Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pathetic! Coach is under .500 in SEC!

Started by oldbooniehog, September 20, 2017, 09:16:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbooniehog

It's ridiculous to pay a coach so much who can't even win 50% of his SEC games.

29-35 in the SEC is pathetic! Fans deserve more!

Losing record in the SEC two out of the last four years!

Never made it to the SEC Championship game!

Fire Dan Mullen!

Tarheelhawg

So your point is that Mullen is a bigger loser than Bielema.  So it is okay to accept Bielema's poor record?

Sigepgator702

Mullen has MSU at #1 in the country at one point.  When's the last time that happened to us?

factchecker

Coach Bielema's record is worse.

You want to see an even worse record look to LSU's head coach.

Orgeron is 7-24 vs. the SEC.  4 of those wins came last year with Les Miles' team.

Why didn't LSU get somebody better?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tarheelhawg

It is a little early yet to determine #1 wait till the end of the season.  At this point it is more accurate to judge the coach by his body of work historically.

sowmonella

Quote from: factchecker on September 20, 2017, 09:25:48 pm

Orgeron is 7-24 vs. the SEC.  4 of those wins came last year with Les Miles' team.

Because they were idiots.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: oldbooniehog on September 20, 2017, 09:16:29 pm
It's ridiculous to pay a coach so much who can't even win 50% of his SEC games.

29-35 in the SEC is pathetic! Fans deserve more!

Losing record in the SEC two out of the last four years!

Never made it to the SEC Championship game!

Fire Dan Mullen!

Really dude?

I am going to ask you the same question I asked Steef....Why are you so invested in the man?

When is a proper time frame for you to start expecting results? Year 6? 10 years? 18 years? When can we expect a well coached, disciplined, fundamentally sound football team? Because I heard on day one that was going to be our team...if nothing else, we were gonna be the most sound, fundamental team on the planet....

Year 5 and smoke is still being blown...but from where I stand, coughing and squinting through the smoke...all I see is fire....in the dumpster...

PRJ

BigE_23

oldbooniehog

PRJ, I am not invested in Bielema.

Not one Itty bitty bit. Fire Bielema all you want.

What I am sick and tired of is unrealistic Hog fans thinking they can Fire! Fire! Fire! their way to elite status.

Arkansas simply is a second-tier program. The kind that has only three 11-win seasons in 120 years or so of football.

Any coach that fails to achieve elite status (that is forever just around a corner Arkansas never turns) is run off or fired.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Holtz, Hatfield, Crowe, Kines, Ford, Nutt, etc, etc.

Just tired of the same old angry merry-go-round based on denial of well-established reality.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: oldbooniehog on September 20, 2017, 09:37:31 pm

What I am sick and tired of is unrealistic Hog fans thinking they can Fire! Fire! Fire! their way to elite status.

Arkansas simply is a second-tier program. The kind that has only three 11-win seasons in 120 years or so of football.
You do get that it is really hard to win more than 11 games a year, during those 120 years, playing a 10 game schedule in about 100 of those years...right?

porkrindjimmy

Any coach that fails to achieve rlite status (that''s forever just around a corner Arkansas never turns) is run off or fired.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Just tired of the same old angry merry-go-round based on denial of well-established reality.

Ok...but there are several teams who used to be 2nd tier and 3rd tier teams who have stepped up and became respectable programs...you know that and I know that.

I guess what riles me more than anything is the clownish behavior coupled with a look that is maybe disinterested, maybe inept, maybe just flat out clueless. I cannot stand that confused, disinterested look that goes on with him on that sideline while our wheels come off. Just utter buffoonery...

And maybe we are destined to be second tier...I can't read tarot cards, I can't read palms..but I can say that with the right coach we can every once in awhile spook the living hell out of a top tier team and maybe, just maybe, knock em off from time to time. Lou Holtz for awhile had us believing we could win em all. Kenny did too....Even Nutty could find a haystack every once in awhile and make you believe he found two needles....and Bobby had us playing exciting football and thinking, yeah, this is the year....

Today...not so much. We are demoralized...we are constantly told about GPA's...we are shown new plans for a stadium renovation...asked to dig up a little more coin...we are subjected to soul crushing noise they call music between every play at games, long lines and Pepsi..that is flat. It is like Dollar Tree silverware....Wash it once and look at your new pretty silverware now...

I like nice things, not shiny things but nice things.

PRJ

HamSammich

College of St. Louis sucks too... I'm not sure point here.

RedRazorHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 20, 2017, 09:27:31 pm
Really dude?

I am going to ask you the same question I asked Steef....Why are you so invested in the man?

When is a proper time frame for you to start expecting results? Year 6? 10 years? 18 years? When can we expect a well coached, disciplined, fundamentally sound football team? Because I heard on day one that was going to be our team...if nothing else, we were gonna be the most sound, fundamental team on the planet....

Year 5 and smoke is still being blown...but from where I stand, coughing and squinting through the smoke...all I see is fire....in the dumpster...

PRJ

Good Post - I concur.... When Arkansas State is ranked and Arkansas is unranked is when he will finally say "uh....maybe....er....uh.... we ought to think about making a change"
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

RazorPiggie

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 20, 2017, 10:00:21 pm
Good Post - I concur.... When Arkansas State is ranked and Arkansas is unranked is when he will finally say "uh....maybe....er....uh.... we ought to think about making a change"

I was wasn't aware that ASU was ranked with an 0-1 record.

porkrindjimmy

Jeffie wants it done by the book. As long as he can deflect with new, shiny objects...as long as he can show utter disdain for the nosebleed fans...and people go into diners, coffee shops and the cubicles across this state and they mention the game in passing but Tucker says to Chauncey, man the GPA's on the team are OUTFRICKINGSTANDING....This is what we have....

PRJ

lakecityhog

Boonie, You are pretty much dead wrong. I think that what people want is to be competitive more than anything else. When we play well and get beat by another team it hurts a bit, but you feel like maybe with us catching a break instead of the opponent catching a break that we might have won. That is fine, at least with me.

I don't expect natty's every year, Houston Nutt took us to the SEC Championship game twice. Make any excuses that you want, the fact is he did it. BP had us competing with Bama and LSU when they were winning championships, again a fact.

When your team comes out flat as a pancake in the 2nd game of the season and lays an egg, you have to ask yourself WHY??? Lose to Toledo at home by scoring 10 points? Lose to a Tech team at home that you literally destroyed the year before?? Blow 20 point leads in back-to-back games without scoring a single point in the 2nd half of both games???

Then you start to look at his hiring record lately and you really have to wonder what is going on. Mullen went to Louisville and stole Grantham, Smart came here and stole Pittman, Sumlin went to LSU and took Chavis as well as other SEC teams going and finding the BEST assistants available.

BB hires assistants to assistants and guys with VERY little in the way of credentials. We hire by going through resumes other teams hire by remembering teams with assistants that are well regarded across the board and STEAL them!!! Why does he refuse to try to hire one of the best O'Line coaches in America? Why not at least pick up the phone and call Oklahoma for their O'Line coach? Why not go to Penn State for a Linebacker coach or Florida State for a D'Line coach? Offer them enough money and one of them will bite.

There is a lot more going on than expectations of National Championships!

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 20, 2017, 10:06:05 pm
Boonie, You are pretty much dead wrong. I think that what people want is to be competitive more than anything else. When we play well and get beat by another team it hurts a bit, but you feel like maybe with us catching a break instead of the opponent catching a break that we might have won. That is fine, at least with me.

I don't expect natty's every year, Houston Nutt took us to the SEC Championship game twice. Make any excuses that you want, the fact is he did it. BP had us competing with Bama and LSU when they were winning championships, again a fact.

When your team comes out flat as a pancake in the 2nd game of the season and lays an egg, you have to ask yourself WHY??? Lose to Toledo at home by scoring 10 points? Lose to a Tech team at home that you literally destroyed the year before?? Blow 20 point leads in back-to-back games without scoring a single point in the 2nd half of both games???

Then you start to look at his hiring record lately and you really have to wonder what is going on. Mullen went to Louisville and stole Grantham, Smart came here and stole Pittman, Sumlin went to LSU and took Chavis as well as other SEC teams going and finding the BEST assistants available.

BB hires assistants to assistants and guys with VERY little in the way of credentials. We hire by going through resumes other teams hire by remembering teams with assistants that are well regarded across the board and STEAL them!!! Why does he refuse to try to hire one of the best O'Line coaches in America? Why not at least pick up the phone and call Oklahoma for their O'Line coach? Why not go to Penn State for a Linebacker coach or Florida State for a D'Line coach? Offer them enough money and one of them will bite.

+1...excellent post.

PRJ

RedRazorHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 20, 2017, 10:04:49 pm
I was wasn't aware that ASU was ranked with an 0-1 record.

