Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the commitment to winning?

Started by JOKERHOG, July 22, 2017, 06:00:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JOKERHOG

Butch Jones is on the hotseat at Tenner.  Sumlin is on the hotseat with the aggies.  Yet BB slides by another year.  This is year 5 and the end of year 4 showed regression and not progress.  It is no secret that I am no fan of our coach.  I would love for him to prove me wrong and make me eat crow but he just doesn't have the "it factor" that was obvious by Nolan's year 3 and Bobby's year 2.  He isn't going to get it done on the field.  What is difference between Tenner, the aggies and us other than commitment to winning?  If our Razorbacks had a true commitment to winning, the big guy would be squarely on the hotseat right now!
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Wildhog

The argument you'll get is that we don't have the history, prestige, or recruiting base to compete at the level of those schools.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 06:06:20 pm
The argument you'll get is that we don't have the history, prestige, or recruiting base to compete at the level of those schools.

We have an alltime significantly winning record over the aggies so I don't buy that

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

LRrazorback

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 06:00:25 pm
Butch Jones is on the hotseat at Tenner.  Sumlin is on the hotseat with the aggies.  Yet BB slides by another year.  This is year 5 and the end of year 4 showed regression and not progress.  It is no secret that I am no fan of our coach.  I would love for him to prove me wrong and make me eat crow but he just doesn't have the "it factor" that was obvious by Nolan's year 3 and Bobby's year 2.  He isn't going to get it done on the field.  What is difference between Tenner, the aggies and us other than commitment to winning?  If our Razorbacks had a true commitment to winning, the big guy would be squarely on the hotseat right now!

Bingo. What he said

Wildhog

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 06:07:28 pm
We have an alltime significantly winning record over the aggies so I don't buy that

Just letting you know what's coming
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 06:10:06 pm

BB should consider the aggie game this year the biggest of his career.  That is a must win game if I have every experienced one. 

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 06:10:06 pm
Don't forget what a Bobby fan he must be 8)

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on July 22, 2017, 06:13:21 pm
Don't forget what a Bobby fan he must be 8)

Correct HNR, stating facts and not drinking the koolaid gets you labelled negatively very quickly on Hogville

Mike_e

So, let me get this straight; you want to fire the current coach and hire a new one, right?

There goes another 4 or 5 years to see if he can get what you (we all) want done.  Two or three just to get his players installed and likely not winning while he's doing it.  This added to at least one more year of CBB probably two.

So at least 4 and maybe 7 more years (if the new guy does work out) until we're up and running with a new coach.  Add another 4 or 5 if we have to get a second after him.

How long do you want to wait?

Right now we are a stable program making general improvement and stability is key in getting over the hump if you aren't one of the top 5 or 7 teams in the land.

We are going to play this hand until it's time to call.  If at that time we see we need to raise then we will likely do so.  From a much stronger base than what we had after motorgate.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

ricepig

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 06:12:37 pm
BB should consider the aggie game this year the biggest of his career.  That is a must win game if I have every experienced one. 

More so than Nolan against ASU?

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Mike_e on July 22, 2017, 06:30:20 pm
So, let me get this straight; you want to fire the current coach and hire a new one, right?

There goes another 4 or 5 years to see if he can get what you (we all) want done.  Two or three just to get his players installed and likely not winning while he's doing it.  This added to at least one more year of CBB probably two.

So at least 4 and maybe 7 more years (if the new guy does work out) until we're up and running with a new coach.  Add another 4 or 5 if we have to get a second after him.

Right now we are a stable program making general improvement and stability is key in getting over the hump if you aren't one of the top 5 or 7 teams in the land.

We are going to play this hand until it's time to call.  If at that time we see we need to raise then we will likely do so.  From a much stronger base than what we had after motorgate.

You don't ride a dying horse until it is dead.  You find a better one ASAP to get you where you want to go.  Another year wasted if we lose to aggies again

Tusks

The commitment to winning is be committed to winning as much as you can without cheating.   Color however you like but color between the lines.  Some coaches can color better between the lines than others.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

JOKERHOG

Quote from: tusked on July 22, 2017, 06:40:59 pm
The commitment to winning is be committed to winning as much as you can without cheating.   Color however you like but color between the lines.  Some coaches can color better between the lines than others.

2011 first top five finish since holtz in 1977-1978 and no ncaa infractions.  It can be done here. 

Bacon_Bitz

While I sympathize with the OP, at this point I still think it's more likely that CBB gets us to the next level (averaging 9 wins and competing for the sec w title every few years) in the next five years than hiring a new head coach to try and do the same. The long road may yet still pay off. This is more of a Mark Dantonio, Dan Mullen, Frank Beamer build going on than a CBP, Hugh Freeze, type of setup.

