about it from his perspective.

OF COURSE I want him back to help the team be better.  However, when I am discussing this situation, it has nothing to do with the team.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 10:14:22 am
Much better.  D League gets nothing.  Maybe $30k or so.  Euro players, depending on the league, start between $70-$100k.  At least that's what some Mizzou players tell that are over there now.

We are assuming that they make a high level Euro league roster. I follow former Razorbacks that are playing overseas and there are not many playing in the high level Euro league.

Sonny Weems was playing for Maccabi Tel Aviv
Coty Clarke is playing for a team in Russia in the best international league.

There is a opportunity to play overseas but to play at the highest level in Europe is still highly competitive.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 04, 2017, 10:41:43 am
We are assuming that they make a high level Euro league roster. I follow former Razorbacks that are playing overseas and there are not many playing in the high level Euro league.

There is a opportunity to play overseas but to play at the highest level in Europe is still highly competitive.

I think Macon can play at that level. If Macon thinks the same, he's probably gone.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 10:37:47 am

I honestly am not thinking at all about Arkansas when I say it would be really dumb for Macon to leave before playing his senior year.  I'm talking about it from his perspective.

So you are saying he is dumb to be looking at leaving. Nice, real nice.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

mizzouman

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 10:34:30 am
Again, you're assuming that he'll be able to just go straight to a league where the minimum is $70k and he'll get paid every week.  That's just not the case in a lot of situations, as I pointed out with Marshall Henderson.  The MVP got a vacuum cleaner or some shiz as his prize.
Again, I don't know the situation.  But you're also assuming that he would get drafted or improve his euro situation. 

Nothing is guaranteed.  They need to take all this into consideration and decide for themselves.  Everyone has a different situation.

mizzouman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 04, 2017, 10:41:43 am

Again, depends on the player.  But, if they cannot secure something overseas, then they should come back.  But, I would have to think that they would all their ducks in a row before they make a decision.

PonderinHog

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 11:02:13 am
Again, I don't know the situation.  But you're also assuming that he would get drafted or improve his euro situation. 

Nothing is guaranteed.  They need to take all this into consideration and decide for themselves.  Everyone has a different situation.
Stop trying to undermine our basketball program, oh you of ulterior motives!   >:(

Hawg Red

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 10:15:21 am
Players who stay can encounter the same.  There's no guarantees in life.  You take what you can when you can.  Of course, depends on the individual situation.

Exactly. But you forfeit the ability to improve your standing for the pro ranks when you leave early. Macon can have a pretty good senior year. That's a big deal and you don't get that back when you leave. He still has another chance to get drafted by the NBA. Isaiah Cousins, Abdel Nader, Joel Bolomboy, Michael Gbinije, Anthony Brown, Josh Richardson, and Cady Lalanne are examples of players that many would have not considered possible draft picks that were selected after their senior seasons. Macon is not being presented with an opportunity that won't be there if he comes back for his senior season. You aren't really trying to insinuate that, are you? Surely not.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2017, 10:54:45 am

I know you're just like to stir pots, but I'm going to answer anyway.  I'm saying it would be a dumb decision to leave.  Smart people make dumb decisions from time-to-time.  This one would just likely have a negative effect on his life for possibly years to come, if not for the rest of his life.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 11:18:59 am
I know you're just like to stir pots, but I'm going to answer anyway.  I'm saying it would be a dumb decision to leave.  Smart people make dumb decisions from time-to-time.  This one would just likely have a negative effect on his life for possibly years to come, if not for the rest of his life.

This is the issue I have had this entire thread, YOU THINK it would be a dumb decision to leave, but there is no proof that will be the reality of it. I don't think it would be dumb, IF his goal is to play pro ball somewhere and he thinks going now is better for him than playing another year of college ball.

From a pro standpoint he is always going to be a bit of a tweener, not a true PG, not quite big enough to be a 2. Staying in school another year is not going to change that. Our system does not use a featured PG, and it is doubtful he grows 2 or 3 inches.  All another year in school, from a bball standpoint,does is have him play 30+ more games plus practice where he could be injured, and where another entire crop of players becomes eligible tog o play pro somewhere.

