Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

I saw where Danny West  retweeted this.

https://twitter.com/Dan_G33/status/864673567564341250

He said he hurt his meniscus(MCL)??

Razorpigg

Ewww that wouldnt be good at all...

yraciv

Get well big man! Luckily that type of injury shouldn't have any affect on our season.

ShadowHawg

Meniscus wouldn't be that bad.

MCL would be.

ricepig

Slight tear is what I've read. No plans for surgery, as of now.

nwahogfan1

Another reason we need to recruit and sign more real bigs to our roster.

waphill

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 17, 2017, 10:03:20 am

This. I would like to see 1 more on the roster. If him or Trey gets a bad injury early next season, it could be a long one.

The_Iceman

Letsroll1200

The roster is full.

niels_boar

Our championship team only had two players over 6-10 and one undersized, but fantastic, PF.  If Gafford is still around, the 2018 team will be bigger than the 1994 team.  I'm not optimistic that with our style in this environment of one-and-done and rampant transfers that we will ever consistently have more than two 6-10 guys that can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. Not many programs can say next with a difference maker at center or PF.  Oregon lost Boucher and had to go with a athletic combo forward at center.

A bigger problem for us IMO, given our style, is being small and marginally athletic on the wing and no stretch four.  Those players are out there.  The wing problem may be solved this season.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

hawgfan4life

Sometime the meniscus is a horrible injury.  If it is torn in a place it requires being sewn together versus a scope, it can take many months to heal with the leg being virtually immobile while healing.

Hawg Red

4-6 weeks is what I'm hearing. Doesn't sound too serious but will very likely impact his conditioning.

waphill

Quote from: hawgfan4life on May 17, 2017, 01:19:55 pm
Sometime the meniscus is a horrible injury.  If it is torn in a place it requires being sewn together versus a scope, it can take many months to heal with the leg being virtually immobile while healing.

It definitely sucks long term. It aches with cold weather and rain. Mine continues to flake off and will probably have to have a couple more surgeries.

poloprince

No biggie here, he will be ready to roll by the end of July.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

HogsonHicks

Quote from: niels_boar on May 17, 2017, 12:44:28 pm
Our championship team only had two players over 6-10 and one undersized, but fantastic, PF.  If Gafford is still around, the 2018 team will be bigger than the 1994 team.

Negative. The '94 team was much bigger. Two large 6'11" (Robinson, Wilson), one large 6'9" (Stewart), and one powerful 6'7" (Williamson). They also had two 6'8" players (Martin, Biggers). The current roster doesn't have that kind of size. Not even close.

Pigasaurus

Didn't Corliss measure out to be 6'5"1/2?
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

PORKULATOR

Quote from: pigasaurus on May 17, 2017, 06:49:48 pm
Didn't Corliss measure out to be 6'5"1/2?
no... I played play ground ball against/and with him at James Park and the L&D and he was every bit 6' 7"...+ a little. Big dude.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

BigoBoys

Knee injuries are not the issue they were in the 80's.   WPS!

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: HogsonHicks on May 17, 2017, 06:45:56 pm
Negative. The '94 team was much bigger. Two large 6'11" (Robinson, Wilson), one large 6'9" (Stewart), and one powerful 6'7" (Williamson). They also had two 6'8" players (Martin, Biggers). The current roster doesn't have that kind of size. Not even close.

I mean if we get Vanover we would probably be taller on average lol.

Cinco de Hogo

I have learned over a very long period of time that news like this is almost never as unimportant as a few like to protray it to be.  Arkansas, in any sport almost never has the quailty depth to just say next.

The important thing here is that Gifford doesn't rush it and the coaches don't let him rush it because I gauantee you as soon as he hits the Hill he will be wanting playing time with his teammates. 

No doubt we need him healthy and 100% when SEC play begins.  Please don't rush it and limp through the season!!!

texas tush hog

Quote from: BigoBoys on May 17, 2017, 09:40:00 pm
Knee injuries are not the issue they were in the 80's.   WPS!