RebelW

Doing it the right way takes some years to build. Instant success catches up with you. Ask Hugh
What I'm saying is, to be successful in a hurry you can't do it without cheating, I truly believe that. I'd rather take some time to build something and it last and be healthy, rather than 4 years of instant fame. Then get banned from bowls and have recruiting number penalties and have to go through 4 years of disaster.. CBB had a learning curve along with it. I think he will get us there. The low number of recruits we can only get this year shows me we are well on our way

hawgon

Bielema is soft and his teams play soft and weak minded.  It is what it is.  It won't change.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on July 22, 2017, 06:47:24 pm
While I sympathize with the OP, at this point I still think it's more likely that CBB gets us to the next level (averaging 9 wins and competing for the sec w title every few years) in the next five years than hiring a new head coach to try and do the same. The long road may yet still pay off. This is more of a Mark Dantonio, Dan Mullen, Frank Beamer build going on than a CBP, Hugh Freeze, type of setup.

I understand your point.  Stanford is another one.  However, you still have to have the right guy to ever get there.  There should be more glimpses of the "it factor" and not the type of regression we saw at the end of year 4.  I just don't see it but but will admit I have never thought much of him as a coach.  It is playing out as I suspected it would on 12/4/12. 

AirWarren

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 06:40:12 pm
You don't ride a dying horse until it is dead.  You find a better one ASAP to get you where you want to go.  Another year wasted if we lose to aggies again

Who is the horse in the stable knocking down the door to come to Arkansas?

JOKERHOG

I don't get paid a $1mill annually to find the right coach.  That is someone else's job but I do know when we don't have the correct one.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2017, 06:38:15 pm
More so than Nolan against ASU?

Yes, on the same level.  Who will BB's Cannon Whitby be?  Can't wait to see the magic.  and btw, that was year 2, this is year 5!

AirWarren

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 06:58:47 pm
I don't get paid a $1mill annually to find the right coach.  That is someone else's job but I do know when we don't have the correct one.

Do you? The same man that is getting paid to find the right one is getting paid to also pass on the wrong one.

Bret Bielema was a great hire. Look at what he was doing at Wisconsin. A team that is basically in Canada.

It's year 5. It's time to produce. But setting the program back to hire the next up and comer will be no better than what we got. We have stability right now, no scandals, no NCAA breathing down our neck. I'll take it.

thebignasty

Dunno. Sumlin has the 2nd best modern era winning percentage at A&M.  Better than Bear Bryant managed in his stint in aggie town.   I'm not sure him being on the hot seat there is actually all that reasonable.

Bielema would absolutely be on the hot seat for me if we werent so badly broken when he took over. He's out of excuses now. Need 8 wins before bowl season this year.  Can't collapse at the end of games anymore.

AirWarren

Quote from: thebignasty on July 22, 2017, 07:05:47 pm
Dunno. Sumlin has the 2nd best modern era winning percentage at A&M.  Better than Bear Bryant managed in his stint in aggie town.   I'm not sure him being on the hot seat there is actually all that reasonable.

Bielema would absolutely be on the hot seat for me if we werent so badly broken when he took over. He's out of excuses now. Need 8 wins before bowl season this year.  Can't collapse at the end of games anymore.

If we avoid the stupid collapse at the end of the season, we win 9 games at least and none of this Bielema crap would exist.

8 wins is a must.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Mike_e on July 22, 2017, 06:30:20 pm

I might think you are stretching it a bit, but I am squarely on this bus! Most don't want to concede to the facts that BP was the benefactor of the best ever in-state recruiting class plus Ryan Mallett. Also discounting that great class where the biggest pieces fit exactly what he wanted to do. It wasn't a big bunch of lineman, it was mostly offensive skill players. They also discount that the program was in much better shape than what CBB inherited. They also don't listen to the reporters around the program that saw the poor culture and could see the impending dumpster fire, before the motorcycle. CBB may not get it done but I love about 80% of what I have seen in his tenure, and feel like the program is in the best position it has been since the reverend took the job! A program like ours with a small recruiting base needs stability most of all.

thebignasty

Quote from: AP85 on July 22, 2017, 07:09:34 pm
If we avoid the stupid collapse at the end of the season, we win 9 games at least and none of this Bielema crap would exist.

8 wins is a must.

100% true

We'd all probably be inflating our expectations to insanity right about now.

ricepig

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 07:01:25 pm
Yes, on the same level.  Who will BB's Cannon Whitby be?  Can't wait to see the magic.  and btw, that was year 2, this is year 5!

Well, he's here next year, so I guess you'll be nashing your teeth all season for nothing.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: AP85 on July 22, 2017, 07:04:15 pm
Do you? The same man that is getting paid to find the right one is getting paid to also pass on the wrong one.

Bret Bielema was a great hire. Look at what he was doing at Wisconsin. A team that is basically in Canada.

It's year 5. It's time to produce. But setting the program back to hire the next up and comer will be no better than what we got. We have stability right now, no scandals, no NCAA breathing down our neck. I'll take it.

So back to the original question.  Where is the commitment to winning?  You and JL seem to be content to do it the "right way".  No commitment to winning was my entire point

ricepig

Quote from: thebignasty on July 22, 2017, 07:05:47 pm

16 wins over the next two regular seasons gets him an extension and new contract.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2017, 07:12:14 pm
Well, he's here next year, so I guess you'll be nashing your teeth all season for nothing.

Do you agree aggies are a must win?

JOKERHOG

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2017, 07:13:36 pm
16 wins over the next two regular seasons gets him an extension and new contract.

