Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

32 years ago today, Alvin Robertson did this—

Started by Tejano Jawg, February 18, 2018, 01:45:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

Quadruple-double—February 18, 1986.

Playing for the San Antonio Spurs, Alvin is the only non-center in NBA history to do it. And there's only been 5 of them, with the great Akeem having 2. Alvin's stat line: 20 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals.

Sidenote—there were certain stats that weren't officially kept during Wilt's time, or he'd be all over these records too. But still, he'd just be one more center on the list.

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

warriorlion

Wish we had someone with the grit and toughness Alvin played with on every hog basketball and football team!  He got screwed over by the legal system and will never achieve the fame for his on the court record he should have.  He made some mistakes in life, but he paid for those and a lot more when he was charged in a prostitution ring that was made up.  Only took like five years for the charges to be dropped.  Hope he can overcome that, but be really hard to regain your life after that.

pigture perfect

Loved Alvin Robertson. Don't know enough about his legal troubles to comment. I do hope he's doing well now.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hog are ya

Yes I remember this!  One of my all time favorite hogs.  In my opinion, the best ever "on ball" defender to ever wear a hog jersey.  He and Walker throwing that d on guards was a thing of beauty!

SIDENOTE ALVIN ROBERTSON STORY-  I was in Highschool and made a trip up to the hill for a weekend circa 82.  Ended up at an apt late night on Sat with just a handful of people hanging out drinking, whatnot. The hogs basketball team had a road game at Rice or Baylor or somewhere, minus two players, Robertson and as I recall, Robert Kitchen?  They were suspended for something, and were there hanging with us.  Being from small town Ark and a HUGE hog fan, I was in awe as Alvin and I drank beer together and played three card monte!

After about an hour of this, he'd won my entire wallet!  I worked hard on the farm 6 days a week in the summers so I always had cash, and there was a little over a $100 in it.  That was ALOT of money back then.  He won it all, including the wallet, and I didn't care because I was hanging out with Alvin freakin Robertson!

When it came time to call it a night, he stuffed the wallet, with ALL the cash in it, into my coat pocket! I tried to give it back to him, he wouldn't take it.  We hugged it out, said goodbye......

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hog are ya on February 19, 2018, 03:27:35 am
Yes I remember this!  One of my all time favorite hogs.  In my opinion, the best ever "on ball" defender to ever wear a hog jersey.  He and Walker throwing that d on guards was a thing of beauty!

SIDENOTE ALVIN ROBERTSON STORY-  I was in Highschool and made a trip up to the hill for a weekend circa 82.  Ended up at an apt late night on Sat with just a handful of people hanging out drinking, whatnot. The hogs basketball team had a road game at Rice or Baylor or somewhere, minus two players, Robertson and as I recall, Robert Kitchen?  They were suspended for something, and were there hanging with us.  Being from small town Ark and a HUGE hog fan, I was in awe as Alvin and I drank beer together and played three card monte!

After about an hour of this, he'd won my entire wallet!  I worked hard on the farm 6 days a week in the summers so I always had cash, and there was a little over a $100 in it.  That was ALOT of money back then.  He won it all, including the wallet, and I didn't care because I was hanging out with Alvin freakin Robertson!

When it came time to call it a night, he stuffed the wallet, with ALL the cash in it, into my coat pocket! I tried to give it back to him, he wouldn't take it.  We hugged it out, said goodbye......
Did you iron his pants that evening?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The Kid

Good collegiate memories of Alvin & Big Joe taking down Phi Slama Jama
on a Sunday morning CBS broadcast from Barnhill Arena.

Handed the only conference loss to the Cougars on the last day of the 1983-84 regular season.

Let's get the train back on the tracks.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Alvin was a stud, one more in the long line of great Arkansas guards. And NBA D-Player of the Year. Years later, I remember hearing an interview with Joe Kleine. He talked about how incredibly hard AR worked on his offensive game after practices, since he knew he already had a great defensive game. Also, if you remember, those 2 won gold medals in the 1984 Olympics, the last team that was made up of college players.

cityhog

Quote from: The Kid on February 19, 2018, 11:05:26 am
Good collegiate memories of Alvin & Big Joe taking down Phi Slama Jama
on a Sunday morning CBS broadcast from Barnhill Arena.