Had a torn meniscus 8 years ago and after a scope, was off work for about six weeks. A lot different rehabbing when you are 60 as opposed to 18. He will probably be fine by time fall practice starts.

texas tush hog

May 18, 2017, 10:42:03 am #22 Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:00:28 am by texas tush hog
Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 18, 2017, 08:10:34 am
I mean if we get Vanover we would probably be taller on average lol.

I personally think letting Vanover go would be a big mistake. A 7'3" legacy with range would be hard to turn down. Would live to regret it when he signs with Vandy (or Bama, Ole Miss, SMU, or Memphis, all who have offered) and kicks our butts. Worse than losing Monk IMO.

niels_boar

May 18, 2017, 10:55:07 am #23 Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:44:44 am by niels_boar
Quote from: HogsonHicks on May 17, 2017, 06:45:56 pm

I said the 2018 roster, as in 2018-19, if Gafford stays (for his sophomore season).
According to the always informed Jimmy Carter, the listed sizes of the 2018 roster (some of whom are still growing),

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/19/future-arkansas-basketball-rosters/

2018-2019                                                 1993-1994
Daniel Gafford, F, Soph., 6-11, 223               Darnell Robinson    6-11, 270
Reggie Perry, F, Fr., 6-10, 225                       Lee Wilson             6-11, 250
Ethan Henderson, F, Fr., 6-9, 190                  Dwight Stewart       6-9, 260
Brachen Hazen, F, Jr., 6-8, 195                     Ray Biggers            6-8, 200
Darious Hall, G/F, Soph., 6-7, 210                 Lee Martin              6-8, 220
Adrio Bailey, F, Jr., 6-6, 204                          Corliss Williamson    6-7, 245   
Khalil Garland, G, Soph., 6-6, 190                 Davor Rimac           6-7, 210
C.J. Jones, G, Jr., 6-5, 166                            Ken Biley                6-6, 207
Jalen Harris, G, So., 6-2, 160                        Scotty Thurman      6-6, 210
Isaiah Joe, G, Fr., 6-2, 160                            Clint McDaniel        6-4, 180
Desi Sills, G, Fr., 6-1, 170                             Roger Crawford       6-4, 175
                                                                  Corey Beck             6-2, 190
                                                                  Alex Dillard             6-1, 170

Those heights are comparable, especially since we seem to be looking at wing/small forward types to fill out the 2018 class, and I suspect the listed heights of the '94 team are more inflated than the 2018 roster.  I assume that the recruits are more accurately measured before they get on campus than afterwards in the game program.  Corliss was not 6-7, and I don't think Thurman is anywhere close to 6-6.  The '94 team probably had a clear advantage in beef, but the 2018 roster should have more length with quickness and leaping ability. The '94 team had a lot of plodders like Wilson, Biggers, Martin, Stewart, Rimac, and Thurman that I don't remember being known for playing above the rim.

Furthermore, if the heights are weighted by minutes, I suspect the 2018 roster will turn out to have a larger average height. Biggers, Martin, Biley, and Wilson all played less than 10 minutes per game.  They made contributions but were not critical rotation players.  My wild guess at the starters for 2018 would be Gafford - C, Perry - PF, CJ Jones - wing, Khalil Garland - SG, Jalen Harris - PG.  That's a bigger team than Robinson/Stewart, Corliss, Scotty, McDaniel, and Beck.   

FineAsSwine

Quote from: texas tush hog on May 18, 2017, 10:42:03 am
I personally think letting Vanover go would be a big mistake. A 7'3" legacy with range would be hard to turn down. Would live to regret it when he signs with Vandy (or some other school) and kicks our butts. Worse than losing Monk IMO.

Well, he does have an offer so, if it's not conditional, he can have some say so. Losing Monk wasn't so bad. He was a blip on the college hoops scene. I'm already over it.

Some people tried to make him the be all and end all of the program and were predicting that losing Monk would hurt instate recruiting and would signal the end of CMA's tenure here but the program is doing just fine and recruiting is better than it has been in a long time.