Now, from a education perspective, assuming he would finish his degree in another school year, yea coming back is probably the better idea. Although as Reid just showed, guys can come back an finish up later.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2017, 11:48:49 am
This is the issue I have had this entire thread, YOU THINK it would be a dumb decision to leave, but there is no proof that will be the reality of it. I don't think it would be dumb, IF his goal is to play pro ball somewhere and he thinks going now is better for him than playing another year of college ball.

From a pro standpoint he is always going to be a bit of a tweener, not a true PG, not quite big enough to be a 2. Staying in school another year is not going to change that. Our system does not use a featured PG, and it is doubtful he grows 2 or 3 inches.  All another year in school, from a bball standpoint,does is have him play 30+ more games plus practice where he could be injured, and where another entire crop of players becomes eligible tog o play pro somewhere.

Now, from a education perspective, assuming he would finish his degree in another school year, yea coming back is probably the better idea. Although as Reid just showed, guys can come back an finish up later.

That's the whole point of message boards, dumbass.  To share information AND OPINIONS.  Of course someone else can have a differing opinion than mine and that's fine.  However, just saying that because a kid makes a decision, it is the best decision for him and his family is ignorant.  Kids at that age make dumb decisions all the time, regardless of how smart they may be.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 11:57:30 am
That's the whole point of message boards, dumbass.  To share information AND OPINIONS.  Of course someone else can have a differing opinion than mine and that's fine.  However, just saying that because a kid makes a decision, it is the best decision for him and his family is ignorant.  Kids at that age make dumb decisions all the time, regardless of how smart they may be.

Ah, yes, name calling.  I am not talking about differing opinions. I am talking people people flat out saying Macon is wrong, or dumb, or making a dumb decision.  I mean I can say it is probably not a good idea for people to spend too much time on message boards, but when I say " Hogfather is dumb for being on Hogville so much " that makes it personal.

azhog10

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 10:14:22 am
LOL, that is for top division players in the top leagues (Spain, Greece, and China). Most guys start at around $2,000-$5,000 a month. Calistus Eziukwu who is a good friend of mine started at around $34-40K and after 4-5 seasons was finally able to crack close to six figures but only for one season. Then he was back down to around $70k. But his first couple years were grinds he told me. Went two weeks without being paid one season and had his agent find him another gig. It's not all roses and while you can eventually make more money, the D-League keeps you in front of the people that really matter as it's easy to get lost in the shuffle overseas. Definitely depends on if he wants to really make it in the NBA or if he is okay with just being paid decent money to play as long as possible.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 04, 2017, 11:08:23 am
Exactly. But you forfeit the ability to improve your standing for the pro ranks when you leave early. Macon can have a pretty good senior year. That's a big deal and you don't get that back when you leave. He still has another chance to get drafted by the NBA. Isaiah Cousins, Abdel Nader, Joel Bolomboy, Michael Gbinije, Anthony Brown, Josh Richardson, and Cady Lalanne are examples of players that many would have not considered possible draft picks that were selected after their senior seasons. Macon is not being presented with an opportunity that won't be there if he comes back for his senior season. You aren't really trying to insinuate that, are you? Surely not.
Wesley Matthews didn't even get drafted, but did a whole lot for himself coming back a fourth year.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2017, 12:19:40 pm
Ah, yes, name calling.  I am not talking about differing opinions. I am talking people people flat out saying Macon is wrong, or dumb, or making a dumb decision.  I mean I can say it is probably not a good idea for people to spend too much time on message boards, but when I say " Hogfather is dumb for being on Hogville so much " that makes it personal.

I don't really care if someone has a different opinion than me.  I think it would be a dumb decision.  He is free to make what I think is a dumb decision.  He is free to believe that it is best for him and his family.

I didn't say he was dumb.  I think it would be a dumb decision.  Could it work out for him?  Sure.  I just think he would be diminishing the chances of a positive outcome by leaving now.

Razor girl

Can anyone give the salaries of former Razorbacks playing overseas ?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Razor girl on May 04, 2017, 12:48:04 pm
Can anyone give the salaries of former Razorbacks playing overseas ?

