Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I like the GOBN....

Started by Tweeter, November 22, 2017, 08:17:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

The GOBN in my opinion has really helped to advance the athletic program considerably over the years.  It seems to me that where we've run into problems in the past is when there were too few people in the GOBN with power with a majority voice.  We've also had equally bad problems when the administration wielded too much power without accepting input from the GOBN.  It makes no sense to alienate your big contributors.  The best thing about the GOBN is they care deeply about Razorback Athletics.  In a perfect world I would like to see a committee of 20 or so members of the GOBN that worked in consultation with the administration on critical athletic coaching searches and infrastructure plans.  Having too much power on either side of the program can have seriously negative long term consequences.

On a whole I trust the GOBN way more than I do a Jeff Long strong armed approach to Razorback athletics.

ShadowHawg

GOBN in Arkansas is more concerned with access to the program than they are with winning.

They hired Nutt and then kept him in place for a decade until there was practically a full revolt by the fans. Jerry Jones is not part of the GOBN here. The GOBN didn't stop Grobe. Grobe stopped Grobe.

The GOBN was already starting to work to undermine Petrino because as long as he was winning the perception of Long would positive.

The GOBN was putting together a buyout for Nolan in 95-96 because he wouldn't celebrate the 94 NC with them the way they wanted. Nolan hated the GOBN here.

Worst,  these morons are constantly having [CENSORED] measuring contests based on who has the most pull here. The disfunction of both football and basketball from the mid 90's until the end of Nutt was the doing of the GOBN. No thanks.

ricepig

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 22, 2017, 09:57:13 am
Well, since you've announced your running, what is your position on a couple issues.. national debt, federal spending, insurance, abortion, immigration, climate change, Brexit, North Korea, Iran, Irag, Syria, Merkel, NFL standing, sitting, not singing, NBA, cost of ownership for a professional team, should Texas succeed from the US, should Cantalon succeed from Spain, Greek debt, farm subsidies, ethanol subsidies, child subsidies, illegal substitutions, ... and anything you may want add...

Free drinks for all!  Oh, and increased farm subsidies, after that, I'll be golfing, no time for decision making.

JIHawg

When most fans got perturbed with the GOBN was when it's then president, Jim Lindsey, kept Nutt from going to Nebraska.  He ruined our chance to get rid of Bozo.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 10:51:42 am
I'll be golfing, no time for decision making.

Well there is precedent...

HotlantaHog

Have no problem with GOBN so long as the program stays clean and is a winner.

Captain Hogthrob

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 22, 2017, 08:49:19 am
Because it's been so much better under Johnelle and Bielema.

Right?!?
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

WalHog2018

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 09:01:39 am
Near as I can tell, "GOBN" is comprised of successful, wealthy, educated men who have power and influence. Those seem to me to be desirable qualities.
this is 100% accurate

Captain Hogthrob

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 09:36:54 am
I'd be a lot smarter if I inherited millions, lol....
We could pay people to think for us ....
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

sowmonella

Would someone please name 5 members of the GOBN?? Any 5 please.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

TOM "tbw1"

Lack of institutional control may be on the horizon
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

a0ashle

Quote from: sowmonella on November 22, 2017, 11:15:19 am

I'm interested too. Because if the GOBN exists and we don't know who they are, why the hell would we want them to run anything anonymously and without accountability...

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: a0ashle on November 22, 2017, 11:16:47 am
I'm interested too. Because if the GOBN exists and we don't know who they are, why the hell would we want them to run anything anonymously and without accountability...

You're asking rumormongers to nail down facts? Good luck.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Simple Swineman on November 22, 2017, 08:55:50 am
Hate to break it to you, but every school has a GOBN that runs things. Gus has realized that the Auburn GOBN is waaaay more dysfunctional than the Arkansas GOBN.

The "Midwest Hilly Billy angst" has a grip on those folks who practice washing the twang out of their voice on the way to work...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

IronHog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 09:01:39 am
Near as I can tell, "GOBN" is comprised of successful, wealthy, educated men who have power and influence. Those seem to me to be desirable qualities.

There is a middle ground

Unchecked you get the Lindsey-Nutt fiasco

Too far the other way you get egg head Long ruining the football

Balanced you get results
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

wildturkey8

Quote from: IronHog on November 22, 2017, 11:23:34 am

There is a middle ground

Balanced you get results
Frank Broyles at the height of his power was the check and balance.  John White destroyed all that, while thinking he was destroying the gobn.  In the end White made them more powerful.

a0ashle

Quote from: IronHog on November 22, 2017, 11:23:34 am

There is a middle ground

Balanced you get results

How do you hold mostly secret GOBN back, especially if they had enough sway to fire Long? 

JIHawg

There are several GOBNs.  Some of the main ones are 1.  Springdale people who have one agenda, getting Gus here.  Ronnie Floyd, the Tysons, and others.
2.  Former players and Frank's friends-Tommy Boyer, Harold Horton, Scott Bull, Chuck Dycus, Bill Montgomery, the Lindseys, Jerry Jones.
3.  Warren Stephens and Stephens employees and clients, among them Kevin Scanlon
4.  Statewide construction company owners, think Pickens Bond, Baldwin Shell, (Bob Shell).
That should give you a pretty clear picture of who they are.

IronHog

Quote from: a0ashle on November 22, 2017, 11:27:35 am
How do you hold mostly secret GOBN back, especially if they had enough sway to fire Long? 

Only fired him after B.B. lost enough

Long was a powerful man the day he fired BP

IronHog

Quote from: wildturkey8 on November 22, 2017, 11:26:28 am
Frank Broyles at the height of his power was the check and balance.  John White destroyed all that, while thinking he was destroying the gobn.  In the end White made them more powerful.

They are as powerful as they want to be $$$$$

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: JIHawg on November 22, 2017, 11:29:44 am
There are several GOBNs.  Some of the main ones are 1.  Springdale people who have one agenda, getting Gus here.  Ronnie Floyd, the Tysons, and others.
2.  Former players and Frank's friends-Tommy Boyer, Harold Horton, Scott Bull, Chuck Dycus, Bill Montgomery, the Lindseys
3.  Warren Stephens and Stephens employees and clients, among them Kevin Scanlon
4.  Statewide construction company owners, think Pickens Bond, Baldwin Shell, (Bob Shell).
That should give you a pretty clear picture of who they are.

If you'll pardon me for saying so, that sounds like more than one network.

JIHawg

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 22, 2017, 11:33:18 am

I said as much.  But the all have each other's phone numbers and take the calls.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: JIHawg on November 22, 2017, 11:37:24 am
I said as much.  But the all have each other's phone numbers and take the calls.

I wish we could see the scheming going on. 

Lady Razorback

I am going to take a stab at it. 

Jerry Jones
Alex Dillard
Tyson family patriarch
George family patriarch
Stephens family/business

That's a start, off the top of my head. 

Lady Razorback

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 22, 2017, 11:33:18 am

Like your post.  Vratsinas is also one of those construction GOBN.  Tom Scheuck.  Sheffield Nelson.  Reynie Rutledge 
I called the Bruce James, Terry Don Phillips, Ken Hatfield, David Bazzel group as influential voices and not necessarily GOBN. 

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 22, 2017, 11:49:30 am
Like your post.  Vratsinas is also one of those construction GOBN.  Tom Scheuck.  Sheffield Nelson.  Reynie Rutledge 
I called the Bruce James, Terry Don Phillips, Ken Hatfield, David Bazzel group as influential voices and not necessarily GOBN.

I like Terry Don.  He's the only one I know personally.