Tried to tell people that one guy wouldn't make or break CMA here but I guess that's what they wanted to believe.
Hogs up! Covid down!

niels_boar

Quote from: PORKULATOR on May 17, 2017, 07:02:29 pm
no... I played play ground ball against/and with him at James Park and the L&D and he was every bit 6' 7"...+ a little. Big dude.

Then he was playing basketball in two-inch heels.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Corliss-Williamson-4927/

texas tush hog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 18, 2017, 10:58:01 am
Well, he does have an offer so, if it's not conditional, he can have some say so. Losing Monk wasn't so bad. He was a blip on the college hoops scene. I'm already over it.

Some people tried to make him the be all and end all of the program and were predicting that losing Monk would hurt instate recruiting and would signal the end of CMA's tenure here but the program is doing just fine and recruiting is better than it has been in a long time.

Tried to tell people that one guy wouldn't make or break CMA here but I guess that's what they wanted to believe.

Sure hope Monk fails in the pros.

I am a CMA fan, but it would be a pr nightmare if Vanover goes to another SEC school and excels after a period of seasoning as a project, when all we have to do is roll out the carpet with either a scholly or recruited walk-on, but I trust Mike's judgement.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: texas tush hog on May 18, 2017, 11:07:52 am
Sure hope Monk fails in the pros.

I am a CMA fan, but it would be a pr nightmare if Vanover goes to another SEC school and excels after a period of seasoning as a project, when all we have to do is roll out the carpet with either a scholly or recruited walk-on, but I trust Mike's judgement.

Of course we want all of the great Arkansas ballers to ball here. Still watching Reeves with great interest over at Wichita State. While I'm rooting for the kid, I do have mixed emotions.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: niels_boar on May 18, 2017, 11:03:01 am
Then he was playing basketball in two-inch heels.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Corliss-Williamson-4927/

Corliss would not approve of this remark, although your point is well taken.   ;)
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 18, 2017, 11:19:07 am
Of course we want all of the great Arkansas ballers to ball here. Still watching Reeves with great interest over at Wichita State. While I'm rooting for the kid, I do have mixed emotions.

Reaves couldn't get into the SEC, so moot point.

jjdlc

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 18, 2017, 11:55:14 am
Reaves couldn't get into the SEC, so moot point.

Entrance requirements for high school athletes are the same for Witchita St. as they are at SEC schools.  SEC only differs on JUCOs.  Reaves was a (very) late qualifier, Witchita St. was willing to take a chance that he would not make it, Arkansas was not, espescially after what had happened with Kapita the previous year.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: jjdlc on May 18, 2017, 12:25:00 pm
Entrance requirements for high school athletes are the same for Witchita St. as they are at SEC schools.  SEC only differs on JUCOs.  Reaves was a (very) late qualifier, Witchita St. was willing to take a chance that he would not make it, Arkansas was not, espescially after what had happened with Kapita the previous year.
Speaking of Kapita, rumor is that he's flunking out of NC State, so he's going to go overseas.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Hogimus Prime

Style and player wise I think the 90-91 would be a better comparison.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: niels_boar on May 18, 2017, 10:55:07 am
I said the 2018 roster, as in 2018-19, if Gafford stays (for his sophomore season).
According to the always informed Jimmy Carter, the listed sizes of the 2018 roster (some of whom are still growing),

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/19/future-arkansas-basketball-rosters/

Reggie Perry, F, Fr., 6-10, 225                       Lee Wilson             6-11, 250
Ethan Henderson, F, Fr., 6-9, 190                  Dwight Stewart       6-9, 260
Brachen Hazen, F, Jr., 6-8, 195                     Ray Biggers            6-8, 200
Darious Hall, G/F, Soph., 6-7, 210                 Lee Martin              6-8, 220
Adrio Bailey, F, Jr., 6-6, 204                          Corliss Williamson    6-7, 245   
Khalil Garland, G, Soph., 6-6, 190                 Davor Rimac           6-7, 210
C.J. Jones, G, Jr., 6-5, 166                            Ken Biley                6-6, 207
Jalen Harris, G, So., 6-2, 160                        Scotty Thurman      6-6, 210
Isaiah Joe, G, Fr., 6-2, 160                            Clint McDaniel        6-4, 180
Desi Sills, G, Fr., 6-1, 170                             Roger Crawford       6-4, 175