Handed the only conference loss to the Cougars on the last day of the 1983-84 regular season.

I. Was. There. :)

Kevin

Quote from: cityhog on February 19, 2018, 11:48:16 am
I. Was. There. :)

I was there also. stormed the court that day. no studying got done that sunday night
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

travelinhog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 18, 2018, 01:45:42 pm
Quadruple-double—February 18, 1986.

Playing for the San Antonio Spurs, Alvin is the only non-center in NBA history to do it. And there's only been 5 of them, with the great Akeem having 2. Alvin's stat line: 20 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals.

Sidenote—there were certain stats that weren't officially kept during Wilt's time, or he'd be all over these records too. But still, he'd just be one more center on the list.

Can anyone remember AR's college breakout game? I don't remember the opponent or the year. In the first half of that game, AR played like normal. After he came out from halftime, it was like the light came on for AR. I remember at the time thinking, that something must have happened on the locker room. Except for pressure time at the end of a game, I have never seen a player change like that during a game. From that 2nd half forward, AR was an NBA level player.

hawg66

Quote from: travelinhog on February 19, 2018, 12:47:42 pm
Can anyone remember AR's college breakout game? I don't remember the opponent or the year. In the first half of that game, AR played like normal. After he came out from halftime, it was like the light came on for AR. I remember at the time thinking, that something must have happened on the locker room. Except for pressure time at the end of a game, I have never seen a player change like that during a game. From that 2nd half forward, AR was an NBA level player.
I think it was in the SWC tourney his first year. He had been averaging around 10 ppg. Nothing memorable for sure. He came out in the tourney and was arguably the best player there. Made the all-tourney team.

pignparadise

"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

cityhog

Quote from: pignparadise on February 19, 2018, 02:41:07 pm
https://www.si.com/vault/1983/01/24/625119/brother-can-they-smother

This brings back fond/funny memories. Back when SI was the ONLY sports mag around, my mother, God love her, would inevitably cancel our SI  subscription because they somehow disrespected the Hogs in some way every year. But, like clock work, she'd renew every year at the beginning of football season and start the love/hate process all over.

liljo

Quote from: hawg66 on February 19, 2018, 01:32:22 pm
I think it was in the SWC tourney his first year. He had been averaging around 10 ppg. Nothing memorable for sure. He came out in the tourney and was arguably the best player there. Made the all-tourney team.

I was at the '82 SWC final in "Barnhill South" (Reunion Arena in Dallas). Alvin was MVP of the championship game. I can still remember the turning point. 2nd half, Sutton threw a fit over a call and ripped his jacket clean off, slamming it on the floor and getting a technical foul.  Houston shot a few free throws and had a slight lead. They then got possession, but AR stole the inbound, made the outlet, and received it on the other end for a gliding layup.

For the next several minutes the Hogs went wild. Houston had trouble with every pass. Getting the ball to half-court was almost impossible. The Hogs won by about 15 points.

I lived and worked in Dallas and several of my friends had come down for the tournament. I got to talk to Darrell Walker for a minute or two somewhere along the line.

Those Razorbacks teams played man-to-man defense as well as it's ever been played. They challenged everything.

Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

lumphog

upperdeck_hawg

Alvin and Lee Mayberry are my favorite guards of all time
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

oldhog63

Watched a practice during the 81-82 season when Joe Kleine was not eligible. After practice Alvin and Joe were playing around to see who could touch the highest on the backboard. It was close but Alvin touched higher. Alvin was so quick but what I remember about him was his jumping ability. Fun to watch him play.

Tejano Jawg

I was at the '82 SWC Tournament in Dallas as well, my freshman year at the U of A. (The first several wins of my 15 win total in Reunion Arena over the years.) Unbelievable atmosphere and an amazing tourney from Alvin. And the MVP. Someone said afterwards that Sutton was sort of saving him...not starting him until the very end of the season, almost like he was hiding a "secret weapon." Sutton was pretty smart, so could be true.

Alvin and Darrell were sure a great pair...one of the best couple backcourts in college basketball.

I had Alvin in my geology lab my sophomore year. He sat across from me a few times, as we passed the Quartzite sample back and forth. Sadly, I have no other exciting stories...of drinking and gambling.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HognotinMemphis

Alvin was an early version of Russell Westbrook.