No - what I am saying that Jeff Long will ride this pony until that happens, which means it could take a while.  Think of this - as a state we want good football.  Many of us are genetically aligned to the UofA, we love our hogs, but if they are constantly going to not "get it done" and move to the (at least) occasional 9 win season, they will lose investment.  Because we want a good football team in our state, that investment may eventually go to ASU, and with the right investment they could possibly lock down a decent coach and challenge.  All because Jeff Long's ego won't let him do what many want.

But like I said, I watched Hog games with my grandparents, my dads, my  Uncles, and now my kids - we love our hogs, we just want better...that's all!

--Knute Rockne

RedRazorHog

+1

--Knute Rockne

hawganatic

Beliema is 1-3 against Mullen.  I don't think calling for Mullen's firing is the best way to make your point.

factchecker

When - in their history of playing FBS football - has jonesboro state been ranked?

They got beat by a god awful Nebraska team who couldn't beat Northern Illinois at home.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 20, 2017, 10:09:17 pm
No - what I am saying that Jeff Long will ride this pony until that happens, which means it could take a while.  Think of this - as a state we want good football.  Many of us are genetically aligned to the UofA, we love our hogs, but if they are constantly going to not "get it done" and move to the (at least) occasional 9 win season, they will lose investment.  Because we want a good football team in our state, that investment may eventually go to ASU, and with the right investment they could possibly lock down a decent coach and challenge.  All because Jeff Long's ego won't let him do what many want.

But like I said, I watched Hog games with my grandparents, my dads, my  Uncles, and now my kids - we love our hogs, we just want better...that's all!

Take your fairweather, t-shirt garbage to jonesboro then. I'm sure they'll appreciate all that donor money you bring.....

They need all the help they can get.  They rely on stolen money via student fees and taxes.

Put your money where your mouth is and go help the red pups.

Fairweather fans are not needed here at the only self sufficient athletic program in state.  THE University of Arkansas doesn't need fickle fans.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RedRazorHog

Quote from: factchecker on September 20, 2017, 10:19:26 pm
When - in their history of playing FBS football - has jonesboro state been ranked?

They got beat by a god awful Nebraska team who couldn't beat Northern Illinois at home.

From Wikipedia and ironically you call yourself THE FACT CHECKER:

They remained in this classification for one year before being promoted to Division I.[3] Arkansas State recorded an undefeated season (going 11–0) in Division I in 1975 and was one of only two undefeated Division I football teams that year. Arkansas State is one of only four institutions to have gone undefeated and not win a National Championship at the Division I-A (now Division I FBS) level. Since Arkansas State was a member of the Southland Conference, and the league did not have a bowl game tie-in, Arkansas State was not selected for post-season play despite being undefeated.

--Knute Rockne

factchecker

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 20, 2017, 10:24:49 pm
From Wikipedia and ironically you call yourself THE FACT CHECKER:

They remained in this classification for one year before being promoted to Division I.[3] Arkansas State recorded an undefeated season (going 11–0) in Division I in 1975 and was one of only two undefeated Division I football teams that year. Arkansas State is one of only four institutions to have gone undefeated and not win a National Championship at the Division I-A (now Division I FBS) level. Since Arkansas State was a member of the Southland Conference, and the league did not have a bowl game tie-in, Arkansas State was not selected for post-season play despite being undefeated.

1975 was realignment years.  They played a garbage schedule against the likes of Idaho, Lamar, McNeese, Memphis etc.

Add:  They were also in the Southland.  What division is the Southland in now?  FCS  However, the FCS is still much better than the Sunbelt.

Another ADD: jonesboro state is 2-73 record vs. P5 teams.

I'm not sure what their record vs. ranked teams are seeing that they hardly ever play a ranked team.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Porkchop#1

Boonie, You are pretty much dead wrong

Old Boonie just gets really bent out of shape when other Hog fans want to do better.  He doesn't like it when Hog fans want something better.

johnny cash

Quote from: Sigepgator702 on September 20, 2017, 09:24:05 pm
Mullen has MSU at #1 in the country at one point.  When's the last time that happened to us?

johnny cash

factchecker

Quote from: johnny cash on September 20, 2017, 10:33:05 pm
The BB love fest here is pathetic.

Nah.  Bielema isn't good.  Boonie just tries to put hog fans in their "place".  I don't see anything wrong with wanting better and we can do better.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

buldozer

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 20, 2017, 09:51:27 pm

I guess what riles me more than anything is the clownish behavior coupled with a look that is maybe disinterested, maybe inept, maybe just flat out clueless. I cannot stand that confused, disinterested look that goes on with him on that sideline while our wheels come off. Just utter buffoonery...