Those heights are comparable, especially since we seem to be looking at wing/small forward types to fill out the 2018 class, and I suspect the listed heights of the '94 team are more inflated than the 2018 roster.  I assume that the recruits are more accurately measured before they get on campus than afterwards in the game program.  Corliss was not 6-7, and I don't think Thurman is anywhere close to 6-6.  The '94 team probably had a clear advantage in beef, but the 2018 roster should have more length with quickness and leaping ability. The '94 team had a lot of plodders like Wilson, Biggers, Martin, Stewart, Rimac, and Thurman that I don't remember being known for playing above the rim.

Furthermore, if the heights are weighted by minutes, I suspect the 2018 roster will turn out to have a larger average height. Biggers, Martin, Biley, and Wilson all played less than 10 minutes per game.  They made contributions but were not critical rotation players.  My wild guess at the starters for 2018 would be Gafford - C, Perry - PF, CJ Jones - wing, Khalil Garland - SG, Jalen Harris - PG.  That's a bigger team than Robinson/Stewart, Corliss, Scotty, McDaniel, and Beck.   

The difference Neil might be that we had several kids on Nolan's team who knew they needed to play down low and I think liked it  and I am not real sure about Mike's group of big men.  Only Gafford I see likes playing down low.  So who will be our Center and who is the back up?  I know it is only a title but the fact is someone has to do the dirty work and likes to play down low.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: jjdlc on May 18, 2017, 12:25:00 pm

Entrance requirements are lower at Wichita State than thy are at U of A.

Also MVC admission requirements are bare bones NCAA whereas SEC are not.

HogsonHicks

You posted a bunch of numbers to prove my point. That 94 team was bigger in height and much bigger in beef. We had multiple big interior options.

Also, questioning the posted heights of that era and taking the current ones at face value is a goofy argument.

Yes, the 18-19 team will be much bigger, but the interior size we had in 94 isn't rivaled. I get the point though...we will be a bigger team in the near future.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 18, 2017, 04:24:26 pm

For Junior College transfers, not high school graduates.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rude1

Quote from: texas tush hog on May 18, 2017, 10:42:03 am
I personally think letting Vanover go would be a big mistake. A 7'3" legacy with range would be hard to turn down. Would live to regret it when he signs with Vandy (or Bama, Ole Miss, SMU, or Memphis, all who have offered) and kicks our butts. Worse than losing Monk IMO.
This has to be some of the biggest hyperbole in the history of jump ball. You are going to equate losing a player who most consider a project player as being worse than losing a nationally top ten talent kid who is headed to being a lottery pick? Nothing I can add to that....................

niels_boar

May 18, 2017, 06:37:20 pm #38 Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:19:18 pm by niels_boar
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 18, 2017, 12:39:20 pm
The difference Neil might be that we had several kids on Nolan's team who knew they needed to play down low and I think liked it  and I am not real sure about Mike's group of big men.  Only Gafford I see likes playing down low.  So who will be our Center and who is the back up?  I know it is only a title but the fact is someone has to do the dirty work and likes to play down low.

Post scoring in '94 was primarily Corliss.  He was awesome, and CNR surrounded him with good shooters.  Over half of Stewart's attempts were treys.  He was not a post player as one of the top three bigs with minutes.  Robinson also liked to drift to the perimeter, contrary to coaching as I recall.

