Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelley's backup next year....

Started by hassettsportsman, November 22, 2017, 08:49:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

ipigsooie

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 22, 2017, 11:44:00 am
Rafe Peavey was an Elite 11 QB.  Could Dan Enos just not develop him?

"Elite Camps" are about money. 

Sean White was a very poor fit for Malzahn's offense.  I wondered when he signed White what he was thinking.

Gerry Bohannon is tailor made for Malzahn and will probably start next year if they both wind up in Fayetteville:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/6798230/gerry-bohanon

Bohannon looks like a dangerous runner but needs a lot of work with footwork and mechanics.  He looks to have the arm-strength, though. Malzahn's run-pass ratio this year is 70/30.  Norvell's is 47/53.  Riley Ferguson is more Jarret Stidham than Nick Marshall.  Bohannon is a good fit for either, but he is a more immediate fit for Malzahn.

P.S. - Bohannon was an Elite 11 QB also.

I think Rafe was just a miss. He can't seem to find the field at SMU and they basically run a Gus offense.

SPAL

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 22, 2017, 09:41:29 am
We get gus we may not get Bohannon.  We get Norvell we get Bohannon. I have a feeling if we get Gus Gerry bohannon will be an lsu tiger next year.

I'm not sure what you base this on. He is the prototype for a Gus Malzahn QB. What am I missing? He would thrive in it.

colbs

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 22, 2017, 10:21:10 am
I've been trying to understand this line of Hogville thinking.

First, the notion that coaches "develop" QB's is overblown.  Coaches recruit QBs like every other player.  If they aren't great by the time they walk on campus they aren't likely to become great once they get there. 

Second, everyone seems to think that QBs all "develop" the same way, as if developing a QB means teaching them to step up in the pocket and go through progressions.  QBs are generally naturally suited for one type of offense or another.  That's why recruiting services break down QBs into "pro-style" and "dual threat".

If a QB is successful, a significant number of Hogville posters will claim the coach deserves the credit.  If he is unsuccessful, a significant number of Hogville posters will blame the coach.  That's just not the way it works in most cases.   
There has to be something to it.  Look at the QBs Dan Mullen has coached-Alex Smith, Tebow, Dak, and now Fitzgerald. 

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 22, 2017, 09:41:29 am
We get gus we may not get Bohannon.  We get Norvell we get Bohannon. I have a feeling if we get Gus Gerry bohannon will be an lsu tiger next year.
Based on absolutely nothing other than you don't like Gus lol.

They come in droves this time of year.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 22, 2017, 12:30:11 pm
I'm not sure what you base this on. He is the prototype for a Gus Malzahn QB. What am I missing? He would thrive in it.
He has no inside knowledge. AU is recruiting Bohanon as well making his post not just stupid but EXTRA st00pid.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 22, 2017, 09:32:17 am
My opinion.  If Gus ends up at Arkansas, with 6 months to find a dual threat QB, my guess is Cole has probably started his last game at QB.  Cole is way too heavy and "slow footed" to be an effective D/T QB in Gus' style offense.

To be fair, if Cole has the time and space to get the big body up to speed, he can take it down-hill.  He did it a few times this year.
I am not a huge Gus fan, but I do remember him doing fairly well with Mitch Mustain who was not a running QB either.

EFBAB

isavedjazz

Okay, I'll admit I was a bit curt. But requesting "I Ran" from a serious musician, it's just, it's too far.

Athog

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 22, 2017, 08:49:33 am
If Ty is transferring, who will be CK's understudy next year?

Cole may be the back up depending who comes in and who is coach!!

Athog

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on November 22, 2017, 04:20:20 pm
I am not a huge Gus fan, but I do remember him doing fairly well with Mitch Mustain who was not a running QB either.

EFBAB

Gus may like the QB from Earle!

hawginbigd1

Piggie

CK will be backup to whoever Gus brings in from the JC ranks for next year. ;)
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

247Hog

Quote from: MAGA45 on November 22, 2017, 10:19:01 am
I can see Cole heading to LA-Lafayette, LA Monroe or LA Tech in the offseason.  I don't see him starting another game as Hog QB. Just an opinion, don't see him as a high level D-1 QB.  The arm talent just isn't there like we were told and his steamboat package has just about puttered out.