I'm interested in that as well.  I've looked, but can't find much.  I'm sure a guy like Weems is making a pretty penny, since he actually got drafted and played in the NBA some.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 01:01:03 pm
I'm interested in that as well.  I've looked, but can't find much.  I'm sure a guy like Weems is making a pretty penny, since he actually got drafted and played in the NBA some.

Found this on Weems (from back in December of 2014):

QuoteCurious as to what a "great offer" means? Well, according to sources, Weems inked a long-term $10 million agreement with CSKA, cementing himself as the highest-paid player overseas.

That was after he had been drafted, averaged a good amount in the NBDL, and played in 140 NBA games over 3 seasons.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 04, 2017, 01:01:03 pm

I feel like I heard/read weems was going to make more overseas than in the NBA so he stayed returned there.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 04, 2017, 03:20:24 pm
I feel like I heard/read weems was going to make more overseas than in the NBA so he stayed returned there.

Sonny Weems signed with the NBA the Suns for two seasons in 2015. He was waived in 2016 and played with the 76ers before being waived. He eventually signed with Maccabi Tel Aviv but was also waived after he failed to complete an anti-doping test.

whoopigLakeCity

Heard they paid enough for Qualls to go back so who knows.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: whoopigLakeCity on May 04, 2017, 03:56:32 pm
Heard they paid enough for Qualls to go back so who knows.

Go back from where?

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2017, 10:54:45 am
I would say that decision would be dumb.  Smart people can make dumb decisions, ya know...  My teenagers make dumb decisions and it is part of growing.  Does not make their choices any less dumb.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

factchecker

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 04:52:14 pm
So tell me, what type of degree is going to pay a kid straight out of college, let's say, 50k?

A first year teacher makes $44,708 at Bentonville School District.  You add a couple of coaching stipends ($2,500 for assistant football and $2,500 for assistant basketball) and you will be close to that 50k mark.

If you have your masters you start off at $47,843.

http://bentonvillek12.org/edline_resource/departments/human_resources/salary/1617LicensedSalarySchedule.pdf

http://bentonvillek12.org/edline_resource/departments/human_resources/stipend/1617athleticstipends.pdf
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

passinghog

He'd be making a big mistake if he left early. Nothing wrong with believing in yourself as an entrepreneur, etc., but with the Nba or elite European leagues, they have to believe in him. The game tape doesn't lie. It is what it is. You are what the film says you are.

hogginbama

So tell me, what type of degree is going to pay a kid straight out of college, let's say, 50k?  My son has a pre med degree, and currently in med school, he's not working because I want him to focus solely on med school, but he wouldn't make 50k if he got a job somewhere tomorrow.  Let's say a law degree, 50k right out of college?  Not unless they are the #1 grad coming out and is sought by a prominent law firm.  Let's say accounting; not going to make 50k coming out of college.  Business?  Don't make me laugh.  Sports Medicine? No... Criminal Justice?  Most definitely not.  Get my point?  If the young man THINK, and I emphasis THINK, he can go to Europe and make 50k tax free, I'd be careful with stating "that's not smart."  What if he did come back and blow out a knee?  Would that be smart?  I don't think these young men go into this decision as blindly as we think.  No way he would NOT come back if he didn't have some indication from the BB community he can make a team in Europe because he and all of us know he won't sniff the NBA.  Just hasn't shown that skill set yet.  But I don't blame the young man for striking while the iron is hot.  He can get a degree anywhere, anytime, that's not going to yield what he could make overseas playing BB.   I'd take the shot if I had the opportunity.  If he doesn't make it, not the end of the world or his life.  He can get the 9-12 hours he has left and take the paltry salary college grads are receiving these days, that is, if he can find work in his grad field.  Not guaranteed, check out Fox Business and then tell me the sunny story of coming back, risking injury, and getting that degree.

Son has a business degree in finance, making that magical $50K a year here in Indianapolis. Up for a $7,500 raise when he hits his 1 year anniversary in June.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

jry04

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 05:30:03 pm
Education!  Facts are facts!  That is a profession on the rise again.  I didn't include RNs, Radiologist, mechanics, HVAC...  opportunities are there but the point is, if he can make 50k on the Euro circuit doing what he loves, seeing lands he could only dream of seeing, why not!  If he don't like it or fail, he can come back and coach in NW AR somewhere.  I don't think he will be in the NBA in the foreseeable future but I do think he will make a low tier Euro team and work his way up to better opportunities.  So it is not as cut and dried a dumb decision as some think.

