Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could the "Option" Offense work at Arkansas?

Started by JackTNHogfan, September 04, 2017, 09:48:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boar War

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2017, 10:42:46 pm
I don't know how successful it'd be in the SEC, but it sure is fun to watch.

At arms length.  You're right.  It's fun to watch but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

ThisTeetsTaken

Whatever Enos wants to run is fine with me.   He's the main ingredient right now in what success we are having.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

DeltaBoy

Missing those 2 field goals is what beat GT!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

arkbuck

If you run the triple option correctly, you can't defend it. Problem is that it is extremely hard to run right, and you have to have the right players.

elviscat

We won more games running the bone than any other offensive. Hatfield years were some of the best but the fans complaint to Broyles and told KH to get rid of some coaches and throw the ball.

SoCal Hog

I was an option QB in the wishbone back in the day, and I ran the wishbone when I coached HS football back in the 1980s. Here is what I loved and hated about the option.

I loved the clock control aspect of it. It was a ball control offense. If you had a good O-line and could control the line of scrimmage the other team had a very reduced time of possession and a harder time scoring. If you had any kind of defense at all, the other team was forced to take chances on offense and that quite often led to turnovers.

What I hated about it was getting behind, especially by multiple scores. It is an offense that makes it hard to come from behind. The lack of a good passing game really limits what can be done.
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

Razorbackers

Quote from: JackTNHogfan on September 04, 2017, 09:48:24 pm
Not a debate about CBB being fired and Georgia Tech coach coming to Arkansas kind of question.  Just simply put...could the offense work at Arkansas?  Could it work better in terms of overall wins than what the team is getting now?  Do we have the recruits?  Would it work in the big bad SEC West?  Would the fans support it?  What say you?

This board has been screaming about going back to a spread like when the last coach was here. I'd almost want Jeff Long to hire a coach to run the triple option here just to see the meltdown haha.

Almost.

Not really though. It only kinda works for GT, who should be a better team year in and year out since they're in the largest southern metro area, have a great school, and are so close to so many recruiting hot spots. But they don't have a place for a lot of the players near them because they haven't run the option in HS.

Atlhogfan1

Defense is the problem and will be the problem for Arkansas unless our recruiting base has some miraculous change. 

The option as GT runs it is difficult for defenses because of its uniqueness.  It gives them a chance to be competitive even with more restrictive recruiting.  I wouldn't want to see it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgfan4life

The mantra for using spread is that it gives less athletic players a chance to be successful.  TN and GA both have far more talented rosters than GA Tech.  Yet, GA Tech beat GA and was a play away from beating TN with their offense.  They have less talent top to bottom than TN.  The academies, when they have better teams are light years less in talent than the P5 schools yet they seem to give them fits and they upset several along the way.  The fact is that true triple option football gives lesser talent a better chance when it is run correctly.  Paul Johnson runs it correctly.  TN should have been able to run away with that game if you go by stars as should most teams GA Tech plays.  If any team were to recruit top 25 talent every year, fully commit to this offense, and run it to the efficiency that GA Tech does, they would be a force in D1.  The catch is most elite players do not want to play in this type of offense and fans will not appreciate it when the team is struggling.  I would venture to say that Paul Johnson is as good a "Coach" as any in D1 football today.  We mistakenly rank coaches on wins and championships.  The true measure of a coach is to get a player to buy-in to what you are asking him to do, him operate that scheme to near perfection, and to be successful against teams you should be successful, win most of the toss up games, and be competitive and win games you shouldn't.  GA Tech optimizes this in college ball today.

GunnerHawg70

September 05, 2017, 01:21:35 pm #59 Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:41:34 pm by GunnerHawg70
Very few teams execute the Option / Flex / Wishbone offense these days.  Navy, Ga.Tech runs the triple-option veer formation....though it is still a far cry from the wishbone, it does have its similarities.