He's a true freshman. Yup, CK started versus Alabama and Auburn and should have thrown for 500 yards each half. He didn't so he has no talent besides the Ol' Stemboat. <------ Sarcasm.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Pancetta

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 22, 2017, 09:59:41 am
I wouldn't want to be under Cole Kelly.  That guy's really big.
I don't think he has a problem finding someone to volunteer. 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 22, 2017, 09:49:56 am
Cole needs to lose down to about 220.

This.  Maybe 230-240 if he adds muscle. 

LJHOG

He should get plenty of playing time.  With this swiss cheese O line Kelley should be pretty banged up by the second quarter of game 2.

HornetHog

This will depend on what coach we get. If its Gus, it'll be a shorter tough very fast running QB and maybe a taller yet very mobile prostyle kid.

There's a JUCO kid that looks very good. Butler JUCO - Steven Frank - 6'4 225lb Scholarship kid at FAU and left FAU after two-a-days from all the Lane Kiffin circus show of bringing in the FL State QB that punched a girl in a bar and then they brought in the freshman QB that was kicked off Oklahoma sooners last july. Based on when he left, there weren't too many scholarships floating around. So he went to Butler JUCO to stay active which offered him full scholarship in late Aug.  My sources indicate Wisconsin, Wyoming and Ball State look like they'll be offering this Spring. He'll have three years of eligibility starting this coming fall.  They need to at least give this kid a look. He's going to end up somewhere playing.
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

IronHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 22, 2017, 10:21:10 am
I've been trying to understand this line of Hogville thinking.

First, the notion that coaches "develop" QB's is overblown.  Coaches recruit QBs like every other player.  If they aren't great by the time they walk on campus they aren't likely to become great once they get there. 

Second, everyone seems to think that QBs all "develop" the same way, as if developing a QB means teaching them to step up in the pocket and go through progressions.  QBs are generally naturally suited for one type of offense or another.  That's why recruiting services break down QBs into "pro-style" and "dual threat".

If a QB is successful, a significant number of Hogville posters will claim the coach deserves the credit.  If he is unsuccessful, a significant number of Hogville posters will blame the coach.  That's just not the way it works in most cases.   

Uh, no
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

MAGA45

Quote from: 247Hog on November 24, 2017, 11:14:37 am
He's a true freshman. Yup, CK started versus Alabama and Auburn and should have thrown for 500 yards each half. He didn't so he has no talent besides the Ol' Stemboat. <------ Sarcasm.

Uh, no.
Fake News

HogFoo

I don't think Cole will be the starter.. he'll be backup.  And that depends also on who the coach is.  I'm leaning towards it's gonna be Gus.  And as soon as Gus is announced, Gerry BoHannon immediately has Arkansas at the top of his list.  So does a few I the guys like bishop that are heading out of state. 
Noland will fit well in Gus' offense.  That's pretty much what he runs at Greenwood.  So he'll fit in nice.  I figure we'll have a few transfer, couple of decommit and maybe grab a few auburn commits.  Cuz, like I said, Gus wants to come back here and now his door is open to come.  So, watch and see.  But, yeah, Cole Kelley will new a lot of improvement to start next season in a Gus offense. So, don't see it happening.  I'm predicting it'll be Connor Noland or Gerry BoHannon  next season after Gus is announced as coach.  But then again, might be Norvell. I've heard it'll be a "big name" they go after.  And I guess Gus would be big.  Especi8after Gus beats Bama tomorrow, then beats UGA, and gets to the playoffs.  Before bolting to Arkansas.  That will be an epic move by Gus.  Especially if he could win the title, then leaves auburn. Haha I'd have to say that'd be the ultimate middle finger to auburn. Haha
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hawg Life

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 22, 2017, 12:10:44 pm
Lsu may get an instant commitment. It's been said that Norvell will get Bohannon and we don't know if he will come with Gus.  It's pretty well known that he will commit if we hire Norvell.

I feel certain the same can be said for Grant Gunnell.