I'm far from a recruiting guru, but my impression is that Gafford is more athletic than either Wilson or Robinson.  Perry might be the Corliss on this team.  He's reportedly strong and finishes well in traffic.  He's without question bigger than Corliss at PF, but size wasn't the full measure of Big Nasty.  There aren't many players these days that focus solely on post play.  Henderson would presumably be the backup center right now.  At 6-9 that's not unusually small these days.

niels_boar

May 18, 2017, 07:16:58 pm #39 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:09:02 am by niels_boar
Quote from: HogsonHicks on May 18, 2017, 04:30:12 pm
You posted a bunch of numbers to prove my point. That 94 team was bigger in height and much bigger in beef. We had multiple big interior options.

Also, questioning the posted heights of that era and taking the current ones at face value is a goofy argument.

Yes, the 18-19 team will be much bigger, but the interior size we had in 94 isn't rivaled. I get the point though...we will be a bigger team in the near future.

You ignore the fact that 3 of the 5 biggest players on '94 team - Martin (6 minutes), Biggers (10 minutes), and Wilson (10 minutes) hardly played.  If we hired Shaq to be an assistant coach, it would not make us any bigger on the court.

In the championship game against Duke the minutes were Corliss - 35, Beck - 35, Thurman - 36, McDaniel - 32, Stewart - 29, Robinson - 12, Dillard - 8, Wilson - 5, Rimac - 5, Biley - 3.  That's not a huge team.  CNR basically went with Corliss (an undersized PF), Stewart (an undersized perimeter player at center), and three guards.  Duke was an inch and a half taller when you weight the heights by minutes played.  It's a fantasy that the key to that team was size.  We had a great undersized post player that we surrounded with great skill on the perimeter.

I didn't take the listed sizes of the 2018 recruits at face value.  I think they are LESS inflated than the program listings for the team.  The reason is that these kids get measured at camps before they have signed and any specific school is trying to look bigger on paper.  Once they get on campus they will get an inch taller and 10 lbs heavier in the program.  That's just a time honored tradition.

HogsonHicks

Quote from: niels_boar on May 18, 2017, 07:16:58 pm
You ignore the fact that 3 of the 5 biggest players on '94 team - Martin (6 minutes), Biggers (10 minutes), and Wilson (10 minutes) hardly played.  If we hired Shaq to be an assistant coach, it would make us any bigger on the court.

In the championship game against Duke the minutes were Corliss - 35, Beck - 35, Thurman - 36, McDaniel - 32, Stewart - 29, Robinson - 12, Dillard - 8, Wilson - 5, Rimac - 5, Biley - 3.  That's not a huge team.  CNR basically went with Corliss (an undersized PF), Stewart (an undersized perimeter player at center), and three guards.  Duke was an inch and a half taller when you weight the heights by minutes played.  It's a fantasy that the key to that team was size.  We had a great undersized post player that we surrounded with great skill on the perimeter.

I didn't take the listed sizes of the 2018 recruits at face value.  I think they are LESS inflated than the program listings for the team.  The reason is that these kids get measured at camps before they have signed and any specific school is trying to look bigger on paper.  Once they get on campus they will get an inch taller and 10 lbs heavier in the program.  That's just a time honored tradition.

You said the '18 team would be bigger than the '94 team and I pointed out you were wrong. Change the narrative and add qualifiers (for example, projecting who will or won't play) all you want, but you won't be right.

Your main point of being bigger is accurate. No big deal.

The Pocahontas Porker

That 93-94 team would crush this team, too much depth , too much size , to much strength an to much shooting..
The Pitt Boss ,  The Muss Bus , The DVH Wagon . Coach Diefel , Coach Taylor , Coach Wieber an Coach McMakin life is great on the hill .

Porky McGee

May 18, 2017, 08:37:16 pm #42 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:45:21 am by Porky McGee
We will look back and wish that Reaves would have been a hog (yes, I know the problem wasn't on our end there). But I think that kid will be a stud at Wichita. I watched Vanover before his junior year in the summer. Don't know how he has progressed since, but then he showed no interest in protecting the rim and was somewhat stiff. Don't know if it was just that day or what. But he did show his shooting ability and he hit a step back 20 foot 3 and looked good doing it. Just don't know if he is what Anderson truly wants or not.