Nebraska, Oklahoma and Hogs ran the offense years ago and I can't really see it working against SEC defenses because of the speed and strength of current defenders compared to years ago and other smaller conferences. 

ballz2thewall

Quote from: SoCal Hog on September 05, 2017, 09:11:59 am
I was an option QB in the wishbone back in the day, and I ran the wishbone when I coached HS football back in the 1980s. Here is what I loved and hated about the option.

I loved the clock control aspect of it. It was a ball control offense. If you had a good O-line and could control the line of scrimmage the other team had a very reduced time of possession and a harder time scoring. If you had any kind of defense at all, the other team was forced to take chances on offense and that quite often led to turnovers.

What I hated about it was getting behind, especially by multiple scores. It is an offense that makes it hard to come from behind. The lack of a good passing game really limits what can be done.

perfect nutshell.
The rest of the frog.

Michaelt

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 05, 2017, 05:13:52 am
Seems like the only reason a particular offensive style must rely on a "stout defense" is that that offense doesn't score lots of points. If I follow that logic.

Anyway, I vote with the "Yes it would work some, but not win championships."

The reason that the option must have a good defense is that it relies on clock management. Limiting the offensive possessions of the other team. But yeah, that pretty much hurts every offense, and its not like we are winning championships any way.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: elviscat on September 05, 2017, 09:11:06 am
We won more games running the bone than any other offensive. Hatfield years were some of the best but the fans complaint to Broyles and told KH to get rid of some coaches and throw the ball.

Hatfield benefitted by the whole SW conference being on probation. Inflated w/l % due to awful competition and easy schedules.

I don't think he ever won an ooc game against a big time out of conference opponent with several of those losses being full blown embarrassments.

Hawgphat

Could the "Option Offense" work for Arkansas?

Well, - - - - - - - - what are our other options?

:-\

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 04, 2017, 10:48:06 pm
Yes it could and we wouldn't need some type of generational quarterback to be effective. The main issue would be building and keeping a stout defense. That is a must for a option based team.
lol
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pudgepork

Hog fans have already experienced the flexbone offense.   It worked well against weaker teams but not so well against talented teams.  Jimmy Johnson taught everybody how to stop it.  He took the best players and put them on defense and totally shut down the sooners. The sooners at the time had the players best suited for that offense and the sooners switched from the wishbone because it wasn't effective against talented defenses

Hatfield thought Kordell Stewart would be perfect for his flexbone.  Stewart wouldn't come to arkansas to run the option and went to Colorado. 

The modern day best athletes wodon't come to.a school to run that offense. I've also seen it said that practice time limits don't give enough time to really get the timing right.   It takes a truly special qb to
handle the reads, pitches and the hits every play whether he has the ball or not.

GT ran the ball 55 straight plays last night.  They happened to br ahead in that game.  As a Hog fan, it wasnt much fun to experience them running the ball every down, and burning clock while behind 14 pts.  I remember games where not 1 pass was thrown in the 2nd half.   The problem. With that offense is if things aren't working, you can't switch to a different style attack during the game because you've used all your practice time perfecting the wishbone timing

You are dreaminG if you think DMac, FJones, MJones, Hillis would have come to Arkansas to run the bone

elksnort

The 1989 Arkansas offense had one that could also pass and they were rather prolific if I remember correctly. Couple the 89 offense with the 88 defense and you're looking at a potential national championship. But like most schools, Arkansas rarely if ever puts it all together in one year

elksnort

elksnort

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 05, 2017, 03:14:37 am
If it worked Saban would already be doing it.

That's the thing that makes him such a great coach. He isn't married to a particular system and is constantly looking for ways to stay ahead of the field.

Take it a step further. Why isn't it used in the NFL? Longer season for one but the other reason is the speed on defense. The SEC is loaded with athletes on both sides of the ball.

It would be a great offense for any program that considers 8 wins a great season.
the NFL is a different game it is getting more and more or less watchable

ShadowHawg

Quote from: elksnort on September 05, 2017, 10:28:27 pm
the NFL is a different game it is getting more and more or less watchable

The NFL has the most talented football players in the world. They also have unlimited practice time. If the option running attack were as prolific as some in this thread believe, they would do it at least some of the time.

Agree that the NFL is boring these days though.