PRJ

+1, you tell em jimmy

King Kong

It's insulting to compare Mullen's amazing achievements at Miss State to us.

Arkansas's history, brand, town and expectations are far superior to that of Miss State

We freaking went a decade without losing to Ms State

Hogwild

Quote from: factchecker on September 20, 2017, 09:25:48 pm

bad Athletic Director

HamSammich

I liked the Arkansas state post. I've actually watched one of their games this year.  Couldn't find the pine bluff one on tv. One of UCAs. It's been a long time since I've done that.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think hog fans might support other schools more while long tanks the program.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

They had Dak. He's their McFadden. Nothing happened like that with Mullen before Dak got there nor since
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

El Puerco Grande

I am not happy with CBB, but I noticed that someone stated as "fact" that Bobby Petrino had us competing with LSU and Bama. In CBP's best year he got beat by 3 TDs by both teams. That may be better than losing by 4 TDs, but I would not call that competing.
How 'bout them hogs?

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: El Puerco Grande on September 21, 2017, 09:11:23 am
I am not happy with CBB, but I noticed that someone stated as "fact" that Bobby Petrino had us competing with LSU and Bama. In CBP's best year he got beat by 3 TDs by both teams. That may be better than losing by 4 TDs, but I would not call that competing.

I thought Alabama beat us 24-20 one year?

The_Iceman

Quote from: sowmonella on September 20, 2017, 09:27:29 pm
Because they were idiots.

Plain and Simple.

I have friends that were LSU fans, and it reminded me of when Arkansas fans were convincing themselves that John L. Smith could work as a head coach because the coordinators were good.

IndianaHog

Really dude?

PRJ

+1 It's like they're ok with mediocrity

TrueBlue

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 21, 2017, 09:06:28 am
They had Dak. He's their McFadden. Nothing happened like that with Mullen before Dak got there nor since

Mullen knows how to groom QB's. Not only Dak, there was a guy once upon a time named Tebow that he personally took under his wing at Florida and we know how that turned out (Heisman, National Championship, etc..).

Fitzgerald has the making of another great QB.

El Puerco Grande

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 21, 2017, 09:24:18 am
They did, but in his 11 win season we got beat 38-14. Remarkably, HDN beat Bama 5 times. They were not near as good then.
How 'bout them hogs?

RazorPiggie

Lol ok.

Sivad

Think of this - as a state we want good football.
Because we want a good football team in our state, that investment may eventually go to ASU, and with the right investment they could possibly lock down a decent coach and challenge. 
Make it stop (howling).

smb

Right on!!
GeorgiaHOG

The Boar War

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 21, 2017, 09:24:18 am

They did.  It was the same year we beat LSU and went to the Sugar Bowl. But that didn't fit the narrative so........

The Hawg Marshal

Nailed it!

The Boar War

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

You covered a span of 30 years.  Six coaches in 30 years is not a merry go round especially when you count Crowe and Kines.  Alabama has 8 coaches in that same span and that's not including Mike Price or Joe Kines.

Michael_E_Davis

Really dude?

PRJ

What do you mean by results?  Please explain.   To me,  Wins against Florida,  LSU,   Ole Miss,  TCU,  Texas Tech,  Tennessee,  Auburn,  Miss. State,   Texas Long Horns,  Kansas State, Missouri is pretty decent results.  We won 8 games in 2015.  This season just started.   So, what do you mean by results?  A national championship every year?  11 wins every year?
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

lakecityhog

E, if you string all of those wins together it is a very good run. But, when you spread them out over 4 years, not-so-much.

Again, it is not all about wins. It's about coming out and looking like a football team from game 1 through the WHOLE season. Not losing to Toledo at home, Not going scoreless in 3 straight 2nd halves against P5 opponents, Not coming into an important game with no fire at all. I could go on and on about things that bother a lot of fans and winning is fairly far down the list, but if those problems were truly addressed winning would not be an issue!

Porkchop#1

Quote from: El Puerco Grande on September 21, 2017, 09:11:23 am
He beat LSU the year before that.  In your expert opinion, would you call that competing?

farmhawg

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on September 20, 2017, 09:22:10 pm
So your point is that Mullen is a bigger loser than Bielema.  So it is okay to accept Bielema's poor record?
Whatever it takes to distract from the truth.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

PorkSoda

didn't we almost beat them when they were #1?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.