WBOBO

Boy if you could take those last two on the list and slide them over to the current roster I would be tickled to death.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

nwahogfan1

May 19, 2017, 06:54:45 am #44 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:30:06 am by nwahogfan1
Quote from: niels_boar on May 18, 2017, 06:37:20 pm
Post scoring in '94 was primarily Corliss.  He was awesome, and CNR surrounded him with good shooters.  Over half of Stewart's attempts were treys.  He was not a post player as one of the top three bigs with minutes.  Robinson also liked to drift to the perimeter, contrary to coaching as I recall.

I'm far from a recruiting guru, but my impression is that Gafford is more athletic than either Wilson or Robinson.  Perry might be the Corliss on this team.  He's reportedly strong and finishes well in traffic.  He's without question bigger than Corliss at PF, but size wasn't the full measure of Big Nasty.  There aren't many players these days that focus solely on post play.  Henderson would presumably be the backup center right now.  At 6-9 that's not unusually small these days.

Yes thankfully we will be taller in 18 but I am not so sure our new guys will play with a tougher mentality. I have not seen these guys play in person.  But to me to be consistent at beating top 20 teams you need true bangers. They can be Corliss size but they must be tough and like it. Scoring 6 ppg would be great but to me we need to mainly sign big guys who play tough defense and rebound in the paint.  We need that tough mentality.

jjdlc

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 18, 2017, 04:24:26 pm

The following is universal for high school athletes across D1 athletic schools.

QuoteDivision I academic eligibility
To be eligible to compete in NCAA sports during your first year at a Division I school, you must graduate high school and meet ALL the following requirements:

Complete 16 core courses:
Four years of English
Three years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)
Two years of natural/physical science (including one year of lab science if your high school offers it)
One additional year of English, math or natural/physical science
Two years of social science
Four additional years of English, math, natural/physical science, social science, foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy
Complete 10 core courses, including seven in English, math or natural/physical science, before your seventh semester. Once you begin your seventh semester, you may not repeat or replace any of those 10 courses to improve your core-course GPA.
Earn at least a 2.3 GPA in your core courses.
Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum score matching your core-course GPA on the Division I sliding scale, which balances your test score and core-course GPA. If you have a low test score, you need a higher core-course GPA to be eligible. If you have a low core-course GPA, you need a higher test score to be eligible.

The SEC does not enforce any other requirements on top of the NCAA's requirements for HS athletes for it's member schools.  It does have extra requirements for JUCO athletes transferring to member schools.

Individual schools may have higher standards which must be met for incoming athletes, Standford is a well known school which does so. 

Arkansas's entrance requirements for incoming freshman is a 3.0 GPA and a 20 ACT, Witchita State's requirements are a 2.5 GPA with a 21 ACT.

For reference, Ole Miss entrance requirements uses a sliding scale that ranges from a 2.5 with a 16 ACT to a 2.0 with a 18 ACT, so their requirements are in fact lower than Witchita St.

However, the schools are at liberty to allow entrance to students that don't meet those requirements through a review process.  Universities are notorious for enrolling athletes that don't meet those requirements.  So, unless you truly believe, that Arkansas, or any other SEC school except maybe Vandy, would turn down a 4* athlete because he had less than a 3.0 GPA, then Witchita St, and SEC schools have the same minimum requirements, those laid out by the NCAA, for incoming HS athletes.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: jjdlc on May 19, 2017, 07:49:23 am
The following is universal for high school athletes across D1 athletic schools.

The SEC does not enforce any other requirements on top of the NCAA's requirements for HS athletes for it's member schools.  It does have extra requirements for JUCO athletes transferring to member schools.

Individual schools may have higher standards which must be met for incoming athletes, Standford is a well known school which does so. 

Arkansas's entrance requirements for incoming freshman is a 3.0 GPA and a 20 ACT, Witchita State's requirements are a 2.5 GPA with a 21 ACT.