Another thing to be considered is you typically have a car and apartment paid for. They aren't the most luxurious, but you are making 40-50k/yr without a car payment or rent.

mizzouman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 04, 2017, 10:21:33 am
Four consecutive posts. Is this the digital equivalent of a cluster bomb or a drive-by maybe? Not sure how to retaliate, I would go to the Mizzou board but there's no one there.
No need to retaliate.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 04:28:44 pm
I could have sworn Derozen went something like 2/15 the other night.  Shooters have bad games.  The NBA is big into analytics now and usage rate is a biggie and for the minutes Macon played, his and Dusty's was pretty high.  One more year isn't going to get him drafted unless he goes off in a way we haven't seen in a long time at UA.  Staying isn't going to help him one bit.  It will help the Hogs but not his ability to play at the next level including overseas.

So much wrong with this and your next two post.  As a recent business graduate and knowing what I made straight out and what some law friends make and will make I can tell you you're way off base there.

However, I'll just say this: Derozan isn't a shooter.  He's got a good mid range game but hardly even attempts any threes.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 07:45:53 pm
No need to retaliate.

Is mizzou gonna have a top 5 recruiting class or not? They don't look like a threat as we speak.

azhog10

So tell me, what type of degree is going to pay a kid straight out of college, let's say, 50k?  My son has a pre med degree, and currently in med school, he's not working because I want him to focus solely on med school, but he wouldn't make 50k if he got a job somewhere tomorrow.  Let's say a law degree, 50k right out of college?  Not unless they are the #1 grad coming out and is sought by a prominent law firm.  Let's say accounting; not going to make 50k coming out of college.  Business?  Don't make me laugh.  Sports Medicine? No... Criminal Justice?  Most definitely not.  Get my point?  If the young man THINK, and I emphasis THINK, he can go to Europe and make 50k tax free, I'd be careful with stating "that's not smart."  What if he did come back and blow out a knee?  Would that be smart?  I don't think these young men go into this decision as blindly as we think.  No way he would NOT come back if he didn't have some indication from the BB community he can make a team in Europe because he and all of us know he won't sniff the NBA.  Just hasn't shown that skill set yet.  But I don't blame the young man for striking while the iron is hot.  He can get a degree anywhere, anytime, that's not going to yield what he could make overseas playing BB.   I'd take the shot if I had the opportunity.  If he doesn't make it, not the end of the world or his life.  He can get the 9-12 hours he has left and take the paltry salary college grads are receiving these days, that is, if he can find work in his grad field.  Not guaranteed, check out Fox Business and then tell me the sunny story of coming back, risking injury, and getting that degree.
Im an engineer. Started at $60k with a $10k sign on bonus almost seven years ago. Today they are hiring engineers at $75k with the same sign on bonus. He won't make $60k tax free overseas. Guards are a dime a dozen, and he will be lucky to clear $30k in a season his first year.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 05:10:28 pm
I posted a response to "dumb" decisions one but I have to do it again.  These young men have more insight to the BB community than any of us.  How do we know he doesn't have a network of informed people who may have told him there's a possibility he will make a team in Europe paying let's say 40 or 50k tax free?  Why would he come back?  Risk injury and the income and dream is dead...  oh yeah, that coveted degree he can get no matter where he is in the world online of which will NOT produce 40 or 50k fresh out of school..  what degree is gonna produce that kind of immediate income for a new grad?  I don't think he think he has a chance of playing in the NBA immediately but I do think he think he can go overseas and make more money while improving his skill set than a new college grad.  And there sir, I'd say it's a very smart decision.  Look, he's not going to improve his draft stock or his earning potential by staying at UA another year.  He can improve his earning potential by spending that year working through the Euro leagues.  If his choice is get paid now more than my degree will yield while working to advance, I don't think that's dumb at all.  I think it's economically smart.  What's the worse than can happen?  Don't make a Euro team, finish his degree and end up like millions of new grads working jobs outside their field of study making a paltry salary working 8-12 hours a day focused on learning and getting promotions to make a better salary?  He's not getting drafted, he knows it, he can play in a Euro league now and make tax free money while improving his skills and move up in the circuit NOW.  How is that a dumb decision?
Man you are making a lot of assumptions here, the first and most significant, that these kids have any real insight to the NBA/European league just because they play college ball.  European leagues do not just take anyone that applies and the pay and consistency is not as grand as you make it out to be.  I have no real ties to their leagues, but I do have ties to Google and I know how to use it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