No way, long will be run out of town with him if they try to pull that crap again.  The fans here aren't stupid regardless of the "this is the best we can do" crowd on hogville. 

ricepig

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 07:15:45 pm
Do you agree aggies are a must win?

For what, his coaching career at Arkansas? Nope, not at all. In order to have a chance at 8-9 wins, sure. He needs to go 4-0 in September to have a chance at 9 wins, hopefully we will!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 06:00:25 pm
So just because we don't all go around whining about CBB like a bunch of little female dogs you think we are all super stoked right now with him? The seat IS warming up but some of us aren't precipitous jackholes who can't get over our butt-love for Petrino. Stop acting like an 8yr old boy when a new video game comes out

Tusks

8-5 for 2 years is very average.  I wish the magic # was 18.  Double digit wins should be in the plan somewhere in a 7 year stretch.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PorkRinds

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 06:40:12 pm

If you're going to use a horse analogy CBB isn't a dying horse. He's a strong and steady horse that isn't getting you where you want to go fast enough.

ricepig

Quote from: tusked on July 22, 2017, 07:19:09 pm
8-5 for 2 years is very average.  I wish the magic # was 18.  Double digit wins should be in the plan somewhere in a 7 year stretch.

Well, he'd have another year in order to get your double digit wins in year 7.

AirWarren

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 07:13:03 pm
So back to the original question.  Where is the commitment to winning?  You and JL seem to be content to do it the "right way".  No commitment to winning was my entire point

What's the commitment to winning?

Bobby petrino screwing the fan base and lying to his boss?

Hugh Freeze' model for commitment to winning?

SMU?

If that's what you and the rest of hogville want then I'll concede my hog fan card and let y'all have it.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2017, 07:20:39 pm
Well, he'd have another year in order to get your double digit wins in year 7.

what what have you seen to this point in BB's tenure that makes you think this will happen?  Also, new starting qb.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: theFlyingHog on July 22, 2017, 07:18:29 pm
So just because we don't all go around whining about CBB like a bunch of little female dogs you think we are all super stoked right now with him? The seat IS warming up but some of us aren't precipitous jackholes who can't get over our butt-love for Petrino. Stop acting like an 8yr old boy when a new video game comes out

You are the one sinking to that level.  Is that all you got?

ricepig

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 07:23:50 pm
what what have you seen to this point in BB's tenure that makes you think this will happen?  Also, new starting qb.

In year 7 we will have a new starting QB? Since you know this, quick, go out and buy a Powerball ticket for tonight and win. Then you can pay the buyout.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: AP85 on July 22, 2017, 07:21:49 pm
What's the commitment to winning?

Bobby petrino screwing the fan base and lying to his boss?

Hugh Freeze' model for commitment to winning?

SMU?

If that's what you and the rest of hogville want then I'll concede my hog fan card and let y'all have it.

Whether BP lied is an opinion, not fact.  Many think he was alone on the cycle like he initially stated. 

AirWarren

Quote from: tusked on July 22, 2017, 07:19:09 pm

Who is your perennial 10+ win teams in history?

Alabama.
Florida state.
Texas.
Miami.
USC.
Ohio state.
Notre Dame.

Arkansas has nowhere near the tradition as those teams. I've been alive 32 years and I have never experienced our program at that level but a hand full of times.

Don't suspect we will ever be those teams. So if we win 8-9 every year so what. I'm
Happy. Throw in a 10-12 win season every so often I'll be dancing in the streets and enjoying every minute of it.

AirWarren

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 07:26:20 pm
Whether BP lied is an opinion, not fact.  Many think he was alone on the cycle like he initially stated.

But his BOSS decided what was fact and what was opinion. So deal with it and his choices.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2017, 07:26:03 pm
In year 7 we will have a new starting QB? Since you know this, quick, go out and buy a Powerball ticket for tonight and win. Then you can pay the buyout.

I'll buy the ticket for him.

thebignasty

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2017, 07:13:36 pm

I think that's probably all it takes also

thebignasty

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 07:26:20 pm

lol

AirWarren

JOKERHOG

Quote from: AP85 on July 22, 2017, 07:29:33 pm
Sad how some still cling to that man.

Not him in particular, just shows you can do unimaginable things with the right leader. 

AirWarren

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 07:31:31 pm
Not him in particular, just shows you can do unimaginable things with the right leader.

And with a Ryan mallett, the Warren 3, and joe Adams falling in your lap.

Letsroll1200

Any coach with a 10-22 record in the SEC would be on the hot seat. I think Vandy and Kentucky might put their coaches on the hot seat. However, Coach Bert is media friendly in Arkansas and he followed up John L. Smith.

The 10-22 record is the second worst amongst active coaches in their first four years. We are ahead of Kentucky.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: AP85 on July 22, 2017, 07:35:03 pm
And with a Ryan mallett, the Warren 3, and joe Adams falling in your lap.

You go get what fits your system and make it happen.  Joe was going to USC-W and Tyler was going to Tulsa.  Mallett look at us because of BP's system.  Nothing falls in your lap in this world, you make it happen.