For reference, Ole Miss entrance requirements uses a sliding scale that ranges from a 2.5 with a 16 ACT to a 2.0 with a 18 ACT, so their requirements are in fact lower than Witchita St.

However, the schools are at liberty to allow entrance to students that don't meet those requirements through a review process.  Universities are notorious for enrolling athletes that don't meet those requirements.  So, unless you truly believe, that Arkansas, or any other SEC school except maybe Vandy, would turn down a 4* athlete because he had less than a 3.0 GPA, then Witchita St, and SEC schools have the same minimum requirements, those laid out by the NCAA, for incoming HS athletes.

I would like to be a fly on the wall when Mike and coaches discussed why they did not offer a very good 6'5+ athletic bb player who had Reaves stats.    Or were we just out recruited????

BannerMountainMan

I'm just going to say it right now Connor V. Does not need to be a Hog, he can not keep the pace, he can barely play the slow game they have at Baptist Prep. Yes he can shoot the ball but he can't play defense I mean he can block shots but he cannot move well and he will get bullied in the lane if you have a 6'10 post man. The tallest he has play against is about 6'5 and they pushed him around then. Just saying
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 19, 2017, 09:36:17 am
I would like to be a fly on the wall when Mike and coaches discussed why they did not offer a very good 6'5+ athletic bb player who had Reaves stats.    Or were we just out recruited????

Try being a fly on the wall in Hogville, then you would know that Austin had academic issues that kept most major colleges away except Wichita State.
Hogs up! Covid down!

niels_boar

Quote from: HogsonHicks on May 18, 2017, 07:33:16 pm
You said the '18 team would be bigger than the '94 team and I pointed out you were wrong. Change the narrative and add qualifiers (for example, projecting who will or won't play) all you want, but you won't be right.

Your main point of being bigger is accurate. No big deal.

I'm not changing the .............. narrative.  When I said the team would be bigger, I was thinking of what we would probably put on the court in 2018 versus what we actually put on the court in '94.  By your reasoning the team would have been bigger the last four years if we had put Skipper in uniform and had him wave a towel on the bench for forty minutes.  That doesn't make sense. There's a reason Pomeroy weights by minutes when looking at sizes of teams.

Look at what happened in the championship game the next season.  UCLA and Arkansas were exactly the same height when weighted by minutes.  Other than Zidek, Arkansas had a lot more beef.  However, UCLA could guard our one undersized elite post-scorer one-on-one with Zidek.  UCLA played 6-8, 217 lb Ed O'Bannon for 40 minutes at PF.  He was basically a sleek combo SF/PF.  We had two guys on the bench 6-10+ and 250 lb+ and another 6-9/265 lb PF.  Not one of them could punish UCLA inside for playing a string bean at PF and force Zidek on a big.  Dillard played almost as much as Wilson and Robinson combined off the bench.

The Bruins shut down Corliss (3-16) without doubling him. It probably isn't a coincidence that Stewart and Thurman went 2 of 12 from the arc.  Get this. UCLA had 20 TOs and made 2 treys.  They won by 11.  They moidered us inside. 21 offensive rebounds. They rebounded 55% of their misses.  They outscored us on deuces 62 - 36.  That's not a team that could bully quality opponents inside with size.  Our bigs were inconsistent role players that occasionally rose up with big games. 

Wilson and Robinson put us over the hump to get a NC with a big game here and there, but the heart of that team when the chips were down was Beck, McDaniel, Thurman, Stewart, and Corliss.  That's an average sized perimeter squad with 6-6 and 6-9 at forward.  Pitino said that team was Corliss, CNR, and role players.  Corliss was our inside game.  Looking at that roster, I appreciate him more every year.  What a freak.  If you replace him with an average college forward, I'm not sure we are in the tournament, probably the bubble. All those shooters would have had to take a lot more contested shots. I don't see how you can argue that the '94 team was effectively big if we played Scotty Thurman at SF and the most important player was a 6-6 PF.  We rarely had two guys over 6-6 on the court at the same time.