May 05, 2017, 06:22:34 am #447 Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:33:28 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 05:30:03 pm
Education!  Facts are facts!  That is a profession on the rise again.  I didn't include RNs, Radiologist, mechanics, HVAC...  opportunities are there but the point is, if he can make 50k on the Euro circuit doing what he loves, seeing lands he could only dream of seeing, why not!  If he don't like it or fail, he can come back and coach in NW AR somewhere.  I don't think he will be in the NBA in the foreseeable future but I do think he will make a low tier Euro team and work his way up to better opportunities.  So it is not as cut and dried a dumb decision as some think.

Have you lived overseas for a long period of time?  I would assume with your screen name you had, unless you were NG.  I have and while this $50k number you throw out there is great, the cost of living and the fact that you are so far from home and everything that you love and the language barrier are significant.  Are we talking $50k US and then converting that to live off of the local market?  All of these little things add up.

Gas prices overseas: 
https://www.statista.com/statistics/221368/gas-prices-around-the-world/

US ~$2-3 a gallon and in Europe $6+ a gallon

Exchange rate:
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

$1.00 US = $0.91 Euro
Just to start off, 50k US equals ~45k Euro

Utilities:
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=18851

What you see might not be what you get when it comes to pay:
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2011/10/19/playing-in-europe/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/03/17/why-these-pro-players-are-willing-to-play-basketball-in-iraq-for-20k-a-month/?utm_term=.08ab0f4e3bcf

They might not pay US taxes, but they still might get hit with huge European taxes:
http://www.hesslawgroup.com/services/overseas/general-discussion/
http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?page=euroamfactfiction

jjdlc

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 05, 2017, 06:22:34 am
Have you lived overseas for a long period of time?  I would assume with your screen name you had, unless you were NG.  I have and while this $50k number you throw out there is great, the cost of living and the fact that you are so far from home and everything that you love and the language barrier are significant.  Are we talking $50k US and then converting that to live off of the local market?  All of these little things add up.

Gas prices overseas: 
https://www.statista.com/statistics/221368/gas-prices-around-the-world/

US ~$2-3 a gallon and in Europe $6+ a gallon

Exchange rate:
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

$1.00 US = $0.91 Euro
Just to start off, 50k US equals ~45k Euro

Utilities:
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=18851

What you see might not be what you get when it comes to pay:
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2011/10/19/playing-in-europe/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/03/17/why-these-pro-players-are-willing-to-play-basketball-in-iraq-for-20k-a-month/?utm_term=.08ab0f4e3bcf

They might not pay US taxes, but they still might get hit with huge European taxes:
http://www.hesslawgroup.com/services/overseas/general-discussion/
http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?page=euroamfactfiction

This, the stuff that the pro overseas crowd willfully ignores.  ColonelHog seems determined to undersell starting salaries in the US as well.  Sure, there are a lot of jobs with lower starting salaries, but there are a lot with really decent salaries as well.  There is a lot of opportunity in the state of Arkansas, and a kid that played for the Hogs would have an inside track at many of those opportunities.

Pork Twain

Quote from: jjdlc on May 05, 2017, 07:25:07 am
This, the stuff that the pro overseas crowd willfully ignores.  ColonelHog seems determined to undersell starting salaries in the US as well.  Sure, there are a lot of jobs with lower starting salaries, but there are a lot with really decent salaries as well.  There is a lot of opportunity in the state of Arkansas, and a kid that played for the Hogs would have an inside track at many of those opportunities.
Having lived overseas for 8+ years, I can tell you that it is not as rosy as is being described here and the cost of everything over there makes living in the US seem like we are all rich