Unfortunately, I don't think his life has gone so great last I heard. As for Darrell Walker, he is head coach of a small college in or near Atlanta. I talked to Darrell at an event in LR recently where he was one of the speakers. A deal honoring Curt Bradbury. Met Darrell's wife. Darrell looks good and seems like he is doing well. He remembered some of the stories I brought up. Fun reminiscing with a great U of A Razorback bball player. We were at Arkansas as same time.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The Kid

Quote from: lumphog on February 19, 2018, 08:19:30 pm
I was too  ELECTRIC CROWD!!!!!

My ears were ringing as we shuffled out of Barnhill. It was supercharged.

The gang & me wore sunglasses to combat those crazy bright lights carted in for TV.

Wasn't it like an 11 a.m. tip off or something?

Enjoyed waving to Olajuwon as he went to the bench after his fifth foul.
Let's get the train back on the tracks.

oldman1015

Quote from: liljo on February 19, 2018, 08:10:36 pm
I was at the '82 SWC final in "Barnhill South" (Reunion Arena in Dallas). Alvin was MVP of the championship game. I can still remember the turning point. 2nd half, Sutton threw a fit over a call and ripped his jacket clean off, slamming it on the floor and getting a technical foul.  Houston shot a few free throws and had a slight lead. They then got possession, but AR stole the inbound, made the outlet, and received it on the other end for a gliding layup.

For the next several minutes the Hogs went wild. Houston had trouble with every pass. Getting the ball to half-court was almost impossible. The Hogs won by about 15 points.

I lived and worked in Dallas and several of my friends had come down for the tournament. I got to talk to Darrell Walker for a minute or two somewhere along the line.

Those Razorbacks teams played man-to-man defense as well as it's ever been played. They challenged everything.

Coach Sutton was a master of when to get a technical.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 20, 2018, 01:00:18 pm
For all the talk and remembrance there has been around the '92 Olympic basketball team, that '84 team was pretty salty on its own....(though some went on to the '92 team too)...

Steve Alford   
Patrick Ewing   
Vern Fleming   
Michael Jordan   
Joe Kleine   
Jon Koncak
Chris Mullin
Sam Perkins
Alvin Robertson
Wayman Tisdale   
Jeff Turner   
Leon Wood

No doubt, his defensive prowess impressed Bob Knight and that's saying something.   Robertson and Walker were fun to watch as they suffocated an opposing team. 

Anyone recall some of the last few cuts on the '84 team?

Yes the 1984 Men's Olympic Team was loaded with future NBA LEGENDS!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawg66

k.c.hawg

Quote from: hawg66 on February 20, 2018, 01:08:15 pm
I think Barkley was the last one cut.

At first Bob Knight said Barkley should drop his playing weight from 284 to 215. Then after watching him play said, asking him to drop to 215 would be like asking Raquel Welch to have plastic surgery.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Dominicanhog

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 20, 2018, 02:14:08 pm
another of our great opportunities missed... Walker, Alvin and Joe... similar to O'Mayday and the Triplets..

Never will forget the 82/83 season having just watched TCU shock the Hogs in the opener of the tournament at Reunion. Going to the bar at the Hyatt and wanting to get hammered. Then watching hundreds upon hundreds of Hog fans pulling in on shuttles and unloading their bags for the weekend stay and not realizing the Hogs had already been knocked out of the tournament!! People in shock, we had been in Top 10 most of the year and had only lost to Houston. Glad I was already medicating!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: The Kid on February 20, 2018, 10:45:59 am
Enjoyed waving to Olajuwon as he went to the bench after his fifth foul.

That game late in the '84 season...I'll always say that was the loudest I ever heard Barnhill. As more people realized the whistle was on Akeem, and that it was number 5, the noise built to an unbelievable roar.

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 20, 2018, 02:30:36 pm
Never will forget the 82/83 season having just watched TCU shock the Hogs in the opener of the tournament at Reunion.

I was there too. My friends and I were so stupid...after our loss we talked about how much money we'd make by scalping tickets to the TCU fans. Hey, we'll use the cash and go to Six Flags or something! Riggghtt...us and 9 THOUSAND other people selling tickets. We just said screw it and watched TCU-Cougs. My Reunion Arena/Hog record was 15-2. This game was the first of the 2.